The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

v2 G.O.A.T Jordan vs. SRR The Rematch

+15
Hibbz
spencerclarke
Jeremy_Kyle
Spaghetti-Hans
dummy_half
JuliusHMarx
superflyweight
Duty281
Roller_Coaster
Mad for Chelsea
Poorfour
Diggers
mystiroakey
Stella
MtotheC
19 posters

Go down

Please vote for who you believe has achieved the most in sport and should progress to the last 16

v2 G.O.A.T Jordan vs. SRR The Rematch Vote_lcap52%v2 G.O.A.T Jordan vs. SRR The Rematch Vote_rcap 52% 
[ 44 ]
v2 G.O.A.T Jordan vs. SRR The Rematch Vote_lcap48%v2 G.O.A.T Jordan vs. SRR The Rematch Vote_rcap 48% 
[ 40 ]

Total Votes : 84

Poll closed

v2 G.O.A.T Jordan vs. SRR The Rematch Empty v2 G.O.A.T Jordan vs. SRR The Rematch

Post by MtotheC Mon 18 Feb 2013, 2:00 pm

After much consideration it has been decided that the fairest way to sort out the Jordan/SRR issue was to have a straight one on one rematch with the winner progressing into the next round.

It would not be fair on Wayne Gretzky who is scheduled to meet the winner to have to compete in a three way vote after making the last 16 fair and square.

Therefore please vote for who you believe has achieved the most in sport and should progress to the last 16

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

v2 G.O.A.T Jordan vs. SRR The Rematch Empty Re: v2 G.O.A.T Jordan vs. SRR The Rematch

Post by Stella Mon 18 Feb 2013, 2:37 pm

Isn't the person who allegedly cheated your system, still able to vote?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

v2 G.O.A.T Jordan vs. SRR The Rematch Empty Re: v2 G.O.A.T Jordan vs. SRR The Rematch

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Feb 2013, 2:50 pm

gone with jordon again..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 18 Feb 2013, 2:52 pm

Have to vote for this later, just busy setting up a few dummy accounts at the minute....

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Feb 2013, 2:55 pm

little devil

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 18 Feb 2013, 2:55 pm

Diggers wrote:Have to vote for this later, just busy setting up a few dummy accounts at the minute....

If we see one with (D)Trigger and Dave, suspicion will rise.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Feb 2013, 2:56 pm

I voted Jordan, again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 18 Feb 2013, 2:57 pm

Ive also voted for Jordan again.....and again.....and again....and again...... Run

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 18 Feb 2013, 3:19 pm

Can we do the same for Ed Moses and Daley Thompson and then re-run the winner against Maradona? I am pretty sure the outcome would be different.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 18 Feb 2013, 3:51 pm

tough call this one:

both seem to be undoubtedly considered the best of theirs sports. Both sports have fairly global levels of participation (or maybe had, in boxing's case). Would it be right to suggest Jordan is quite a bit above the next best in basketball terms? How far ahead of the second-best boxer is SRR? Why is he less well known to non-sports/boxing fans than Ali? what is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 18 Feb 2013, 4:09 pm

An African swallow?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 18 Feb 2013, 4:09 pm

I voted SRR...again.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 18 Feb 2013, 4:09 pm

Jordan.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 18 Feb 2013, 4:17 pm

How far ahead of the second-best boxer is SRR? Why is he less well known to non-sports/boxing fans than Ali? what is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Dealing with the questions in reverse order:

An African or European swallow?

A fairly complicated question with a number of factors - Ali fought when media started to go global/he was a symbol for the wider black rights movements/he took a political/religious stance against the Vietnam war/his fights were televised all over the world/the force of his personality/the heavweight division is viewed as the most glamorous.

Robinson is essentially the consensus number 1 pound for pound fighter of all time. It's hard to compare boxers across eras and weights but you'll find very few experts/historians who would pick anyone else as their number 1. In a sport where those that talk about it, generally disagree on a hell of a lot and where ranking fighters across different eras and weights involves a lot of subjectivity, its quite incredible that there is such an overwhelming consenus in favour of Robinson.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 18 Feb 2013, 4:25 pm

Diggers wrote:Have to vote for this later, just busy setting up a few dummy accounts at the minute....

As a Moderator, with prior notice of this re-run.....I set up all my duplicate accounts well in advance.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 18 Feb 2013, 4:28 pm

MfC

Certainly Jordan is by far the most famous NBA star and has the statistics and legacy to back up the hype - highest ppg average in both the regular season (30.12) and playoffs (even higher at 33.45 - that this is higher than his regular season record shows what a big game performer he was), plus 6 NBA titles with the Bulls in 91-93 and 96-98, noting MJ missed all of 94 and some of 95. Oh, and he was a very good defensive player too.

Sugar Ray Robinson seems to be incredibly well regarded by the boxing congniscenti here, and there seems little doubt that the consensus is that at his peak he was the best any weight fighter. As for how much ahead of the next best, it's difficult to know, because of the differences in weights and eras.

The question over SRR's profile by comparison with Ali is easier to answer - era (not many here old enough to have seen SRR, whereas Ali's biggest fights are within memory of some and are quite regularly rebroadcast) and media profile: Ali always talked a good fight, and indeed a good interview, plus had the controversy of the Vietnam draft avoidance and subsequent loss of his titles.

I voted for MJ last time on the grounds that he is slightly more clearly the basketball GOAT than SRR is the boxing GOAT, and because he had a level of fame that not only transcended his sport but which dragged its media profile up. Close call, and for me both certainly meritted going further in these discussions, but just a bad match up (heck, I'd rate both significantly ahead of Borg and Redgrave, who are H2H in the next round today)

I don't remember a Bugs Bunny film called 'Space Jab'... Wink

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaghetti-Hans Mon 18 Feb 2013, 5:14 pm

TME Press Release:

Due to the sensitive nature of this particular tie and on the advice of legal council, The Main Event Lads as presented by Spaghetti Hans, will not be exercising our democratic right to vote for either His Royal Airness, Michael Jordan, or for his opponent Salty Ray Robinson. We leave it in your hands.

Spaghetti-Hans

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Mon 18 Feb 2013, 6:11 pm

For me Jordan is probably the best candidate to win this poll. He's got everything: worldwide celebrity status, impressive career records, great class, charisma, telent and incredible athleticism. I don't understand the argument behind that all, really.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Mon 18 Feb 2013, 6:51 pm

Gone for SRR. Easier one for me than most found it. Need some more of the boxing board on here! :-)

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 18 Feb 2013, 7:20 pm

The fact that the only people who are likely to vote for SRR are ardent boxing fans makes it clear to me who the winner should be and that's Michael Jordan.

As I said in the original contest good as I'm sure Sugar Ray was he ain't Michael Fooking Jordan. Jordan is a god like genius.

I'd have been far happier were the re-vote to have been for the wild card where I still think Jahangir was done a disservice by spazzy hans and his bucket full of dinosaurs voting for Lebron James.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Feb 2013, 7:32 pm

If Jordan was a god like genius then Robinson is the god of all Gods, no comparison.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 18 Feb 2013, 7:36 pm

Im not an ardent boxing fan however I voted for S.R.R.

The fact that Jahingar Khan is not in this contest, combined with the fact that we have to even consider haveing a rematch, just goes to show how much Spaghands has ruined what could have been an excellant 606 exercise.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 19 Feb 2013, 7:40 am

Jordan again goes streaking ahread in the middle of the night.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Feb 2013, 7:44 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:If Jordan was a god like genius then Robinson is the god of all Gods, no comparison.

isnt a god's greatness measured by how many obbsesive fans they have..

in this case jordan wins

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 19 Feb 2013, 7:54 am

Looks like SRR has suffered from being from an age when not all his fights were televised.

The amount of fights fought and won over such a time period is incredible, once you take into account his opposition and the activity across the weight divisions then it become incomparable.

For those that voted for jordan, fair play to you but if you didnt know much about ray then I suggest you read a little about him as its a fascinating story

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 19 Feb 2013, 9:00 am

isnt a god's greatness measured by how many obbsesive fans they have..

the only thing that meaures is how stupid, gullible and short-sighted the 'fans' are.

In this case jordan wins.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 19 Feb 2013, 9:54 am

Oh dear, SRR loses again. Can we move on now please.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Feb 2013, 9:57 am

re vote???

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 19 Feb 2013, 10:11 am

Just as a matter of interest, are there quite a few members of this forum who live in America or are Jordan fans in this country just nocturnal in nature?

When I checked the voting last night (about 21:30) I'm sure that Jordan and Ray were dead even on 32 votes each.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 19 Feb 2013, 10:33 am

I created about 5 accounts around 2am GMT. I just hate the boxing fans so much I couldn't resist.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaghetti-Hans Tue 19 Feb 2013, 3:07 pm

Rowley wrote:Jordan again goes streaking ahead in the middle of the night.

Isn't that just typical of MJ though?

How often were the Bulls locked in a tight battle only to surge ahead of their bewildered opposition in the 4th quarter, fueled by Jordan's clutch plays?

It's a mark of Jordan's superiority over Salty Ray Robinson that he KO'd Salty, not once, but twice. But, of course, Robinson is no stranger to defeat, having been beaten on a staggering 19 different occasions - we can take that tally to 21 now.

MJ 2-0 Salty

TME 2-0 606v2 Boxing

clap

Spaghetti-Hans

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 19 Feb 2013, 3:15 pm

Spaghetti-Hans wrote:

How often were the Bulls locked in a tight battle only to surge ahead of their bewildered opposition in the 4th quarter, fueled by Jordan's clutch plays?

It's a mark of Jordan's superiority over Salty Ray Robinson that he KO'd Salty, not once, but twice. But, of course, Robinson is no stranger to defeat, having been beaten on a staggering 19 different occasions - we can take that tally to 21 now.

MJ 2-0 Salty

TME 2-0 606v2 Boxing

clap
What's the collective noun for a group of morons?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 19 Feb 2013, 3:16 pm

superflyweight wrote:
Spaghetti-Hans wrote:

MJ 2-0 Salty

TME 2-0 606v2 Boxing

clap
What's the collective noun for a group of morons?

The boxing board ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 19 Feb 2013, 3:25 pm

I was only having a go at Hans but if you want to be like that, diggers - up your's!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 19 Feb 2013, 3:27 pm

I was only joshing mate, I even put the odd post up there myself, not that anyone ever replies as you are such a cliquey little bunch...... Wink

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 19 Feb 2013, 3:31 pm

I had assumed you were joking - hence why I didn't get the thesaurus out to look up insults that can get past the profanity filter!

Don't worry about the lack of responses, I very rarely get more than 4 responses to an article unless I mention Khan, Floyd or Manny.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 19 Feb 2013, 3:32 pm

I went with Jordan in the end, somewhat reluctantly as I believe both are very worthy contenders at this stage, but I think Jordan transcended his sport more. Apologies to the SRR fans (and boxing fans in general), this was a tough match-up, and the one I've had most trouble deciding on so far.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 19 Feb 2013, 6:33 pm

Anyone have an explanantion as to why the voter turnout for the Sugar Ray Robinson Versus Michael Jordan matchups are much higher than any other matches over the last couple of weeks?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 19 Feb 2013, 7:56 pm

By the way I joined 606 as primarily a football fan but found the section less debating and more favourism towards their own side. It was the boxing forum I found to be the most open to debate and a great place to learn things. I was always a fan of boxing before hand but ive discovered so many more fighters as a result of the huge amount of knowledge shared there. You get the odd fan boy but on the whole the people are fairly unbiased.

The football section is better on here than the old 606 but I dont feel the debates are that still that great and tends to have a more us against them aspect

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Wed 20 Feb 2013, 9:06 am

aucklandlaurie wrote: Anyone have an explanantion as to why the voter turnout for the Sugar Ray Robinson Versus Michael Jordan matchups are much higher than any other matches over the last couple of weeks?

Had a quick look into this and the average number of votes in all 38 matches so far throughout the torunament have been 78. So the votes received in this match are not that more than the overall trend.

For example, yesterday's match drew 91 votes, group 7 in round 1- 88 votes, match 7 in round 2- 84 votes.

IMHO it depends weather the match captures the interest of casual goat viewer as to how many votes are cast, the die hard posters will vote regarless of the match up.

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down