The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mubadala World Tennis Championships

+3
LuvSports!
Danny_1982
hawkeye
7 posters

Go down

Mubadala World Tennis Championships Empty Mubadala World Tennis Championships

Post by hawkeye Sat 29 Dec 2012, 11:03 pm

The big name "World Tennis Championships" took place this week without the biggest name... sigh. Almagro was brought in as a last minute replacement. Did anyone watch? I managed to catch two matches. The Djokovic/Ferrer semi and todays final between Djokovic and Almagro.

Murray must have gone out early. I presume he considers himself too important to play exhibitions now? I wonder if anyone has explained to him what they are. I'm sure I will be accused of being mean but I do always wonder if he realizes he is in the entertainment business. However I didn't watch so maybe I have judged it all wrong?

The commentators were talking about how good Ferrer had been in his previous match were he had an easy win over Berdych. In the semi he was totally out played by Djokovic though. Some match ups that on paper might appear tough don't live up to expectations.

The final was great fun to watch. Both Almagro and Djokovic will have won some fans. Djokovic won in three tight sets. IMO it was Almagro who produced the best tennis. Scary but beautiful backhand that he appears to be able to send down the line as easily as crosscourt. He hit some wonderful winners. But predictably he lost his serve when serving to stay in the match at 4-5 in the third set throwing in a few double faults... It was all played in good humor though and both players played up to the crowd and put on a show. Almagro may have come in as a replacement but I wouldn't be surprised if they asked him back.

Did notice something different about Djokovic. His forehand looks like he has re-modeled it on Nadals. A big lasoo type motion. He kept hitting it into the net but maybe it's a work in progress?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Mubadala World Tennis Championships Empty Re: Mubadala World Tennis Championships

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 29 Dec 2012, 11:56 pm

Judging Murray's attitude in a tournament when you didn't watch him, don't know how he lost or even who he played.

Brilliant analysis.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Mubadala World Tennis Championships Empty Re: Mubadala World Tennis Championships

Post by LuvSports! Sun 30 Dec 2012, 12:27 am

another awful article, please stop!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 30 Dec 2012, 9:02 am

LuvSports. If you would prefer to carry on reading about Rafa not playing tennis there are plenty of articles that will keep you happy. I thought just one on the tennis that was actually played this week may have been of interest.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 30 Dec 2012, 9:27 am

Yes hawkeye but this just mirrors those other threads as in a chance to have a pot shot at one of the best players in the world at the moment.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 30 Dec 2012, 9:28 am

you know exactly what i meant and what part of the article i am referring to.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Sun 30 Dec 2012, 9:49 am

he

Try just sticking to your normal "cut & paste" articles where some people actually know something about the game, then you won't get ridiculed as normally happens.

However I think you just love it, bet you are a bit of a masochist eh!

As for Murray being an entertainer and Djoko getting that forehand sorted out - they must try harder, then both might win something and pick up a dollar or two lol

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 30 Dec 2012, 9:58 am

Good article HE thumbsup

Just disagree with a few points, I don't think one can criticise Murray for not taking exhibitions too seriously. Remember last year both Federer and Nadal lost at their first opportunity, they barely took it seriously as well.

Interesting take on Djokovic's variation in forehand- I didn't watch these matches but Ill look out for that thumbsup

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 30 Dec 2012, 10:12 am

sportlover

I take it you didn't watch? Djokovic was using a very different forehand. He was using an action similar to Nadal's exaggerated whip. The commentators also talked about it. There was nothing wrong with his forehand but it looks like during the off season he may have decided to change it. Why?

Maybe you are more interested in gossip than discussing technical aspects of the game? That's why I put in the bit about Murray not knowing how to be an entertainer. Although I did admit that I didn't watch. Maybe someone that did can prove me wrong? For all I know his match was the highlight of the exhibition?

I also thought Almagro's performance was excellent. Taking control of points, hitting some really beautiful backhands and his serve is nothing to be ashamed of either. Shows how some players have all the technical skills but not perhaps the ability to deal with pressure. The final was great fun to watch as both Almagro and Djokovic Know how to please a crowd.

Sorry if all that in one article wasn't entertaining enough for you...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 30 Dec 2012, 10:26 am

Just watched a bit of the final. Very relaxing match. Djoker could have stepped it up at any time. Not like the Murray-Nadal match a few years back which was a contender for match of the year.

Odd article though. Sounds like the OP has never seen Almagro play before Erm and why comment on something you didn't even see?

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 30 Dec 2012, 10:28 am

It Must Be Love wrote:Good article HE thumbsup

Just disagree with a few points, I don't think one can criticise Murray for not taking exhibitions too seriously. Remember last year both Federer and Nadal lost at their first opportunity, they barely took it seriously as well.

Roger and Rafa didn't take it seriously and went out straight away last year? What is wrong with them? Don't they know they're in the entertainment business? Who do they think they are? Out of order!

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Dec 2012, 2:06 pm

Being an exho the top guys can just try stuff out and see how it works, it's also a chance to try and shake off the rust and get ready again. Djokos new forehand might just be trying something out.

Someone losing doesn't mean they don't care or think they're too important for them. He could have... I don't know... just lost? It is the first match back after all. In real life people lose all the time just cos they do, it reflects nothing on their character. Murray actually turned up to the exho, soo he clearly cared enough to try.

In fact judging the character of anyone you've never met, or know, never mind just on how they play, is something young people do, most people would never presume to know Federer or Nadal just on their press interviews.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down