The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bye Bye Burns...Warren now well & truly finished!

+9
sweet_pea
azania
eddyfightfan
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Mr Bounce
TheMackemMawler
jimdig
spencerclarke
owen10ozzy
13 posters

Go down

Bye Bye Burns...Warren now well & truly finished! Empty Bye Bye Burns...Warren now well & truly finished!

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 07 Mar 2013, 9:00 pm

Well it has been confirmed that Ricky Burns has split from promoter Frank Warren just a week since the long time British promoter lost another one of his stable George Groves. In what is a huge and most likely final crushing blow to Warren, Burn's manager has stated that it was with regret but that he felt the Vasquez fight was never going to happen...quite telling when people within the circle can't trust Frank to stay true to his word.

Whilst losing Groves was obviously a blow this departure will be the real loss for Frank given the position Ricky is currently in. A world champion in an exciting division with options and the ability to step up a division to.

I did an article a few months back about Eddie Hearn and how I felt it was only a matter of time before the Boxnation lot jumped ship due to the fantastic work he has done in the short time he has been on scene...for me the loss of Ricky Burns is the final nail in the coffin and I fully expect to see Boxnation fold within the next 6 months and see Cleverly depart within a matter of months.

I can't say i am to bothered should that happen as I think Frank has been a huge part of the problem within boxing in the past few years on these shores.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Bye Bye Burns...Warren now well & truly finished! Empty Re: Bye Bye Burns...Warren now well & truly finished!

Post by spencerclarke Thu 07 Mar 2013, 9:32 pm

I'm really pleased for Ricky Burns as I think he has been held back for too long. He is in his peak and deserves to get the big fights that I think his talent deserves.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Bye Bye Burns...Warren now well & truly finished! Empty Re: Bye Bye Burns...Warren now well & truly finished!

Post by jimdig Thu 07 Mar 2013, 10:08 pm

I'm happy burns is away from warren too. I would disagree with him beung held back though, of all of warrens stable he is the only guy that has seen some proper action. I think The Vazquez fight would have come off if Frank hadn't been broke (don't buy into the excuses).

Burns is the sort of guy that could fit in with Goldenboy, It would tie in nicely with Broner, probably Hennessey though.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Thu 07 Mar 2013, 10:35 pm

Warren losing his names might make him take stock and get back to basics.... sign some young talent and put shows on to rival Prizefighter Welterweights 3. Sometimes it makes sense to match the "unknowns" in equal fights against stylistic rivals that mesh.

Surely that's the way to garner new fans?

Unfortunately for Warren he's lost his "stars" and Boxnation doesn't have the ability to appeal to the genreal sports fan. Lets hope he secures every major overseas bout. However that makes him a procurer of assets more than a promoter.

Most sports fans aren't tell their Quigg from their Frampton.

A single boxing "name" doesn't guarantee long terms fans, rather, more often than not, it brings general sports fans into the game for the length of fighters career......on retirement, goodbye.

Protected names eventually get found out; and upon exposure the general fan is never to be seen again.

Great fights between relative unknowns on accessible channels on a regular basis help to bring in F1, football, golf, darts, and ruby fans, and on a more permanent basis. The public (and the fighters) are not stupid..... Warren is finding that out.

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 08 Mar 2013, 7:48 am

I think it's about time. One man with a monopoly on Boxing was always going to finish up on the scrapheap, especially with the more recent garbage he was kicking out.

The casual fan won't bother to watch names they haven't heard of and the more hardcore fans won't watch no-names against so-called champions.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:15 am

I agree sports fans don't/won't set out to watch fights between unknowns.

However, if good fights between equal unknowns are shown on accessible channels, and on a regular basis, when the sports fan surfs... she might just catch a good fight. Words spreads and boxing flourishes.

Well at least in an ideal world.

Last edited by TheMackemMawler on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:43 am

Unfortunately I doubt that'll work

Obviously those that are hardcore will love the young guys going at it, but as its. A subscription channel, few people will pay the monthly fee if all they are going to see are small names who are far off world level or they could go and see live without having to fork out the big bucks like you would world title fights. The names bring the casuals, the support cards give value for money

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:44 am

"Accessible channels" should of hinted toward the fact I didn't mean subscription channels.

"Well at least in an ideal world" should have alluded to the fact that the idea was quixotic.

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 08 Mar 2013, 1:26 pm

im happy for burns, but why do his fighters have such an easy time leaving him? doesnt he have contracts for a set amount of fights with he fighters? i wouldn't have thought guys like groves and burns would be able to leave him that easily?

can anyone clear that up?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 08 Mar 2013, 1:28 pm

Perhaps he can't afford to take legal action. DeGale took a while before he was free from Warren.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 08 Mar 2013, 1:32 pm

azania wrote:Perhaps he can't afford to take legal action. DeGale took a while before he was free from Warren.

if thats the case then frank really is in dire straits, if he cannot afford to stop his fighters leaving then he is powerless to stop it. i know recently he has been forced to pay court costs to matchroom for a case he has halted so your probably right.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Fri 08 Mar 2013, 6:36 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:im happy for burns, but why do his fighters have such an easy time leaving him? doesnt he have contracts for a set amount of fights with he fighters? i wouldn't have thought guys like groves and burns would be able to leave him that easily?

can anyone clear that up?

in george groves case, he had a clause in the contract stating he could leave if he wasnt paid up front for any fight.
i'm guessing (and im guessing here) that brook, degale, burns all had clauses in the contracts, similar to groves. in degales case, warren breached the contract by not keeping him as active as written in the contract.

nonito donaire tried bolting to goldenboy because he thought TR breached the contract, stating he wasnt getting 3/4 fights per year, but TR had got him the fights which got cancelled or delayed or something.
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Fri 08 Mar 2013, 7:33 pm

Theres a video on youtube of me getting utterly outclassed, would be a start haha.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by KP4959 Fri 08 Mar 2013, 7:57 pm

Just seen Frank Warren has posted a email from Top Rank 's Sean Gibbons saying fight is still on basically: http://www.frankwarren.com/news/press-releases/2013/03/08/further-documents-released-ibf-confirm-vazquez-agreement-to-fight-burns.html

Boxing Scene just tweeted this aswell :Based on some of the legal docs that I've seen, Ricky Burns is not running to a new promoter as fast as his manager thinks.

BoxNation also keep saying fight is still on, confusing situation!

KP4959

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Fri 08 Mar 2013, 8:42 pm

Well Kevin Mitchell has a new story up on the guardian site...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/mar/08/frank-warren-contracts?mobile-redirect=false

Whatever Groves had in his contract that allowed him to walk with Warren wishing him well is clearly not the same for Burns.

Think Warren may have been written off a little prematurely in some quarters!

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Fri 08 Mar 2013, 8:44 pm

Added to the story from Goldenboy saying that they've not spoken to Burns and they wouldn't approach contracted fighters....

Burns' manager might have hit the button a bit early!

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 08 Mar 2013, 8:46 pm

Laugh

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down