The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Puma pulls plug on Ireland shirt sponsorship - a year early

+13
Mickado
rainbow-warrior
maestegmafia
neilthom7
Notch
Morgannwg
UlstermaninGlasgow
yappysnap
whocares
bluestonevedder
Kingshu
Bathman_in_London
brennomac
17 posters

Go down

Puma pulls plug on Ireland shirt sponsorship - a year early Empty Puma pulls plug on Ireland shirt sponsorship - a year early

Post by brennomac Thu 24 Jan - 14:34

Irish Times report - http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2013/0124/1224329239698.html - says Puma pulling plug on Ireland shirt sponsorship a year early for "strategic" reasons. Deal was in 4th year out of 5 and means IRFU have to find new sponsor by time November internationals come around.

Presume it's because enough people had the common sense not be persuaded to spend 80-90 smackers on the shirts. Still leaves the IRFU in a bit hole and in a weakened negotiating position for a replacement sponsor

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Puma pulls plug on Ireland shirt sponsorship - a year early Empty Re: Puma pulls plug on Ireland shirt sponsorship - a year early

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu 24 Jan - 14:58

http://www.canterbury.com/blog/2013/01/media-statement-regarding-conclusion-of-canterbury-and-scottish-rugby-partnership/

Interestingly Canterbury have just announced they won't making the Scottish shirts anymore either.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Puma pulls plug on Ireland shirt sponsorship - a year early Empty Re: Puma pulls plug on Ireland shirt sponsorship - a year early

Post by Kingshu Thu 24 Jan - 15:54

Hopefully we will see thinks like shirt and ticket prices come down, there isn't the same amount of disposable income there was a few years back, and prices will have to come down to match that.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 24 Jan - 15:57

That's a bit of a shame. I thought Puma were doing a good job with the Irish kits.

The black one I especially like.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 24 Jan - 16:16

Canterbury wasnt exactly doing a great job with the Scottish one though !

http://bloodandmud.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/12/scotland_kit.jpg

the earlier one with the purple stripes wasnt great as well.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 24 Jan - 16:34

whocares wrote:Canterbury wasnt exactly doing a great job with the Scottish one though !

http://bloodandmud.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/12/scotland_kit.jpg

the earlier one with the purple stripes wasnt great as well.

Yeh, that's not great.

I haven't been too impressed with Canterbury to be honest, although I think the current England kit is very nice, mainly because it's simple and sticks to the old design.

One make I do really like is Under Armour.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 24 Jan - 17:18

Canterbury are just massively lazy, they take one design, change the colours and then relabel it as a different teams kit.

As mentioned hopefully these changes will mean that shirt prices are reduced. Although I still do see plenty of people wearing the latest shirts at England games so it can't be too pricey for some.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Thu 24 Jan - 17:32

Could we see Ireland going for an Irish brand? O'Neills do a very nice rugby strip and they could use a big backer like the IRFU?
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 24 Jan - 17:33

O'Neils do Quins kit at the mo and it's been going well so far. Quality seems good as well.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 24 Jan - 17:44

Just saw this re Scotlands kit as well:

The Scottish Rugby Union has ended its association with Canterbury and has signed a deal with Italian kit manufacturers Macron. The Bologna-based company will supply Scotland's home and away kits, from the 2013 autumn internationals, as well as club sides Edinburgh and Glasgow's strips.

"Macron are a hugely ambitious company and very strong in football. But the thing that clinched it for us it that they want to make Scotland their flagship brand in the rugby market," SRU chief executive Mark Dodson said. "They share our values and want to globalise the brand. This is a multi-million pound deal - the largest in the SRU's history - over four years, so we are delighted."

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 24 Jan - 17:49

Scotland, did well out of it, looks like they got a better deal, hopefully Glasgow can get sponsorship to put on the front of thiers.

For IRFU i would like to see O'Neils make it, they are moving into the Rugby market

looks like they used to make the kits. O'Neills has a long relationship with Irish rugby, football and Gaelic Athletic Association and for many years was the exclusive supplier to all three associations

But in professional age and moving onto a big team like Harlequins F.C. maybe Ireland wouldn't intrest them, as they are already a big brand in Ireland, if they got more Aviva teams it would boost there profile in England.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Thu 24 Jan - 18:06

Glasgow didn't have a main sponsor as they were holding out for too much money. I think that next year it's likely to be one of the current sponsors, most likely Grouse or Glasgow Airport...

I think O'Neills would relish the chance to make Ireland's kit again. They haven't been involved in the pro era and it would put them on the international level... As big as Quins are, Ireland are bigger!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 24 Jan - 18:38

Under-Armour seems to be growin in Europe. Wonder if they're doing anything different to the rest?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 24 Jan - 19:19

Kukri have done a good job with Ulster, maybe they don't have the infrastructure to support the demand the way a big brand like Puma or Canterbury do though/
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jan - 22:07

I remember seeing recently (ish) that the UK arm of Canterbury had gone bust. Can anyone confirm? Didn't stop them doing a few team's kits this year, and still going strong as a company in NZ I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu 24 Jan - 22:51

Rugby kits are quite ridiculous in price in my opinion you couldn't afford to buy all the new ones they have these day. Kukri or O'Neills would be good but I shall withold any judgement on whoever is got until i see the kits

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 25 Jan - 6:12

My initial thought readi g the title was "why are Ireland training in Argetntina."

There are loads of new to rugby sportswear companies dying to get a contract like the Irish team.

If not maybe the IRB will play the role of a sadistic sports master and make you play in skins...?

I know my wife would like that a great deal.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 25 Jan - 8:17

Griff wrote:I remember seeing recently (ish) that the UK arm of Canterbury had gone bust. Can anyone confirm? Didn't stop them doing a few team's kits this year, and still going strong as a company in NZ I think.

I recall just a few years ago they were turning to custard in NZ too. Agree they are lazy, every season same design just different colours. Shame their local team could not support them now they have a shirt sponsor.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 25 Jan - 8:34

O'Neills would be great.

Not technically "Made in Ireland" but at least the money would be going to an Irish company. Why not. Didn't realise they made the Quins shirts till Yappy mentioned it. I know they used to make the Romanian jerseys at some stage too.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Fri 25 Jan - 8:41

Griff wrote:I remember seeing recently (ish) that the UK arm of Canterbury had gone bust. Can anyone confirm? Didn't stop them doing a few team's kits this year, and still going strong as a company in NZ I think.

That would be a shame as they tend to make much tougher wearing gear than most of the manufacturers. Their prices are steep though, and that can't be doing them any favours.

My Mrs picked me up a test top for christmas and the quality is exceptionally good, but at 80+ quid a throw considering most peoples money situation at the moment, that is quite eye-watering.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 25 Jan - 11:29

AlastairW wrote:

That would be a shame as they tend to make much tougher wearing gear than most of the manufacturers. Their prices are steep though, and that can't be doing them any favours.

My Mrs picked me up a test top for christmas and the quality is exceptionally good, but at 80+ quid a throw considering most peoples money situation at the moment, that is quite eye-watering.

That was a while ago (2009). Given that they could afford to pay for the England deal last year, and England have the 2nd richest shirt deal in rugby after the All Blacks things are presumably looking up.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 25 Jan - 11:36

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
AlastairW wrote:

That was a while ago (2009). Given that they could afford to pay for the England deal last year, and England have the 2nd richest shirt deal in rugby after the All Blacks things are presumably looking up.

Really?? Evidence would be nice Whistle
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 25 Jan - 11:54

If they get stuck they could always borrow the unused England grand slam ones and dye them green. We are always here for you in a financial crisis

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 25 Jan - 14:31

rainbow-warrior wrote:
Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
AlastairW wrote:

Really?? Evidence would be nice Whistle

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/7810675/Senior-All-Blacks-help-cut-logo-down-to-size
NZRU chief executive Steve Tew wouldn't reveal how much the AIG deal was worth but said it was close to the money they get from Adidas. This is believed to be about $20 million a year.

"From the best information that we can gather, the Adidas deal is the biggest rugby deal in the world," said Tew.

"The money Australia get from Kooga and Qantas combined or England get from O2 and Canterbury combined is less than we get just from Adidas.

"We have been able to bring AIG on and retain the Adidas income and got close to getting a similar amount of money

Granted it's a Teflon Tew quote, but the $20m per year Adidas figure is consistent with the NZRU annual accounts. The 6N countries make a lot more money via TV rights than the NZRU does, but the jersey is another story

Last edited by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Fri 25 Jan - 14:44; edited 1 time in total
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Toohey Fri 25 Jan - 14:39

Canterbury has been brought out recently by a UK company I know quite well called Pentland. They have a pretty strong history of developing brands (Reebok, Kickers, Berghous, Lacoste, Ted Baker) so I imagine they are in fairly good hands.

Toohey

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 25 Jan - 16:29

Toohey wrote:

Canterbury has been brought out recently by a UK company I know quite well called Pentland. They have a pretty strong history of developing brands (Reebok, Kickers, Berghous, Lacoste, Ted Baker) so I imagine they are in fairly good hands.

Yup seeing that the firm has been "Made in China" for years Whistle
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down