The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

+55
Manky-Flanker
RubyGuby
alive555
Glas a du
lostinwales
Triangulation
beshocked
kiakahaaotearoa
aucklandlaurie
Solid8
Scrumpy
Pat_Mustard
Effervescing Elephant
Tattie Scones RRN
George Carlin
townsendistarantino
reallybored
21st Century Schizoid Man
David Hardley
123skelm
tigertattie
EWT Spoons
highland_scot
glamorganalun
gregortree
caz
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
RuggerRadge2611
R!skysports
GLove39
nickj
Scot Abroad
Geordie
Captain_Sensible
Taylorman
jimbopip
gboycottnut
RDW
Imperialbigdave
MacKnocked-on
king_carlos
formerly known as Sam
TJ1
NeilyBroon
UlstermaninGlasgow
funnyExiledScot
Majestic83
IanBru
sensisball
Poorfour
yappysnap
Tramptastic
Exiledinborders
bsando
59 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Your team to play England

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_lcap0%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 2 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_lcap7%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 34 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_lcap6%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 29 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_lcap1%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 6 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_lcap4%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 19 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_lcap6%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 31 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_lcap1%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 4 ]
[ 30 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_lcap2%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 12 ]
[ 3 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_lcap2%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 9 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_lcap4%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 20 ]
[ 6 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_lcap3%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 15 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_lcap0%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 1 ]
[ 22 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 30 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 23 ]
[ 10 ]
[ 33 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 9 ]
[ 33 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_lcap5%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 26 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 33 ]
[ 6 ]
[ 1 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_lcap7%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 35 ]
[ 13 ]
[ 1 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_lcap3%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 17 ]

Total Votes : 523

Poll closed

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Empty Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

Post by bsando Thu 27 Dec 2012, 8:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

Scotland squad for training camp in Glasgow (January 20-23) ahead of RBS 6 Nations Championship:

Backs: Peter Murchie*, Stuart Hogg, Sean Maitland*, Tommy Seymour*, Sean Lamont (all Glasgow Warriors), Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby), Max Evans (Castres), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby), Alex Dunbar* Peter Horne*, Duncan Weir, Ruaridh Jackson (all Glasgow Warriors), Tom Heathcote (Bath Rugby), Henry Pyrgos, Sean Kennedy* (both Glasgow Warriors) and Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby).

Forwards: Alasdair Dickinson (Sale Sharks), Ryan Grant, Dougie Hall, Pat MacArthur* (all Glasgow Warriors), Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby), Euan Murray (Worcester Warriors), Geoff Cross (Edinburgh Rugby), Moray Low, Alastair Kellock (both Glasgow Warriors), Richie Gray (Sale Sharks), Jim Hamilton (Gloucester), Grant Gilchrist* (Edinburgh Rugby), Kelly Brown (Saracens), Robert Harley, Ryan Wilson* (both Glasgow Warriors), Johnnie Beattie (Montpellier), David Denton (Edinburgh Rugby), Richie Vernon (Sale Sharks), Chris Fusaro* (Glasgow Warriors).

* = Uncapped.

Invited to be with the squad as they recover from injury: Chris Cusiter, John Barclay and Jon Welsh (all Glasgow Warriors) Nick De Luca and Ross Rennie (both Edinburgh Rugby) and Scott Lawson (London Irish).

Note to editors: Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan) will miss the camp for family reasons as his wife is expecting their second child.

Last edited by bsando on Thu 17 Jan 2013, 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Empty Re: Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 12:57 pm

I couldn't give a monkeys about beating Australia or South Africa or anyone else.

Especially when we are getting white washed in the 6N and ejected in the pool stages in the RWC.

We need silverware more than SH scalps.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 11 Empty Re: Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

Post by RDW Tue 15 Jan 2013, 12:59 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I couldn't give a monkeys about beating Australia or South Africa or anyone else.

Especially when we are getting white washed in the 6N and ejected in the pool stages in the RWC.

+1

Especially since there are usually attenuating circumstances - i.e. it was pishin doon or their kicker couldn't hit a barn door

6N is now the be all and end all for me as far as I am concerned

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:01 pm

My prediction of what we'll get:

1.Grant 2.Ford 3.Murray 4.Gray 5.Kellock 6.Denton 7.Brown 8.Beattie 9.Laidlaw 10.Jackson 11.Visser 12.Scott 13.Lamont 14.Maitland 15.Hogg

16.Low 17.MacArthur 18.Dickinson 19.Hamilton 20.Harley 21.Pyrgos 22.Heathcote 23.Murchie

My preferred selection:

1.Grant 2.MacArthur 3.Murray 4.Hamilton 5.Gray 6.Brown (c) 7.Fusaro 8.Beattie 9.Pyrgos 10.Laidlaw 11.Visser 12.Scott 13.Lamont 14.Maitland 15.Hogg

16.Low 17.Ford 18.Dickinson 19.Kellock 20.Denton 21.Jackson 22.Dunbar 23.Seymour

From Ryan's analysis of the Glasgow vs Ulster game, I'd be very surprised if Kellock didn't start, and whilst I expect Ryan to be a big fan of Hamilton's playing style, I think Scotland will want more mobility at lock to counter Launchberry, Lawes and Parling.

Also think that Johnson has made his mind up on Beattie at 8 and Laidlaw and Jackson at 9 and 10 respectively, unless he's deliberately trying to throw Lancaster off the scent (not that I think he'll be focused too much on Scotland).

On the back row, if Fusaro is not fit, I'd start Denton at 7 and have Harley on the bench.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:01 pm

See this is where I start to get worried.

No Tonks
No Grove
No Swinston

Johnson has said he will select on form and fitness. Swinston is in far better form that Kellock/Gilchrist. Same with Tonks over Murchie/Hogg

And Max evans.............

No Johnson, just no!!!!

If we rock up at twickers with evans at 13, say hello to a Manu hat-trick. If we rock up with Slong at 13, say hello to a Scottish back 3 deprived of any decet attacking ball.

I was worried about Johnson being appointed. I still am worried. And did you hear his coment yesterday "we have one eye on 2014 or whenever it is" - Oh jeebus, the man does not even know what year the World cup is to be held. How can he plan for a competition when he does not know when it is???

I've followed Scotland all my life but I'm really starting to dispair with the constant incompetence of the whole set up!

Last edited by tigertattie on Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:02 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I couldn't give a monkeys about beating Australia or South Africa or anyone else.

+1

Especially since there are usually attenuating circumstances - i.e. it was pishin doon or their kicker couldn't hit a barn door

Ditto, close the book untill we can start winning instead of "being competative".
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:02 pm

Agreed! I think its consistency Scotland really need, ie a year where we do well in 6N, Summer tests and autumn tests. Don't have to win every game but just maintain a level of decent play instead of the mad roller coaster ride that scotland currently are.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:08 pm

Whilst I think every international is important, the WC and the 6 Nations ought to be the priorities, and it's in those two areas that Robinson failed.

This 6 Nations to my mind is a lost opportunity. I would far rather the new permanent head coach had been given the chance to try things out and learn about the squad, than his interim set-up, which doesn't strike me as particularly accountable.

Whilst I like both men as individuals and I don't think either are "bad coaches", I don't get the impression either Ryan or Johnson particularly care about the outcome of this 6 Nations for Scotland. Ryan's priority is his media career, and Johnson has openly stated that he isn't particularly bothered about being in the job long-term.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:29 pm

I'm bored so here I'm listing the differences between this year's squad and the one initially named before last year's Six Nations. I'm comparing players who have left the squad with those who have replaced them in the various areas of the team. I've noted the players who would probably be in this year's squad if not for injury or personal reasons, and some of these will likely come into contention during the course of the championship. Obviously this comparison doesn't take into account changes in the form of the players who remain in the squad, but gives an idea of how the changes in personnel affects the strength of the squad.

Out ....... In
Back Three
Rory Lamont (recently injured) Peter Murchie
Simon Danielli Sean Maitland
Lee Jones Tim Visser
Tommy Seymour
Centres
Nick De Luca (injured) Alex Dunbar
Graeme Morrison Matt Scott
Steven Shingler Peter Horne
Joe Ansbro (injured)
Fly Half
Dan Parks Tom Heathcote
Scrum Half
Mike Blair Henry Pyrgos
Chris Cusiter (injured) Sean Kennedy
Rory Lawson
Front Row
Allan Jacobsen Ryan Grant
Scott Lawson Pat MacArthur
Second Row
Fraser McKenzie Grant Gilchrist
Back Row
Alasdair Strokosch (personal) Ryan Wilson
Ross Rennie (injured) Chris Fusaro
John Barclay (injured) Johnnie Beattie

Looking at the changes I would say on paper we are looking stronger than last year in the back three and front row, and not much change in the second row. I'm not sure about Heathcote at fly half, mixed fortunes in the centres and we're looking weaker than last year at scrum half and back row (although openside only really).

I guess we already knew all this but I just thought I'd write it down and its a different way of looking at the squad.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:33 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Whilst I think every international is important, the WC and the 6 Nations ought to be the priorities, and it's in those two areas that Robinson failed.

This 6 Nations to my mind is a lost opportunity. I would far rather the new permanent head coach had been given the chance to try things out and learn about the squad, than his interim set-up, which doesn't strike me as particularly accountable.

Whilst I like both men as individuals and I don't think either are "bad coaches", I don't get the impression either Ryan or Johnson particularly care about the outcome of this 6 Nations for Scotland. Ryan's priority is his media career, and Johnson has openly stated that he isn't particularly bothered about being in the job long-term.

I see where your coming from FES, I would also prefer a Stuart Lancaster to Johnson, ie, an interim coach who is desperate for the job and is willing to work as hard as possible to get it. However, perhaps a more laidback emphasis on a Scottish team who seem to continuously get hounded by the media about wether they'll show up at the 6N will work better? Dean Ryan seems like a great guy to have, even if only for a short time, because he'll just say it how it is and give all the players the right advice rather than hopeful encouragement. At least I think he will, he seems that sort of guy. I personally think it may work out well, but if it doesn't at least the SRU have not rushed into securing a permanent position that may well have resulted in bad coach. They now have time to make a proper decision on a permanent head coach. Who knows, perhaps more coaches will be willing to send in there CV if they see Scotland having a good go at it this 6 Nations?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:37 pm

Nice one Mustard! I was doing the exact same thing last night. It does look much more encouraging than last years squad. Although an in form Rennie would have been nice. I personally far prefer Scott and Dunbar to Morrison and De Luca and i think Johnson will not select Heathcote to start, despite the jury being open.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:38 pm

That is a fair point. I'm not privy to the discussions, and it may well be that the right man they've identified just isn't available until the summer. If that's true, then I fully back the decision to wait.

I just think it's a shame that both men have stated that they don't really care about getting the job long-term. Lancaster was (and still is) a big risk, but they found a man with an encyclopedic knowledge of the English players available and a man who was absolutely desperate for the job and had a plan for England that he felt was the best way forward. It's a shame we didn't have a similar interim option.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:43 pm

bsando wrote:Nice one Mustard! I was doing the exact same thing last night. It does look much more encouraging than last years squad. Although an in form Rennie would have been nice. I personally far prefer Scott and Dunbar to Morrison and De Luca and i think Johnson will not select Heathcote to start, despite the jury being open.

Scott is far preferable to Morrison obviously, I'd say De Luca vs Dunbar is closer and I'd like to have De Luca available. Dunbar I prefer at 12 if he'd played there for Glasgow recently but in the circumstances I'd go for Scott-Dunbar. Having Ansbro available would be nice too hence my rating of "mixed fortunes"!

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:47 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

+1

Ditto, close the book untill we can start winning instead of "being competative".

I did so want to avoid this but i can't help myself.

You cannot even spell "Competitive "

hahahahahahaha

sorry

Last edited by Triangulation on Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : and neither can i!)

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:49 pm

I think of the currently injured players, I'd like the following in the current squad:

Jon Welsh instead of Ali Dickinson
Ross Rennie ahead of Chris Fusaro
John Barclay ahead of Richie Vernon
Chris Cusiter ahead of Sean Kennedy
NDL ahead of Peter Horne
Joe Ansbro ahead of Max Evans

I'd also have included Tim Swinson ahead of Grant Gilchrist, and Greg Tonks ahead of Peter Murchie.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:53 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I think of the currently injured players, I'd like the following in the current squad:

Jon Welsh instead of Ali Dickinson
Ross Rennie ahead of Chris Fusaro
John Barclay ahead of Richie Vernon
Chris Cusiter ahead of Sean Kennedy
NDL ahead of Peter Horne
Joe Ansbro ahead of Max Evans

I'd also have included Tim Swinson ahead of Grant Gilchrist, and Greg Tonks ahead of Peter Murchie.

agree with all of that and don't think you'll get many arguments from others except perhaps on De Luca! I'd be feeling much more confident if all that came true!

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:58 pm

To be honest, the only two players not available that I'd have definitely included in my starting XV were they fit are Ross Rennie and Chris Cusiter. That's not too bad really.

I'd also have considered alternatives to Sean Lamont at 13, although there's a strong case for his physicality against a very physical England centre combination, and I'd have like to have seen Tim Swinson involved in the squad, either starting or on the bench, as I believe his performances merit inclusion.

All in all though, when you think of the injuries the Welsh are currently having to deal with, we're not in a bad place on the injuries front.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:06 pm

No sympathy for the Welsh - they have had 3 grand slams in my adult life time, it's time us Scots had something to cheer about!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:26 pm

But are they the reigning 5 Nations champions, having held the trophy since 1999? I think not.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:29 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:That is a fair point. I'm not privy to the discussions, and it may well be that the right man they've identified just isn't available until the summer. If that's true, then I fully back the decision to wait.

I just think it's a shame that both men have stated that they don't really care about getting the job long-term. Lancaster was (and still is) a big risk, but they found a man with an encyclopedic knowledge of the English players available and a man who was absolutely desperate for the job and had a plan for England that he felt was the best way forward. It's a shame we didn't have a similar interim option.
I'm not sure that this is true, in a wild stab in the dark at fairness.

I've read the transcripts for a couple of press conferences now and I think what Johnson is intentionally doing is taking all of the pressure of the players. He absolutely refuses to answer questions about whether we'll 'win' or 'how many we'll win' and is focussing instead on getting the players' performance right. What else is he meant to say? If he says we'll be Grand Slammers, he'll be snickered at for being naive; if he aims low for 1-2 wins, then he'll be accused of being unambitious and/or sending a message to the players about his perception of their abilities; if he mentions a mid-tier number of wins and doesn't hit it, then he's just made the noose to hand himself as interim manager once the competition is over.

What is also true is that Johnson has been handed a difficult task without much time to do anything about it and he's also using that as a tool to dial-down expectations. I think at its core is an attempt to protect the players, whilst at the same time building them up as being potentially excellent talents with nothing to lose - both he and Ryan have expressly made a point of saying that Scotland has some talents every other team would envy.

Talking about 'being competitive' and focussing on the 'things the team can control' is just to give the press something to say. As mentioned above, to steer into hyperbole is completely self defeating and in any event, the one thing I am reasonably sure about is that for Johnson, the players and his relationship with them is the important thing. He would have been right there to see the embarrassment of last year's 6N and the terrible AI series. I think that he realises the key things are building basics and building confidence.

Just because Johnson never thrust himself forward for the job does not mean that he wouldn't take it if offered and certainly doesn't mean that he wouldn't take pride in it. Ryan, on the other hand, has been quite open about the fact that this is only a 12 week appointment for him as he doesn't want to go back into coaching full time.

I think that to read the comments in isolation indicates disinterest whereas actually he's just being smart with the press - lessons that we all know have been hard won from his perspective. He knows he antagnises people and whilst he probably secretly loves it, he knows that it's damaging.

There have been some good posts on the team. Please can we also not forget that only 2-3 seasons ago, we were looking at a backline that contained Parks, Morrison, De Luca, Danielli (the slowest wing since Iwan Tukalo), Nikki Walker and the Squashed Goblin Maxwellian Evans. Now our back three contains a Junior World Cup Winner who has scored 23 tries in the most demanding club league in the world, a player who has broken a league scoring record in three and a half seasons overcoming the record of someone who has taken five seasons more to get to the same scoring level and a 20 year old who scored 2 tries in the tournament last year (I'm counting the that stupid b@stard Poite didn't allow despite it being entirely valid).

It's not all bad. I am making like Scott Johnson. Talking about the worst (or not talking at all) and hoping for the best.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:42 pm

The more I hear it the more I'm coming round to the idea of Denton at 7, not as a long term option obviously, just to cover us during the time Rennie & Barclay are out.

Also I think someone asked this earlier but I just wanted to mention it again as Tonks' name has been discussed a lot in terms of "where is he?". Does anyone know for sure that Tonks wants to (or still wants to) play for Scotland? I only ask because I can't imagine that Johnson doesn't rate him (maybe he does) so I'm trying to work out the reasons for his exclusion, especially when you consider he apparently can cover stand off and I think either 12 &/or 13(if I remember correctly).

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:45 pm

I’d be very surprised if he ruled himself out of playing for Scotland. He’s a long way down the list of English fullbacks and surely all pro rugby players set their sights on playing international rugby, whether they want to or not.

I’d hope he would want to play for Scotland as much as he’d want international rugby.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:57 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I’d be very surprised if he ruled himself out of playing for Scotland. He’s a long way down the list of English fullbacks and surely all pro rugby players set their sights on playing international rugby, whether they want to or not.

I’d hope he would want to play for Scotland as much as he’d want international rugby.

You're probably right, I was just putting it out there as a possible reason. I can't recall reading/hearing him say he wants to play for Scotland.....

Never mind, I've just done a google search of 'Tonks Scotland' and there are dozens of articles about how he wants to play for Scotland. I probably should have done that in the first place. Rolling Eyes Braveheart

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 15 Jan 2013, 3:24 pm

It would be a hell of a journey. South Africa to England to Scotland. I can almost smell the outrage on these boards from some posters!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 15 Jan 2013, 3:27 pm

Can't believe i used the word 'journey'. I should be struck from the boards for that...
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 3:30 pm

This threads become to sensible again. How's about Beattie teams up with Vernon in the center..? Both big & fast. And best of all our opponents won't be able to study the tapes. They'll never see what hit them!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Jan 2013, 3:49 pm

George: all the stuff at the start of your post is irrelevant to the point I was making. I agree that Johnson has said all the right things about performance, and not focusing on results or target. Not the point I was making though.

My point was that Johnson has been indifferent to his desire to be head coach of Scotland, and Dean Ryan has openly stated that he doesn't want the job long-term. Obviously this may all be smoke and mirrors, but I'd far rather we had coaches who really wanted the job, and weren't just building the side for someone else (who may have entirely different ideas). As you say, maybe Johnson does secretly want it but doesn't want to put pressure on himself to perform, but I'm not entirely convinced that's the spirit!

How about this:

"I'd love to be head coach of Scotland long-term, it would be a huge honour. It wasn't the job I came here for, I came here to work with Andy Robinson, a man and a coach I have huge respect for, but for me personally I'd love the opportunity to take this talented group of players forward. Clearly my mandate is for the next 5 games, and I'll be doing everything within my power to get Scotland producing performances that players and fans alike can be proud of. Hopefully, if we can do that, then the SRU will look favourably on my desire to be head coach of Scotland long-term."

That's what I would have liked to here. I'm a simple soul, but I'd quite like to have been given the impression that he gives a stuff.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 15 Jan 2013, 4:13 pm

Tonks said in the scotland on sunday that he wants to play for scotland. I couldnt find it on the website, but it was in the printed version.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 15 Jan 2013, 4:15 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:Tonks said in the scotland on sunday that he wants to play for scotland. I couldnt find it on the website, but it was in the printed version.

Definitely deserves a call up, is he in the A side?
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Jan 2013, 4:19 pm

He deserves to be in the main squad, but if not then he'll surely be in the A squad, hopefully along with Ryder, Swinson, Weir and Cairns. Perhaps a useful game for Rennie to play, to get him back to match sharpness.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 15 Jan 2013, 4:27 pm

Right - suggestions for the A team lineup!

1 Reid
2 Lawrie
3 Kalman (assuming fit)
4 Ryder
5 Gilchrist
6 McInally
7 Grant
8 Wilson
9 Kennedy
10 Weir/Heathcoat (I quite like the idea of Heathcoat getting a run in the A team instead of throwing him straight in there)
11 Seymour
12 Horne
13 Dunbar
14 Fife
15 Tonks

Not a bad team!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 15 Jan 2013, 4:28 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Right - suggestions for the A team lineup!

1 Reid
2 Lawrie
3 Kalman (assuming fit)
4 Ryder
5 Gilchrist
6 McInally
7 Grant
8 Wilson
9 Kennedy
10 Weir/Heathcoat (I quite like the idea of Heathcoat getting a run in the A team instead of throwing him straight in there)
11 Seymour
12 Horne
13 Dunbar
14 Fife
15 Tonks

Not a bad team!

Perfect chance for Vernon at 12 surely?!!?!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 4:53 pm

Compared to Robinsons squad / team to take on England last year (Dan Parks FFS) this is miles and miles better. the deadweight has gone, we almost all agree on the core of th team with only some fringe players where we differ. So Johnson has passed the first test. The squad looks right. Tests 2 and 3 to come. Can he select the right team and can he actually get them to play as a team and to the sum of their parts? We will see.

So far so good.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 15 Jan 2013, 4:56 pm

Johnson is a funny fella. He does not sign contracts and is always looking at the here and now rather than the future. He comes and goes with the wind. He is rugby's version of Mary Poppins.

You cannot read anything into what he says or does not say about long term involvement as he is too whimsicle to know what he will be doing for breakfast tomorrow let alone what his career path will look like in a years time

As for Ryan, happy for him to come in alomst a consultant type, but he has stated that after the 6n's he is going toodle oo back to the land of media punditary. He should be able to advise, but Scotland need a long term forwards coach that has a game plan to build up on. a stop gap appointment is imo a bit pointless.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:01 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:George: all the stuff at the start of your post is irrelevant to the point I was making. I agree that Johnson has said all the right things about performance, and not focusing on results or target. Not the point I was making though.

My point was that Johnson has been indifferent to his desire to be head coach of Scotland, and Dean Ryan has openly stated that he doesn't want the job long-term. Obviously this may all be smoke and mirrors, but I'd far rather we had coaches who really wanted the job, and weren't just building the side for someone else (who may have entirely different ideas). As you say, maybe Johnson does secretly want it but doesn't want to put pressure on himself to perform, but I'm not entirely convinced that's the spirit!

How about this:

"I'd love to be head coach of Scotland long-term, it would be a huge honour. It wasn't the job I came here for, I came here to work with Andy Robinson, a man and a coach I have huge respect for, but for me personally I'd love the opportunity to take this talented group of players forward. Clearly my mandate is for the next 5 games, and I'll be doing everything within my power to get Scotland producing performances that players and fans alike can be proud of. Hopefully, if we can do that, then the SRU will look favourably on my desire to be head coach of Scotland long-term."

That's what I would have liked to here. I'm a simple soul, but I'd quite like to have been given the impression that he gives a stuff.

'Irrelevant' but I still like to think nicely expressed. kiss

I think that it would be a bit disengenous (I've given up on the spelling mistonks) if he said that he did. I think all he's really said was that he wanted the job of attack coach, which is the one he applied for and to be asked to take the whole team through a 6Nations on little notice is not ideal but he's committed to the players and the management and was happy to help. I actually think the main issue was that he was fed up doing press junkets and having to conceal his contempt of the press.

Give the man a chance. It's not like he's said he's a fan of Mark Bennett or anything. Run
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:12 pm

I just watched a highlight video of Beattie, he was (hopefully still is) very good. In fact if he's returned to that level he could easily make the Lions.

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:17 pm

George Carlin wrote:

Give the man a chance. It's not like he's said he's a fan of Mark Bennett or anything. Run

That's true - I should be thankful for small mercies!!

I'm certainly willing to give him a chance. The squad isn't bad and the expectations are zero, so he can certainly use that to his advantage.

Whilst I don't like the fact that Dean Ryan isn't fully committed, I do rate him as an analyst and coach, and I do think he add something to the mix. Given the circumstances and the apparent lack of committed and qualified Scots options, I think it was a smart appointment.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:18 pm

123456789 wrote:I just watched a highlight video of Beattie, he was (hopefully still is) very good. In fact if he's returned to that level he could easily make the Lions.

Steady on now. Let's just see him play in the 6 Nations and take it from there. Let's not get all Welsh about this.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:28 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
123456789 wrote:I just watched a highlight video of Beattie, he was (hopefully still is) very good. In fact if he's returned to that level he could easily make the Lions.

Steady on now. Let's just see him play in the 6 Nations and take it from there. Let's not get all Welsh about this.

I'm just saying realistically Heaslip is past it and Morgan Denton and Faletau are all very similar, Beattie offers skill and power.

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:31 pm

Should Cox be in the team? after all ROG put him on the ground with a girly little kick Whistle

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:35 pm

TJ wrote:Should Cox be in the team? after all ROG put him on the ground with a girly little kick Whistle

hes english...
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:36 pm

123456789 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

I'm just saying realistically Heaslip is past it and Morgan Denton and Faletau are all very similar, Beattie offers skill and power.

I think a fair few may disagree that Heaslip is "past it", and I wouldn't say that Morgan and Faletau are similar either. Faletau is distinguishable by his huge workrate, particularly his tackling and ball carrying, whereas Morgan is principally an old school bludgeon ball carrier. You're unlikely to see Morgan topping any tackles made charts, but he will carry and carry.

I'd say Denton and Beattie are actually quite similar players.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:38 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:
TJ wrote:Should Cox be in the team? after all ROG put him on the ground with a girly little kick Whistle

hes english...

Doh its been a long day

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:39 pm

There have been some good posts on the team. Please can we also not forget that only 2-3 seasons ago, we were looking at a backline that contained Parks, Morrison, De Luca, Danielli (the slowest wing since Iwan Tukalo), Nikki Walker and the Squashed Goblin Maxwellian Evans. Now our back three contains a Junior World Cup Winner who has scored 23 tries in the most demanding club league in the world, a player who has broken a league scoring record in three and a half seasons overcoming the record of someone who has taken five seasons more to get to the same scoring level and a 20 year old who scored 2 tries in the tournament last year (I'm counting the that stupid b@stard Poite didn't allow despite it being entirely valid).

GC you could add the utterly woeful Hugo Southwell to that mob - it beggars belief that some on here (606v2 - not this post necessarily) wanted him selected in this squad Shocked

Any way I was out running on Sunday and saw John Barclay out walking his dog and he wasn't limping or anything Smile We may still get the Killer Bs reunited later in the 6Ns Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Jan 2013, 6:02 pm

Well if he's able to walk his dog he should certainly be capable of beating Robshaw to every breakdown Wink

That's harsh on Danielli. I'd say he's a quicker player than James McLaren, Andy Henderson and Roland Reid. All players who have graced the Scotland back three in the last decade.

Is John Barclay's dog Scots qualified?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue 15 Jan 2013, 6:14 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:

GC you could add the utterly woeful Hugo Southwell to that mob - it beggars belief that some on here (606v2 - not this post necessarily) wanted him selected in this squad Shocked

Any way I was out running on Sunday and saw John Barclay out walking his dog and he wasn't limping or anything Smile We may still get the Killer Bs reunited later in the 6Ns Very Happy

I don't know who is the worse ever player to have played at full-back for Scotland. But I think it is a choice between Hugo Southwell and Rowan Shepherd.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Jan 2013, 6:22 pm

You've got to remember that Rowan Shepherd only got the call because Kenny Logan was tried at 15 and it was discovered that he couldn't and wouldn't tackle, principally due to his desire to preserve his looks (given he subsequently landed Gabby, I say fair play).

There's also Derek Lee to factor into the equation. His legs were so short that even though he moved them at record pace, he was still slow, and he couldn't catch a high ball either.

We also deployed Brendan (the Chainsaw) Laney at 15 for a while. Even slower than Shepherd or Lee!

Southwell is a far better player than those listed above. I personally blame the coaches for the mess of an international player Southwell became. He had the jersey during the "aerial ping pong" years of international rugby, when percentages were all that mattered. Low and behold he goes to Stade Francais and Wasps and he's a changed man. A fullback with a big boot but also a decent counter-attacking game with ball in hand, unrecognisable from the player "coached" by Williams (who used him at centre!!), Hadden and Robinson.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 6:47 pm

Southwell is a decent player. Best full back we had for many years. ONly the last year or two bettered

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Jan 2013, 7:04 pm

During my years supporting Scotland (Hastings onwards), I'd rank the fullbacks as follows:

1. Gavin Hastings
2. Glenn Metcalfe
3. Chris Paterson
4. Hugo Southwell
5. Rory Lamont

I'd say the rest have all been dross. Too soon to pass judgement on Stuart Hogg, but the signs are good that he can have a crack at the top three listed above.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 15 Jan 2013, 7:07 pm

Surely this has to be the moment for us to move triumphantly to page 12?
Headscratch
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 7:18 pm

How would Hastings have done in todays game?

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next