The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued

+86
goldwolf
poc.sco
seanmichaels
Hulking_up
STC
Pr4wn
rIck_dAgless
CaledonianCraig
kingraf
bhb001
Duty281
JDizzle
jimmyinthewell68
SirJohnnyEnglish
Hero
The Saint
Hoggy_Bear
Trebs
XR
Breadvan
robbo277
RinoGattuso
MIG
ShahenshahG
Sir. badgerhands
Enforcer
nadeem2099
Derbyblue
TRUSSMAN66
Shot 21 LCFC
Silver
bsando
azania
MtotheC
tomfinneywalksonwater
Mind the windows Tino.
McLaren
hornbloweroafc
Rowley
Cari
Steffan
TM Moot
two_tone
Thunder87
TheMackemMawler
bluestonevedder
Lumbering_Jack
LivinginItaly
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Y I Man
The Best in the World
Crimey
ChequeredJersey
Colan (niner)
Mr Bounce
Cyril
Mike Selig
Scott is Back
SharkSoul
Thomond
guildfordbat
djlovesyou
dummy_half
Blade
Knowsit17
Bull
westisbest
teassoc
Dr Gregory House MD
Il Gialloblu
Ent
kingjohn7
hampo17
Liam
Galted
Adam D
Morgannwg
superflyweight
compelling and rich
Nakatomi Plaza
Skydriver
Stella
Smirnoffpriest
mystiroakey
Mad for Chelsea
Kenny
90 posters

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued  - Page 15 Empty The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued

Post by Kenny Sun 09 Dec 2012, 1:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

I took the kids to the cinema yesterday to watch Rise of the Guardians , it's good but not great .......but the kids loved it so if your stuck for something to do then it's a good way to keep them entertained for a hour and half or so .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued  - Page 15 Empty Re: The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued

Post by mystiroakey Wed 24 Jul 2013, 10:42 pm

I havent seen it since the cinema. I must have been young back then. I remember it making an impact!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued  - Page 15 Empty Re: The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued

Post by Mike Selig Fri 26 Jul 2013, 3:09 pm

Finally got around to seeing Man of Steel.

Uneven is I think the best way to describe it. It's good, sometimes very good, but there are some (minor and major) flaws which leave it IMO short of being great.

Very modern. It's fairly ambitious in that it tries to be serious about a man who can fly, which is no easy thing, and just about pulls it off. It is also a big big movie in scale, with massive scenes of destruction.

SPOILERS

I liked:
- the opening scene on Krypton and in general thought Russel Crowe was very good;
- the whole "do we trust him" narrative which made sense;
- when Superman kills Zod and you can feel his pain;
- the scale: you get the sense of real damage and destruction rather than just a few overturned cars;
- I chuckled as Clark Kent walked in as a reporter;
- the score.

what lets it down:
- plot-holes/inconsistencies: it's fine to be serious, but then you have to iron things out; why does it take Superman his whole childhood to become quite so strong (via the Sun) but then Zod does it in about 2 minutes? What was the whole thing with the helmet? plus others... in general I am not nitpicky, but the film went out of its way to explain why Superman was strong and why him and Zod were at times relatively strong/weak, but failed to address this kind of thing;
- CGI: at times poor;
- the non-stop action in the 2nd half: too much of a good thing and all that; it was just boom after boom;
- the ending felt drawn out as a result;
- the kiss was cringeworthy.

Overall good, and will see it again, but not quite as good as it could have been.
7/10 (ish)

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 29 Jul 2013, 10:19 pm

Earlier today I went to the cinema to watch The World's End starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.

The final part in the Cornetto Trilogy it is full of laughs with dry humour laced with the welcome use of non-pc humour. If you enjoyed Hot Fuzz and Shaun Of The Dead then I am sure you will enjoy this.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 30 Jul 2013, 7:48 pm

Watched The Wolverine last night. I wasn't 100% certain what to expect other than a big budget comic book movie and that's exactly what it is. Lots of fantastic effects (the fight above the Bullet Train is especially fun), a wounded Wolverine, new villains and a supporting cast that's, well, a bit bland really.

Great fight scenes as usual, coupled with some dream sequencing (Famke Janssen is back, which is never a bad thing) but it is let down a bit by being utterly predictable towards the end.

That said, it is great fun, so scores a solid 7 for me.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 30 Jul 2013, 7:50 pm

Dead Mans Shoes

Had to watch it thanks to the reviews on here. Wasn't disappointed. Consadine was excellent as was Stretch, and of course the lad that played Anthony. They should make bullies watch this film. May make them think twice.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 30 Jul 2013, 7:58 pm

Its good isnt it Stella..
Good revenge flick. Parts are pretty disturbing though

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 30 Jul 2013, 8:03 pm

Yeah, seemed real. No bazooka's, big muscles or karate.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 31 Jul 2013, 12:05 pm

Scott pilgrim v world- excellent. Now one of my fave films
Olympus has fallen- Meh, bit cheesy but ok. A bit ' America...feck yeh!'
Star Trek into darkness - good romp.
Watching jack and the giant slayer tonight...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 06 Aug 2013, 6:45 am

Watched the place beyond the pines with (amongst others) Ryan Gosling on the flight back from Seoul.

hmmm... It's ambitious, there are really several stories here one after the other. The first part is terrific, albeit slowly paced; the ending feels somewhat rushed (which bothers me) and a bit contrived (less so, it is after all a movie) and unlike at the start I don't feel like I care so much about the main two characters in the final part.

The acting is never short of excellent - Gosling is much better in this than in Drive, and Dan Deehan is really good as his son, but should have been given more material - and the cinematography at times wonderful.

It feels like there is a very very good film in there somewhere, but in the end it is a bit too disjointed and uneven.

7 or 7.5 out of 10.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:12 am

Breadvan wrote:Scott pilgrim v world- excellent. Now one of my fave films
Olympus has fallen- Meh, bit cheesy but ok. A bit ' America...feck yeh!'
Star Trek into darkness - good romp.
Watching jack and the giant slayer tonight...

Doesn't exactly do wonders for the American Secret Service though does it?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:14 am

The wife made me watch Lady Jane last night - some 80s story about Jane Grey. While I hate all that stuff, Cary Elwes was astonishingly good. What an actor he is/was!

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:18 am

Despicable Me. Cute and occasionally funny but vastly overrated. The minions that seem to be so popular are as annoying and devoid of charm as Ewoks though at least they are justified. A decent film but not in the League of 90% of Pixar 's work or Dreamworks
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Tue 06 Aug 2013, 11:52 am

a good day to die hard - a pleasant enough way of spending an hour and a half but now to write home about

(or to write on a forum about, so i may be missing the irony here...Doh )

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Wed 07 Aug 2013, 9:22 pm

Only God Forgives, 0/10. Probably a bit harsh, im just annoyed I spent the money at the cinema to see it. The cinematography was pretty good and soundtrack was okish. 2.5/10

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 08 Aug 2013, 9:03 am

I went to watch The Conjuring last night.

It was pretty standard haunted house/demonic possession fare but I have to say, it was far better than some of the other sh!te that has been released from the same genre over the last few years. It was unfathomably better than Insidious, The Last Exorcism or The Exorcism of Emily Rose etc etc.

It had the usual moments of suspense and jumpy scenes, even though you generally knew what was going to happen. There were one or two moments that were genuinely shock inducing, particularly the bit
Spoiler:
and it was handled pretty adeptly by the director.

Badly let down by the ending though which made me want to vomit all over the head of the person in front. It is supposedly based on 'factual' events and has some text at the start to this effect but doesn't bookend the film with similar text about the story, just some wafty quote about God and the Devil from one of the people it is based on. Nonsense.

Competently acted and directed (ending aside), better than much of the horror that has been released lately but still pretty standard stuff. Glad I went though, even if the cheese sauce on my nachos tasted like melted lego and gave me indigestion. Lesson of that, don't eat nachos at 22:30 at night.

7.5 out of 10.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:28 pm

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa.

Absolutely hilarious, one of the funniest films I've seen in ages.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 08 Aug 2013, 3:21 pm

SOUNDS GOOD PRAWN..

That film was supposed to be commissioned about 8 years ago!!! some people have been waiting that long

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 08 Aug 2013, 3:26 pm

kingjohn7 wrote:Only God Forgives, 0/10. Probably a bit harsh, im just annoyed I spent the money at the cinema to see it. The cinematography was pretty good and soundtrack was okish. 2.5/10
Its a strange film...

Trying to be way to stylish and art house yet with not enough substance..

They have advertised this on TV and the fact it has Ryan Gosling starring I predict there will be many that feel the same as you..

6/10 for me. I did enjoy it , but yeah seriously lacking on many levels..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 08 Aug 2013, 10:40 pm

Red 2. The aged ex-CIA & MI6 agents are at it again going all over the world saving it from rogue agents. Silly plot but still really good fun. Helen Mirren, John Malkovich, Anthony Hopkins, Bruce Willis, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Brian Cox, Mary-Louise Parker and David Thewlis are all clearly having a good laugh - I found it slick, well-paced and although not quite as good as the first, well worth a watch. 7/10

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Fri 09 Aug 2013, 9:43 am

just watched the thing . its a prequal from carpenters classic in the 80s . i enjoyed it . obviously better effects but doesn't have the tension as the original but Im easily pleased and thought it was good .

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Fri 09 Aug 2013, 4:59 pm

Anyone seen The Conjuring yet?

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Fri 09 Aug 2013, 5:05 pm

Yeah two_tone saw it last weekend. Thought it was good. All the usual scare scenes you'd expect from a haunting/possession movie but very well done. Think the girl in the row in front of me added to it though. Screamed at everything!

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Fri 09 Aug 2013, 5:24 pm

Nice, off to see it tonight. Hoping it is a lot more rewarding than Only God Forgives, usually a fan of Gosling but this one went straight over my head, that's if there was anything to get from it in the first place.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:57 pm

two_tone wrote:Nice, off to see it tonight.  Hoping it is a lot more rewarding than Only God Forgives, usually a fan of Gosling but this one went straight over my head, that's if there was anything to get from it in the first place.
I reviewed it about 5 posts up, mate.

Steer clear of the cheese sauce on nachos. Awful stuff. Although you're probably already at the cinema so I hope I'm not too late.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Aug 2013, 11:14 pm

Alpha Papa

probably the funniest movie ive seen. It certainly is the funniest for a long time at least

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Sat 10 Aug 2013, 4:13 pm

That's good to hear, gazzyD, as the trailers I've seen didn't look amazing. Looking forward to seeing the film though.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 10 Aug 2013, 6:18 pm

The karate kid (original).

The best around, even after all this time.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 10 Aug 2013, 11:24 pm

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa. Amazing. The trailer doesn't do it justice Il. The best lines don't get anywhere near the trailer!

Spoiler:

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 11 Aug 2013, 1:31 pm

Watched Frankenweinie last night - amazing.

Tim Burton films are always top notch.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 11 Aug 2013, 1:35 pm

I don't know, I think he can be a bit hit and miss.

Really like Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare before Christmas and the Corpse's Bride but not so struck on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Alice in Wonderland.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 11 Aug 2013, 11:53 pm

The heat.

Where to start, the first half is absolutely awful with the fat female comedy actor failing to deliver any funny lines, horrible timing etc- pure silence in the theatre during entire scenes that were meant to be funny.

Picks up a bit in the last 1/4 joke wise but the plot and pacing are all over the place.

Saved from being the worst film I've ever seen by the 2nd half but I wouldn't waste my money on it.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 12 Aug 2013, 9:10 am

I watched The Silence of the Lambs again over the weekend.

It reminded me just how great that film is. It is so good, almost perfect in fact, and never seems to age. Every time I watch it I find something new to admire about it. Hopkin's performance as Lector is just superb andeven after all the re-watches, I will notice something new and brilliant that he brings to the role. There is not a single thing I would change about that film.

10/10.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 12 Aug 2013, 9:34 am

I watched Trance. By no means Danny Boyle's finest hour but enjoyable enough. Also has Vincent Cassell and Rosario Dawson in which I always consider a positive. Worth watching but don't go out of your way to watch it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Aug 2013, 9:54 am

JACK REACHER - Tom Cruise deserves to be beaten to within an inch of his life for this. Yes I know Reacher is 6'5 and 250lbs and Cruise in the lead role is laughable in the extreme but even if I'd never read the novels, I'd be of the opinion that this film is crud. Kinda wanted it to be good as I've been a fan of the Reacher novels since "Killing Floor" but it's just "bleeeeaaaghh"

Gonna watch some mindless nonsense with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and ask myself why oh why someone in Hollywood didn't think to approach this 6'5" 250lb action star for the role instead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Aug 2013, 9:59 am

Just watched Ocean's 12 for the first time. And also the last time. It features a God-awful 10mins where Julia Roberts' character has to pretend to be Julia Roberts, and Bruce Willis as Bruce Willis is in there as well. It was horrifying.

And whereas Ocean's 11's heist was built up and looked like a masterpiece, the 'heist' in Ocean's 12 was very much a throw-away at the end.

Terrible film. 1/10. And that's only because Catherine Zeta-Jones was in it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:03 am

It is truly awful isn't it Azzy. Apparently they wanted to market the third film as "the sequel we should have made" so it would appear everyone involved agrees with your summary. Truly up there with Jaws the Revenge as one of the worst films I have ever seen.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:05 am

I'll throw my hat in the ring and say that it's balls too. In fact to be honest, I can barely remember the "plot" and the only residual memory I have of it is that it's cack.

Can't even recall if I've seen Ocean's 13 either such is the dreadfulness of Ocean's 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:09 am

13 is far better Dave (damning with faint praise if ever there was)

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:14 am

There is zero chance I will be buying Ocean's 13. I paid £1.50 for Ocean's 12 and I want a full refund!

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:19 am

i ve not seen any of the oceans films . just didnt fancy them and by what Im reading on here i made a good choice . just bought the game of thrones season 2 so Im watching that . i know its not a film but i love it long time

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:27 am

Rowley wrote:I watched Trance. By no means Danny Boyle's finest hour but enjoyable enough. Also has Vincent Cassell and Rosario Dawson in which I always consider a positive. Worth watching but don't go out of your way to watch it.
Did you buy that of Sky Box Office, Jeffrey? Me and Mrs Windows had a prolonged conversation about whether to buy it or not. She wouldn't entertain the remake of The Evil Dead so I asked about Trance. She saw it at the cinema ages ago with a mate but said it was well worth watching. We had almost reached agreement on buying it, when she says "actually, this is silly, I have already watched it. Lets watch something else instead".

So we watched Silence of the Lambs which, you guessed it, we have already seen. As Beefcake would say, "go figure".

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:31 am

I did buy it on Sky box office. Break from watching Sons of Anarchy on Netflix, which to be honest is nowhere near as good as folk had led me to believe.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:35 am

Rowley wrote:I did buy it on Sky box office. Break from watching Sons of Anarchy on Netflix, which to be honest is nowhere near as good as folk had led me to believe.
Big fan of "Sons..." and am halfway through Season 5. Granted it's not in the same league as Sopranos or The Wire (but very few things will live up to those) but it's one that I enjoy. Tried watching quite a few highly recommeded shows but just can't seem to get into them (Game of Thrones being one of them). Perhaps it's just whatever floats ya boat

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:38 am

Watched Psycho for the first time in over twenty years over the weekend, as I wanted to introduce my 15 year old lad to it. He has been getting into the Bates Motel series, so it gave him some perspective. Still an excellent film with the power to shock (a fifteen year old at least!!).

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:41 am

It alright Dave, but think it is one I had heard so much about it fell a bit short of expectations. However the same is true of Breaking Bad and if anything that exceeded my expectations, and is back tonight, so excited.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:45 am

I fear I'll be like this with "Breaking Bad". Heard a lot about it on here so downloaded it. Bound to be disappointed though. Also downloaded "Boardwalk Empire" but lord only knows when I'll get chance to watch it.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:53 am

At the end of series 3 SOA.

Its ok but nothing on Breaking Bad.

New Episode available on line!! Will watch shortly Smile

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:54 am

[quote="DAVE667"]I fear I'll be like this with "Breaking Bad". Heard a lot about it on here so downloaded it. Bound to be disappointed though. Also downloaded "Boardwalk Empire" but lord only knows when I'll get chance to watch it.[/quote

You will not be disappointed !!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:56 am

mystiroakey wrote:At the end of series 3 SOA.

Its ok but nothing on Breaking Bad.

New Episode available on line!! Will watch shortly Smile

Just remember the rules about posting spoilers before I have had chance to watch it this evening. I have banned people on far more spurious reasons than that in the past.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:57 am

I wont spoil!!!!

I am very ethical when it comes to that pal...

The last thing I would want is any one doing it to me!! Smile

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next