The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official venting about pub-only fans thread

+30
Knackeredknees
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
brennomac
OzT
Scrumpy
Manky-Flanker
mr_stonelea
bluestonevedder
beshocked
rodders
Cyril
Jimpy
sad_gimp
nganboy
kingjohn7
LeinsterFan4life
thebluesmancometh
doctor_grey
bsando
Notch
debaters1
Sugarlump
Kingshu
BelfastDickVet
Breadvan
AlastairW
Effervescing Elephant
lostinwales
Casartelli
ScarletSpiderman
34 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Official venting about pub-only fans thread Empty Official venting about pub-only fans thread

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:30 pm

It is that time of year again where the pub-only fans crawl out of the woodwork and start to spout nonesence. I don't know about everyone else but my work place has gone from three or four rugby fans to fourty plus. I am not talking about the people who are just discovering the game, or even people who only have an interest in the International game. I am talking about the people that have been 'watching' the six nations every year in their local pub/rugby club whilst seeing how many they can throw down their necks, and not actually knowing what is going on in the game, but still feel a compultion to shout at every decision the ref makes against us, whether its right or wrong. And worse they feel the need to stop talking about football and start preaching about rugby in the tea room. It is really annoying, I have nothing against them as people, but knowing there are another 7 weeks to suffer is worrying.

The stupid comments have already started.

So far the best are

"At last they have had the balls to drop Priestland"

"I predict a final score of Wales 4 and Ireland 5"

"Biggar just isn't really match fit, but I guess that is the problem, as the Ospreys have to juggle game time for him and Hook"

In honour of these muppets I have decided to start a thred to catalogue the best, well worst, of these comments. Feel free to add any you have had to suffer.

Last edited by ScarletSpiderman on Tue 05 Feb 2013, 2:25 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Clearing up aimed at the pub-only fan, not being snobby)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Official venting about pub-only fans thread Empty Re: Official venting about pub-only fans thread

Post by Casartelli Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:40 pm

"Dan Biggar has been exceptional all week."

R. Howley

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Official venting about pub-only fans thread Empty Re: Official venting about pub-only fans thread

Post by lostinwales Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:45 pm

'Crazy to leave Freddie Burns out - he could be very special, and this an easy game to give him some more game time. Flood is history now.'

From the BBC website....

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:47 pm

Just read that as well, Lost. Couldn't read more than a couple of pages of comments. Such a misinformed, ranty bunch of tossers. Noticed Hersh was on there as well!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:50 pm

Oh dear SS. What ever you do DO NOT go to any of the BBC HYS, you might just give yourself a coronary! Very Happy - looks like lostinwales has already made a trip there to pick up a few beauties!

Plastic fans galore on that flame fest.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:51 pm

Saw the thread title and thought it was about capital one cup final tickets.. Wink

You get them at every sporting event. Football, the Ashes etc. What annoys me is the ones in pubs watching only one game in the tourney, usually England, who haven't got a clue. All dolled up with dragons painted in cheeks, cheering for retired and not picked players. furious
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by BelfastDickVet Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:56 pm

One of my classmates were telling me today that Cain Healy was Originally from Russia and that it really shows how bad Irish rugby is when one of their best players is Russian.

I almost exploded with a mix of rage and laughter. It's just so wrong and ridiculous on so many levels. I felt like stoking the fire and telling him that tony Buckly was a Croat and that is why our scrum was so awful when they played together for Ireland.

BelfastDickVet

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/rdvcrfc/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 31 Jan 2013, 5:07 pm

i actually hate the knows it all, (but don't fans). They tend to be loud and call everything wrong, you wonder do they know the rules, but they shout at the ref (and TV if in pub) and get it wrong themselves, while your nodding thinking good call ref,

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 31 Jan 2013, 5:13 pm

kingshu sadly the 6Ns only fans I know are exactly that type, or worse, the pudit parrots.

DickVet I must be honest I have been known to give false info to fans before for a while I had one bloke believing Adam Jones was really Duncan Jones vbut with dyed hair
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugarlump Thu 31 Jan 2013, 5:28 pm

At least the welsh ladies with their daffodil inspired headgear are enthusiastic. I sat behind a rather unpleasant woman at HQ who yawned theatrically, read a magazine and asked her partner how long a game of rugby lasts, he answered 90mins! mad

Sugarlump

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 5:32 pm

BDV,

I was in school with Healy, he was a few years behind me, but that's classic, he's Russian now. Brilliant. Wink

That type of fan annoys me, but it is not limited to the 6N. I know some right tool Munster fans that wouldn't credit a Leinster player if he cured cancer, and vice versa.

But we really shouldn't be surprised as the part of the brain that "controls/is responsible for" your being a fan of someone/team etc is the irrational centre of the brain; quite literally fan is short for fanatic. An irrational state of being.

So just be glad that any of us can mix our dyed-in-the-wool-support with any clarity of analyses and acceptance of salient fact over entrenched opinion.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by BelfastDickVet Thu 31 Jan 2013, 5:39 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:kingshu sadly the 6Ns only fans I know are exactly that type, or worse, the pudit parrots.

DickVet I must be honest I have been known to give false info to fans before for a while I had one bloke believing Adam Jones was really Duncan Jones vbut with dyed hair

Actually that's a good call, we all do it to some extent, I have a lot of Americans in my year and I have been trying to convince them that Edinburgh are a decent European side but even they could see straight through that one. But they do refer to a try as a touch down and a penalty/conversion as a field goal which gets old very fast!

BelfastDickVet

Back to top Go down

Post by BelfastDickVet Thu 31 Jan 2013, 5:44 pm

debaters1 wrote:BDV,

I was in school with Healy, he was a few years behind me, but that's classic, he's Russian now. Brilliant. Wink

That type of fan annoys me, but it is not limited to the 6N. I know some right tool Munster fans that wouldn't credit a Leinster player if he cured cancer, and vice versa.

But we really shouldn't be surprised as the part of the brain that "controls/is responsible for" your being a fan of someone/team etc is the irrational centre of the brain; quite literally fan is short for fanatic. An irrational state of being.

So just be glad that any of us can mix our dyed-in-the-wool-support with any clarity of analyses and acceptance of salient fact over entrenched opinion.

I know what you mean regarding the whole Munster Leinster thing. I was watching the HEC Leinster vs Scarlets game in a pub in Edinburgh with a Friend from Offaly, the bar was packed with Munster supporters as they played Edinburgh the next day in Murryfield. They were all screaming for the Scarlets the whole match, calling the Leinster players all the names of the day. The pub emptied once Leinster scored their fourth try. We got a bit of stick as we seemed to be the only people cheering Leinster on.

BelfastDickVet

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 31 Jan 2013, 5:47 pm

BelfastDickVet wrote:One of my classmates were telling me today that Cain Healy was Originally from Russia and that it really shows how bad Irish rugby is when one of their best players is Russian.

I almost exploded with a mix of rage and laughter. It's just so wrong and ridiculous on so many levels. I felt like stoking the fire and telling him that tony Buckly was a Croat and that is why our scrum was so awful when they played together for Ireland.

laughing

kingshu wrote:i actually hate the knows it all, (but don't fans). They tend to be loud and call everything wrong, you wonder do they know the rules, but they shout at the ref (and TV if in pub) and get it wrong themselves, while your nodding thinking good call ref,

You get a fair few of these bores on the Promenade at Ravenhill unfortunately. They are there for the beer steam
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 31 Jan 2013, 5:48 pm

Sugarlump wrote:At least the welsh ladies with their daffodil inspired headgear are enthusiastic. I sat behind a rather unpleasant woman at HQ who yawned theatrically, read a magazine and asked her partner how long a game of rugby lasts, he answered 90mins! mad

Laugh
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 31 Jan 2013, 5:49 pm

BelfastDickVet wrote:

I know what you mean regarding the whole Munster Leinster thing. I was watching the HEC Leinster vs Scarlets game in a pub in Edinburgh with a Friend from Offaly, the bar was packed with Munster supporters as they played Edinburgh the next day in Murryfield. They were all screaming for the Scarlets the whole match, calling the Leinster players all the names of the day. The pub emptied once Leinster scored their fourth try. We got a bit of stick as we seemed to be the only people cheering Leinster on.

It's what kind of ruins the international games these days, as you get the same people turning up and doing the same thing LIVE.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 5:53 pm

Cuts both ways Dick, I've seen some gloating from Leinster fans of recent times as Munster have declined & rebuilt etc. Now for me, most of both sets, indeed Ulster & Connacht fans too for that matter, are sound and generous and rational and not bitter. The other type just tend to be louder. As is the way of things though!

No matter what happens in any game over the weekend, they'll be people who will argue that the respective MoM's had awful games (and before anyone picks up on the whole MoM thing being at times down to a uselss pundit choice, I'm talkin about the guys who will have had superb games) and that their player that the fan-boy for would have had a better game and the coach should be shot etc etc etc. Yawn.

BelfastDickVet wrote:

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 31 Jan 2013, 6:09 pm

"Oh yeah its the 6 Nations this weekend! But I cannot wait for the Superbowl on Sunday!!" vomit

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 31 Jan 2013, 6:56 pm

Jeez mates, this does have a wisp of Rugby snobbery about it, no? Every sport has its' fair weather fans who drift in for the big events and drift away afterwards. Yeah, it was a bit funny when watching the Autumn Ingternationals and someone told me Mike Tindall is a bit of an arse and aksed where he was on the pitch. But I can deal with that kind of thing: They pay to see the matches, they raise viewing numbers which drives advertising money (though not, of course on the Beeb, but with a halo effect to other matches), and eventually we bring some intio the family. The last point is probably the most important - we grab a few more each time, mind-alter them, and now we just grew the sport. And part of that is what a big, inclusive family we are. Perfect.

Sorry if I sound like your Mum or Dad telling you to be nice to the other kids, but it does make sense??????

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:06 pm

dr grey I see your point, I was thinking more of the tools that get sweepstakes going at work, 'watch' the match in the pub whilst talking testicles and not understanding the actual game. Like I said at work there are suddenly fourty jiffy echoes at work, and there's no escape.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:42 pm

Went into a bar in Dublin a few years back, first time I had been to Dublin and it was Wales Ireland, come to think of it we are probably talking 5 or 6 years now.

Was obviously on the wrong side of Dublin, near the city centre mind, and the missus was never a rugby fan (until about a month after we met anyway) so we sat in a bar to watch the Ireland Wales game, crowds had all gone to the stadium and we and about 40 people sat in this bar, huge place don't know what it was called.

Anyway 5 mins in and the bar staff had come over to ask me to keep it down, there were patrons trying to watch the match, bare in mind I was the only red shirt amongst a sea of green. I was shocked until I was told by a few Englishman in the corner it was the girls sat in front of the TV, dolled up to the nines with their backs facing the TV who had compleined because they couldnt hear their mobile phones.

Turned out I had a great night with the English fellas and we cheered the night away watching England straight after, until evicted at half time for being rowdy... ROISH!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:45 pm

bsando wrote:"Oh yeah its the 6 Nations this weekend! But I cannot wait for the Superbowl on Sunday!!" vomit
You mean teleshopping with a bit of football inbetween. Seriously how can Americans put up with the constant breaks for adds.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:52 pm

I quite like the superbowl, but could never watch it live. I always record and forward through to the actuall action, of which I know everyone says is very little but you don't realise how little goes on until you watch with your finger on the forward button!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 31 Jan 2013, 8:10 pm

ScarletSpiderman,
I don't mean to slate everyone here. I know exactly the kid of people you mean. Its real annoying at times. But it seemed to me everyone was going off on everyone not as into the sport as are we, and thats not really the type of people we are.

There's another English doc in my practice in New Jersey. Last Friday he put on an England jersey and started talking up England's chances. A kind of 21st Century's 'Engwish and pwoud' type. I had to tell him he had the wrong weekend. Was funny, actuallly, though he is a bit of a weenie.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Jan 2013, 8:35 pm

One of my big bug bears is the type of fan we've got on these boards - know it all anoraks who think that they are above other people because they attend rugby more and know the inside leg measurements of the Romanian national team. I see absolutely nothing wrong with people dipping in and out of rugby. If they only have time and effort for the international game, then what's wrong with that? People like Bluesman, who was on another thread the other day saying how he essentially talked down to people who dared strike up a conversation with him about rugby because they knew that he was into rugby himself. If I was only slightly into rugby and tried to chat to someone about it as a way of making conversation, and was essentially told to F off, I'd feel like decking the cheeky fecker. There's nothing worse is life than a snooty, know it all, bore that belittles those who do not have the same level of knowledge as them.

I'll be meeting the same groups of mates and their dads on Saturday for the game. Some of us are season ticket holders at the dragons, some of us are occasional club fans, some have never been to a club game, some don't even like the rugby but enjoy a day out with the boys. All will engage each other in some form of rugby chat about team selections, players, etc. Especially with those in the know. As always, we'll be more than happy to chat and put our knowledge to good use, all over a fews slurps of ale. At no point do we ever feel annoyed that some of the boys are 'plastic'. Far from it. They're fully into other things that I am only partially into (e.g. Cycling, boxing, finance), and they'll reciprocate in future when I chat to them about the Tour de France with my limited, 2 week per year involvement. That's just a normal part of life and human interaction. The rich tapestry of life. If you've got a problem with people who only have passing interests in certain things then you've got some big, big issues! I'm sure we could all find some 'plastic' elements in our own interests.

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 31 Jan 2013, 9:12 pm

People like Bluesman, who was on another thread the other day saying how he essentially talked down to people who dared strike up a conversation with him about rugby because they knew that he was into rugby himself.

Back in your box Griff! You have no idea how I responded to someone jibing me about being into rugby because I wasn't going to the game because I never posted my response!

Infact I have responded on the same thread youve tried to use me as an example on with a post regarding snobbery!!

When you have time to go and read properly I will await your apology!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 31 Jan 2013, 9:29 pm

Maybe it's just me but I know sod all about football since the days when mk don were still called wimbledon, so when it's the euros or world cup, i'll watch it if there's nothing else on or on tv when I'm in the pub but I don't feel the need to start telling people about how Beckham should be recalled etc.

If Wales win a match then my work is packed with rugby fans, but if we lose then there will be a few grumbles and conversation will promptly change to swansea, man unt or liverpool football, with rugby only being talked about again when the England game comes around.

I really have nothing against internation only fans, or even people who don't understand the game fully, as long as their honest about it.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 9:30 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:dr grey I see your point, I was thinking more of the tools that get sweepstakes going at work, 'watch' the match in the pub whilst talking testicles and not understanding the actual game.

Think thats me your talking about angel

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 31 Jan 2013, 9:33 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Maybe it's just me but I know sod all about football since the days when mk don were still called wimbledon, so when it's the euros or world cup, i'll watch it if there's nothing else on or on tv when I'm in the pub but I don't feel the need to start telling people about how Beckham should be recalled etc.

If Wales win a match then my work is packed with rugby fans, but if we lose then there will be a few grumbles and conversation will promptly change to swansea, man unt or liverpool football, with rugby only being talked about again when the England game comes around.

I really have nothing against internation only fans, or even people who don't understand the game fully, as long as their honest about it.

David Beckham still plays soccer???!

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Jan 2013, 9:40 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:People like Bluesman, who was on another thread the other day saying how he essentially talked down to people who dared strike up a conversation with him about rugby because they knew that he was into rugby himself.

Back in your box Griff! You have no idea how I responded to someone jibing me about being into rugby because I wasn't going to the game because I never posted my response!

Infact I have responded on the same thread youve tried to use me as an example on with a post regarding snobbery!!

When you have time to go and read properly I will await your apology!!

Well, can't find it now. Maybe I dreamt it. Or maybe it was changed. Definitely remember you telling the story of someome trying to talk to you about rugby because they knew you we involved in it...

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 31 Jan 2013, 9:43 pm

Cas I believe so, I was told he signed for PSG or something today by a football fan.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 31 Jan 2013, 10:30 pm

Casartelli wrote:David Beckham still plays soccer???!
He is a soccer player? I thought he was famous for being married to an anorexic, rather frigid looking Spice Girl and for naming his kid after one of the boroughs in New York City (Brooklyn). Kind of like naming your kid Southwark or Barking.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 31 Jan 2013, 11:46 pm

I reckon Victoria would be super hot with a couple more kilos on her.
And while I have attended pretty much every rugby game at the CakeTin(that's Wellington NZ) since it opened at Lions, Hurricanes and ABs levels, except for when I lived overseas, I accept that not everyone needs to be a total rugby geek.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Fri 01 Feb 2013, 1:37 am

Ah sorry if i did seem @rsey earlier. New fans and occasional fans are not at all a problem/bad thing/to be discouraged, on the contrary, the more the merrier. It is the collective that think/insist they know about the game (this could be soccer, rugby, insert your Olympic sport here) and insist on 'educating' you if you happen to be within ear shot. Actually, basically, the stereotypical annoying taxi driver, but in the pub setting. Racism an optional extra. Those guys grind my gears.

That and running out of milk. I really hate it when that happens.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Fri 01 Feb 2013, 2:10 am

You've got to give 'fresh' fans some slack....it's not exactly a sport where it's immediately obvious what is going on!

Even those of us that play the game still are mystified at how the breakdown is refereed sometimes!

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Fri 01 Feb 2013, 8:45 am

doctor_grey wrote:There's another English doc in my practice in New Jersey. Last Friday he put on an England jersey and started talking up England's chances. A kind of 21st Century's 'Engwish and pwoud' type. I had to tell him he had the wrong weekend. Was funny, actuallly, though he is a bit of a weenie.

Jeez Dad, you tick us off for being snobs, then have a crack at a work colleague for being a weenie plastic fan! Laugh Do as i say, not as i do? Wink

All tongue-in-cheek banter Doc ... but go on, join us, join the darkside, it will make you stronger than you can possibly imagine. Official venting about pub-only fans thread Smiley-sw018

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 01 Feb 2013, 9:21 am

Personally, I think that people who look down their noses at others who might have a little less knowledge about the sport, is just as bad, if not worse than, the people who they're putting down.

Judging by some of the garbage written by some of you, it seems that it isn't only the plastic supporters with gaps in their knowledge.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 01 Feb 2013, 9:30 am

mid_gen wrote:You've got to give 'fresh' fans some slack....it's not exactly a sport where it's immediately obvious what is going on!

Even those of us that play the game still are mystified at how the breakdown is refereed sometimes!

I have nothing against 'fresh' fans, or people who have never really taken to rugby (insert any hobby/sport) before and are wanting to learn and understnad it. They are brilliant, and we were all exactly like that back when we started to follow the sport. However I have a huge issue with peole who dust off an old red jersey (Or what ever national colour is required), and then go get drunk in a pub with the match on the tv, and then go on and rant absolute balls at me for the next seven days.

The major problem is that these people are not learning about the game, they are repeat offenders, and have been for best part of a decede (funny enough these first started their annual interest back around April 2005). A few years ago when AWJ tripped the English lad and got sent for ten mins, I had to listen to a weeks worth of Alyn Wayne Jones shouldn't be allowed to play for Wales ever again, Alyn Wyn James must be on the take beacuse that was blatent match fixing etc etc. Then last year I had to sit through moans about Bradley Davies was unfairly banned because Ferris' spear was worse after all he got carded for it.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 01 Feb 2013, 9:38 am

If there weren't so-called "plastic" fans then a lot of international stadia wouldn't be sell-outs?

Would you want a full stadium or a 1/4 or 1/2 full one with only the 'right sort of fans'?

Let's face it, everyone gets into things (sporting and non-sporting) for a short amount of time when a big event comes up and it's going to annoy some uptight diehards. I only watch golf when the Ryder Cup is on, know little about it as a sport but really enjoy the event.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 01 Feb 2013, 9:41 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
mid_gen wrote:You've got to give 'fresh' fans some slack....it's not exactly a sport where it's immediately obvious what is going on!

I have nothing against 'fresh' fans, or people who have never really taken to rugby (insert any hobby/sport) before and are wanting to learn and understnad it. They are brilliant, and we were all exactly like that back when we started to follow the sport. However I have a huge issue with peole who dust off an old red jersey (Or what ever national colour is required), and then go get drunk in a pub with the match on the tv, and then go on and rant absolute balls at me for the next seven days.

The major problem is that these people are not learning about the game, they are repeat offenders, and have been for best part of a decede (funny enough these first started their annual interest back around April 2005). A few years ago when AWJ tripped the English lad and got sent for ten mins, I had to listen to a weeks worth of Alyn Wayne Jones shouldn't be allowed to play for Wales ever again, Alyn Wyn James must be on the take beacuse that was blatent match fixing etc etc. Then last year I had to sit through moans about Bradley Davies was unfairly banned because Ferris' spear was worse after all he got carded for it.

I know, maybe it wouldn't be as much of a problem if Wales could actually win a match, then the 'fans' might not have to get their facts mixed up when complaining..

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 01 Feb 2013, 9:43 am

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:If there weren't so-called "plastic" fans then a lot of international stadia wouldn't be sell-outs?

Would you want a full stadium or a 1/4 or 1/2 full one with only the 'right sort of fans'?

Let's face it, everyone gets into things (sporting and non-sporting) for a short amount of time when a big event comes up and it's going to annoy some uptight diehards. I only watch golf when the Ryder Cup is on, know little about it as a sport but really enjoy the event.

Its not like you have to be an official member of that particular sport's supporter's club to watch is it?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 01 Feb 2013, 9:47 am

Jimpy wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:If there weren't so-called "plastic" fans then a lot of international stadia wouldn't be sell-outs?

Its not like you have to be an official member of that particular sport's supporter's club to watch is it?
Quite. Though it appears some on here would want you to have to take rugby's version of the citizenship test before you're allowed to have an opinion or attend a game.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 01 Feb 2013, 9:51 am

And they wonder why rugby has something of a reputation as 'eliteist'.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 01 Feb 2013, 9:52 am

I wonder if someone, somewhere on another forum is having a good old laugh at some of the gumph on here ......... Whistle

I agree with Griff, Cyril, jimpy and co.

Last edited by rodders on Fri 01 Feb 2013, 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 01 Feb 2013, 9:52 am

Can I just clear this up, I am not on about those who attend games, I am on about those who watch it in the pub (and wouldn't go to the match, as that is beer money wasted when they could watch it on tv).

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:Let's face it, everyone gets into things (sporting and non-sporting) for a short amount of time when a big event comes up and it's going to annoy some uptight diehards. I only watch golf when the Ryder Cup is on, know little about it as a sport but really enjoy the event.

When the Ryder Cup is on do you go to the local golf club and get to the point where you can't stand up straight and mouth of at every little thing the USA golfers do? Do you put on a checkered trousers and a wierd sun hat thing to go to work in? Do you find as many people who like golf as possible and tell them that none of this lot are worthy of polishing Faldo's sticks (I know their clubs, but these half assed fans are generally that awful)? Because the sort of 'rugby' fans I am on about do the equivelant of that.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 01 Feb 2013, 9:54 am

Scarletspiderman I think the most annoying thing is when you have people forcing you to get up whilst you're watching the game (live I am talking about). If you want a beer you can go down to your local pub. Might seem controversial to some of you.

Having a beer for the game or afterwards is fine but please don't traipse pass back and forth with numerous pints whilst others are trying to watch the game!

Smart little trick - buy beer before the match starts.

I do agree. I do find plastic fans quite annoying. For example on the bbc page a Scottish fan saying they wouldn't have one English player in a joint English-Scottish side.

At the Saracens-Racing Metro one "rugby" fan was going on about how rubbish Borthwick is and how he makes no metres. He then proceeds to power over for a try.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri 01 Feb 2013, 9:58 am

One thing that does annoy me are the comments on the BBC website and fan pages on Facebook. People write these really articulate posts about how x player shouold be starting, or how y player should be there, completely ignorant of the fact that they're injured or something.

If you're going to preach so much, at least make the effort to do your research. Sometimes it does just come across as moronic, but I can understand the 'plastic fans'. After all, the fact that the 6 Nations is possibly the only non-Sky rugby event (bar the WC) makes it so much easier to follow, and hence will draw them out of the woodwork.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 01 Feb 2013, 10:03 am

beshocked wrote:Scarletspiderman I think the most annoying thing is when you have people forcing you to get up whilst you're watching the game (live I am talking about). If you want a beer you can go down to your local pub. Might seem controversial to some of you.

Having a beer for the game or afterwards is fine but please don't traipse pass back and forth with numerous pints whilst others are trying to watch the game!

I do agree. I do find plastic fans quite annoying. For example on the bbc page a Scottish fan saying they wouldn't have one English player in a joint English-Scottish side.

At the Saracens-Racing Metro one "rugby" fan was going on about how rubbish Borthwick is and how he makes no metres. He then proceeds to power over for a try.

People getting in your way at a Saracens home game shouldn't normally be a problem though should it? 'Cos you can simply get up and move to another empty part of the stadium.

Seriously - are you for real? You honestly expect people to take their seats and remain motionless until released by the half time/full time whistle? Perhaps you should begin a campaign to stamp out fidgeting, leg stretching and silly hats - you could also offer a free colostomy bag to each supporter as they go through the gate. Toilet breaks will become a thing of the past.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 01 Feb 2013, 10:11 am

Jimpy wrote:
beshocked wrote:Scarletspiderman I think the most annoying thing is when you have people forcing you to get up whilst you're watching the game (live I am talking about). If you want a beer you can go down to your local pub. Might seem controversial to some of you.

People getting in your way at a Saracens home game shouldn't normally be a problem though should it? 'Cos you can simply get up and move to another empty part of the stadium.

Seriously - are you for real? You honestly expect people to take their seats and remain motionless until released by the half time/full time whistle? Perhaps you should begin a campaign to stamp out fidgeting, leg stretching and silly hats - you could also offer a free colostomy bag to each supporter as they go through the gate. Toilet breaks will become a thing of the past.

I suppose you haven't heard in the news that Saracens are having their first game at their new stadium on the 16th Feb.

I expect people to take their seats before the game starts yes. I want to watch the game without being interrupted. What's wrong with that?

Can't you say anything constructive?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 01 Feb 2013, 10:16 am

beshocked wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

I suppose you haven't heard in the news that Saracens are having their first game at their new stadium on the 16th Feb.

I expect people to take their seats before the game starts yes. I want to watch the game without being interrupted. What's wrong with that?

Can't you say anything constructive?

I can, but funnily enough I simply can't be bothered where you're concerned.

Toodleoo

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next