The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changes for Scotland

5 posters

Go down

Changes for Scotland Empty Changes for Scotland

Post by Liam Mon 25 Feb 2013, 3:26 pm

Interesting watching scrum v last listening to the respective pundits talking about possible changes for the Scotland game. I could see Gareth Llewellyns point about one eye on England but as soon as you look beyond the game that's up next, your asking for trouble. It wasn't long ago we had lost 8 on the bounce, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

There are a few selection dilemmas for the up and coming game against Scotland:

Second Row: AWJ/Coombs

I've been very impressed by Coombs, talk about wearing your heart of your sleeve. He hasn't shied away from the actions and has looked to carry the ball forward whenever possible. Although he's not your traditional back rower, for someone thrown into the deep end at International level he has done a fine job. However, you cannot over look the fact AWJ is a world class lock and is once again match fit. Its harsh on Coombs but he will have a good impact off the bench and Wales with AWJ and Ian Evans together are a stronger team.

Front Row: Jenkins/James

Much controversy over Jenkins selection over James at the start of the 6N, however against Italy and France he has been superb, just shows you how important game time really is. However, James has also made a good impact, particularly when he came on against Italy. He's the stronger scrummager and we need a good platform in order to execute our game plan. With Jenkins maybe injured or not 100% for Scotland, i'd bring in James and hopefully Jenkins will be fit enough for the bench, where he can have an impact in the last 20 mins or so.

Hooker: Hibbard/Owens

2 hookers I really like, both mobile and both decent line out throwers. Hibbard has been good so far, bar a couple of shaky early line outs vs Italy he recovered well and is a monster in the scrum. Owens has also played well when coming off the bench and tbh I'd like it to stay that way. So far its worked so maybe not so much of a dilemma here.

Centre: Roberts/Williams (Or Hook)

Roberts has been good defensively (All be it a little quite vs France). He just hasn't shown enough going forward. I think Williams deserves his chance but as him and Davies have shown what a good partnership they are together. Calls for Hook to bring more creativity but after playing 10 all season I wouldn't want to see him messed around again. I think i'd stick with Roberts for now as I wouldn't like to tinker with a side who has got momentum back on their side.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Changes for Scotland Empty Re: Changes for Scotland

Post by 100%beefy Mon 25 Feb 2013, 4:14 pm

AWJ...you think so, he shoudl be the natural choice but has he ever really lived up to the world class hype...i liked Howley's balls out move of rewarding a winning side and though i thought his announcment was early i still think you give Coombs - who plays like Gough - the start with a fairly awesome bench option

Jenkins....you are right game time and fitness, he offers more for me and James warms the bench

Owens...I like him, good carrier...Hibberd promises much and doesn't deliver...I want to see our lineout improve 1000%

Williams over Roberts....JR needs a kick in the )(*7 to get him back on track...problem is he is key to our gameplan.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 4:20 pm

You need a scrum half who can pass the ball quickly. Not the lumbering numpty that is Phillips. Laidlaw will just take the urine out of him all game

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Mon 25 Feb 2013, 4:27 pm

I want Dwayne Peel back

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 4:30 pm

I reckon if Williams plays your backs danger factor is doubled. Phillips spends so much time fannying about in the rucks and his pass is sloppy, slow and inaccurate.

Look at the difference he (williams) has made when he has played. Wales have always come to life in the 2nd half when Williams is on.... coincidence?

Once Howler has learned this I reckon Wales will be come a much stronger team, and they are already pretty damn strong.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Mon 25 Feb 2013, 4:34 pm

Well you would think the ex 9 would know wouldn't you and i don't disgree, in fact as time goes on it gets worse...but MP is a game changer...thinking of various games when he has made tries. That said it makes sense to me to bring him on in the last 30 when the game opens up, gaps around rucks etc. Problem is LW has not really made an impact and TK likewise

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 4:36 pm

the thing with Philips is you see what he does - the runs and the tackles and think "great" - however it swhat he doesn't do - get the ball to the backs quickly that is the problem. he is really handicapping Wales ATM IMO

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Mon 25 Feb 2013, 4:37 pm

TJ wrote:the thing with Philips is you see what he does - the runs and the tackles and think "great" - however it swhat he doesn't do - get the ball to the backs quickly that is the problem. he is really handicapping Wales ATM IMO

Well i wonder sometimes if old Gats wants slower service as it suits the bang it up strategy...why can't we get back to lightning rugby, tempo, offlaod, snipe etc a la Peel

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 25 Feb 2013, 8:50 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if AWJ was not given the nod against Scotland actually. Nothing to do with rugby, he's got a lot on his plate personally at the moment. thumbsup
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Mon 25 Feb 2013, 9:09 pm

Glas a du wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if AWJ was not given the nod against Scotland actually. Nothing to do with rugby, he's got a lot on his plate personally at the moment. thumbsup

What?

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down