The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fury looking at Cunningham.

+12
AlexHuckerby
eddyfightfan
TopHat24/7
hogey
hazharrison
WelshDevilRob
BoxingFan88
ShahenshahG
Gay Henry
azania
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
hampo17
16 posters

Go down

Fury looking at Cunningham. Empty Fury looking at Cunningham.

Post by hampo17 Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:52 pm

Seems a few different sources report that Tyson Fury is looking at Cunningham for this April 20th date in New York. Cunningham will come to win no doubt but with Furys height and reach advantage I can see it being a jabfest.

Cunninghams record isn't exactly brilliant either, lost all his big fights although he was robbed against Adamek last time.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Fury looking at Cunningham. Empty Re: Fury looking at Cunningham.

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:07 pm

Well I would have been impressed had he fought Adamek so considering that Cunningham was very unlucky to not get the W vs Adamek so can't really complain

He's lost alt of big fights as you said as is a tiny heavyweight and 36 whereas Fury will have 30+lbs over him and 6(+) inches height and reach advantages

Fury should be winning this (if it happens) but Cunningham is a good boxer and won't lack ambition like Johnson who is a flat slob and an embarrassment to title challengers

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:18 pm

Great match up. Fury showing goid ambition in fighting live opponents.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Gay Henry Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:24 pm

this looks to be Furys best opponent to date

Gay Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:09 am

azania wrote:Great match up. Fury showing goid ambition in fighting live opponents.

Do you not think he should be looking at a real live heavyweight instead of a guy who has just jumped up from cruiserweight?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:11 am

hampo171 wrote:
azania wrote:Great match up. Fury showing goid ambition in fighting live opponents.

Do you not think he should be looking at a real live heavyweight instead of a guy who has just jumped up from cruiserweight?

Eh? He fought Adamek and was robbed. Last I checked Adamek was a HW title challenger recently. Plus as far as I know, Cunningham is a HW. Would you have criticised Wlad or Vit for fighting Haye immediately after he beat Enzo?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:15 am

Exactly he's just jumped up to the heavies and had one fight. Fury is in a very different situation to when Haye stepped up. Haye stepped up looking for a belt, Cunningham has stepped up for a fight with Adamek, no other reason, he lost four world title fights at Cruiser and wont challenge any decent heavyweight. He needs to be fighting guys with a similar stature to himself in order to really test him.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:17 am

Everyones looking for the easy wins until Vitali retires. Then theres going to be a ton of matches

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:19 am

Is he or is he not a HW?

It seems that unles Fury fights K2 or the ducker Price, he will always be criticised. Whoever Price fights will be praised. Simple fact is that Cunningham is a good test for a relative novice like Fury. He should ask some questions. Certainly better than Audley or that 48 year old guy Price fought.

Great match up. He is fighting world ranked fighters as opposed to lowly UK ranked fighters......or Audley.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:25 am

Steve Cunningham is ranked 12th by the IBF, Tony Thompson is ranked 11th. If the shoe was on the other foot Az you'd be moaning that Price was fighting a blown up Cruiser.

I'm asking if in your opinion Fury should be looking at fighting a real heavyweight with a similar height and reach? In my opinion he needs to be fighting guys where he doesn't hold a huge reach or weight advantage.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:31 am

hampo171 wrote:Steve Cunningham is ranked the the IBF, Tony Thompson is ranked 11th. If the shoe was on the other foot Az you'd be moaning that Price was fighting a blown up Cruiser.

I'm asking if in your opinion Fury should be looking at fighting a real heavyweight with a similar height and reach? In my opinion he needs to be fighting guys where he doesn't hold a huge reach or weight advantage.

Cunningham is fresh and coming off a good 'win' over a highly ranked former title challenger. A great matchup.

Fury should be fighting heavyweights. Their size doesn't matter. Your question would disallow Mike Tyson type fighter from fighting a tall HW. It isn't the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. Fury has fought good opposition at this stage of his career. All credit to him and his team. Its not like he's fighting stiffs like Matt Skelton. Were he to fight someone like that, then I would criticize him without reservation.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:51 am

Fair play to him, should be a good one!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:18 pm

Cunningham a shot Cruiserweight. Way to go Luke - Great Prep for a Klitschko fight. Not!

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:23 pm

azania wrote:
hampo171 wrote:Steve Cunningham is ranked the the IBF, Tony Thompson is ranked 11th. If the shoe was on the other foot Az you'd be moaning that Price was fighting a blown up Cruiser.

Cunningham is fresh and coming off a good 'win' over a highly ranked former title challenger. A great matchup.

Fury should be fighting heavyweights. Their size doesn't matter. Your question would disallow Mike Tyson type fighter from fighting a tall HW. It isn't the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. Fury has fought good opposition at this stage of his career. All credit to him and his team. Its not like he's fighting stiffs like Matt Skelton. Were he to fight someone like that, then I would criticize him without reservation.

Cunningham isn't fresh unless you have no idea about boxing? Size does matter as Stevie is a Cruiser, who looked shot in Germany. Now he's a heavy - he is all good? - in the World of Arsania. Wake up, pal!

Cunningham doesn't have the size or style of a Klitschko and that's where Luke is mean't to be heading. Cunningham is a cheap win, that will keep gormless fans like yourself licking their balls.

Go fetch, fido!

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:39 pm

Awful match.

Cunningham looked shot to ribbons against Hernandez.

Fury and Price would be better off fighting each other in a best-of-three series than trying to learn in fights such as these.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:44 am

If a blown up cruiserweight who has lost everytime has fought decent opposition counts as a live opponent then god help the Heavyweight division.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:45 am

I take it the people who are bashing this fight, don't actually follow boxing all that well.....

Cunningham moved up and gave Adamek all he could handle, many people say he was robbed.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:49 am

Depends how highly you rate Adamek, to me he is just slightly better and very tough blown up cruiser who has made his name at heavyweight by taking a beating from a faded Vitali. Personally i think Price and even Fury would beat him fairly easily.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:10 am

azania wrote:Is he or is he not a HW?

It seems that unles Fury fights K2 or the ducker Price laughing , he will always be criticised. Whoever Price fights will be praised. Simple fact is that Cunningham is a good test for a relative novice (20+ fights Erm) like Fury. He should ask some questions. Certainly better than Audley or that 48 year old guy Price fought.

Great match up. He is fighting world ranked fighters as opposed to lowly UK ranked fighters (Tony Thompson has a higher world ranking than Kevin Johnson)......or Audley.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:13 am

azania wrote:

Its not like he's fighting stiffs like Matt Skelton. Were he to fight someone like that, then I would criticize him without reservation.

laughing

Because Maddy and Roggy were fresh faced young HW's in their prime......Laugh glad to have you back on the boards, Az. Cheers me up no end.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:26 am

a lot of fury haters on here, a 6'3" ex world champion, recently been put forward as a possible opponent for wladimir, only lost in world title fights except against another top heavyweight, who many people claim was wrongfully given the decision. i can't see why this is a bad fight for a relative novice. its not all about fighting k bro clones, he needs big fight experience, and needs to earn rankings and gain a reputation for when he wants to negotiate bigger fights.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:34 am

Whilst I agree this fight doesn't give him exact preparation for the K Bros it does give him experience against a genuine fighter with some form of talent. However, I don't think that Cunningham has much of a chin and I think he'll be sparked quite early on. Seeing how many times he's been hurt and how easy it was for Adamek to rock him in there first fight gets me thinking that Furys shots will hold too much in them.

If he was trying to fight someone similar to the Klitschko's he would just be fighting Price and that's about it, as to which of course is an awesome fight, but it's just not gonna happen yet.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:16 pm

On the basis of Cunninghams last fight against Adamek I dont think this is a bad fight for Fury. I read alot of reports saying Cunningham deserved the nod against Adamek who has been a solidly rated top ten heavyweight for the last while now. I can see the arguments about the size disparity though. Cunningham barely scraped the cruiser limit for his last fight while Fury is an enormous heavyweight.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:23 pm

This is a perfectly decent fight in fairness, though I'd expect Fury by LKO. Be interesting to see how he fares. He doesn't have many options (if he's not going to fight Price) between him and a K, so this and maybe 1 more American fringe contender would be good stop-gaps before a big one.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:40 am

Good match up this. Fury would win, increase his rankings and name, and as usual, be pushing ahead of Price as being the best in Britain at HW.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:20 am

'as usual' Rolling Eyes tool

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:01 am

davidemore wrote:Good match up this. Fury would win, increase his rankings and name, and as usual, be pushing ahead of Price as being the best in Britain at HW.

You think that beating a blown up cruiser who over the last 2 years has lost 3 of his last 4 fights and his only win in that time was against a man with 10 loses and 6 of them were in his last 7 fights pushes him above Price who is fighting Thompson a top 10 ranked heavyweight. laughing

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:21 am

hogey wrote:
davidemore wrote:Good match up this. Fury would win, increase his rankings and name, and as usual, be pushing ahead of Price as being the best in Britain at HW.

You think that beating a blown up cruiser who over the last 2 years has lost 3 of his last 4 fights and his only win in that time was against a man with 10 loses and 6 of them were in his last 7 fights pushes him above Price who is fighting Thompson a top 10 ranked heavyweight. laughing

Thompson hasnt really done anything to be warranted top ten. Im not sure he ever actually beaten a fighter that has been considered top ten. Hes been been pasted by Wlad and beaten the kind of stepping stone fighters to become mandatory.

I would argue that Cunninghams last performance against a legitimately topped ten ranked opponent in Adamek is probably better than what Thompson has done lately. Havent seen the Cunningham/Adamek fight but reports of it indicate it was close and many felt Cunningham deserved to win.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:48 am

manos de piedra wrote:
hogey wrote:

Thompson hasnt really done anything to be warranted top ten. Im not sure he ever actually beaten a fighter that has been considered top ten. Hes been been pasted by Wlad and beaten the kind of stepping stone fighters to become mandatory.

I would argue that Cunninghams last performance against a legitimately topped ten ranked opponent in Adamek is probably better than what Thompson has done lately. Havent seen the Cunningham/Adamek fight but reports of it indicate it was close and many felt Cunningham deserved to win.

It was very close I didn't score it, but it looked as though Cunningham did enough.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:04 am

WelshDevilRob wrote:
azania wrote:

Cunningham isn't fresh unless you have no idea about boxing? Size does matter as Stevie is a Cruiser, who looked shot in Germany. Now he's a heavy - he is all good? - in the World of Arsania. Wake up, pal!

Cunningham doesn't have the size or style of a Klitschko and that's where Luke is mean't to be heading. Cunningham is a cheap win, that will keep gormless fans like yourself licking their balls.

Go fetch, fido!

On the contrary. Its a perfect match up. Are you now suggesting that every top 10 HW should fight 6'6" and above fighters? Cunn is fast and will pose problems with his speed. How Fury deals with him will reflect on how he can handle Wlad's deceptive speed.

He looked in Germany getting robbed against Adamek? Grow up Alex and argue th epoint and not me. In short stop wumming. It isn't you.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:07 am

hogey wrote:
If a blown up cruiserweight who has lost everytime has fought decent opposition counts as a live opponent then god help the Heavyweight division.

Jeez, some of you guys do not understand the business of boxing. Which stupid high ranked contender will risk their chance to win the greatest prize in sport. Of course Cunny is there to be beaten. Much like the ancient and past it Thompson is there for Price to knock out and look good. They are not there to beat the main man. What kng=d of fool promoter would do that to their charge.

But this fight is a great match up for Fury. Likewise the ancient and past it Thompson is a great fight for Price. In fact I'm shocked Price is fighting someone like Thompson.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:09 am

BoxingFan88 wrote:I take it the people who are bashing this fight, don't actually follow boxing all that well.....

Cunningham moved up and gave Adamek all he could handle, many people say he was robbed.

People are just looking at Fury. They ignore the simple fact that Price ducked him and then moved on to better things leaving David in his wake.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:13 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
azania wrote:

Its not like he's fighting stiffs like Matt Skelton. Were he to fight someone like that, then I would criticize him without reservation.

laughing

Because Maddy and Roggy were fresh faced young HW's in their prime......Laugh glad to have you back on the boards, Az. Cheers me up no end.

Great learning fight for a young HW. They are actually better than anyone Price has fought. Didn't Rogan beat a prime Audley and a peak Skelton? And who were Price's last two opponents?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:14 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:Whilst I agree this fight doesn't give him exact preparation for the K Bros it does give him experience against a genuine fighter with some form of talent. However, I don't think that Cunningham has much of a chin and I think he'll be sparked quite early on. Seeing how many times he's been hurt and how easy it was for Adamek to rock him in there first fight gets me thinking that Furys shots will hold too much in them.

If he was trying to fight someone similar to the Klitschko's he would just be fighting Price and that's about it, as to which of course is an awesome fight, but it's just not gonna happen yet.

Were Audley and Skelton in anyway similar to K2? Who out there who is legit is similar to K2?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:17 am

hogey wrote:

Thompson is a great match up for Price. Legit top 10. Only loss was to Wlad and more importantly extremely experienced. That he is over 40, deffo past it and probably has zero ambition is irrelevant.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:40 pm

azania wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
azania wrote:

laughing

Great learning fight for a young HW. They are actually better than anyone Price has fought. Didn't Rogan beat a prime Audley and a peak Skelton? And who were Price's last two opponents?

laughing Laugh Laugh please, stop Az, my sides are splitting........ Roggy was as bad as Fat MaccyD, truly awful (and even more embarrassing given he was the 'bigger and better thing' Fury went to after ditching the belts) and Maddy was an embarassment also, not sure I've seen a more limited HW than him. Sam Sexton comfortably has more skills.

'Prime Audley' - almost as fallacious as the 'Prime Tyson' hypothesis.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:02 am

azania wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:Whilst I agree this fight doesn't give him exact preparation for the K Bros it does give him experience against a genuine fighter with some form of talent. However, I don't think that Cunningham has much of a chin and I think he'll be sparked quite early on. Seeing how many times he's been hurt and how easy it was for Adamek to rock him in there first fight gets me thinking that Furys shots will hold too much in them.

Were Audley and Skelton in anyway similar to K2? Who out there who is legit is similar to K2?

I think you misunderstand Az, not having a dig at Fury in the slightest and I think that Cunningham is a decent matchup, I was more referring to the state of the division and the fact that there aren't all that many decent genuine contenders in the division that can mimic a KlitBot, aside from Price, and that fight isn't happening due to TV Companies.

I never said anything about Price's opponents, I think that overall Fury's opponents have been slightly better, although not exactly great stuff either, however he has had more fights than Price.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:47 am

azania wrote:

People are just looking at Fury. They ignore the simple fact that Price ducked him and then moved on to better things leaving David in his wake.

You don't half talk some sh!t when you get one of your classic "I've decided on a position and therefore will never deviate from it and will happily lie to back it up" lines of argument. It is no 'simple fact' that Price 'ducked' Fury. If anything, the evidence points more to the opposite. It's no simple fact that Price is 'being left in Fury's wake'. Both are being touted and discussed. I'd agree that Fury is slightly ahead in terms of his opponents to date (although I am convinced Price will smash him if they meet).

Both the Cunningham and Thompson fights are ok-ish. Winnable fights against decent quality opposition. Nothing really to suggest that one is a joke fight and one is a great fight - as you seem to be doing. This is all because you have decided upon 'Fury is doing better than Price' as one of your argument soundbites. Just like you do with 'everyone is hard on Amir Khan and I need to protect him' stance. It's really boring and you should cut it out.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:49 am

Price hasn't ducked anybody.......

If Price had a big mouth.. Azania would like him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:00 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Price hasn't ducked anybody.......

If Price had a big mouth.. Azania would like him..

Team Fury offered price a fight. Maloney turned it down. FACT.

And yes, if Price had a personality I probably would like him. But with him its like supporting a moving plank but with less personality.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:02 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
azania wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
azania wrote:

laughing

laughing Laugh Laugh please, stop Az, my sides are splitting........ Roggy was as bad as Fat MaccyD, truly awful (and even more embarrassing given he was the 'bigger and better thing' Fury went to after ditching the belts) and Maddy was an embarassment also, not sure I've seen a more limited HW than him. Sam Sexton comfortably has more skills.

'Prime Audley' - almost as fallacious as the 'Prime Tyson' hypothesis.

Rogan beat Audley and Sexton were it not for the ref jobbing him. Maddy is way superior to Sexton in every way. Fact is Price has done away with floating turds and nothing more.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down