The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mark Sanchez named Jets starter for this week...

+4
sodhat
twelve283
dancingweeman
Good Golly I'm Olly
8 posters

Go down

Mark Sanchez named Jets starter for this week... Empty Mark Sanchez named Jets starter for this week...

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 05 Dec 2012, 2:09 pm

Oh dear Rex picard
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Mark Sanchez named Jets starter for this week... Empty Re: Mark Sanchez named Jets starter for this week...

Post by dancingweeman Wed 05 Dec 2012, 2:14 pm

Can't see any benefit doing this. Surely they should just be drawing a line under this season and moving on?

They may win a few games, but with the playoffs out of reach, all that's going to do is cost them a higher draft pick.

I'd throw either of the other QBs in and see what they can do. They can't be any worse.

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Mark Sanchez named Jets starter for this week... Empty Re: Mark Sanchez named Jets starter for this week...

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 05 Dec 2012, 2:16 pm

Might as well give McElroy a couple of games imo.

He did do well with Bama in College and showed a little bit of ability on Sunday. Neither Tebow or Sanchez are the answer for the Jets long term, so give McElroy a shot to see if he can be. If not you cut all three imo and maybe draft a veteran free agent and one from the draft.

Sanchez should be no more than a backup in this league going forward
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Wed 05 Dec 2012, 2:56 pm

I don't know if it's that much of a shock TBH. Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum would appear to be fighting for their jobs and they're sticking with the guy they drafted #5 and paid.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 05 Dec 2012, 2:59 pm

Kind of makes sense to me. Give him one more shot after he got a rocket up the backside last week. If he doesn't improve then he's been given the rope to hang himself.

Maybe we'll see the Jets pick up someone like Smith in the offseason?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 05 Dec 2012, 3:49 pm

Rex Ryan is tied to Sanchez. Its too late to back out now.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 05 Dec 2012, 5:00 pm

I agree with GSC on this one, I think that no matter how good McElroy or Tebow looked if given the starting spot it wouldn't save Rex, pretty much his only hope is that Sanchez turns it around after getting benched.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Wed 05 Dec 2012, 5:07 pm

sodhat wrote:

Maybe we'll see the Jets pick up someone like Smith in the offseason?
Alex Smith would be a good target for them IMO (depending on price). Much friendlier contract than Sanchez.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 05 Dec 2012, 5:18 pm

Mark Sanchez is fully guaranteed to the tune of 8.25m next season as per the renegotiation. Hard to cut him.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 05 Dec 2012, 5:21 pm

And I don't really blame Ryan, hes been given little talent to work with and management seems to prefer selling PSLs and generating newspaper headlines than winning (hence why Tebow was traded for and the football guys refuse to play him).

Hes having to dress up a circus as a NFL franchise
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 05 Dec 2012, 5:31 pm

GSC wrote:Mark Sanchez is fully guaranteed to the tune of 8.25m next season as per the renegotiation. Hard to cut him.
That does him pretty tough to cut as then if they added Smith they'd be spending $16.75 million on QBs which is a pretty big salary cap hit.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 05 Dec 2012, 5:34 pm

Think Smith may have to come down on his price tag, he had more value to the 49ers than any other team.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 05 Dec 2012, 5:36 pm

Would require negotiations after the trade though as it's guaranteed from training camp I think.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 05 Dec 2012, 5:37 pm

I'd imagine he's likely to be cut before his roster bonus is due. 8m for a backup, on a team that had to get 3 players to restructure to give Bowman a new deal?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 05 Dec 2012, 5:42 pm

In a way it's useful to keep him there for San Francisco as obviously always the chance of injuries for a QB and increased a little by the fact he likes to run and it's good to have a good back up, but the $8.5m would be too much for a back up and we would get these "Harbaugh considering Smith" storylines every single time they lost. Not sure he would fancy the Jets, pretty much no weapons in the team and if they still have Tebow around even more quarterback controversy for him. Am I the only one who thinks Buffalo may not be a bad fit for Smith?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 05 Dec 2012, 5:44 pm

I think Buffalo needs to draft its own QB.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 05 Dec 2012, 5:46 pm

GSC wrote:I think Buffalo needs to draft its own QB.
I know, but you also say there's no QB you want Philadelphia to draft. Seen some people say E.J. Manuel is a guy who if given time could become a franchise QB so could give him time behind Smith and then start him when he's ready. Though it has just come to me that I think they recently extended Fitzpatrick so may not be an option to add Smith.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 05 Dec 2012, 5:51 pm

But in terms of teams that would potentially look at Smith, Buffalo would look, but hes not really a Chan Gailey type of QB.

Can't imagine the Jets can afford him + who wants into that circus.
Arizonas a possibility, plus Smith gets 2 shots at SF. Though they may stick with Kolb.
He'd prob have the run game in Philly, but no D to carry him and not a good enough arm to hit the deep balls.
Could see SD if Rivers does get traded (unlikely)
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 05 Dec 2012, 5:52 pm

The thing is for me, if I'm just looking for a placeholder, which is what Smith essentially is at this point, then I'd rather pay a Matt Moore or Garrard next to nothing to hand off than overpay Smith to do a slightly better job.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Wed 05 Dec 2012, 6:00 pm

GSC wrote:Mark Sanchez is fully guaranteed to the tune of 8.25m next season as per the renegotiation. Hard to cut him.
I think the actual cap hit is worse than that but what options do the Jets have? I don't know how much trouble the Jets are in cap wise but I think you have to take the hit and cut ties. I don't think there is any way around it. Contract is **** and Tannenbaum is ******.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 05 Dec 2012, 6:02 pm

I believe hes free to cut after next season or just take the hit for a year while he holds the clipboard
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Wed 05 Dec 2012, 6:08 pm

GSC wrote:I believe hes free to cut after next season or just take the hit for a year while he holds the clipboard
I don't think it matters if you cut him 2013 or 2014 the cap hit for each year works out the same. Just a question of cut ties now or in a year.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 05 Dec 2012, 6:13 pm

Not like there will be any market to trade Sanchez to, unless he is willing to accept being at best #2 and renegotiate his contract, so not really sure what I would do with him.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Wed 05 Dec 2012, 6:38 pm

It is not surprising really. There was only a real choice between Sanchez and McElroy.

Tebow may deserve a chance but there is no way the New York Jets coaching staff were going to risk #tebowtime.

They just couldn't risk Tebow doing well. Imagine the backlash had Tebow started at QB and won.

Hopefully we'll all be seeing Tebow at Wembley next year with the Jaguars against the 49ers.

mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Thu 06 Dec 2012, 12:06 am

I think its the coaching changes that will make most impact on who goes where.

Smith will likely go somewhere that runs the WCO and colour me daft, but that could be Philly with or without Reid going. Vick mkII is done wiht all his injuries and Foles is not their answer. Possibly Steelers as a back up to Big Ben? Cardinals may also be interested as long as Fitz stays there.

Sanchez likely stays in NY but look for them to draft another QB (they can't keep him and an expensive FA). One more year and then done unless a miracle happens.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 06 Dec 2012, 12:22 am

The only reason he'll be in New York next year is because they have to pay him $8.25million no matter what even if he gets picked up by someone else who pays him it. Gives him one more year to prove either that he's worth being kept around or that 'he can do a job' for one of the teams who just need a quarterback to hand it off and complete the odd pass. Tough seeing people want to go to Arizona unless they fix that O-line, but I can see why it would be tempting a good set of running backs and Fitzgerald, Floyd and Roberts as your key targets.

But good point Skins can see there being quite a few coaching changes this season, probably also in Cleveland.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Thu 06 Dec 2012, 11:53 am

skins4ever wrote:Sanchez likely stays in NY but look for them to draft another QB (they can't keep him and an expensive FA). One more year and then done unless a miracle happens.

Derbyblue wrote:The only reason he'll be in New York next year is because they have to pay him $8.25million no matter what even if he gets picked up by someone else who pays him it. Gives him one more year to prove either that he's worth being kept around or that 'he can do a job' for one of the teams who just need a quarterback to hand it off and complete the odd pass.
If the Jets have a new GM and HC I doubt they waste their 1st season on a QB who has proven he cant get it done as a starter. Even if Tannenbaum and Ryan get a stay of exectution I dont see how they can tie a potential make it or break it season to Sanchez. The contract is what it is, Sanchez gets paid whatever happens, but the bottom line is the Jets need to move on and find a new starting QB.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 06 Dec 2012, 3:12 pm

No way Rex Ryan gets fired from the Jets.

Tannenbaum needs to go however
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Thu 06 Dec 2012, 4:58 pm

Grant Holt V2 wrote:No way Rex Ryan gets fired from the Jets.

Tannenbaum needs to go however
New GM could very well want a new HC.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 06 Dec 2012, 5:03 pm

Yeah, same reason Rivera and Shurmur look very much in danger. Plus the various locker room issues have a lot to do with Rex.

Theres no trade market for Sanchez, his salary and the fact hes awful make him untradable.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 06 Dec 2012, 5:22 pm

I dont think Rex is doing that bad a job considering the lack of talent and Revis being out for the year. With there run in they can get to. 500 and even 9-7

Personally I wouldnt sack him, I mean he went to 2 AFC Championship games with Mark Sanchez as his QB...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Thu 06 Dec 2012, 5:27 pm

GSC wrote:

Theres no trade market for Sanchez, his salary and the fact hes awful make him untradable.
If you go to the forums there are Jets fans with the hilarious idea that the Chiefs would trade a 6th round pick for Sanchez.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 06 Dec 2012, 6:55 pm

GSC wrote:Yeah, same reason Rivera and Shurmur look very much in danger. Plus the various locker room issues have a lot to do with Rex.

Some of us would quite like to keep Heckert thank you very much.

twelve283 wrote:
GSC wrote:

If you go to the forums there are Jets fans with the hilarious idea that the Chiefs would trade a 6th round pick for Sanchez.
There's a guy on twitter who I can't tell if he's a massive troll, or genuinely believes Sanchez is elite and will prove it to everyone if he moves away from the Jets.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down