The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saints to poach Corbs as Mooj and Tiny Leave

+14
propdavid_london
tigerleghorn
yappysnap
Geordie
bluestonevedder
beshocked
Ozzy3213
formerly known as Sam
HongKongCherry
Bathite
Cumbrian
Bathman_in_London
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
LondonTiger
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Saints to poach Corbs as Mooj and Tiny Leave Empty Saints to poach Corbs as Mooj and Tiny Leave

Post by LondonTiger Tue 27 Nov 2012, 11:53 am

Being reported on the Beeb that Mujati has signed for Racing Metro with Tiny likely to join him. Then states that Saints are looking to sign Corbisiero from LI.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Saints to poach Corbs as Mooj and Tiny Leave Empty Re: Saints to poach Corbs as Mooj and Tiny Leave

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 27 Nov 2012, 11:55 am

LondonTiger wrote:Being reported on the Beeb that Mujati has signed for Racing Metro with Tiny likely to join him. Then states that Saints are looking to sign Corbisiero from LI.

The Times carried that stoiry this morning too. According to them Saints aren't officially allowed to talk to him until January, but it's a "done deal".
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Saints to poach Corbs as Mooj and Tiny Leave Empty Re: Saints to poach Corbs as Mooj and Tiny Leave

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 27 Nov 2012, 12:07 pm

Wow losing those 2 will really affect Saints, not only was it arguably the best front row in the league, but also the 2 props werent really affected by international call ups, whereas as good as Corbs is, he isn't the same as Tiny and he is likely to be with England for half the season.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 27 Nov 2012, 12:52 pm

Bad news for London Irish in the short term, Corbsisiero is a very good player. Longer term I suppose they are looking at the continued improvement of Max Lahiff.

I’ve heard rumours on other sites that Garvey could be on his way to Northampton too, which would be a blow.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Nov 2012, 12:57 pm

There are rumours about Garvey, JJ, and Anthony Watson as well as Corbs, with a number of clubs interested.

Another exodus after last season's would be devastating for the club.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 27 Nov 2012, 1:00 pm

Pretty sure that JJ will be a Bath player next year

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 27 Nov 2012, 1:02 pm

Bathite wrote:Pretty sure that JJ will be a Bath player next year

Interesting, where did you hear that?
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Nov 2012, 1:03 pm

The Rugby Paper printed a rumour a while ago that the aussies were thinking of trying to poach Lahiff.

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 27 Nov 2012, 1:21 pm

Not surprising really as decent props are in short supply and this will probably be both of their last pay days. I also don't think it's a massive loss for Saints. I don't feel they have been a destructive a unit as the days when they got to the HC final. Teams have worked them out and they don't dominate as much. I've never quite understood the big cheer every time Mujati gets the ball as you rarely see him make any ground - I am being overly critical as I do recognise he is a very good player, but I feel Saints could fill the void.

If Tiny and Mooj do leave and they bring in Corbs and retain PDJ I would imagine that would leave a good amount of cash to invest in a decent fly half, perhaps even a youngster from nearby?... Whistle

HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 27 Nov 2012, 2:01 pm

[quote] I would imagine that would leave a good amount of cash to invest in a decent fly half, perhaps even a youngster from nearby?[code]

Don't be silly. Remember that Mallinder severely damaged the career of Ford's brother, George is not going to Saints. I've reliably heard he's mid contract negotiations.

Now I'm surprised Mujarti is off as I'd heard rumours PDJ had decided that Saints wasn't right for him. Could be big changes to the Saints front row this summer.

Anthony Watson will be offered a contract at Tigers if still waiting for a new LI deal come January.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 27 Nov 2012, 2:04 pm

Cumbrian wrote:
Bathite wrote:Pretty sure that JJ will be a Bath player next year

Interesting, where did you hear that?

Kind of common knowledge that the top cheeses have him as their #1 dream signing. Having Booth and Hatley should help.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 27 Nov 2012, 2:09 pm

Not sure that it will happen, but they are pulling out all the stops to try to

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 27 Nov 2012, 2:21 pm

[quote="formerly known as Sam"]
I would imagine that would leave a good amount of cash to invest in a decent fly half, perhaps even a youngster from nearby?[code]

Don't be silly. Remember that Mallinder severely damaged the career of Ford's brother, George is not going to Saints. I've reliably heard he's mid contract negotiations.

Now I'm surprised Mujarti is off as I'd heard rumours PDJ had decided that Saints wasn't right for him. Could be big changes to the Saints front row this summer.

Anthony Watson will be offered a contract at Tigers if still waiting for a new LI deal come January.

I have on good authority that Watson has an offer on the table from us. Whether or not it's enough to keep him I can't say.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 27 Nov 2012, 2:23 pm

The JJ to Bath rumour has been around a while and it's no real suprise that they want him. I know he has a very good relationship with Hatley, as do all the players who came through the academy. Not sure how he got on with Booth though. Would be a real shame to lose him, as he is a quality player.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 27 Nov 2012, 2:28 pm

True bathman in london. That's exactly what I was thinking.

Bath could do with JJ. They lack a bit in the centres.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 27 Nov 2012, 2:29 pm

Corbs would be a great replacement signing for Saints. That would also give another promising young English LH a chance to develop in Lahiff, who's impressed me already this season and last, especially with ball in hand.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 27 Nov 2012, 2:56 pm

I would imagine that would leave a good amount of cash to invest in a decent fly half, perhaps even a youngster from nearby?[code]

That was Grayson, he's been ejected just to get Ford on board! Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 27 Nov 2012, 3:00 pm

Have LI become the Newcastle of the Thames Valley? Developing players and seeing the stolen by bigger, richer, more ambitious (delete as appropriate) clubs

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 27 Nov 2012, 3:03 pm

Whilst the vultures are circling, I'll add I wouldn't mind Garvey coming to Glaws. We need another lock... sorry Oz Wink

But for what its worth I can't see Irish going down, which I would feel would mean most players will stay with the club.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 27 Nov 2012, 3:04 pm

I dont think Tiny is what he was...

I saw him for Tonga v us a few weeks back and he had a torrid evening v our TH prop Hall. A few of us were surprised in the stands.

Corbs is class...and Garvey at Saints could be interesting aswell.

Looks like LI are joining us in the "feeder club" ranks Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 27 Nov 2012, 3:13 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Have LI become the Newcastle of the Thames Valley? Developing players and seeing the stolen by bigger, richer, more ambitious (delete as appropriate) clubs

Beat me to it LT

I think those days of us being that are rapidly going though Very Happy

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Nov 2012, 3:22 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Have LI become the Newcastle of the Thames Valley? Developing players and seeing the stolen by bigger, richer, more ambitious (delete as appropriate) clubs

Beat me to it LT

I think those days of us being that are rapidly going though Very Happy

Didn't Cockerill once say something along the lines of "I liked the product, so I went back for more" about poaching Newcastle players? I've always worried about that happening to Irish.

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 27 Nov 2012, 5:05 pm

Lots of rumours about Garvey to Quins as well.

To be honest unless we lose someone though I can't see it, and it goes against policy.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 27 Nov 2012, 5:07 pm

Policy?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 27 Nov 2012, 5:28 pm

C O'Sheas' policy is to always pick academy players first, then if we can't fill form the academy try to nab someone elses academy youngster to fill for us. If that fails nab someone from the championship and if that doesn't work I assume we'd try to get someone from a SR then a Prem club.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 27 Nov 2012, 5:41 pm

That was Grayson, he's been ejected just to get Ford on board!

I think Mallinder consigning his bro to the A team for two years had more to do with it then Grayson's coaching. Ford may leave but I'd be very surprised if he went to Saints. It would be bad for his career to stagnate like his brother.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Tue 27 Nov 2012, 7:13 pm

" I've reliably heard he's mid contract negotiations."......Nothing's said until it's in writing!, didn't Cockers expect 36's signature too?

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 27 Nov 2012, 7:16 pm

I think a fair few London Irish fans are resigned to losing to Corbs and JJ at the end of this season. Both need to be playing Heineken Cup rugby really, in order to boost their international prospects. The one that I think we are praying we can keep hold of is Garvey, who week in week out is exceptional for us.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 27 Nov 2012, 8:20 pm

JJ is a bit of a luxuary for LI at the minute the cash should be spent elsewhere and now he'll want international level wages. Corbs and Garvey should be made priorities. If there's no tight five power then there's nothing for any classy backs you've got to work with.

Saints are clearly considering this issue at present. Mujarti and Tiny out the door leaves a big while especially when there are rumours about PDJ as well. I know Stankovitch at Tigers and the Leinster backup loosehead (SA chappy) are out of contract at the end of the season. Maybe Murray will fancy a return but I don't know that many really good props available this summer. Corbs will have a fair number of offers on the table.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 27 Nov 2012, 8:24 pm

Sam

I agree, and ideally I would love to keep Corbisiero, but the board and Brian Smith may decide to take the pragmatic approach to things. Given that he is England's first choice loosehead, he will clearly want more money, and we will get less games out of him. That being the case, coupled with Max Lahiff coming along pretty well, they may decide that the money is better spent elsewhere.

I'll be disappointed if he does go, but can understand completely the reasons why he might, as both on and off the pitch we are struggling to compete with other clubs at the moment.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 27 Nov 2012, 8:46 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:I think a fair few London Irish fans are resigned to losing to Corbs and JJ at the end of this season. Both need to be playing Heineken Cup rugby really, in order to boost their international prospects. The one that I think we are praying we can keep hold of is Garvey, who week in week out is exceptional for us.

Ozzy

What is it that the International selectors just arent seeing?? Id have him in the Senior EPS like a shot...i just cant work it out....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 27 Nov 2012, 8:52 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
Ozzy3213 wrote:I think a fair few London Irish fans are resigned to losing to Corbs and JJ at the end of this season. Both need to be playing Heineken Cup rugby really, in order to boost their international prospects. The one that I think we are praying we can keep hold of is Garvey, who week in week out is exceptional for us.

Ozzy

What is it that the International selectors just arent seeing?? Id have him in the Senior EPS like a shot...i just cant work it out....

I've no idea GF, it's a mystery to me as well. He carries well, tackles like a tank and smashes into rucks. His lineout work isn't brilliant, but he's a decent enough front jumper. There are a growing number of Exiles fans who seem to think that his long term position will be at blindside, but for me he is the type of 4 that England have seemed to be missing recently.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 27 Nov 2012, 9:00 pm

The fact that Garvey has only 40 mins for the Saxons is a mystery. He must have had a dressing room fight with a coach close to Lancaster there's no other logical reason, he was really good in those 40 minutes.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Nov 2012, 9:14 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:The fact that Garvey has only 40 mins for the Saxons is a mystery. He must have had a dressing room fight with a coach close to Lancaster there's no other logical reason, he was really good in those 40 minutes.

From what I've read elsewhere, England have told Garvey that he doesn't offer enough of an option at the lineout.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 27 Nov 2012, 9:28 pm

But if you had Launchbury...Lawes etc next to him who are very capable...then say Wood or Croft at 6 it doesnt matter so much about his lineout....its everything else he brings...

Seems strange anyway...and yeah Sam we've discussed that Saxons game many times now...havent we.....something happened in that half time period....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 27 Nov 2012, 10:37 pm

That's like saying locks are only there for the lineout! It's a baffling and a little worrying if that is the case, if the coaches are so rigid with their ideas that obvious stand out players won't be chosen on a pretty low importance issue then that is a problem.

As GF say's we theoretically have Lawes/Launchberry/Palmer/Parling to partner him and then Croft, Robshaw, Wood and Morgan in the backrow.

That's at least three seriously good lineout options if not four. And Garvey I assume would be very good at a one man lift scenario

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed 28 Nov 2012, 2:43 pm

I saw a headline that said that PDJ was getting offers and is interested in a move away from Saints - Quins being one interested party.
Thats not a move I would be too happy about.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 28 Nov 2012, 2:46 pm

So far the move has not worked for PDJ - but with Mooj leaving he may decide he should stay.

Why would you not want him at Quins? Ability, character or against recruiting "established" players?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed 28 Nov 2012, 3:27 pm

I dont think that he is a great scrummager - we have a good number of mobile props that are average scrummagers. We need another lump of a specialist TH to cover for JJ at Quins.
And, there are some very decent academy chaps coming through the ranks.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 28 Nov 2012, 3:34 pm

Yea unless we're going for someone a lot older and experienced then I don't think we need a prop. Maybe an older hooker though.

And PDJ's has looked a bit average at Saints too.

Really it's lock we're a bit short at.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 28 Nov 2012, 3:47 pm

yappy & propdavid, is PDJ being seen as cover for JJ or as a replacement?

The move for PDJ hasn't worked out for him and I do feel he has gone backwards slightly. When he was getting a regular run of games for Glaws he really started to look decent and made the loss of Yoda negligible. However, I haven't seen him hit those heights since and is no doubt due to the fact he has been unable to shift Mooj. If JJ does stay he would be mad to go to Quins as he won't shift him, instead he'd be far better to stay at Saints and get regular game time.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 28 Nov 2012, 5:02 pm

Will JJ stay though?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 28 Nov 2012, 9:03 pm

I heard Wasps were after PDJ as well. He could do well there, they are coming back to strength and could become a big player for them.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 28 Nov 2012, 9:18 pm

Depends, the club and fans love him and he's a big name and first choicer here.

But he could probably get a lot more going to Toulouse or some other French club. I can't imagine that we have a lot left in the budget for negotiations with him.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 29 Nov 2012, 8:08 am

But he could probably get a lot more going to Toulouse or some other French club. I can't imagine that we have a lot left in the budget for negotiations with him.

Depends how much Quins are spending on Evans new contract. I suspect Wasps have a lot of budget if they can raise the finance. Can't see him being on a massive salary and a move to France would end his international prospects.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 29 Nov 2012, 9:36 am

I'm guessing that Evans is on the Marqee contract - and outside the salary cap. That could free up a bit more wedge to keep JJ, if he wants to stay.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 29 Nov 2012, 1:39 pm

The marquee contract is limited to 300k. That should be enough to finance Evans or JJ long term.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 29 Nov 2012, 2:45 pm

I think JJ will probably stay, as mentioned he is very well looked after by the club and the fans love him. He'd be silly to leave at the moment.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:53 am

I think Garvey will stay, but Corbs and JJ will leave.

To be honest, if Ansbro comes back its not like we dont have a good 13. Not that fussed about Corbs leaving, seems to of played a handful of games for Irish in the last 2 years. Lahiff is developing nicely as well.

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 30 Nov 2012, 11:15 am

I'm getting confused with all these JJ's.
Lets call the Quins one - Big JJ
and the LI one - Little JJ

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next