The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

+55
Manky-Flanker
RubyGuby
alive555
Glas a du
lostinwales
Triangulation
beshocked
kiakahaaotearoa
aucklandlaurie
Solid8
Scrumpy
Pat_Mustard
Effervescing Elephant
Tattie Scones RRN
George Carlin
townsendistarantino
reallybored
21st Century Schizoid Man
David Hardley
123skelm
tigertattie
EWT Spoons
highland_scot
glamorganalun
gregortree
caz
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
RuggerRadge2611
R!skysports
GLove39
nickj
Scot Abroad
Geordie
Captain_Sensible
Taylorman
jimbopip
gboycottnut
RDW
Imperialbigdave
MacKnocked-on
king_carlos
formerly known as Sam
TJ1
NeilyBroon
UlstermaninGlasgow
funnyExiledScot
Majestic83
IanBru
sensisball
Poorfour
yappysnap
Tramptastic
Exiledinborders
bsando
59 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Your team to play England

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_lcap0%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 2 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_lcap7%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 34 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_lcap6%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 29 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_lcap1%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 6 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_lcap4%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 19 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_lcap6%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 31 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_lcap1%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 4 ]
[ 30 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_lcap2%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 12 ]
[ 3 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_lcap2%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 9 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_lcap4%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 20 ]
[ 6 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_lcap3%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 15 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_lcap0%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 1 ]
[ 22 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 30 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 23 ]
[ 10 ]
[ 33 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 9 ]
[ 33 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_lcap5%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 26 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 33 ]
[ 6 ]
[ 1 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_lcap7%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 35 ]
[ 13 ]
[ 1 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_lcap3%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 17 ]

Total Votes : 523

Poll closed

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Empty Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

Post by bsando Thu 27 Dec 2012, 8:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

Scotland squad for training camp in Glasgow (January 20-23) ahead of RBS 6 Nations Championship:

Backs: Peter Murchie*, Stuart Hogg, Sean Maitland*, Tommy Seymour*, Sean Lamont (all Glasgow Warriors), Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby), Max Evans (Castres), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby), Alex Dunbar* Peter Horne*, Duncan Weir, Ruaridh Jackson (all Glasgow Warriors), Tom Heathcote (Bath Rugby), Henry Pyrgos, Sean Kennedy* (both Glasgow Warriors) and Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby).

Forwards: Alasdair Dickinson (Sale Sharks), Ryan Grant, Dougie Hall, Pat MacArthur* (all Glasgow Warriors), Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby), Euan Murray (Worcester Warriors), Geoff Cross (Edinburgh Rugby), Moray Low, Alastair Kellock (both Glasgow Warriors), Richie Gray (Sale Sharks), Jim Hamilton (Gloucester), Grant Gilchrist* (Edinburgh Rugby), Kelly Brown (Saracens), Robert Harley, Ryan Wilson* (both Glasgow Warriors), Johnnie Beattie (Montpellier), David Denton (Edinburgh Rugby), Richie Vernon (Sale Sharks), Chris Fusaro* (Glasgow Warriors).

* = Uncapped.

Invited to be with the squad as they recover from injury: Chris Cusiter, John Barclay and Jon Welsh (all Glasgow Warriors) Nick De Luca and Ross Rennie (both Edinburgh Rugby) and Scott Lawson (London Irish).

Note to editors: Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan) will miss the camp for family reasons as his wife is expecting their second child.

Last edited by bsando on Thu 17 Jan 2013, 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Empty Re: Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

Post by 123456789 Mon 21 Jan 2013, 6:45 pm

I think that only Scott, Visser and Laidlaw have a chance of starting from Edinburgh in contrast to Glasgow who could have at least ten players starting. The way to win at Twickenham would be to pick a team that can match them physically and mentally, currently most Edinburgh players would be unable to match them physically or, due to their lack of brains, mentally.

Back to top Go down

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations - Page 18 Empty Re: Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

Post by tigertattie Mon 21 Jan 2013, 6:53 pm

Tonks and Grove really need to be called up.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 21 Jan 2013, 7:23 pm

gboycottnut wrote:Why not play a flank forward such as Kelly Brown at number 12 or 13 to give physical presence to a Scottish backline which lacks muscle.

Arrgghhhh - Vernon would be the best possibility as he has a bit of pace and this notion has been roundly rejected on these boards.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 21 Jan 2013, 7:24 pm

Bergamasco.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 21 Jan 2013, 7:43 pm

If Maitland was to play 13, then Jackson must start, otherwise all the responsibility of creating something will be on Scott. Maitland is a finisher, and a darn good one, but ask any crusaders fan and theyll tell you not to expect him to pull something out the bag himself.

But thats only an if. I wouldnt want to see him play 13 at all. Grove really shouldve been called up.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:03 pm

18th page! Dan Parks style pat on the bum for all of you!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Mon 21 Jan 2013, 9:30 pm

GLove39 wrote:18th page! Dan Parks style pat on the bum for all of you!

I'll be shaving in some pointy sideburns tonight for good measure.

Jackson should start at 10 with Laidlaw at 9. Pyrgos is just the kind of player you want coming off the bench in the second half to inject some energy and urgency in the backline. At which point I could see Laidlaw moving to 10 or Heathcote coming on to cover kicking duties. However bad Jacksons form has been in the past he's playing well at the moment and as every Scottish poster has proclaimed on the forum we have to go for form over favourites.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 21 Jan 2013, 10:31 pm

I'd be happy for jackson to start, his distribution and attacking game are on song, and we need to bring some confidence to twickenham.

Noticed that jack cuthbert scored a hat trick at the weekend. I wonder if we'll see him come in for scotland a.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 21 Jan 2013, 10:47 pm

It was against Bucharest juniors or something fes...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 21 Jan 2013, 10:56 pm

I know, pretty meaningless. Don't really rate him either, but he's an option to consider, certainly if the likes of murchie and lee jones have recently been in and around the squad.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 21 Jan 2013, 11:06 pm

Scot Abroad wrote:
GLove39 wrote:18th page! Dan Parks style pat on the bum for all of you!

I'll be shaving in some pointy sideburns tonight for good measure.

Jackson should start at 10 with Laidlaw at 9. Pyrgos is just the kind of player you want coming off the bench in the second half to inject some energy and urgency in the backline. At which point I could see Laidlaw moving to 10 or Heathcote coming on to cover kicking duties. However bad Jacksons form has been in the past he's playing well at the moment and as every Scottish poster has proclaimed on the forum we have to go for form over favourites.

Makes a great deal of sense. we only have what we have and thats the best compromise of experience skill and form in the half backs

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:07 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:I know, pretty meaningless. Don't really rate him either, but he's an option to consider, certainly if the likes of murchie and lee jones have recently been in and around the squad.
Cuthbert is a giant plank with all the motor skills of a newborn ferrett in knapsack.

Please can we not hear the sound of the barrell being scraped unless it is strictly necessary. Can I stress again (although tentively) that we have more talent across the board now than in previous years.

Honestly. Think about Jones, Walker, Danielli running slowly sideways and struggling to complete 4 passes all game whilst we had to watch whilst Bowe, Williams and Ashton splitting games open.

In previous years, I honestly believed that our quality of player was simply not as high as that of other nations who could offer title winners, Lions and good quality youngsters.

This is one of the very first years where I believe that whilst across the squad there remains a gap, the difference is very narrow, depending on something like our first XV being fit.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:09 am

That's what I thought about our Cuthbert until he had his caps.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 22 Jan 2013, 11:50 am

Is the next target 1000 posts?

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 22 Jan 2013, 12:13 pm

Couple of decent articles on the Scotsman site today.

Ford saying he's fit and ready to play and has been practicing his lineouts. Brown saying he still wants to be captain but Johnson hasn't spoken to him about it.

I’m paraphrasing massively, but worth a read if you've got a spare 5 mins.

Also I’m sure I’m probably reading too much into this quote from Ford:

He added: “I’m looking forward to it. Being in Glasgow training, with new coaches, new players, it’s a new start. People are asking how Edinburgh players will recover from the defeats, but I don’t think there will be a problem.

“We’ve moved to a different team, different set-up, different training and there’s a freshness guys draw confidence from

Does anyone else think that this suggests the players are sick of Bradley and co as well and are grateful to be away for a few weeks? This is more in hope than anything else.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 22 Jan 2013, 12:39 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Couple of decent articles on the Scotsman site today.

Ford saying he's fit and ready to play and has been practicing his lineouts. Brown saying he still wants to be captain but Johnson hasn't spoken to him about it.

I’m paraphrasing massively, but worth a read if you've got a spare 5 mins.

Also I’m sure I’m probably reading too much into this quote from Ford:

He added: “I’m looking forward to it. Being in Glasgow training, with new coaches, new players, it’s a new start. People are asking how Edinburgh players will recover from the defeats, but I don’t think there will be a problem.

“We’ve moved to a different team, different set-up, different training and there’s a freshness guys draw confidence from

Does anyone else think that this suggests the players are sick of Bradley and co as well and are grateful to be away for a few weeks? This is more in hope than anything else.

Ford has been practising his lineouts? Should he not do that anyway? Explains a few things if not.

After watching PM against Northampton, it's time Ford had a rest....on the bench at least and give young Pat a go against the English. Grant, Murray, Hamilton, Gray, Brown, Denton & Beattie would make up my pack.

It's time this losing streak at Twickenham was broken.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 22 Jan 2013, 12:55 pm

Having watched the replay of the Glasgow match (it's amazing what you miss from the stands, particularly with forward play), I was really impressed by Pat MacArthur.

Solid throwing, plenty of tackles, and carried well. All you could ask for, really. Glasgow still do the old Scotland 'lineout over-throw to the openside whilst defending on your own line' kamikaze call, but at least with MacArthur it works!

I can't say for certain that MacArthur is up to the task of facing England at Twickenham on his first cap - you can never be absolutely sure of a player's psyche in that scenario - but Ford simply isn't playing as well as young Pat. Ford to the bench, Pat has to start.

On a side note, I'm getting a bit sceptical of the ESPN.com stats - it has Peter Horne's 'meters run' stat for Saturday as... 8m.
Hmm...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 22 Jan 2013, 1:10 pm

Maybe by 'm' it means miles? haha

ESPN is a little behind anyway i think, I found better info on wiki than there.

I totally agree with you about Pat, he was a standout performer in my eyes last week. Really excited to see how he progresses over next few years, same as a lot of the younger Scottish players coming through. Could have a pretty nice squad by 2015.

Tattie Scone, Here Here!! If we could win a Twickers I would be over the moon. There is nothing better than beating England in my opinion and I really hope we can at least come close to it this year.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 22 Jan 2013, 1:20 pm

IanBru wrote:Having watched the replay of the Glasgow match (it's amazing what you miss from the stands, particularly with forward play), I was really impressed by Pat MacArthur.

Solid throwing, plenty of tackles, and carried well. All you could ask for, really. Glasgow still do the old Scotland 'lineout over-throw to the openside whilst defending on your own line' kamikaze call, but at least with MacArthur it works!

I can't say for certain that MacArthur is up to the task of facing England at Twickenham on his first cap - you can never be absolutely sure of a player's psyche in that scenario - but Ford simply isn't playing as well as young Pat. Ford to the bench, Pat has to start.

On a side note, I'm getting a bit sceptical of the ESPN.com stats - it has Peter Horne's 'meters run' stat for Saturday as... 8m.
Hmm...
Yes, with MacArthur, it's not an "anyone but Ford" thing - he genuinely deserves the shirt on merit.

Surely in the advent of professionalism, there cannot be a policy of keeping players back until they were 'old enough'. As has been said above, it depends entirely on the mental robustness of each player and in the absence of solid evidence of the collywobbles the form player should start, provided there are enough experienced heads around him in the pack (which there are).

Saw Tony Stainger on TV the other day. I recall Telfer saying that it didn't enter his head not to play him against England in the 1990 grand slam decider just 'because' he was 21 at the time.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 22 Jan 2013, 1:26 pm

Macarthur has to Start, he has been excellent for Glasgow, however I think if we start him Kellock should start and run the lineout in order to help MacArthur in his 1st cap.

I would rather have Hamilton for his abrasive nature against England but I think familiarity will be imortant for MacArthur.

Sooooo, the captaincy? Brown to Retain or what?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 22 Jan 2013, 1:45 pm

ross-ford-confident-he-will-be-fit-for-selection-after-stinging-experience-1-2750657

Ross Ford confident he will be fit for selection after stinging experience By DAVID FERGUSON
Published on Tuesday 22 January 2013 01:36

ROSS Ford is confident that he will be fit enough to start the RBS Six Nations Championship with Scotland, if interim head coach Scott Johnson agrees.

The Edinburgh hooker has not played since coming off in the festive derby with Glasgow, having suffered the fourth ‘stinger’ in five games. He has spent the past four weeks treating the nerve damage and was back in training with the Scotland squad at Glasgow’s indoor 3G pitch at Toryglen yesterday. He explained: “I got a number of stingers over a six-week period from the autumn Tests to then. It got gradually worse and I lost strength in one arm, so I had to take a break. B

“You watch the team playing and not winning and feel you could do something if you got out there, so it’s frustrating, but the shoulder feels a lot better now and everybody’s hopeful that I’ll at least be fit for selection for the Six Nations.”

He added that ‘at least’ because he knows it’s not a foregone conclusion that he will be considered the first choice for the No 2 jersey. This time last year Ford was being asked by Andy Robinson to take over as captain for the Six Nations, after injury robbed Kelly Brown of the honour. Robinson is now gone, Brown is back, and Ford is, like Brown, worrying only about whether he can make the team. “It was a great honour to captain Scotland and I enjoyed it,” said the hooker, “so if asked I would be delighted to do it again. But I just want to get back playing at my best and improving my game.

“A hooker is always in the spotlight for lineout throwing, and I’ve been working very hard on it.

“The lineout and the scrum will be big against England. It’s where we can really attack them from, and they will try to take us on with their driving lineouts.”

“We’ve moved to a different team, different set-up, different training and there’s a freshness guys draw confidence from.

“Get the head down, work hard and then prove that you deserve to be selected. That’s how I see things, anyway, and I’m looking forward to getting stuck in again.”

Also it seems Ross Ford has had nerve damage, hence his absence. Does that give an indication as to why his throwing has been guff lately. From my memory his throwing was pretty good post AI's...
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 22 Jan 2013, 1:46 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Macarthur has to Start, he has been excellent for Glasgow, however I think if we start him Kellock should start and run the lineout in order to help MacArthur in his 1st cap.

I would rather have Hamilton for his abrasive nature against England but I think familiarity will be imortant for MacArthur.

When I put my suggestion for a team out earlier I wasn't sure about keeping brown as captain. However the more I think about it I think he probably deserves longer than three tests, two of which were against the 1st and 2nd best teams in the world, to prove he's up to the task.

Keep him as captain for now.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 22 Jan 2013, 1:51 pm

scrum.coms stats range from reasonably accurate to downright wrong, if theyre available always go for opta stats. I dont know about club level, but for internationals they do some incredibly in depth match packs.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 22 Jan 2013, 2:16 pm

I agree that MacArthur has to start. Hopefully an angry Ford can come off the bench and make a positive impact.

It's not just MacArthur's throwing I like, it's his tackle count and work rate. We're likely going in without a specialist openside, so I think having a tackling machine like MacArthur in the pack will help to balance things out.

His form also merits a debut, and it would send the right message across the squad and the players looking to get capped. Play better than your alternates, and you get picked.

I think Brown should retain the captaincy, and Johnson should move quickly to confirm it now that England and Ireland have made their calls. The last thing he wants is unnecessary speculation, uncertainty or rumours of indecision. It's a no brainer really.

GC - I'm with you on my initial assessment of Cuthbert, a flat track bully without a sufficient skillset for an international 15, but he's a big lad, quick and not a bad strike runner. All I'm saying is let's not forget about him. He has plenty time to develop, and we're not rich enough in playing resources to be forgetting about anyone frankly.

The lesson in all this is Ryan Grant, a player who when he left Glasgow barely registered with any of us. Too lightweight and soft in the scrum. Now look at him.

Another is Kelly Brown. Never rated him at the Borders and when he first broke through into the Scotland side he looked nothing more than average. Now he's the complete blindside flanker.

Players develop at different rates. Look at Mike Brown at Quins. A few seasons back he just looked lumbering and slow, now he's one of the most commanding fullbacks on the international scene. He's worked tirelessly on his speed training and his footwork and he's now a genuinely dangerous fullback to play against.

Let's give Cuthbert time.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Jan 2013, 2:17 pm

On the basis that he's gonna probably stay on the 80 (as opposed to kellock say) I'd be happy with Brown

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 22 Jan 2013, 2:18 pm

If Kellock starts then I would probably put him as captain and let KB concentrate on his performance at 6. We'll need our best players completely focused on the task at hand and the part they need to play. Additional pressure on KB might affect his play and due to his current form, we can't afford that to happen.

If Kellock doesn't play and Laidlaw does, likewise I'd give him the captaincy for the same reason.

The key to us winning this match will be every player concentrating on their own job. Keep it simple, make every tackle count, play to the gameplan and also have a plan B in place if plan A goes mammers up and/or to mix things up and bring a variety that will hopefully catch England cold.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 22 Jan 2013, 2:22 pm

Kellock would be the wrong choice for captain. He still isn't good enough to be guaranteed of his place, and against the very best locks in the 6 Nations, he's average. Not quick enough, powerful enough or dynamic enough.

Yes, he's good at shouting "come on lads", and he likes to prowl around the pitch winding people up, but when it comes to outperforming players like Launchbury, Lawes and Parling, he's always going to come off second best. Not necessary so with Hamilton and Gray, who on their day are both top rate.

I like Kellock's attitude, and the effort he puts in can never be questionned. He's also a more disciplined player than Hamilton, and he's still our best lineout lock, so he has his merits. Were he to be picked, say to assist with settling MacArthur into the role of hooker, and Hamilton to come on as an impact sub, then I wouldn't be too bothered. He shouldn't be captain though. Been there, done that, failed.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 22 Jan 2013, 2:27 pm

Fair enough but I said if he starts he should be given the captains role more for the fact that he can make the right decisions and the responsibility doesn't turn him from an exceptional player to an average one. He'll be consistently average throughout Smile

I personally wouldn't pick him but then I'm not in charge of selection. Just stating that our best players need to play......not to worry about managing the rest of the team. That's the only way we'll win.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 22 Jan 2013, 2:30 pm

Just a snippet from an article on the BBC about JB being recalled to the squad....

'Beattie is with the Scotland squad this week, although a virus and a wrist injury has curtailed his involvement.'

Hopefully nothing serious!

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Jan 2013, 2:31 pm

I always giggle when I hear that someone has a ‘wrist injury’…

I really need to grow up.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 22 Jan 2013, 2:47 pm

Last week, my boss described someone on my team as his 'right-hand girl'. I almost spilled my coffee.

Every time Ian, every time.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 22 Jan 2013, 2:47 pm

RDW are you really suggesting that Beattie shouldn't have spent his time lying horizontally with a sore wrist and a box of tissues next to him?

Surely we all need that from time to time? What? What did I say? Erm
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Jan 2013, 2:51 pm

He’s just got engaged so is maybe preparing himself for married life.. Run

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 22 Jan 2013, 2:57 pm

Annyywayyy...

I think Brown should be captain and I like the idea of Beattie, Denton and Brown all being on the pitch at the same time due to their international experience.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 22 Jan 2013, 3:01 pm

Boooo! Bring back playing the flute solo!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 22 Jan 2013, 3:04 pm

Agreed. One thing we will have in our favour, it seems, if the moronic crowing from some English fans on other threads provides any indication will be English complacency. Lancaster is a wily coach but part of me thinks that it's much better for us with them having beaten the ABs than having narrowly lost.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Jan 2013, 3:06 pm

What have the English been saying about it? I’ve deliberately stayed away from cross-nationality discussion this 6N so far– it always just turns into large scale Wumming and unfortunately as a Mod I need to behave myself around them!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 22 Jan 2013, 3:07 pm

Glas a du wrote:Boooo! Bring back playing the flute solo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdcn6XP1N6A

Surely music for the MFLs to march out to?
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 22 Jan 2013, 3:14 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:What have the English been saying about it? I’ve deliberately stayed away from cross-nationality discussion this 6N so far– it always just turns into large scale Wumming and unfortunately as a Mod I need to behave myself around them!
You haven't been missing much, certainly nothing by way of wit or insight.

Usual Bunterish, squeaky schoolboy guff about England not having to try very hard and that it's obvious there will be a huge England victory with lashings and lashings of ginger beer. I fell asleep after that.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Tue 22 Jan 2013, 3:37 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Macarthur has to Start, he has been excellent for Glasgow, however I think if we start him Kellock should start and run the lineout in order to help MacArthur in his 1st cap.

The more I think about it, the more I think Kellock should be starting anyway. I know Hamilton adds useful bulk to the scrum but I wasn't too impressed with him in November, after hearing about how well he'd been playing for Gloucester. My main memories of him during that series are about being too slow getting to rucks, and when he got there being too knackered to hit them hard enough. Maybe that's unfair but it was instances like that which stuck in my mind. Along with Kellock's recent good form and his knack of inspiring the troops, I think he should start.

Also, and I know it doesn't prove much, and there are a lot of other variables involved - but I remember someone saying a while ago that Kellock had much better win/lose stats in internationals. I've had a look and here are their winning percentages:

All internationals:
Kellock (47 caps)...................43.61%
Scotland during same period.....39.41%
Hamilton (41 caps).................30.48%
Scotland during same period.....40.76%

Six Nations:
Kellock..................................30.95%
Scotland during same period......24.28%
Hamilton................................11.90%
Scotland during same period......18.33%

Like I said, there could be other variables involved, like the form of other players or the possiblity that Hamilton was more often selected against stronger opposition. It doesn't necessarily prove anything but then maybe it does point to something?

If I can be bothered I might do a similar comparison for other positions at some point.

On the subject of hooker, I would be more than happy to see "Pat M" on the Scotland team sheet.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 22 Jan 2013, 3:53 pm

Pat_Mustard wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think Kellock should be starting anyway. I know Hamilton adds useful bulk to the scrum but I wasn't too impressed with him in November, after hearing about how well he'd been playing for Gloucester. My main memories of him during that series are about being too slow getting to rucks, and when he got there being too knackered to hit them hard enough.

At least he hits them in the first place!!

When Kellock arrives at a ruck he just stares at them in a sort of Uri Gellar style willing the ruck to clear itself or the opposition players to run away so he doesn't have to hit them!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 22 Jan 2013, 3:55 pm

Just thought I'd drop by, and interesting posts coming in.

What are the chances of Beattie starting if fully fit? He's impressed me hugely so far this season, and looks to be back to his 2010 best.

Any chance of a Killer Bs reunion?

I watched the Saints Warriors game, and I really like the look of the MacArthur lad.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 22 Jan 2013, 3:58 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:Just thought I'd drop by, and interesting posts coming in.

What are the chances of Beattie starting if fully fit? He's impressed me hugely so far this season, and looks to be back to his 2010 best.

Any chance of a Killer Bs reunion?

I watched the Saints Warriors game, and I really like the look of the MacArthur lad.

Barclay is injured mate. As is Rennie.

as it stands the Backrow consensus seems to be Brown, Denton and Beattie.

As for where those guys will be playing anyones guess. Perhaps Johnson has something else planned but I think the majority of Scotland posters would like to see that combo playing to some extent.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 22 Jan 2013, 4:03 pm

Ah I knew about Rennie, but not Barclay. Is he out the entire series?

Brown, Denton, Beattie would be a very decent backrow. Offering a heck of a lot of carrying capacity, but maybe limited in groundwork? What about Fusaro?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Tue 22 Jan 2013, 4:04 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Pat_Mustard wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think Kellock should be starting anyway. I know Hamilton adds useful bulk to the scrum but I wasn't too impressed with him in November, after hearing about how well he'd been playing for Gloucester. My main memories of him during that series are about being too slow getting to rucks, and when he got there being too knackered to hit them hard enough.

At least he hits them in the first place!!

When Kellock arrives at a ruck he just stares at them in a sort of Uri Gellar style willing the ruck to clear itself or the opposition players to run away so he doesn't have to hit them!

Good point, but I think his lineout skills and leadership (even if not captain) more than make up for that, and hopefully with Grant and Murray propping we will be able to scrummage without Hamilton. Maybe Hamilton to start on Sundays, or to come off the bench if Dickinson does (although I'm hoping Welsh will be fit to be replacement loosehead).

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 22 Jan 2013, 4:10 pm

Thinking about it - does Hamilton actually add that much more in the scrum

Our scrum has been destroyed with and without him - so maybe it is actually a popular myth that he adds that much more

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Tue 22 Jan 2013, 4:11 pm

I don't remember them giving a timescale for either Rennie or Barclay's recovery, although the fact that they, along with a few others, were "Invited to be with the squad as they recover from injury" might suggest the possiblity that they could recover for the latter stages of the tournament? Fusaro is also injured at the moment but he was named as a full member of the squad so I would hope that means he will be back to full fitness soon. If he is fit I would start him against England. Beattie and Denton have also picked up knocks but hopefully nothing too serious.

BACK-row forwards Johnnie Beattie and David Denton were only able to play a limited part in Scotland’s open training session this afternoon after picking up injuries on club duty, the Scottish Rugby Union confirmed.

Beattie, back in the international fold for the first time in 18 months, reported for training with a wrist problem following Montpellier’s Heineken Cup win over Toulon over Saturday

Denton, meanwhile, is suffering from a knee injury having failed a late fitness test ahead of Edinburgh’s weekend clash Saracens.

Scotland team doctor James Robson said of the duo: “Both are progressing in their recovery and will be subject to further assessment this week with a view to being available for consideration for our opening RBS 6 Nations Championship match against England a week on Saturday.”

A number of other Scotland players were also carrying knocks, although Grant Gilchrist (ankle sprain), Tim Visser (foot), Ruaridh Jackson (rib), Sean Lamont (rib), Pat MacArthur (ankle sprain) and Chris Fusaro (groin) were all expected to play some part in training at Scotstoun Stadium today.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 22 Jan 2013, 4:12 pm

I'm not sure when Barclay will be fit to come back, as for Fusaro I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. Especially against England since they don't have a McCaw/Pockock/Rennie/Warburton style turnover specialist.

However it is England's lack of specialist Turnover 7 that would let us play a Backrow of Brown/Denton/Beattie.

I think we'll be seeing a couple of new caps for England in the shape of MacArthur and perhaps Maitland, Seymore, Horne or Dunbar. I wouldn't really want to throw in another new cap in such a high pressure international test, in one of the most hostile enviroment a Scottish player can be capped in.

I reckon whatever backrow combination England play the combination of Beattie, Denton and Brown could handle them. It's every other area of the pitch that would have me concerned, because we are outclassed almost everywhere else.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 22 Jan 2013, 4:17 pm

Agree with all that Radge. Beattie, Denton, Brown certainly provide the muscle to overcome the England backrow, and I think could have the potential to be one of the best backrows of the Six Nations. They certainly could contain a player like Picamoles who always seems to wreak havoc whoever France play. It's against players like Tipuric that they may struggle. He's incredibly quick to the breakdown and fast over the ball. Three bruisers might struggle there.

Anyway, should be interesting OK

I honestly can't wait for the Six Nations to start.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 22 Jan 2013, 4:21 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:

I honestly can't wait for the Six Nations to start.

Ditto....

Just like that Christmas song :

music It's the most wonderful time of the yeeeeeeeeear! music

I guess it's the responsibility of the decent posters from all the nations to post good articles and comments to counter the inevitable of influx of cretins monkey that the 6N brings to the rugby boards. Because the six nations and thr RWC are the only rugby events in the world..... picard
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next