The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manny Steward - Some Recent News (RIP)

+34
Fists of Fury
paperbag_puncher
TheMackemMawler
Seanusarrilius
joeyjojo618
hogey
Imperial Ghosty
BallchinianMuffwig
6oldenbhoy
Mr Bounce
Nico the gman
Rowley
AlexHuckerby
The genius of PBF
ONETWOFOREVER
rodders
BoxingFan88
azania
JabMachineMK2
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Sugar Boy Sweetie
monty junior
ShahenshahG
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Union Cane
Mind the windows Tino.
88Chris05
Mayweathers cellmate
bellchees
TopHat24/7
Daz
seanmichaels
School Project
38 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Manny Steward - Some Recent News (RIP) Empty Manny Steward - Some Recent News (RIP)

Post by School Project Thu 25 Oct 2012, 10:27 am

There’s been some conflicting reports recently about Manny Steward in the media – it was first mentioned last month that Manny had cancer, a number of boxers were Tweeting “pray for Manny” and the news reached the smaller Boxing News sites. These were dismissed as Manny was diagnosed with diverticulitis (quite a severe stomach problem that can cause a number of aislements).

I saw this morning on Twitter that Manny was taken ill, however the reports don’t clarify what the issue is – As I’m in work I’m kind of limited to do any digging but thought I’d let you guys know in case you had access to more news.

I hope the guy is alright and this news I’ve seen is blown out of proportion as Manny is a great trainer and fantastic pundit in boxing.

The news is confirmed and it's sad to read, it seems Manny Steward has sadly passed away following a short battle with an undisclosed stomach condition. I'm sure we would all agree that the man has shaped the careers of more than enough Hall of Famers and legends of boxing to propel himself into the boxing record books.

He has always been one of the most respected AND respectable trainers in the sport and a real gentleman. Boxing won't be the same without him.

RIP Manny Steward. P4P one of the greatest boxing trainers to have graced this planet.

Last edited by School Project on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 10:12 pm; edited 4 times in total

School Project

Back to top Go down

Manny Steward - Some Recent News (RIP) Empty Re: Manny Steward - Some Recent News (RIP)

Post by seanmichaels Thu 25 Oct 2012, 10:34 am

Manny Steward?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Manny Steward - Some Recent News (RIP) Empty Re: Manny Steward - Some Recent News (RIP)

Post by Daz Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:37 am

It doesnt sound good mate - this is on USA today:

11:14 PM EDT October 24. 2012 - DETROIT -- Amid rumors circulating among the boxing fraternity that legendary Kronk Gym trainer and manager and boxing Hall of Famer Emanuel Steward had died or was on life support today, his sister Diane Steward-Jones refuted the fact.

"Emanuel is still with us," Steward-Jones told the Detroit Free Press this afternoon. "He hasn't left his room. There is no shade over his head."

Steward, 68, who guided such Detroit boxers as Thomas Hearns and Hilmer Kenty to world titles, has been in poor health for several months. He is believed to be in a Chicago-area hospital, although his family will not disclose details.

Steward-Jones said her brother, in fact, had had a Reiki -- a palm healing or hands-on-healing alternative-medicine procedure -- treatment today "to give him more energy."

Added Steward-Jones, who is with the fight icon at his hospital: "He's certainly had better days, but he is still here on planet Earth."

Steward-Jones said her brother believed in using alternative medicine in conjunction with traditional medicine.

Some reports printed in the past couple of months have suggested that Steward is suffering from colon cancer, although his sister maintains he was operated on recently for diverticulosis, a serious stomach ailment.

Close friend Jackie Kallen, who worked with Hearns at the Kronk on McGraw Street in Detroit and later managed world champion James Toney, said, "I pray to God it's a false rumor. I just hope reports of his demise are greatly exaggerated."

Anita Ruiz, executive director of the Kronk Gym Foundation and a close companion of Steward, was shocked at hearing the rumors.

"Oh, my God, I don't know anything," she told the Free Press. "I can't comment further."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/boxing/2012/10/24/trainer-emanuel-steward-seriously-ill-but-still-alive/1655821/

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:38 am

seanmichaels wrote:Manny Steward?

Yes, Manny Steward...

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:46 am

Thanks Daz,

That's the story I saw posted on Twitter... There's no clarity within that piece at all, it's as though someone just heard a rumour, added some quotes and posted it as a story.

I know people wish for privacy at times, but I jsut don't know what to make of this.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:49 am

From a few articles I have read - one thing is for sure - this is very serious indeed. Terrible news.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 25 Oct 2012, 12:39 pm

I remember a similar series of events when Joe Frazier passed away... "is he isn't he?".

This is pure speculation, but is it possible that the news hasn't broke of how serious it is to help protect the upcoming Wlad fight?

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 25 Oct 2012, 12:45 pm

Well according to ESPN - Johnathan Banks has already started training Wlad.

Heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko knew he would eventually have to make the decision and he finally did this week, replacing his longtime trainer, Hall of Famer Emanuel Steward, with pro heavyweight and longtime sparring partner Johnathon Banks.

Steward is very ill and unable to train Klitschko for his 13th title defense against Mariusz Wach (27-0, 15 KOs). They meet on Nov. 10 (Epix and EpixHD.com) in Hamburg, Germany.

Banks, an aspiring trainer, is a Steward disciple and been a part of Klitschko's training camps since he began working with Steward in 2004.

Klitschko has been training for the fight in Austria for several weeks, but Steward typically would not arrive at training camp until about three weeks out from the fight, which is when Klitschko would begin his sparring. So when Banks arrived in Austria with other sparring partners on Sunday, Klitschko said he asked him if he would serve as his head cornerman for the fight.

"There is nothing I have to change or adjust," Klitschko told ESPN.com on Wednesday. "I have always talked with (Banks) through our sparring sessions and about the strategy for the fights all of these years. He has a very analytical mind. I think he was a good student of Emanuel. He and (longtime Steward assistant) James (Bashir) have always been part of my camp and will work with me for this one.

"I know (Banks) is not experienced as a coach at all, but it doesn't scare me. Yes, he's starting at a very high level with a championship fight, but he is comfortable with it and confident. He knows the business and he knows boxing. He knows me and how I function, so there is nothing new I have to adjust."

Klitschko said when he asked Banks about assuming the role, he was happy to see his immediate, and confident, response.

"My first question was would he think about doing it," Klitschko said. "He was excited and said, sure, he would do it. There was no doubt in his eyes. It was something that I have had in the back of my mind once I got the news that Emanuel would not be able to be in camp. After I asked (Banks) about doing it, he was very excited, very happy and inspired by it."

Klitschko (58-3, 50 KOs) said Banks' role will be the same as Steward's -- to go over strategy and fine tune the things he worked on in training for the several weeks before the trainer would usually arrive.

"I'm very experienced and I have the knowledge from all the years I have done," Klitschko said. "Fine tuning and the strategy was what we were always working on with Emanuel, which was enjoyable.

"Johnathon has been growing up in the house of Emanuel. He has the knowledge and the sprit of (Steward's) Kronk Gym (in Detroit). But we are missing Emanuel and we hope he will come back and be my coach, but while he is not here, this will work well."

Banks (28-1-1, 18 KOs), 30, of Detroit, still has his own aspirations as a fighter. He fought for a cruiserweight world title in 2009 but was knocked out in the eighth round by Tomasz Adamek. He then moved up to heavyweight, where he is 8-0-1 against middling opposition, and has been featured on several Klitschko undercards.

Banks has his most significant heavyweight bout on Nov. 17 in Atlantic City, N.J., where he will take on top American prospect Seth Mitchell in the co-feature of an HBO card headlined by lightweight titleholder Antonio DeMarco's defense against Adrien Broner. Coincidentally, Mitchell (25-0-1, 19 KOs) has been mentioned prominently by Klitschko as a potential future opponent.

Steward, who also works as an HBO commentator, has been off the air for several months and not worked with his fighters while battling an undisclosed, life-threatening illness.

Klitschko declined to discuss the particulars of Steward's illness, saying that his health was a private family matter. But Klitschko said he spoke "briefly" to Steward "a couple of days ago" and that Steward endorsed the idea of having Banks work as the head trainer for the fight with Wach.

"I've been talking to him about different scenarios and situations," Klitschko said. "But whatever happens with Emanuel and his health is more important than boxing."

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/8547447/emanuel-steward-trainer-wladimir-klitschko-replaced-health-reasons

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 25 Oct 2012, 1:00 pm

Daz wrote:It doesnt sound good mate - this is on USA today:

Steward-Jones said her brother, in fact, had had a Reiki -- a palm healing or hands-on-healing alternative-medicine procedure -- treatment today "to give him more energy."

what a dick. homeopathic fairytale BS.

Hope he get's some actual medicine soon though and get's better. Thoughts with his family, other than the naughty naughty boy that suggested 'palm-healing'.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 25 Oct 2012, 1:56 pm

Right,

There's a LOT of buzz on Twitter about it now.

Buncey, Hatton and a few more writing RIP but there's still no confirmed reports of it. Apparently John Banks tweeted it and Richard Towers confirmed this death but I can't find a damned thing.

I don't like the sound of this - It mirrors the day when Smokin' Joe passed away...

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 25 Oct 2012, 1:57 pm

Crying or Very sad

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:05 pm

School Project wrote:Right,

Buncey, Hatton and a few more writing RIP but there's still no confirmed reports of it. Apparently John Banks tweeted it and Richard Towers confirmed this death but I can't find a damned thing.

I don't like the sound of this - It mirrors the day when Smokin' Joe passed away...

Richard Towers has been sparring Wlad in his camp right? Man on the inside, should be pretty reliable..... Sad

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:15 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
School Project wrote:Right,

Richard Towers has been sparring Wlad in his camp right? Man on the inside, should be pretty reliable..... Sad

Yeah he has, John Banks is Stewards right hand man and he's confirmed it on Twitter...

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:20 pm

Sad sad news.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:22 pm

According to WIKI he died yesterday, and they are rarely wrong.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:22 pm

Oh no! This is terrible. Modern legend of the sport. A fantastic trainer and his knowledge of the sport was astonishing.

RIP Manny

rose

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:34 pm

..and yet the BBC don't have anything about it therefore, given their commitment to keeing us informed of the latest boxing news, I will still consider Mr Steward to be among the living.

....however, just coming through on the Beeb that Henry Cooper has passed away!

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:43 pm

DAVE667 wrote:..and yet the BBC don't have anything about it therefore, given their commitment to keeing us informed of the latest boxing news, I will still consider Mr Steward to be among the living.

....however, just coming through on the Beeb that Henry Cooper has passed away!

Haha.. Plus the Beeb are a little busy running around like blue-ass flies following the Jimmy Savile allegations!

I would never trust them for breaking news in boxing.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:47 pm

What Jimmy Savile allegations?

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:57 pm

DAVE667 wrote:What Jimmy Savile allegations?

When my sister was about five she wrote to Sir Jimmy and asked to meet Chesney Hawkes. And the old dog never even got back to her.

Probably something to do with that, I'd imagine.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:00 pm

Something similar happened to me. I wrote to Jimmy Savile and The Really Wild Show in the same week. I got a letter back from The Really Wild Show saying thanks but no thanks but nothing from Sir Jimmy, not even a letter of acknowledgement. I was devastated at the time but I consider it a lucky escape now.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:01 pm

Tragic news, thoughts are with his family and friends.

Deeply insensitive, but might it be worth sticking a tenner on Wach? (Currently 12/1)
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:02 pm

Tony Hart never put my picture up in the Gallery either!

How long before Chesney Hawkes comes out and claims he was assaulted by Jimmy? Still, it would give your sister some comfort to realise that there was a good reason he never got back in touch.

Anyway, time to put aside all thought of that disgusting sexual predator (and Jimmy Savile) and remember Manny Steward.

RIP Manny!

Back to top Go down

Manny Steward - Some Recent News (RIP) Empty Manny

Post by Guest Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:03 pm

Union Cane wrote:Tragic news, thoughts are with his family and friends.

Deeply insensitive, but might it be worth sticking a tenner on Wach? (Currently 12/1)

More likely the fight will be cancelled and a Haye rematch signed at a later date

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:05 pm

Shocked Wow

With what Wlad said a few weeks ago I honestly thought it wasn't serious.

RIP Manny

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:05 pm

Kind of my fault for bringing that horrid little man Jimmy Savile up...

But seeing as Manny Steward has passed away, think it may be worth not talking about that vile creature.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:07 pm

I'm genuinely sorry to hear that. Boxing has lost another legend. R.I.P

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:07 pm

I'm so gutted if this is true, i loved listening to Steward. One of the ATG trainers and will always be remembered for his superb work with two of the great heavyweights in recent times.

RIP Manny

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:09 pm

Union Cane wrote:Tragic news, thoughts are with his family and friends.

If anything, Wlad will be fighting in the honour of Manny if anything... you would probably see a more focused and agressive Wlad. Though it wouldn't have been a bad shout.

Wach can dig a punch afterall.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:12 pm

Even if Steward isn't dead it'll be too much hassle to retract all the RIP's, so we'll have to carry on as if he is regardless - like in Catch 22 when Doc Daneeka is still alive but because he's already been written off as dead everyone just ignores him to avoid the extra paperwork.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:13 pm

It's a sad day for the sport, alright.

RIP Manny. Never takes long for his name to enter your head when you start to think of the great trainers. Built a real dynasty with the Kronk gym in the seventies / eighties and was doing fine work with the best Heavyweight in the world right up until the end.

A sad loss - thoughts go out to his loved ones and his fighters, both past and present.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:16 pm

Manny to Lewis (v Holyfield) "You getting in range but you ain't doin' sh!t when you there!"

Manny to Lewis (v Tyson) "Get this m*therf*cker outta here and let's go home!"

Manny to reporter when watching Barrera fight Jesus Salud (Hamed signed to fight MAB on the back of his uninspired comeback fight post-Morales) "If I'd known he could fight like this I'd never have agreed to fight him"

There've been people over the years who stated that Manny was over-rated as the likes of Hearns were always going to be great fighters etc etc etc but you can't deny that he was able to nurture good fighers into very good/great fighters. There've been plenty over the years who haven't been able to get the best out of decent fighters.

The man knew his trade and it's hard to deny him his place amongst the very best trainers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:18 pm

RIP Manny rose

Last edited by Sugar Boy Sweetie on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:19 pm

Nice one lads, lets talk about a paeophile on a thread regarding the death of a boxing legend.

Come on lads, show some respect
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:21 pm

Sad sad day for the sport, a legend and still one of the most respected faces in boxing today

Wlad will find it hard to fight his next opponent and it could well pustpone the fight

Last edited by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:22 pm

SBS did that cow only have the one teat and sound suspiciously like Jimmy when it moo'ed?

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:22 pm

Agree with Reborn here lads, lets keep it respectful.

R.I.P - made one of my favorite boxers into a top 5 Heavyweight ATG (not Wlad, the other one with a decent jab)

The sport will miss him, and I'll miss his coverage of fights in America. Fantastic pundit.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:23 pm

Get a grip SBS

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:26 pm

RIP Manny angel

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:30 pm

Has he passed away? I haven't seen any news sites actually say that, he is critically ill however.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/boxing/2012/10/24/trainer-emanuel-steward-seriously-ill-but-still-alive/1655821/

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:34 pm

It's been confirmed on the Klitschko facebook page Crying or Very sad

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:36 pm

And hattonboxing.com has an article up about him passing away

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:37 pm

Is that actually run by them? I can't find it on twitter and none of the major news sites are reporting it.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:39 pm

I'm not sure to be honest, i think so but couldn't be sure..

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:40 pm

Wow shocked by this. Very sad news indeed.

RIP rose .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:40 pm

Wasn't he commentating on a fight a couple of weeks back? All seems pretty sudden.

ANyway, a great trainer and will forever be linked with Hearns and the Kronk style of fighting. A true fight factory.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:43 pm

WBN have hastily re-published their announcement with "according to Jonathan Banks" all over it.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:44 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Has he passed away? I haven't seen any news sites actually say that, he is critically ill however.

I'm still at work but have been trying to follow this as much as I can, here's a story from WBN:

http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2012/10/legendary-trainer-emanuel-steward-has.html

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:47 pm

Union Cane wrote:WBN have hastily re-published their announcement with "according to Jonathan Banks" all over it.

I don't think you can find a closer source at the moment than John Banks, after all, he is Manny's protegé and will have been following the news of Manny's health very closely.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:49 pm

School Project wrote:
Union Cane wrote:WBN have hastily re-published their announcement with "according to Jonathan Banks" all over it.

I don't think you can find a closer source at the moment than John Banks, after all, he is Manny's protegé and will have been following the news of Manny's health very closely.

Indeed, but they went from stating it as fact to attributing it to Banks, which kind of implies that they are not so sure.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next