The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tag Team Wrestling

+5
Aaronb33
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Sarsippius
Liam_Main
AberdeenSteve
9 posters

Go down

Tag Team Wrestling Empty Tag Team Wrestling

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 24 Apr 2011, 11:15 pm

Why has Vince had the Tag Team division take such a back seat in the WWE?

I ask this question after thinking today that so many of the WWE's big names have come from Tag Team wrestling. Examples being Edge, Christian, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, JBL, and Jeff Hardy. All the previously mentioned have become World Champions. I just feel that the Tag Team division is an opportunity for some of the unknown guys to be pushed into the limelight a little bit with a feud that would have the interest of the WWE fans.

Added to this is the massive list of people who could become great tag teams and feud over the titles with the likes of DiBiase, McIntyre, Bryan, Kingston, Gabriel, Masters and the huge list of people on Superstars who pretty much all have experience in the Tag Team division; Reks, Rollins, JTG, Primo, Hawkins and Ryder.

So what are your thoughts on this, do you think that Vince just doesn't see this as an important area anymore? Would you be happy to see some prestige returned to this once fantastic division?

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Tag Team Wrestling Empty Re: Tag Team Wrestling

Post by Liam_Main Sun 24 Apr 2011, 11:28 pm

Vince seems to just put Wrestlers who arn't doing much with a tag team partner and put them in the division.Take Kane and Big Show for example both had no major feuds and didn't seem to be going anywhere so were put in the tag team division.There are barely even any tag teams anymore after Cryme Tyme and the Hart Dynasty split And where have the Usos gone? Expect Kane and the Big Show to have a long reign.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarsippius Sun 24 Apr 2011, 11:39 pm

I don't know much about FCW but I thought a lot of guys are in tag teams there. Many of these are now on the main roster so I imagine there must be tag teams around but Vince seems to refuse to use them that way

Anyone know anymore about this or am I making it up?

Sarsippius

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 24 Apr 2011, 11:49 pm

Vince doesn't care about Tag Teams anymore. Tag Team wrestling has been falling away in the WWE for years. TNA seemed to be getting it right but have put Beer Money in the Immortal feudand look like they are breaking up Generation Me and the Motor City Machine Guns. Bad news tag team wrestling is excellent but their aren't enough top tag teams around.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaronb33 Mon 25 Apr 2011, 2:27 am

I was wondering this the other day after watching a few matches involving the Hardys, 3D, E&C, the APA, the FBI, the Un-Americans, Jericho & Christian, Eddy and Chavo and DX. It amazes me that a relatively short time ago that winning the tag gold was right up there with the big one...IMO, now there's way too much emphasis on singles wrestling, and I think Vince is silly to let the tag division carry on down its slippery slope.

BTW, SPOILERS FOR IMPACT!, Shelley makes the save for Sabin either this week or next so it doesn't look like MCMG are splitting up...which is reheheheally good news...best tag team in the world IMO (JUST in front of Beer Money).

Aaronb33

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 25 Apr 2011, 9:12 am

The thing is PB that there are a number of fantastic tag teams going about just now. Look at TNA, they have the MCMG, Beer Money, British Invasion and Gen Me. An independent Fed called ROH has the Worlds Greatest Tag Teams (benjamin and haas) and The Briscoe Brothers. Add these guys to some of the WWE tags that would have some chemistry and they'd have a great tag division.

I agree with what Liam said and it is likely that Kane and Big Show will have a stupidly long reign Sad

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Mon 25 Apr 2011, 1:20 pm

WWE haven't taken the tag titles seriously for a long time now, which is a shame because it's been proven in the past that it's a great way for guys to cut their teeth before going solo. What I don't get is when they split teams up for no apparent reason, when it's quite obvious that both guys are far more comfortable teaming together - see the Hart Dynasty, and most likely Justin Gabriel and Julianne Moore if they split up.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 25 Apr 2011, 2:33 pm

Aaronb33 wrote:I was wondering this the other day after watching a few matches involving the Hardys, 3D, E&C, the APA, the FBI, the Un-Americans, Jericho & Christian, Eddy and Chavo and DX. It amazes me that a relatively short time ago that winning the tag gold was right up there with the big one...IMO, now there's way too much emphasis on singles wrestling, and I think Vince is silly to let the tag division carry on down its slippery slope.

BTW, SPOILERS FOR IMPACT!, Shelley makes the save for Sabin either this week or next so it doesn't look like MCMG are splitting up...which is reheheheally good news...best tag team in the world IMO (JUST in front of Beer Money).

I never knew about the save when I posted but it looked like they were going their seperate ways. Great news hope to see them going at it with Beer Money again another best of 5 the winner with the winner picking the next stipulation.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 25 Apr 2011, 2:36 pm

AberdeenSteve wrote:The thing is PB that there are a number of fantastic tag teams going about just now. Look at TNA, they have the MCMG, Beer Money, British Invasion and Gen Me. An independent Fed called ROH has the Worlds Greatest Tag Teams (benjamin and haas) and The Briscoe Brothers. Add these guys to some of the WWE tags that would have some chemistry and they'd have a great tag division.

I agree with what Liam said and it is likely that Kane and Big Show will have a stupidly long reign Sad

Their are some great tag teams around but the WWE don't seem to care about it anymore. Hope TNA don't go down that route breaking up Gen Me is a bad move hope it doesn't happen.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 25 Apr 2011, 3:32 pm

I agree that tag teams are not treated with the same respect as they once were but the WWE have never placed tag teams above single competitions. The indies are the best places to see excellent tag team matches and feuds. I mean in ROH last year the Kings of Wrestling matches were some of the biggest draws on the cards and the fact that they have kept the titles for so long again proves how ROH build their champions be it singles or tag very well indeed.

I would like to see a stronger tag team division because there are great opportunities to steal the show but with so much creative restrictions in the WWE tag team matches will never be as exciting or entertaining as they could be. Many singles matches and even gimmick matches lack something nowadays in the WWE. Take Mania for example - some very good matches but not enough of them over the entire card and the main event for the WWE title was a let down.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 22 Jun 2011, 9:26 pm

The reasoning was because it's cheaper to pay 2 wrestlers than 4!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed 22 Jun 2011, 9:53 pm

Must admit, it seems that Tag Team wrestling may be getting a slight mini push at the moment. The Uso's have been getting a lot more air time, Gabriel and Slater are now a tag team and from what I can determine they are booking Jinder Mahal and Khali as a tag team so there might be a little hope.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 22 Jun 2011, 10:46 pm

AberdeenSteve wrote:Must admit, it seems that Tag Team wrestling may be getting a slight mini push at the moment. The Uso's have been getting a lot more air time, Gabriel and Slater are now a tag team and from what I can determine they are booking Jinder Mahal and Khali as a tag team so there might be a little hope.

They always build our hopes up every year or so for the tag team to get pushed again but it never really comes through, they'll probably split the Usos up, release Jinder Mahal and have the tag titles given to the champion and the challenger...I liked that angle, the first time they did it, but they've done at least four times now fairly recently and it's just got predictable.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down