The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why would Goldenboy make Trout v Alvarez now?

+2
bellchees
Seanusarrilius
6 posters

Go down

Why would Goldenboy make Trout v Alvarez now? Empty Why would Goldenboy make Trout v Alvarez now?

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:14 pm

This is being banded about for May 4th, and fair play if it gets made, but why would they make it now? Canelo v Floyd in September/ October time would be huge. Perhaps a passing of the torch, perhaps a nice pts victory for Floyd, but a massive money spinner. Trout proved versus Cotto just how skilled he is, and Canelo would be 50/50 to win this at best. Why would Goldenboy risk it unless they don't see Alvarez v Floyd being made?

Sad isn't it. I am writing an article that basically says don't make a unification fight. But the way the sport is these days, I have to ask.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Why would Goldenboy make Trout v Alvarez now? Empty Re: Why would Goldenboy make Trout v Alvarez now?

Post by bellchees Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:25 pm

I think Alvarez vs Floyd won't happen unfortunately. If Alvarez beats Trout then I just can't see Floyd taking a risk against him at this stage in his career (Although I didn't think he'd fight Guerrero either so what do I know), if Alvarez loses then the appeal of the fight is lost and he'll fight someone else.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Why would Goldenboy make Trout v Alvarez now? Empty Re: Why would Goldenboy make Trout v Alvarez now?

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:04 pm

bellchees wrote:I think Alvarez vs Floyd won't happen unfortunately. If Alvarez beats Trout then I just can't see Floyd taking a risk against him at this stage in his career (Although I didn't think he'd fight Guerrero either so what do I know), if Alvarez loses then the appeal of the fight is lost and he'll fight someone else.

I disagree.

Canelo is a huge Mexican box office name. Floyd is p4p king. Mosley took Canelo the distance. Floyd would fancy himself in that one I think.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Do you guys see Canelo getting by Trout if they fight. Also, Floyd is on Showtime now, interesting that he switched from HBO. Showtime must have spent a ton on it

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:30 pm

I don't know, Az, care to explain why?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:36 pm

Yep. They know Floyd wont go up (or remain at lmw). Do the best fight is trout. Plus they hope Cannie will win and hope for a big fight down the road with AN Other.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:37 pm

But, I thought that Alvarez's handlers wouldn't put him in with a live opponent Az? I thought they wouldn't put him in a 50/50 fight, supposedly from you "They won't put him in with Trout, they'll put him in with Cotto coming off of two losses to make him look good"

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Seems like a very clever marketing ploy by Goldenboy, stack a Mayweather card with potential opponents and upcoming fighters who are expected to take up his mantel once his retired.

Alvarez wins and it sets up a huge september fight with Mayweather but if he loses you can put him in with Guerrero who himself would be a possible future opponent for Broner. There are various ways you can go by having Broner, Maweather, Guerrero and Alvarez all on one card as well as the massive money it brings in. They have almost limitless options between lightweight and light middleweight so I can foresee some very exciting match ups.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:06 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:But, I thought that Alvarez's handlers wouldn't put him in with a live opponent Az? I thought they wouldn't put him in a 50/50 fight, supposedly from you "They won't put him in with Trout, they'll put him in with Cotto coming off of two losses to make him look good"

It shocked me too. Trout will win 10 rounds and lose the decision ny a landslide.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down