The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How does Floyd sign off?

+9
John Bloody Wayne
thebawwse
Gordy
Rowley
All Time Great
Imperial Ghosty
Seanusarrilius
Herman Jaeger
neilodonnell
13 posters

Go down

How does Floyd sign off? Empty How does Floyd sign off?

Post by neilodonnell Sat 29 Dec 2012, 2:55 pm

Just been thinking, Pretty Boy will be 36 when he fights next in April. How does everyone think he should finish his career - does Alvarez and maybe Martinez sound like the best way to leave the sport in 2013?

Or do people think he might even box on into 2014?

Thanks

Neil

neilodonnell

Back to top Go down

How does Floyd sign off? Empty Re: How does Floyd sign off?

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:21 pm

Well Floyd Snr said recently Floyd Jr could rule the light welter division if he happened to be operating there right now.

So therefore it's not too outlandish is it, as a fan, to ask Floyd to set himself a goal for 20013- a real target, something to really push himself, something physically and mentally demanding? So I propose he boils down to light welter and fights Lucas Matthysse as a swansong.

Won't happen but I can dream can't I! Failing that , for me Floyd beats Martinez easily so I would much prefer to see him with Alvarez. One of these days, Floyd's skills won't be enough to offset his opponent's strength and power! Looking at the Cotto fight makes me think Duran would have tore him a new one but we'll never know. Great little fighter Floyd but I think people get a little carried away sometimes. He's never had a Sweet Pea or a Duran to deal with or anything approaching that.

Last edited by Herman Jaggery on Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:25 pm

Floyd is onthe slide. We saw signs of it v Cotto and the inactivity since won't help. Prob beats up Guerrero in May, won't fight MArtinez ever, or Matthysse. Best we can hope for is massive PPV fight with Canelo so Floyd can make 60-70 mill and retire.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:38 pm

Why would he not fight Matthyse, a lesser fighter than the likes of Guerrero, Cotto and Alvarez, a fight against the Argentine does nothing for him, be it his legacy or his bank balance.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:39 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Floyd is onthe slide. We saw signs of it v Cotto and the inactivity since won't help. Prob beats up Guerrero in May, won't fight MArtinez ever, or Matthysse. Best we can hope for is massive PPV fight with Canelo so Floyd can make 60-70 mill and retire.

It's still a bit too early to assume Floyd is on the slide as he's not a bonified 154lber. We've seen him also struggle at this weight vs. De La Hoya in 2007.

Having said that it's got to end for him one day as he's now well into the twilight years of his career. It would sad to see him to still be fighting in his 40s. I would like him to go out on a mega PPV fight vs. a Canelo/ Martinez where a loss on his record could well be a possibility.

Therefore, Guerrero, Canelo and if coming through those one last fight. Perhaps against Pacquiao, if he can string of impressive performances together, that would probably cement his legacy as one of the best fighters of all time.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:44 pm

Don't see him venturing to 154 again, DLH made sense as he had gone through the weights himself, was getting on a bit and obviously bought the huge PPV audience so made sense in a lot of ways. Cotto likewise was showing signs of having seen better days. Alvarez is a guy only likely to get better, given Guerrero appears a done deal for May irrespective of what he says Floyd will not be in action much before 2014, struggle to see him letting Alvarez have another 15 months of fights experience and improvement.

He'll beat Guerrero and then wait to see who is flavour of the month at welter and take on them, pretty much par for the course.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:45 pm

Nothing with that though Jeff, he does tend to take on a good challenge every time he fights so can get away with a bit of inactivity unlike the majority of boxers (yes you Mr Haye).

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:46 pm

' a lesser fighter than Guerrero, Cotto and Alvarez '

Bit early in the day to be making sweeping statements like that isn't it? Glad to see you've lost none of your hallmark charm ghost. Bet you're a one with the ladies.

For me, boiling down at this stage of his career and fighting the Argentine is something that would impress me greatly. And I'll even say more of a challenge than Guerrero.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:50 pm

Herman Jaggery wrote:Well Floyd Snr said recently Floyd Jr could rule the light welter division if he happened to be operating there right now.

So therefore it's not too outlandish is it, as a fan, to ask Floyd to set himself a goal for 20013- a real target, something to really push himself, something physically and mentally demanding? So I propose he boils down to light welter and fights Lucas Matthysse as a swansong.

Won't happen but I can dream can't I! Failing that , for me Floyd beats Martinez easily so I would much prefer to see him with Alvarez. One of these days, Floyd's skills won't be enough to offset his opponent's strength and power! Looking at the Cotto fight makes me think Duran would have tore him a new one but we'll never know. Great little fighter Floyd but I think people get a little carried away sometimes. He's never had a Sweet Pea or a Duran to deal with or anything approaching that.

Spot on! Ive always said Mayweather is good but overrated. He never had to fight really great fighter like Hearns, Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard and Sugar Ray Robinson did.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:51 pm

Herman Jaggery wrote:' a lesser fighter than Guerrero, Cotto and Alvarez '

Bit early in the day to be making sweeping statements like that isn't it? Glad to see you've lost none of your hallmark charm ghost. Bet you're a one with the ladies.

For me, boiling down at this stage of his career and fighting the Argentine is something that would impress me greatly. And I'll even say more of a challenge than Guerrero.

Matthysse is fast becoming one of the most overrated fighters in boxing. If Khan could learn not to go to war, that would be a one sided beat down. I could only imagine Mayweather scoring a one sided victory as well

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:55 pm

Matthyse at 140lbs or Guerrero at any weight? I think the man in the p4p top ten would be the more challenging and risky fight especially considering his superior skillset and proven durability at 147lbs.

Cotto or Alvarez at 154lbs or Matthyse at 140lbs, again Floyd gives up a lot of weight at the higher weight as well as the fact they both punch significantly harder because of the 14lb difference.

Matthyse gets a lot of credit for doing not a lot, he lost close fights to Judah and Alexander where he was by no means robbed, beat up the small but skilled Soto and did quite well against the unproven Olesugen. He's good but he's not going to be on Mayweathers radar with a record like that.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:56 pm

Khan to beat Matthysee !

haha I've seen it all now!

He wouldn't beat him if they boxed a thouasnd times. Nothing against the kid though, who put in a mature performance in his last fight.

Last edited by Herman Jaggery on Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by thebawwse Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:57 pm

in style most probably...

thebawwse

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 29 Dec 2012, 4:03 pm

Gordy you are clueless.

Genaro Hernandez down at super featherweight was a great fighter who was on the receiving end of a one sided masterclass by a 20 year old fighter with only 17 pro fights to his name.

Then you have his 10 round destruction of the then very highly rated Diego Corrales, a fight where he was giving up a lot of physical advantages. Much like his fight with the then much vaunted Ricky Hatton.

Granted he got away with highway robbery against Castillo first time out but set the record straight immediately with a convincing if not entirely comfortable victory second time round.

Then you have De La Hoya, Mosley, Cotto and Marquez, you can say this and that about their ages and weight issues but they are all great boxers, those wins stand up to Durans over the likes of Palomino and Cuevas quite easily.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat 29 Dec 2012, 4:21 pm

Herman Jaggery wrote:Khan to beat Matthysee !

haha I've seen it all now!

He wouldn't beat him if they boxed a thouasnd times. Nothing against the kid though, who put in a mature performance in his last fight.

You really believe that? I think you probably need to have a look at their respective records. Matthysse will most likely outgun most crude swingers, but he has been on the end of close defeats to two men who I would consider Khan would beat in Judah and Alexander.

Having said that, if Khan was to get in a war he would of course most likely lose. But if Khan was to box as opposed to going to war, he'd win 9 times out of 10.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by thebawwse Sat 29 Dec 2012, 4:24 pm

Chill guys, well done for knowing so much, I'm sure this warms the cockles of your heart and puts mad amounts of food on your table reminiscent of the last supper...

the fact is, we don't know what he is going to do until it is arranged or happens...I don't believe he will do anything outside of what he is doing now...he will sell regardless and will go down as one of the greatest ever. Time is kind, if people can look on Barry McGuigan with such reverence when he wasn't that special is testament to this...

Finally...all this arguing guys, bit pointless, anyone can become an expert at something depending on the time they put into their chosen subject so calling each other clueless or stupid is dumb...no one knows everything...2013 peace and unity

thebawwse

Back to top Go down

Post by thebawwse Sat 29 Dec 2012, 4:26 pm

even nicky piper is given ultra respect when he hot steps through a boxing hall and this is a dude who got punched out of the ring once...dang

thebawwse

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Dec 2012, 5:27 pm

How do we think he'd react to a loss at this stage?

Say, the Canelo fight happens and he loses by buying caught with a shot despite outboxing him until that point. Would he want to come back?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Dec 2012, 5:28 pm

And importantly, if he lost and left, would that tarnish his reputation?

I have a feeling that he would be looked down upon if he didn't attempt redemption.

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 29 Dec 2012, 8:34 pm

Although I don't think Mathysse has done anything like enough to warrant a Mayweather pay day, he actually beat two safety first boxer types in Alexander and Judah and has improved since then.

If I had to guess I'd say he takes on Guerrero next, while Pacquiao puts in some redemptive performances, looking good enough (while Mayweather maybe looks like he's slipped enough) to warrant them both retiring having finally settled it.

The 0 is too important to him to go in against someone like Canelo. Although Canelo's sometimes lackadaisical style would play into Floyd's hands.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 29 Dec 2012, 8:46 pm

I think he'll fight both Guerrero and Alvarez next year before calling it a day.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Sat 29 Dec 2012, 10:56 pm

If he beats both guerrero and alveraz then id have no issue with him retiring. I dont think he needs to fight martinez, the guys far to heavy for floyd!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 29 Dec 2012, 11:50 pm

Well I don't expect him to fight in 2014 (36 in February this year so 37 by may 2014) so he will want to close off with a bigger name than Guerrero (no disrespect to robert)

All roads point towards Guerrero for his May 5th date although nothing has been confirmed. Listening to reports, Adrien Broner AND Saul Alvarez will be on the undercard and at this point in their careers they are both headliners (not PPV yet. That puts some serious numbers behind this card with Alvarez likely to face Cotto and Broner hoping to fight Burns.

Cotto-Mayweather managed to rake in 1.5 million viewers, and while Guerrero isn't as big a name as Cotto their undercard had canelo-mosley and little else. Even after the Trout loss Cotto is a big enough name still to hold a PPV card, and a Canelo-Cotto would do big numbers on its own.

Providing he beats Guerrero which he should, it paves way for a huge september fight with Alvarez if he should win his fight. Viewers will ignore the Trout loss so if Canelo stops the man who pushed floyd hard a year ago, then there will be major buzz about that fight which could break the Mayweather-De La Hoya numbers

Floyd is the biggest name in the sport by far, and those who aren't hardcore fans they will think that Floyd could really lose his '0' which will attracts both fans and haters. Canelo is young, undefeated and will be a household name by then. He has the entire mexican public behind him and is a hero there and as big a star as anyone.

If Canelo loses then its a different story but I cant see a Martinez/ Pacquiao/ Marquez fight for various reasons so its hard to see where he goes on from there

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by neilodonnell Sun 30 Dec 2012, 1:04 pm

Is a fight with Khan a definite no no now?

neilodonnell

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sun 30 Dec 2012, 2:25 pm

neilodonnell wrote:Is a fight with Khan a definite no no now?

Unlikely due to timescales. Khan hasn't fought at 147lbs, and will need to go on a winning streak consisting of Danny Garcia, then a real name at 147lbs before Mayweather considers looking at him. However, by then Mayweather would of most likely retired by then.

I do believe Khan would be a very tough opponent for Mayweather though. His handspeed and output is something we've not seen Mayweather face before (maybe this was the reason for the clamour of a Pacquiao Mayweather fight).

I feel Khan's biggest fight will be a domestic battle against Kel Brook in 2015 if they both can remain undefeated until then. All ifs and buts though

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 30 Dec 2012, 3:06 pm

Can't see Mayweather taking on a massive risk at this stage of his career. Guerrero while a very good fighter is small at Welterweight, and will get countered all night long.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShockmasterV2 Sun 30 Dec 2012, 3:28 pm

Just out of curiosity... If he did fight Alvarez in September next year, what does everyone make of Canelo's chances? PBF will be 36 and we all know Canelo will only get better over time. I personally believe Canelo is wrongly criticised on this board and think he really is a talented boxer. If they did square off, what would a defeat for Floyd do to his legacy?
ShockmasterV2
ShockmasterV2

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 30 Dec 2012, 3:32 pm

Like you SM I like Canenlo, he's young with bags off experience and will only get better. If they fought next September and Canelo won, it split fans. Some will say he best Mayweather when he was well past his best, some will say Canelo is the next big thing.

Personally I think it would be a mixture of the two.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShockmasterV2 Sun 30 Dec 2012, 4:01 pm

At the minute with a few of the old guard nearing the end of their careers the sport is crying out for the next big thing. I think Broner has it, i think Canelo has it. Has there ever been a time where the young gun beat the old guard and carried on the sort of legacy the former had? (If that makes sense).
ShockmasterV2
ShockmasterV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down