The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buildup: Scotland vs South Africa

+52
Morgannwg
SGD prop
Redrage
kingjohn7
RogerLewis
Cari
jimbopip
sensisball
GunsGerms
OzT
nganboy
MMaaxx
Majestic83
Tramptastic
alive555
R!skysports
kiakahaaotearoa
IanBru
nickj
GLove39
KickAndChase
Taylorman
funnyExiledScot
Tattie Scones RRN
flyhalffactory
tigertattie
fa0019
thebluesmancometh
ghad
bsando
Scot Abroad
cp10
ChequeredJersey
Notch
Pat_Mustard
Manky-Flanker
EST
Captain_Sensible
RuggerRadge2611
beshocked
George Carlin
21st Century Schizoid Man
RDW
UlstermaninGlasgow
Imperialbigdave
TJ1
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
reallybored
Biltong
Cryptoyourisan
justified sinner
56 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Buildup: Scotland vs South Africa - Page 7 Empty Buildup: Scotland vs South Africa

Post by 123456789 Sun 11 Nov 2012, 7:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

Based on Today.s performance who would you pick to play South Africa.
I'd go for:
15. Hogg
14. Evans
13. Dunbar
12. scott
11. Visser
10. Jackson
9. Blair
8. Denton
7. Rennie (Barclay if he's not fit)
6. Brown
5. Hamilton
4. Gray
3. Murray
2. Ford
1. Grant

Last edited by 123456789 on Sun 11 Nov 2012, 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Buildup: Scotland vs South Africa - Page 7 Empty Re: Buildup: Scotland vs South Africa

Post by RDW Fri 16 Nov 2012, 12:57 pm

Big game for Barclay. Robinson has shown that if you play well in one part of the season (summer tour etc.) you'll probably keep your place for the next (Autumn tests).

If he plays well in the next two games he could take Rennie's place in the 6N, even if both are playing well.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Buildup: Scotland vs South Africa - Page 7 Empty Re: Buildup: Scotland vs South Africa

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 16 Nov 2012, 1:02 pm

Shame for Stroker, but it's the back row I wanted.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 16 Nov 2012, 1:03 pm

SRU WEBSITE
Scotland have made a change in their team for tomorrow’s EMC Test against South Africa at Murrayfield (kick-off 2.30pm).

Flanker Alasdair Strokosch has been ruled out through injury and will be replaced in a recast Scotland back-row by 26-year-old John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors) who will be winning his 40th cap.

Drafted on to the Scotland bench is the uncapped 22-year-old Edinburgh Rugby back-row forward Stuart McInally, who has captained Scotland at every age-grade and represented Scotland 7s and Scotland A.

Scotland have made a change in their team for tomorrow’s EMC Test against South Africa at Murrayfield (kick-off 2.30pm).
Flanker Alasdair Strokosch has been ruled out through injury and will be replaced in a recast Scotland back-row by 26-year-old John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors) who will be winning his 40th cap.

Barclay will don the openside shirt, the position in which he won Man of the Match in the corresponding fixture two years ago, with Kelly Brown reverting to blindside. David Denton remains at No 8.

Drafted on to the Scotland bench is the uncapped 22-year-old Edinburgh Rugby back-row forward Stuart McInally, who has captained Scotland at every age-grade and represented Scotland 7s and Scotland A.

Scotland team doctor James Robson said: “Alasdair suffered a minor calf strain in training this week and while we were hopeful it would settle in time we believe his recovery has not been sufficient to warrant risking a partially fit player.”

Scotland head coach Andy Robinson said: “We wish ‘Stroker’ a speedy recovery. John is an experienced campaigner, while Stuart was with us on the summer tour and is raring to go.”

http://www.scottishrugby.org/content/view/3243/2/
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 16 Nov 2012, 1:52 pm

It's a better balanced backrow as a result, but never nice seeing a player injured. Hopefully he'll get some time off to recover properly. Happy for Brown to wear 6 against South Africa and Tonga, with Barclay at 7.

Good opportunity for Stuart McInally, and a reward for some good performances this season and last. His overall form suffers as a result of consistency, he can disappear in matches on occassion, but he's a good footballer and reads the game well.

Sadly the South Africa team has been well selected. I miss PDV.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 16 Nov 2012, 2:06 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Don't think he's doing it this year but Kelly Brown always has a spectacular mo at Movember.

He's one hell of a hairy guy!

But that usually just above his eyes

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat 17 Nov 2012, 12:51 am

Wales loss to Samoa has made this game all the more important.
Lose and we go down to tenth, win and we're a tier 2 side.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:28 am

Don't like the incident (although the injury sounds as minor as it can be) but I do like its effect. That's the balanced back row that I think most of us wanted to see and McInally fully merits his chance (unlike Murchie, nice guy though he clearly is).

South Africa don't have poor sides, only less awesome ones and whilst tough opponents, on paper we haven't had a better chance of beating them in at least 5 years and won't have had a better expedient for doing so. Once of these important games where you need our marquee players to step up. I have a feeling in my bones that Hogg and Visser will have a big night.

FES - I also miss P Divvy and his appalling selections. mo1
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:31 am

TJ wrote:An England fan George? Whistle
Erm picard
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 17 Nov 2012, 9:27 am

Today's team looks like the best available given the horrendous injury list, so no point getting too worked up about it. But why let that stop us?
I liked Sensiball's comment about Laidlaw's poor defence being a factor in Dan C's performance. As I said earlier Ladlaw is being picked on tour form and not on his MFL shows this season. Also as I said the drift/blltz did neither consistently.We will need to improve or Lambie will run the show. I can see Pienaar kicking lots, the Saffers hitting rucks in our half and looking to force turnovers/penalties. Defence will be the key. However after 60 mins we could have
10 Jackson
12 Scott
13 Hogg
15 Murchie
which could be quite exciting Although to counter this we will also have the other front row from the bench. You really do pray that Grant and the Rev stay on for as long as possible.
If Barclay and Brown get stuck into Pienaar and Lambie on a regular basis and we play the game in their half we win.If their half backs have as much time and space as Carter did we will suffer.
I'm playing this afternoon so will watch it this evening, Mrs P has invited people round for dinner. I'm sure everyone will understand!

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 17 Nov 2012, 10:42 am

Am I right in thinking, with Wales losing last night, if we win we're pretty much guaranteed to be a 2nd seed?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 17 Nov 2012, 12:41 pm

I presume it'll depend on whether Wales beat either New Zealand or Australia laughing

I'm honestly not sure, but beating this SA would be a bigger achievement than our prior win against them, or both our wins against Australia. This is a well selected and balanced SA side. Physical pack, balanced back row and Pienaar, Lambie, De Jongh, Pieterson and Hougaard are very good footballers. This isn't a classic bish-bash-bosh Boks side, there will be some guile to contend with as well.

Very much looking forward to it though. The Scotland side is well picked and as balanced as it could be as well in my view. No grumbles with the team selection.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:03 pm

Afternoon All. coffee

According to the Beeb just now, following last night's Welsh defeat, this game is massive for the Scottish rankings. Should be a corker here.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:09 pm

Visser interview...he's scrummy isn't he? Smile

Oh BBC you w@nkers! furious Sort out your blydi coverage. It's all gone bollix.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:15 pm

BBC sort this Poopie out.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:17 pm

I wish they would. Of all the times to have technical problems, it has to be now. Not when some schitt like Strictly is on.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:19 pm

FOUR TIMES!

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:20 pm

Cari wrote:Visser interview...he's scrummy isn't he? Smile

Oh BBC you w@nkers! furious Sort out your blydi coverage. It's all gone bollix.

Not as good looking as Scott Andrews.

Also Aaron Jarvis looks like Nick Frost.

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:20 pm

Is anyone watching from Ireland? I just wondered if RTÉ had the same issues.

Oh we're back but for how long, and the sound's still cack.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:21 pm

FIVE TIMES!

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:23 pm

Come on Scotland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:25 pm

I just hope the Beeb don't pull the plug again!

Braveheart

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:38 pm

Lambie penalty after seven minutes gives the lead to the visitors.

0-3.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:41 pm

Laidlaw equalizes on the 10th minute.

3-3

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:45 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Am I right in thinking, with Wales losing last night, if we win we're pretty much guaranteed to be a 2nd seed?

It's quite possible. And then you could get Wales as the 3rd seed in your group. England, Scotland, Wales and one other would be a group I would love.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:45 pm

...and three minutes later Lambie gets another penalty.

3-6.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:49 pm

Schitt! Nasty injury for Ritchie Grey. He's out cold and not moving....OK, he's up now thankfully. He must have concussion though surely.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:53 pm

Saffers spoiling well at the breakdown, we try the same and give away pens...in fact all we can do is give away soft pens.

Last edited by Redrage on Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:54 pm

Saffa try.

3-11 conversion missed.

and poor Ritchie Grey is going for a lie down. Big loss for Scotland that. Kellock on.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:58 pm

Uncharacteristic miss from Laidlaw there, sums up our start pretty neatly.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:05 pm

Lambie takes another penalty.

3-14 after half an hour.

Scotland need to pull something out of the bag. They've been nowhere near scoring a try yet.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:06 pm

What a kick that was from Hogg, we'll turnover the lineout though

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:08 pm

Awh that's a shame. Scottish patience got them so close to the try line and then there's a Saffa penalty. Frustrating.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:10 pm

Cari wrote:Awh that's a shame. Scottish patience got them so close to the try line and then there's a Saffa penalty. Frustrating.

They should have varied up the strategy, you can't out armwrestle the saffers... it is bread and butter to them.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:11 pm

Just out of interest, IMO SA are getting away with murder at the breakdown, they are continually holding onto the ball carrier when tackling for way too long, and the 2nd man in is constantly laying over the tackler so is not supporting his body wait!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:17 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Just out of interest, IMO SA are getting away with murder at the breakdown, they are continually holding onto the ball carrier when tackling for way too long, and the 2nd man in is constantly laying over the tackler so is not supporting his body wait!

I was more concerned with the pen that went against Ford, whose work was clean. Yet, like you say the Saffers are very much getting involved in competing for the ball in this area and their approach isn't that subtle.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:19 pm

Not subtle but very effective (if you get away with it)

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by SGD prop Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:22 pm

Why did they not go wide after a few hit ups there were large overlaps. It is very unlikely to march SA 8 meters back without a penalty. Got to admit when I saw it was Clancy I thought we were in for a hard time and I hate people who moan about the ref but the try was exactly the same as the one he disallowed

SGD prop

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:22 pm

Scotland are competing well, something my team aren't able to do.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:23 pm

Ye the SA try Ive seen lots of teams pinged for the disengage issue incorrectly.

Although I agree that the try was good, once youve engaged its a maul, if you then disengage it does nothing and they can still play, I just wish more refs would pick up on it!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:24 pm

Can anyone PM me a good stream for this (that doesn't require you being in the UK to see it)?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SGD prop Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:27 pm

but to me though I don't know the exact letter of the law it was a different phase of play as they broke off from the original maul

SGD prop

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:31 pm

George Carlin wrote:Can anyone PM me a good stream for this (that doesn't require you being in the UK to see it)?

Check your PM.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:32 pm

SGD

If they broke offthe ball carrier wouldve been up front.

The fact that Scot tacklers fell off effects the maul not a jot, it was the same maul and therefore already engaged. Lots of ref wouldve pinged SA there mind!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:35 pm

Just signed in to say that this is absolutely pathetic.

We're not expected to beat South Africa by any stretch of the imagination, but we are expected to make this much more contested.

Problem for AR is we shouldn't have been in this position in the rankings in the first place - beating the 2nd ranked side in the world should not be your 'must win' to get into the top 8. Should have nipped that in the bud last 6N.

Very angry at the mo.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:35 pm

Cari wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Can anyone PM me a good stream for this (that doesn't require you being in the UK to see it)?

Check your PM.
Thanks Cari - none of them work. Cry
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:36 pm

Uh-oh and iffy Scottish pass gives Stauss an intercept try.

3-21 at 45 minutes.

The Scottish scrumhalf who created the intercept pass is immediately replaced too.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:37 pm

George Carlin wrote:
Cari wrote:

Check your PM.

I can't help then I'm afraid. I wasn't using a stream, so I hadn't checked them at all.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:38 pm

Jeezus Pyrgos.

If Scotland win this MOM...

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:39 pm

Henry Pyrgos in with the try!! Good substitution Robinson.

10-21

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 17 Nov 2012, 3:39 pm

Cari wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
Cari wrote:

Check your PM.

I can't help then I'm afraid. I wasn't using a stream, so I hadn't checked them at all.
Not at all - thanks for trying. OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next