The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official venting about pub-only fans thread

+30
Knackeredknees
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
brennomac
OzT
Scrumpy
Manky-Flanker
mr_stonelea
bluestonevedder
beshocked
rodders
Cyril
Jimpy
sad_gimp
nganboy
kingjohn7
LeinsterFan4life
thebluesmancometh
doctor_grey
bsando
Notch
debaters1
Sugarlump
Kingshu
BelfastDickVet
Breadvan
AlastairW
Effervescing Elephant
lostinwales
Casartelli
ScarletSpiderman
34 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Official venting about pub-only fans thread - Page 3 Empty Official venting about pub-only fans thread

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

It is that time of year again where the pub-only fans crawl out of the woodwork and start to spout nonesence. I don't know about everyone else but my work place has gone from three or four rugby fans to fourty plus. I am not talking about the people who are just discovering the game, or even people who only have an interest in the International game. I am talking about the people that have been 'watching' the six nations every year in their local pub/rugby club whilst seeing how many they can throw down their necks, and not actually knowing what is going on in the game, but still feel a compultion to shout at every decision the ref makes against us, whether its right or wrong. And worse they feel the need to stop talking about football and start preaching about rugby in the tea room. It is really annoying, I have nothing against them as people, but knowing there are another 7 weeks to suffer is worrying.

The stupid comments have already started.

So far the best are

"At last they have had the balls to drop Priestland"

"I predict a final score of Wales 4 and Ireland 5"

"Biggar just isn't really match fit, but I guess that is the problem, as the Ospreys have to juggle game time for him and Hook"

In honour of these muppets I have decided to start a thred to catalogue the best, well worst, of these comments. Feel free to add any you have had to suffer.

Last edited by ScarletSpiderman on Tue 05 Feb 2013, 2:25 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Clearing up aimed at the pub-only fan, not being snobby)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Official venting about pub-only fans thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Official venting about pub-only fans thread

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 01 Feb 2013, 8:13 pm

Griff cool down man. Like i have said numerous times it is the totally dull comments i was talking about. If i said to a football fan that the left winger should pick up the ball and throw it to his striker I would excect the urine taken out of me. The 4-5 fulltime prediction was pretty special, you have to admit.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Official venting about pub-only fans thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Official venting about pub-only fans thread

Post by Knackeredknees Sat 02 Feb 2013, 8:45 am

Best not watch bbc right now!! Lots of plastic pink hats around

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Sat 02 Feb 2013, 9:06 am

I was unfortunate to go to the Liberty on Boxing Day for Ospreys v Scarlets. Group of 4 or 5 boys behind me who were about 14 years old. I was with a group of kids and had to turn around twice during the game to tell them to watch their language.

Coming up to half time the announcer said that the stadium clock was not the match clock and had not stopped for injuries etc. The boys behind me were obviously football fans and hadn't heard the announcement. After 45 minutes (not 40), they started talking about how long the half was going on. They unanimously decided that because the first half had over run and the game was on TV this meant that there now wouldn't be a half time break!

Half way through the second half, after the players had inexplicably had a half time break, they started criticising Rhys Priestland's kicking. I did laugh out loud. In fairness to them Aled Thomas' kicking wasn't great.

They also kept shouting out things like "smash him, go on, break his f'ing leg"!

The boys clearly knew little about rugby and were football fans who were there because it was an event.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Moores Twin Sat 02 Feb 2013, 10:20 am

Its a shame that these plastic fans show little or no interest in the club game.

Brian Moores Twin

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 02 Feb 2013, 12:34 pm

Brian Moores Twin wrote:Its a shame that these plastic fans show little or no interest in the club game.

To be fair if you look at the regional attendances they tend to be higher for the hec, even against rabo opposition, so i guess it does happen, just not as noticable.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 02 Feb 2013, 12:43 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Theres still a lot of welsh fans out there who still live in the bubble of the glory years and dont realise the 2012 grandslam was 10 months ago. chin

Loving your work Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 05 Feb 2013, 2:24 pm

Latest special comment

"Biggar just isn't really match fit, but I guess that is the problem, as the Ospreys have to juggle game time for him and Hook"
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 08 Feb 2013, 11:20 am

Well here's one for you then, from the BBC website this moning:

"Delighted to see Billy T being called 12T instead of 36, not least because he's not a four king oyrish man"

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 08 Feb 2013, 11:34 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Latest special comment

You made that one up!

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 08 Feb 2013, 11:37 am

Casartelli wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Latest special comment

You made that one up!

I wish! Trust me I know a hell of a lot of really really dense and totally out of the loop 'rugby' fans. That is why I started this thread, they really are that thick!
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 08 Feb 2013, 12:01 pm

Honestly, some of you are like those gobshoite musical journalists who champion an unknown band till they're blue in the face and then, the moment the band has any success, ditch them because they're "commercial". It's just another form of exclusivity, otherwise known as snobbery.

Rugby needs as many fans as it can get if it wants to be taken seriously as a global sport. The more the merrier, I reckon. If people don't get wowed by a mid-table club match in October, who cares? Let them pick and choose as much as they want. Y'all can educate the poor feckers about the game on the occasions that they do dare to poke their heads above the rugby parapet.

The game isn't supposed to be a secret Masonic society, you know.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 08 Feb 2013, 12:12 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Honestly, some of you are like those gobshoite musical journalists who champion an unknown band till they're blue in the face and then, the moment the band has any success, ditch them because they're "commercial". It's just another form of exclusivity, otherwise known as snobbery.

Rugby needs as many fans as it can get if it wants to be taken seriously as a global sport. The more the merrier, I reckon. If people don't get wowed by a mid-table club match in October, who cares? Let them pick and choose as much as they want. Y'all can educate the poor feckers about the game on the occasions that they do dare to poke their heads above the rugby parapet.

The game isn't supposed to be a secret Masonic society, you know.

I agree totally, I am not having a dig at these people. And when they come out with really dull comments I don't tell them to shut the hell up, or even tell them how stupid that statement is, I just either nod my head in agreeement, or in the case of the Hook/Biggar Ospreys game time, I politely say "Ah Hook left them to play in France, for that very reason".

Also, not meaning this nastey mate, but how are you any different from me? You accuse me of being snobbey, but surely in your need to slam me for having a little chuckle at the odd funny comment here and there, your being a bit of up your own rump too. After all what makes you think your holier than thou enought ot preach equality etc to me?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 08 Feb 2013, 12:22 pm

Because I don't feel the need to belittle people for their lack of knowledge is the short answer.

The longer answer is that you have set yourself up to be shot at by starting a thread that drips with a "this is for insiders only" sort of unpleasantness. You know, "Ha, ha, this novice can't tell a ruck from a maul". No wonder so few women go to games.

On the other hand, those who are the target of your scorn have only committed the crime of being interested in the sport and trying to run before they can walk.

In short, they don't deserve it - you do.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 08 Feb 2013, 12:28 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Because I don't feel the need to belittle people for their lack of knowledge is the short answer.

The longer answer is that you have set yourself up to be shot at by starting a thread that drips with a "this is for insiders only" sort of unpleasantness. You know, "Ha, ha, this novice can't tell a ruck from a maul". No wonder so few women go to games.

On the other hand, those who are the target of your scorn have only committed the crime of being interested in the sport and trying to run before they can walk.

In short, they don't deserve it - you do.

Get your head out of your rump, and read through all the posts I have posted and maybe your will reasses your opinion.

If not sod you! Laugh
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 08 Feb 2013, 12:32 pm

Yes, you start the thread, and pretend to tone down the garbage that will inevitably flood to it.

Rather like the bully's sidekick, who holds his coat for him while the bully is flogging some younger kid.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 08 Feb 2013, 12:39 pm

Captain - look mate, I think you've got the worng idea totally, and you probably won't change your opinion, and fair enough that is easy to do. However there is no malice at all. Have a look at a few of the other threads on here, there is an official Wales V England Banter thread etc. Some of us on here do actually take ourselves lightly, and have a laugh and a joke (try Random Factor Like A Tractor or something on the genreal rguby section).

But if you are easily offended, which you have come across as, then please don't come on here and start whinging, just ignore it and pay attention to the bits that interest you.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 08 Feb 2013, 1:04 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:But if you are easily offended, which you have come across as, then please don't come on here and start whinging, just ignore it and pay attention to the bits that interest you.

To be honest Scarlet this is actually a funny quote Very Happy

You logged onto 606 and started thread to have a moan about something you could have ignored.

In relation to fairweather fans I say let them off. I know for a fact that if Munster didn't make two Heineken Cup finals between 2000 and 2002 that I probably wouldn't have been captured by what rugby has to offer.

On the flip side there's an elderly bloke who's a season ticket holder at Munster. Lives out our direction. Heard him on the bus telling people that "Irelands problem is that we're trying to change too much. Should go back to Munster 1-10 and Leinster 11-15."

Now that bloke attends every game in Thomond Park and follows the local grassroots team too. One of most committed rugby fans I've seen. However that doesn't make what he said less stupid.

At various sporting events you'll have people who want to be involved in what's going on - like Olympics or Lance Armstrong cycling scandal. They read a bit about it and join in conversation. However they don't have all the facts so they say something silly - so what. Why get worked up about it.

I say relax and be happy they're showing an interest.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 08 Feb 2013, 1:27 pm

Staggy - yeah I ok, a bit of irony. But it was meant light hearted. We all hear things, and say things, that are actually quite amusing in their own way. Like that old boy you meantioned.

This thread is doomed for failure, it was meant as a light-hearted thread, where people could pop on some of the funnier lines that they have heard. I guess that it has suffered from the fact that when things are in print the tone and inflection (is that the right word?) are assumed by the reader, and something that is meant innocent enough can come across arguementative, or agressive, or just totally uninformed.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3