The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ROY JONES JUNIOR VERSUS................

+27
AlexHuckerby
TheMackemMawler
Qoxiivi
eddyfightfan
TRUSSMAN66
Gordy
ShahenshahG
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
Lance
bhb001
Seanusarrilius
rob-glos
sodhat
ONETWOFOREVER
Mr Bounce
jimdig
captain carrantuohil
davidemore
manos de piedra
Lumbering_Jack
spencerclarke
88Chris05
jimmy glitter pants
Pedro147
superflyweight
Rowley
seanmichaels
31 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ROY JONES JUNIOR VERSUS................ Empty ROY JONES JUNIOR VERSUS................

Post by seanmichaels Tue 15 Jan 2013, 12:44 pm

Steve 'The Celtic Warrior' Colins. Late April, early May at 190lbs

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

ROY JONES JUNIOR VERSUS................ Empty Re: ROY JONES JUNIOR VERSUS................

Post by Rowley Tue 15 Jan 2013, 12:46 pm

Is this a fantasy fight or one that is actually happening Sean, if it is the latter is amongst one of the most depressing things I have ever read on here.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

ROY JONES JUNIOR VERSUS................ Empty Re: ROY JONES JUNIOR VERSUS................

Post by seanmichaels Tue 15 Jan 2013, 12:46 pm

From the horses mouth.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 15 Jan 2013, 12:46 pm

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/boxing/130115/exclusive-steve-collins-set-sensational-ring-return-against-roy-jones-jr-189302

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 15 Jan 2013, 12:47 pm

I hope that horse had been drinking and was on the wind-up, sean.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 12:48 pm

Here's a newspaper report from when the spat started in December:

Former world champion Steve Collins has issued a challenge to American legend Roy Jones Jr to get in the ring for a once-off showdown – 18 years after he won the world title.

Now 48, Collins has called out Jones for the fight that just never happened when the two were at the height of their powers.

Collins said: “Roy Jones avoided me when I was at my best, he is fooling himself if he thinks it is safe to mouth off now.

“If Roy Jones thinks that I have gone soft being out of the ring so long he is making a big mistake. Jones has a big mouth, if he has a promoter willing to put it on then call me. I am calling his bluff.”

Jones retorted: “To say I am a coward you have got to be crazy. I ain’t never saying no to fighting him. I never ran from nobody, we can get it on right now. I can’t wait.

“In the right situation I would come to Ireland or the UK.”

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/sport/World-champion-boxer-Steve-Collins-challenges-Roy-Jones-Jr-to-showdown-183394871.html#ixzz2I31mc4uw
Follow us: @IrishCentral on Twitter | IrishCentral on Facebook

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmy glitter pants Tue 15 Jan 2013, 12:51 pm

This is very sad news Sad he must be on the bones of his arnus

jimmy glitter pants

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 12:58 pm

To call this 'pathetic' would, in fact, be an insult to pathetic things.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 15 Jan 2013, 12:58 pm

Agreed with all the comments above. A sad fight that hopefully wont get sanctioned.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:07 pm

Id still watch it.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:13 pm

Sounds like Collins is more up for an organised street fight.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:15 pm

This must not happen.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:18 pm

You're from Newcastle, Jack. Saturday night punch-ups between hen parties draw a crowd up in your neck of the woods!

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:20 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Id still watch it.

Don't really see the problem either. Boxing doesn't really have any integrity, nor a reputation to uphold. Just 2 guys having a tear up and making a bit of money.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:40 pm

Who doesn't like a good scrap though. I agree with Sean. Both are adults and if they wanna scrap then let them. Might be entertaining, if a little lacking in skill.

Some of the best fights you see are between 2 drunken chav's. Makes for great viewing.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:46 pm

Here's what Steve has had to say..

Former world super-middleweight champion Steve Collins has announced that he's coming out of retirement to fight Roy Jones Jr.

The 48-year-old, who retired back in 1997, made the announcement on TalkSport radio this afternoon and said he has accepted the challenge of Jones Jr to fight. He says all that needs to be sorted out is the right promoter to put the payday together.

Collins always wanted a shot at Jones Jr back in the 1990s when the former Olympic silver medallist was considered by most to be the world’s best pound-for-pound boxer, but the fight never materialised.

The Celtic Warrior said that he would be ready to fight in between 10 and 12 weeks, and that his brother Pascal would take-on the role as trainer.

“I was very happy with my career, but the one fight I wanted was Roy Jones, and when that didn’t happen I retired. To me he was afraid of me. I don’t think he’s a coward, but at the time he was!"

Collins is having his medical, including a brain-scan, next week and hopes the fight will happen at the end of April or in May, most likely in a big UK venue - but he did not rule out Dublin.

"This is still a match. We’re the same generation. I wouldn’t even consider fighting as guy 15 or 20 years younger than me, because that’s not a match.

"But we’re the same age and this is a fair match. It won’t be any different to how it would have been 15 years ago."

The fighter also told Keys and Gray on TalkSport that the fight will not go ahead unless he passes all medical tests.

“It’s not a comeback as such, at my age I’m too old for that, but it will be the end of a 15-year grudge."

"If I don’t get a 100% pass form the doctors, then forget it."

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:59 pm

Wow. I wish Roy would retire. He'd fight absolutely anybody for a pay day. Collins spent 3 years chasing this fight. He should know better at 48.
Winner to fight hagler.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:01 pm

Too tough a match-up, jimdig. Winner gets Stanley Ketchel.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:08 pm

The sad thing is, I would expect Hagler or Ketchel to win... Whistle

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:09 pm

I'm watching this one with blinkers and a pillow and 999 on speed dial.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:11 pm

Jones was a great fighter but a terrible champion as he never excelled in my opinion. Calzaghe, Collins, Eubanks, and Benn fights could have all been made at some point in the past and Jones was the only one who had the marque aura to get these fights made.

Also he would not fight that Polish/German geezer whos name is something like Darichiauz or something.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:18 pm

davidemore wrote:I'm watching this one with blinkers and a pillow and 999 on speed dial.

To be fair, you could probably dial 999 pretty quickly without the need to resort to speed dial.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:20 pm

A blink of an eye can change a fight.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:21 pm

The idea of this fight makes me feel a bit queasy.

This is worse than Rocky 6....
It's like Rocky vs Rocky.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:22 pm

He excelled enough to spend a whole decade ranked as arguably the tip-top pound for pound fighter in the sport, OneTwo, so perhaps you need to be a little easier to please!

Of course, as Coxy and Gordy liked to remind us, Eubank saying that he never had any intention of facing Jones if he could help it and Calzaghe, when asked about a potential fight before Jones became a shell, saying "I know my limits and I wouldn't want to risk it, unless they paid me the crown jewels" are both conclusive proof that Jones was scared witless of the pair and shamefully ducked both of them.

I think a Super-Middleweight showdown with Benn around the time of 1995 would have done Jones' reputation this side of the pond a world of good. Certainly would have helped put to bed all of this nonsense about him 'avoiding' the British / Irish Super-Middles of the time, and would have quashed the idea that he was always an accident waiting to happen against a puncher or ultra-aggressive operator.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:28 pm

rob-glos wrote:The idea of this fight makes me feel a bit queasy.

This is worse than Rocky 6....
It's like Rocky vs Rocky.

Probably more like the street fight in Rocky 5 if Collins has way

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:29 pm

holy mother of god. NO!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:31 pm

88Chris05 wrote:He excelled enough to spend a whole decade ranked as arguably the tip-top pound for pound fighter in the sport, OneTwo, so perhaps you need to be a little easier to please!

Of course, as Coxy and Gordy liked to remind us, Eubank saying that he never had any intention of facing Jones if he could help it and Calzaghe, when asked about a potential fight before Jones became a shell, saying "I know my limits and I wouldn't want to risk it, unless they paid me the crown jewels" are both conclusive proof that Jones was scared witless of the pair and shamefully ducked both of them.

I think a Super-Middleweight showdown with Benn around the time of 1995 would have done Jones' reputation this side of the pond a world of good. Certainly would have helped put to bed all of this nonsense about him 'avoiding' the British / Irish Super-Middles of the time, and would have quashed the idea that he was always an accident waiting to happen against a puncher or ultra-aggressive operator.

Agreed, Chris. The idea of Jones in the 90s being frightened of fighting anybody from over here is laughable. The UK lot were too busy fighting between ourselves and making a lot of money out of it to risk taking on Jones. Still, gave us some cracking fights!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:53 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
Also he would not fight that Polish/German geezer whos name is something like Darichiauz or something.

Darius Michalowski........

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 15 Jan 2013, 2:55 pm

i keep expecting someone to say this is a wind up? if theywere fighting 3 rounds for charity or something you could understand it, but its just too old blokes desparate for money and glory. a bit sad jones has come to this

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 15 Jan 2013, 3:02 pm

Cleverly's just announced Hopkins, Jones and Collins are all ducking him...

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 3:04 pm

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake wrote:Cleverly's just announced Hopkins, Jones and Collins are all ducking him...

Apparently a duck is ducking him as well Shocked

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 15 Jan 2013, 3:15 pm

bhb001 wrote:
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake wrote:Cleverly's just announced Hopkins, Jones and Collins are all ducking him...

The journalists in that presser yesterday were ducking him. Nobody wanted to ask him anything

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 6:37 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
bhb001 wrote:

The journalists in that presser yesterday were ducking him. Nobody wanted to ask him anything

laughing

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 15 Jan 2013, 7:14 pm

Steffan goes on archaeology dig - absent from board - Cleverly has no opponent
Same day Cleverly gets Opponent: Steffan returns to the board from Archaeology dig.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Tue 15 Jan 2013, 7:32 pm

I cant believe this is actually going ahead but Collins to win if it happens. Hes too tough for Roy Jones who is overrated.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 8:45 pm

In Boston we call it a bachelorette party............

Where the heck does "hen" come from...

Do you sacrifice feathered birds at these things??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 15 Jan 2013, 8:53 pm

The same origin as "hen-pecked", I believe, Truss. A not-especially-complimentary old word for the fairer sex.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 8:57 pm

The beauties of the English language never fail to impress me!!!

I fancy a game of Croquet now!! Cool

Thanks for the summary...

Another thing that struck me over here when I came here was...Everybody shouting "Alright" at you.....

Why is he telling me he's alright when I don't know him......

Cultural stuff........Can't help If I'm from a backward nation!! Sad

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:03 pm

at least its not some hungery young top prospect that will be pounding on roys head this time. hows jones for money cos id have expected him to have millions, i cant see any reason to carry on otherwise.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:08 pm

How many times has he been married????

Because my Wife might have the same problem as Roy If I decide to feast on some young prospect!!!

If only!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:32 pm

By the way truss where in the state's are you from? Have you been to Vegas for the boxing before. I've been to Vegas but not for the boxing. I would like to go back there maybe to the mgm grand.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:42 pm

Never been to Vegas................unfortunately..My Brother has!

I'm from Roxbury it's in Boston but don't hold that against me...

We generally holidayed on the Pacific coast when I was young.........went to California a lot......

Been to Florida a couple of times.....

Joanne tends to go on holiday with her Mother...her Father has a big villa in Spain and an apartment in Brussels...

I tend only to go to home at Christmas time and she and the kids tend to come too....

which is a shame.. Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:43 pm

Is this for the WBC Lower-Cruiserweight Bronze World Championship belt (amethyst edition)?

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:48 pm

I've been to the state's twice the first time was to new York. I went to msg but just for a tour rather than a fight. Second time I started at Vegas then headed to California. I was in L.A. when the Rhodes v Alvarez fight was being shown from Mexico. I went everywhere trying to find a pub with it on with no luck. Only to find I on in the hotel. I loved my time over there and would love to go back finances permitting!

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:49 pm

spencerclarke wrote:By the way truss where in the state's are you from? Have you been to Vegas for the boxing before. I've been to Vegas but not for the boxing. I would like to go back there maybe to the mgm grand.

Spencer I went over for Hatton Mayweather, going to Vegas for a big fight is something I would definitely recommend, that fight was at the MGM Grand and the atmosphere on the day of the fight is something you will not forget in a hurry, also tends to be loads of boxers kicking around who tend to be very approachable.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:51 pm

Cheers Jeff. A few of my mate's went at the time and got photos with Roy Jones Jr and Mayweather snr. I think it's the ultimate as a boxing fan. It wouldn't even bother me to a certain extend who was fighting

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:55 pm

spencerclarke wrote: I think it's the ultimate as a boxing fan. It wouldn't even bother me to a certain extend who was fighting

Agree mate, me and the missus are planning to go back in the next couple of years and whilst the Hatton fight was great have said we'll probably go to something a bit more obscure or for the hardcore fans because whilst 30,000 brits being in Vegas at the same time was an experience that experience was a bit stag weekend in Amsterdam on occasions.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:02 pm

Haha I can imagine. I was in Nottingham last year on a stag do when froch was fighting Bute.But I was the only one interested in boxing. We went to the test match against Windies then round town afterwards. I managed to watch the Frampton fight which was a bit of a bore to be honest then I got dragged to a club. I would have loved to have been in that atmosphere. I sulked for ages afterwards!

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Where the heck does "hen" come from...

Them chicks lay eggs
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next