The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manny Steward: Froch will beat Ward

+15
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Seanusarrilius
TRUSSMAN66
joeyjojo618
Rowley
HumanWindmill
oxring
huw
J.Benson II
Michaels, Sean
88Chris05
Scottrf
Jukebox Timebomb
coxy0001
Steffan
19 posters

Go down

Manny Steward: Froch will beat Ward  Empty Manny Steward: Froch will beat Ward

Post by Steffan Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:02 pm

(Original article by Gareth A Davies)

Steward, who has trained a clutch of boxing’s most celebrated fighters in Leis, Klitschko, Tommy Hearns, Oscar de la Hoya, and the great Mexican Julio Cesar Chavez, said WBC supermiddleweight champion Froch has made a huge impression on him.

“People used to say to me the kid has plenty of self-belief but he’s not very good. This was before he had knocked out Jermain Taylor in America.

“But they were wrong. Champion’s are made inside, and Froch is a tough guy inside. That’s the one thing all the best guys who I have worked with – they are mentally tough, arrogant, confident. That’s as important, if not more important, than the boxing skills.”

“That’s why David Haye is interesting in this fight coming up with Wladimir. Haye has the swagger and believes in himself. We have not had that from Wladimir’s other opponents in recent years. That’s why David is dangerous, and why this fight on July 30 is interesting.”

“Froch is a talent like Dennis Andries was. You cannot underestimate his talent. A real tough man, and he’s starting to polish his skills now. In the beginning, I never thought he would do anything.”

Froch is scheduled to face unbeaten American Andre Ward, the WBA supermiddleweight champion, in the biggest match-up of his career in the United States in the last quarter of this year.

“Ward doesn’t beat people, he knows how to win decisions,” said Steward. “They are trying to make him a star but he isn’t there yet.”

“Froch is mentally stronger, and should go out there and hurt Ward. Froch is like Dennis Andries. He doesn’t know how limited he is. But he can get right up there in the pound for pound rankings. That’s what is good for him, but I do also think his boxing skills are improving, and we are seeing that fight by fight.”

Regards

Steffan

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Manny Steward: Froch will beat Ward  Empty Re: Manny Steward: Froch will beat Ward

Post by coxy0001 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:06 pm

Steffie

You trying to break the record for as the number of articles in one day competition?

Rather than plagiarise another article why don't you have a snippet with the link and then give your own view? Not having a go, just don't see how offering us news stories (from another persons point of view) most of us would've seen is productive for debate.

50-50 fight for me, depends if Froch boxes or chooses to trade like he did in the early part of the Johnson fight.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Manny Steward: Froch will beat Ward  Empty Re: Manny Steward: Froch will beat Ward

Post by Steffan Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:08 pm

Cant say I agree personally. Froch is tough but Ward has that slight level of class above him. Ward will win by a UD I reckon. Kessler outclassed Froch. Ward will do the same. Froch's only hope of victory is knocking him out. I doubt that will happen as Froch doesnt normally knock people out

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:10 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Steffie

You trying to break the record for as the number of articles in one day competition?

Rather than plagiarise another article why don't you have a snippet with the link and then give your own view? Not having a go, just don't see how offering us news stories (from another persons point of view) most of us would've seen is productive for debate.

50-50 fight for me, depends if Froch boxes or chooses to trade like he did in the early part of the Johnson fight.

I post the article because some people are on limited internet in work and cant always read the actual webpage. I have given my opinion on this fight. Sorry my articles have yet again not lived up to your high expectations. I can always go back to Rocky quotes and pro-Welsh articles if you really want...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:10 pm

July 30th???? I see Steward is taking this seriously.

I like the bit about Froch beating Ward because of not knowing how rudey poo he is himself.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:12 pm

Steffan wrote:Cant say I agree personally. Froch is tough but Ward has that slight level of class above him. Ward will win by a UD I reckon. Kessler outclassed Froch. Ward will do the same. Froch's only hope of victory is knocking him out. I doubt that will happen as Froch doesnt normally knock people out

Again, depends on how Froch fights as he went to war with Kessler. The version we saw against Abes boxed which showed he can do it rather than just winging from the hips.

Still not sold on Ward personally, Abes had success before he went quiet and he's not exactly SRL reincarnated. If he does his usual rough n tumble stuff with Froch i expect the latter to dish out it worse and frustrate the young gun who's used to refs letting him have it his own way.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:12 pm

Froch struggles with movement, Ward has good movement and is quick and well rounded. Ward wins.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:22 pm

Froch is well in the mix to win this, but I maintain that it's a 60:40 fight in the American's favour. One thing that worries me is Froch's (apparent) belief that nobody can hurt him. If he fights Ward with that mentality, he'll lose. Ward, as we know, isn't that much of a puncher - but if Froch does fight with that aforementioned attitude as he did against Johnson, he'll be taking a lot of clean shots that will catch the judges' eye.

If the forty-two year old, game but limited Johnson was catching Froch so cleanly with regularity, it doesn't bode well for the Ward bout. Yes, each time Froch was hit with the right hand over the top, he instantly brawled back and gave as good as he got. But (and it's a key but) he won't be able to do that against Ward, by my reckoning. Ward is a master of making a fight awkward and frustrating - when he lands on Froch, he won't allow him to start throwing bombs back the way Johnson did. Instead, he'll be landing one big shot over the top of Froch's lower guard and then tying him up as soon as he can, not giving him the chance to score back with shots of his own. Not pretty to watch, but he's a robust lad, strong at 168 lb, and knows how to out-muscle and slow down the guy opposite him.

Froch has to find the right balance. By all means, he does need to shake Ward up and make him respect his own power - but he needs to make sure that this doesn't gradually turn in to a swing from the hip, stand and deliver brawl, because Ward is too good on the counter-punch to not take advantage of the openings which Froch always leaves, save for the Abraham fight.

If THAT version of Froch turns up, I think he can win, and win well. Sadly, I think the version we've come to expect (and saw two or three saturdays back) is more likely to show up, and if he does, he's playing in to Ward's hands.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:24 pm

[quote="Steffan"]

I post the article because some people are on limited internet in work and cant always read the actual webpage. I have given my opinion on this fight. Sorry my articles have yet again not lived up to your high expectations. I can always go back to Rocky quotes and pro-Welsh articles if you really want...

In fairness I think you've run out of material on pro welsh threads. Once you've covered Calzaghe, Church's milkers and that Jenkins bird there's not much else.

Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:26 pm

Steffan wrote:Cant say I agree personally. Froch is tough but Ward has that slight level of class above him. Ward will win by a UD I reckon. Kessler outclassed Froch. Ward will do the same. Froch's only hope of victory is knocking him out. I doubt that will happen as Froch doesnt normally knock people out

Kessler beat Froch in a 115-113 UD. Not sure how that counts as being "outclassed".

Anyway, Ward will probably beat Froch in a close and competitive fight.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:31 pm

J.Benson II wrote:

Kessler beat Froch in a 115-113 UD. Not sure how that counts as being "outclassed".

Anyway, Ward will probably beat Froch in a close and competitive fight.

Ok well maybe "outclassed" was a bit extreme but Kessler did box much better IMO. Agree Ward on points will be the outcome

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:32 pm

[quote="Michaels, Sean"]
Steffan wrote:

In fairness I think you've run out of material on pro welsh threads. Once you've covered Calzaghe, Church's milkers and that Jenkins bird there's not much else.

I see no problem in covering Church's milkers time and again.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:37 pm

Stay on topic please.

Interesting opinion from Steward but Froch doesn't start as favourite. Ward has better movement and a weapon (his head) stronger than any of Froch's. Ward looks like he has good defence - and could well counterpunch Froch in a dull affair.

If Froch wins - it'll be a great win.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:43 pm

Maybe I should make this a sticky, since it's the THIRD time I've written it.

Steffan promised me to cut back on the Welsh Nationalist stuff and he has kept his word. I, in turn, promised him that I'd stop anybody baiting him with anti - Welsh stuff. I intend to keep my word.

It's goose and gander, fellas, pure and simple.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:47 pm

Think this will be pretty close. As others have said Ward can be pretty tasty with the head in there but get the impression with Froch if he is on the wrong end of these sort of tactics he may well respond in kind and it might be interesting to see what kind of reaction this gets from Ward because whilst he has not exactly been wrapped in cotton wool, with the constant home advantage he has certainly not had to go through what Froch has to get to the final.

Chris does make a valid point about how much Froch ships, get the impression if he does not respect someones power he takes shots he should avoid. Fighting Ward in the states he would be foolish to do this as have to think the judges will not need too much encouragement to score for the American. Would probably slightly favour Ward but Froch has masses of self belief at the minute and whilst he is hardly Robinson skill wise he has shown a bit of variety recently and so should not be written off

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:50 pm

Maybe the ref will clamp down on Wards dubious tactics (unlikely as it will still be in the states.) Would be very interesting to see how Ward performs if he is not allowed to get away with any nonsense (not saying thats all hes got, but its a part of his game.)

Ward UD for me Im afraid.

How do people rate Froch's power? Ive always thought of him as quite heavy handed, but his KO % is pretty low recently. I know hes fighting top fighters so KO is less likely, but still it surprises me. Is it because he doesnt throw enough clean combinations to put people down, or is he not as hard hitting as is led to believe?

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:56 pm

Joey don't think he is a huge puncher in the Naz or Shavers mould but think in his defence you have to look at the company he is keeping. Since winning the title he has had literally no gimmes, every fight has been against well ranked current, former or future champions. Given this is inevitable his ko stats will suffer. Remember reading an interesting thing once about Felix Trinidad, who most accept was a massive puncher but the article compared his career stats with his fights against the true elite and his stats dropped down to something like 33% ko's from the high 70's or 80s.

Think Froch is not a guy of scary power but think he definitely hits hard enough to get anyones respect.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:02 pm

The one problem is that this guy is so laid back he'll let Ward steal rounds and take the decision......

He would've lost to Taylor had he not woken up in the last round...threw away the fight against Kessler!!!

Respect his talent and all that.. but he tends to stink the place out and sometimes he's so sluggish he's like an extra from a zombie film...

Depends which Froch turns up......needs to up his game.

Certainly capable of it.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:18 pm

If the forty-two year old, game but limited Johnson was catching Froch so cleanly with regularity, it doesn't bode well for the Ward bout. Yes, each time Froch was hit with the right hand over the top, he instantly brawled back and gave as good as he got. But (and it's a key but) he won't be able to do that against Ward, by my reckoning. Ward is a master of making a fight awkward and frustrating - when he lands on Froch, he won't allow him to start throwing bombs back the way Johnson did. Instead, he'll be landing one big shot over the top of Froch's lower guard and then tying him up as soon as he can, not giving him the chance to score back with shots of his own. Not pretty to watch, but he's a robust lad, strong at 168 lb, and knows how to out-muscle and slow down the guy opposite him.

Johnson and Ward are polar opposites as boxers. I think Froch has a decent shot against Ward. He's not going to get intimidated by Ward's dirty inside work. IMO it will end up a bit like the Dirrell fight with Ward taking a disputed decision, and Froch achieving the moral victory by forcing the fight and landing the harder shots.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:20 pm

i like the props froch is now finally getting. Manny is a good egg

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:27 pm

I agree with Truss, Froch has a tendency to let opponents steal rounds he should be winning. He did it against Johnson and I felt he couldve beaten Kessler if he'd kept the pressure up but he allowed Kessler the room to nick a few vital rounds which cost him the fight. If he adopts this approach with ward he'll lose the decision and nit because it's against an American in America, but because ward is a reasonable counter puncher and has an awkward style that won't allow froch to flurry and claw points back.

I really like froch yet sometimes when I watch him box I almost feel like doing it through parted fingers. He's so ungainly and unnatural looking, and he often fails to sieze the initiative when a fight is there for the taking. I don't think he can outbox ward the way he did with AA, who is tevhnically limited and ineffective at 168lb. I think froch can win this fight on pure aggression and high workrate, two things which he has in his arsenal and that will take ward out of his comfort zone. Neither have one punch power and both have good chins, it will definitely go to the cards and so froch can't afford to be lazy, if he can take the fight to ward for 12 rounds he wins. If he rests on his laurels and shows soft openings all night he loses.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:36 pm

Froch will knock him out late on imo, Steward's a money grabber imo though so i don't take him too seriously

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:39 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:

Johnson and Ward are polar opposites as boxers. I think Froch has a decent shot against Ward. He's not going to get intimidated by Ward's dirty inside work. IMO it will end up a bit like the Dirrell fight with Ward taking a disputed decision, and Froch achieving the moral victory by forcing the fight and landing the harder shots.

Yes, they are; but it's still completely insane to treat the right hands over the top that Froch continually shipped against Johnson as anything other than a very foreboding sign, given how good Ward is on the counter. Either way, I do agree that this fight (barring a cuts stoppage) is destined to go to the cards.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by UpandUnder Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:43 pm

I would love Froch to win but just feel he is up against it in this one....

Its no secret American television want Ward to win so Froch will have a hard time getting any close rounds. Ward is dubious but very effective at what he does and I dont think his style will gel well with Carl.

I have a feeling that froch will just end up walking through needless shots to try do his own work which Ward will largely nullify and smother leading to a UD for Ward in a frustrating fight to watch.

Although my heart does say Froch

UpandUnder

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:47 pm

i think Froch will make it a fight, Ward hates to fight and hasn't proved he can fight, his boxing ability is unquestionable, but i don't like the way he's negative at times and the way he wouldn't fight his 'friend' Dirrell. And he will be knocked out around the 10th round imo. Froch deserves to win it over Ward as well, he's been to Denmark, Monaco and America to defend and Ward's fought every fight in America, bull that imo.

Last edited by Young_Towzer on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:49 pm

Ward is talented but i agree with Young_Towzer. He hates to fight, he makes no spectacle of any fight and is not entertaining. Froch has travelled and fought exiting fights.Losing and retaining a world title in the process. I just hope he can tag Ward early, i think if he can then it will be a fight.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 4:15 pm

Froch is exciting???......okay.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 4:39 pm

Pascal was a face first brawl, Taylor was dramatic if not exciting, Kessler fight was pretty good. Hard to look good against Dirrell, Abraham didnt do enough to make the fight competitive. Overall his recent fights have been exciting I would say.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 20 Jun 2011, 4:43 pm

Froch is exciting???......okay.
Pascal - epic best fight i've ever seen in a british ring, 12 round war
Kessler - quality fight
Taylor - exciting finish after being outboxed
Dirrell - very hard to look good but got the win
Abraham - beautiful boxing display
Johnson - good hard fight

He's an exciting fighter, everyone in the game knows that.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 4:45 pm

You're easily pleased.......You'll make a chick a good husband.....

Maybe you can cheer Dave669's Mrs up..

I'm sure she needs it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 20 Jun 2011, 4:46 pm

You're easily pleased.......You'll make a chick a good husband.....

Maybe you can cheer Dave669's Mrs up..

I'm sure she needs it..
Off topic again, and it's boring. Lets talk Boxing, not your life in general. Froch's quality

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 4:50 pm

Not sure how you can suggest that Froch isn't exciting, Truss. There aren't many fighters who have given as much value for money over the last three years. Out of his six world title fights, I'd say that four of them have made for superb viewing (I attended the Pascal and Dirrell fights, too, and even though the latter was a stinker the atmosphere at both was still absolute quality). That's not a bad ratio.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 4:52 pm

Everything is more exciting in the flesh.......

Taylor was a stinker until the 12th round...sleep walked for a lot of the Kessler fight...

Maybe we have diferent ideas of entertainment....

Brits are easily pleased ... Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 20 Jun 2011, 4:52 pm

Not sure how you can suggest that Froch isn't exciting, Truss. There aren't many fighters who have given as much value for money over the last three years. Out of his six world title fights, I'd say that four of them have made for superb viewing (I attended the Pascal and Dirrell fights, too, and even though the latter was a stinker the atmosphere at both was still absolute quality). That's not a bad ratio.
Definitely a controversial opinion if ever i've heard one to say he isnt exciting. The Pascal fight was brilliant, 2 young hungry fighters going toe to toe, and again he got the win.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 20 Jun 2011, 4:54 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Bit of a generalisation there Truss. Manny Steward: Froch will beat Ward  484478
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 4:55 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Everything is more exciting in the flesh.......

Taylor was a stinker until the 12th round...sleep walked for a lot of the Kessler fight...

Can't agree that the Taylor fight was a stinker until the twelfth at all. Froch's own performance wasn't great in the opening four rounds, but at the same time we were treated to some lovely counter-punching from the seemingly rejuvinated Taylor. But Froch really muscled his way back in to it from the middle stages onwards - this idea that he'd barely won a round before the twelfth is cobblers. And then, of course, the grand stand finish. A very, very good fight whichever way you look at it.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 5:09 pm

He doesn't float my boat so we'll agree to disagree....For me Taylor, Reid and Kessler were disappointments....If he's in exciting fights it's his opponents that make him have them..

good quality fighter who just doesn't excite..

Never be an honorary member of the blue oyster.......

and that's a fact!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Frotchlinger Mon 20 Jun 2011, 11:39 pm

How anyone can say the Taylor fight was a disappointment is beyond belief.

A first defence on foreign soil, knocked down and with a mountain to climb, he claws his way back in when lesser men might have crumbled. And then a last round ko to stun the home fans, what more do you want. A classic snatch victory from the jaws of defeat performance. They'll repeat that one for many years to come as they will the Pascal fight. Froch boring, I don't think so. Disagree with so much of what Trussman says it's untrue, although I've got nothing against the poster.

As for Steward, nothing against the man, but stopped reading when he compared Froch to Dennis. Used to quite enjoy watching Dennis as it goes, but ffs there's no comparison skill-wise between the two. I don't listen to Steward in all honesty, good on the technical side but talks gibberish.

Herman Frotchlinger

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 21 Jun 2011, 8:58 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Everything is more exciting in the flesh.......

Can't agree that the Taylor fight was a stinker until the twelfth at all. Froch's own performance wasn't great in the opening four rounds, but at the same time we were treated to some lovely counter-punching from the seemingly rejuvinated Taylor. But Froch really muscled his way back in to it from the middle stages onwards - this idea that he'd barely won a round before the twelfth is cobblers. And then, of course, the grand stand finish. A very, very good fight whichever way you look at it.

agreed, think i had taylor up by one or two rounds going into the last round, hardly beng totally out classed like some would say. froch is and always has been a slow starter something he cant afford against ward.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 Jun 2011, 9:57 pm

Said he sleepwalked..never said he'd barely won a round....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down