The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nadal - Del Po Funny Exhibition match on

+6
TRuffin
HM Murdock
The Special Juan
laverfan
socal1976
invisiblecoolers
10 posters

Go down

nadal - Del Po Funny Exhibition match on Empty nadal - Del Po Funny Exhibition match on

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 05 Mar 2013, 2:56 am

nadal - Del Po Funny Exhibition match on

Del Po leading 1st set 4-3, here is the link for it

88.80.5.80/w00t/20130304/vv51350289dd5d5795060245-536704.html[/b]

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

nadal - Del Po Funny Exhibition match on Empty Re: nadal - Del Po Funny Exhibition match on

Post by socal1976 Tue 05 Mar 2013, 4:03 am

Saw some of it on ESpn, del po is really a nice guy, Nadal picked Ben stiller to be a temporary doubles partner del po picked a 8 year old girl who was remarkable for 4 or 5 shots she couldn't miss, then Del PO lifted her up in his arms and gave her the head band. Very good for the sport.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

nadal - Del Po Funny Exhibition match on Empty Re: nadal - Del Po Funny Exhibition match on

Post by laverfan Tue 05 Mar 2013, 12:20 pm

ESPN3 has the replay up. Will catch later today.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 05 Mar 2013, 4:58 pm

I've just watched the last 20 minutes. Nadal's looking happy to be back (duh) and DelPo is also in high spirits. His voice is very odd though; even though I've heard him speak before it always surprises me as he sounds nothing like what I think he should sound like.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 05 Mar 2013, 5:30 pm

socal1976 wrote:Saw some of it on ESpn, del po is really a nice guy, Nadal picked Ben stiller to be a temporary doubles partner del po picked a 8 year old girl who was remarkable for 4 or 5 shots she couldn't miss, then Del PO lifted her up in his arms and gave her the head band. Very good for the sport.

Del Po took the exhibition way too seriously at the start and at the end and smacked some breath taking winners, Nadal was bit casual and the doubles part in between was so fun.

Yea Socal, I hope you enjoyed the lovely little tennis by the little girl, her double hand off- backhand was magnificent. thumbsup

A very fun match indeed.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 05 Mar 2013, 5:41 pm

I did it was nice, here is an interesting tidbit, supposedly Nadal got 1.5 million for showing up and playing tha exho, at least that is what the NY times is reporting. What? that is freaking ridiculous money for a night's work. More signs that tennis is in a very good place financially for the moment.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 05 Mar 2013, 5:42 pm

Yes invisible both guys were smiling and having fun and the fans were really taking to it, good for the game for the players to show their personality and their humanity in my opinion.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 05 Mar 2013, 5:43 pm

socal1976 wrote:I did it was nice, here is an interesting tidbit, supposedly Nadal got 1.5 million for showing up and playing tha exho, at least that is what the NY times is reporting. What? that is freaking ridiculous money for a night's work. More signs that tennis is in a very good place financially for the moment.

Tennis is a damn rich sport now, specifically at the highest of echo-leans .RF would have had similar money had he turned up but he still refused to turn up coz he already has enough for 10 generations. Laugh

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 05 Mar 2013, 6:11 pm

socal1976 wrote:I did it was nice, here is an interesting tidbit, supposedly Nadal got 1.5 million for showing up and playing tha exho, at least that is what the NY times is reporting. What? that is freaking ridiculous money for a night's work. More signs that tennis is in a very good place financially for the moment.

Any word on what DelPo received money-wise?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 05 Mar 2013, 6:49 pm

The Special Juan wrote:I've just watched the last 20 minutes. Nadal's looking happy to be back (duh) and DelPo is also in high spirits. His voice is very odd though; even though I've heard him speak before it always surprises me as he sounds nothing like what I think he should sound like.
He should sound like Lurch from The Addams Family.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 05 Mar 2013, 8:22 pm

The Special Juan wrote:

No but hell you get almost the same money as a slam to go on court for 90 minutes? I am sure del po got a fraction of that but so what, it isn't like he worked more than a day and just travelled there. If someone could find out though it would be interesting to see the discrepancy in star power.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Tue 05 Mar 2013, 9:37 pm

The Special Juan wrote:

The attendance had to be disapointing though- 15000 + but they sold out at 22000 last year for the Federer/roddick Expo.
The rich seats behind the baseline were half full and upper decks bare last night.. I was there last year and it was packed to the gills... Good indication of who is the biggest draw in tennis :-).... that andy roddick fellow... maybe Fed helped sell a few tickets too!

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 05 Mar 2013, 10:24 pm

Well Roddick is also an American and very popular in New york Ruffin, the second act was much more star studded. Plus you never know on the east coast was there a big storm or something that could have impact as well. But certainly federer is the biggest draw in the sport, nobody questions that but I would say Nadal is not that far off, I think a lot of younger fans actually might like Nadal for his style more.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Wed 06 Mar 2013, 4:06 am

no perfect weather after weeks of storm..

clearly last year was a bigger draw.. the only bigger draw would be fed/nadal togethrt or fed in rematch with sampras-- here in usa.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 06 Mar 2013, 8:46 am

Nice review of Nadal in New York and current status...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/05/sports/tennis/for-nadal-a-new-test-for-his-injured-knee.html?_r=0
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 06 Mar 2013, 8:54 am

From that link :-
Charlie Pasarell, a former tournament director at Indian Wells, conceded that Nadal’s extraordinarily physical style of play might force him to skip hardcourt tournaments.

“There isn’t a tennis ball hit on the court that he doesn’t go after,” Pasarell said. “It is hard. It is hard on anybody’s knees. "

No Charlie, it's not his style of play - that's not a contributary factor Wink

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 06 Mar 2013, 3:40 pm

Julius are you suggesting that other players on tour don't go after every ball, and that only NAdal hustles that much and therefore gets injured?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 06 Mar 2013, 3:43 pm

No, I just think that Nadal's style of play is more physically demanding than many other players.
I realise that no-one else has ever said that before Wink

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 06 Mar 2013, 4:11 pm

What makes Nadal's style of play particularly demanding is that he wins. It would be a whole lot easier on his body if he wasn't so good. The problem is he nearly always gets to the semi's or finals of every tournament he enters.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 06 Mar 2013, 4:28 pm

Yes and Djokovic and federer have been getting deep in tournaments consistently for years at a time and neither have suffered the leg injuries Nadal has, so I also don't buy your explanation hawkeye. I think he just has a more susceptibility to leg problems, I have seen a lot of athletes that are just more prone to injury.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 06 Mar 2013, 4:37 pm

Nadal does have physical problems but I was talking about what makes his game physically demanding. That is down to his win/loss ratio.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 06 Mar 2013, 4:41 pm

He's a victim of success...but he's also a victim to his feet.
Djokovic plays v.nearly just as physically but is injury free.
Likewise Ferrer...injury free.
Nadal is injured all the time since 2004...after he broke that tarsal bone.
Doesn't take Einstein to work it out...
Anyway, lets not go there again though, its been done to death.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 06 Mar 2013, 4:48 pm

lydian wrote:He's a victim of success...but he's also a victim to his feet.

Agreed. It doesn't take Einstein or Pasarell to figure it out Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 06 Mar 2013, 4:55 pm

Ex-players are always the most knowledgeable.
Especially Borg for example.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 06 Mar 2013, 5:06 pm

They're all knowledgeable when they agree with our own thinking and not at all knowledgeable when they don't. Human nature.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 06 Mar 2013, 5:57 pm

Yes human nature. But I also refer to guys like McEnroe who say different guys are the GOAT after a slam win, or Borg who incorrectly pick slams winners each time, or Wilander saying guys like Federer had no cojones, or even practical things like Todd Martin changing Djokovic's serve.

Its not all about their opinion matching ours...often its simply theirs, and often its wrong or spoken without full knowledge of the facts. Just because they're great ex-players, it doesn't embue them with never wrong opinions on the game at large.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 06 Mar 2013, 6:09 pm

Very true about mcenroe and in regards to the fiasco with djoko's serve, under todd's tutelage, I remember jeremy bates said that the work djoko had done with him in 09/10 had contributed to his amazing form in '11! Doh

I do think wilander is a good pundit though, overall.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 06 Mar 2013, 6:14 pm

Indeed luvsports, he almost knackered Djokovic's serve completely by messing with the trophy position.

Agree Wilander gives good commentary and I like listening to his analysis - he's a very good coach too - but like all of them he can be wrong.
Coming back full circle, Pasarell's are a generality based on what he now knows to be true. You could apply his statement to Djokovic who also chases every ball and yet hasn't got knackered knees. How much does Pasarell even know about Nadal's history of foot problems and corrective orthotics that misalign his legs before making a sweeping statement like that?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 06 Mar 2013, 6:20 pm

lydian wrote:He's a victim of success...but he's also a victim to his feet.

I wasn't trying to go there I was attempting to go somewhere else.

Nadal plays a lot of matches because he wins. So do Djokovic and Federer. But just looking at Djokovic because they are similar ages. What are they 8/9 months different in age? Nadal has missed more than that through injury if you combine his absence in 2009 and 2012. Yet his win loss ratio is 595/123 (718 matches). Djokovic is 482/123 (605 matches) That's a big difference in matches in the circumstances and indicates how much more work his knees have had to do. This of course is independent to their differences in physique (including congenital problems or weaknesses) or playing style.

Off topic but just noticed they both have 123 losses but Nadal 113 more wins. Also noticed Nadal is very near 600 wins.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 06 Mar 2013, 6:24 pm

lydian wrote:How much does Pasarell even know about Nadal's history of foot problems and corrective orthotics that misalign his legs before making a sweeping statement like that?

I've been told it's very common knowledge Very Happy

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 06 Mar 2013, 6:43 pm

It was common knowledge before Pasarell made his comments. But why let this knowledge get in the way of ex-player generality.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 06 Mar 2013, 6:53 pm

lydian wrote:Indeed luvsports, he almost knackered Djokovic's serve completely by messing with the trophy position.

Agree Wilander gives good commentary and I like listening to his analysis - he's a very good coach too - but like all of them he can be wrong.
Coming back full circle, Pasarell's are a generality based on what he now knows to be true. You could apply his statement to Djokovic who also chases every ball and yet hasn't got knackered knees. How much does Pasarell even know about Nadal's history of foot problems and corrective orthotics that misalign his legs before making a sweeping statement like that?

I agree just because someone has the credentials doesn't mean they are always right, or can be well informed on every issue in their area of expertise. Don't remind of the dark days of 09 and 2010, I honestly believe we would have seen Djoko's emergence two years earlier if not for Martin playing with his serve which shot his confidence almost totally even in other areas of the game. You know this lydian as a player, when you are not confident in your serve it can throw off other parts of your game as well. It is hard to lose a service game with 2 or three doubles in one game and then just turn it off and focus on your next return game, the human mind doesn't work that way.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 06 Mar 2013, 6:55 pm

Giving Martin credit for Djokovic's success in 2011 is like giving an arsonist credit for the fire being put out. All due respect to Martin he was a pretty good player and a nice guy, but he took a big risk with Djoko and it blew up in everyone's face. You don't just change a service motion while ranked #3 in the world, credit to the rest of his game that with the worst serve in the top 50 he managed to finish #3 two years running.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down