The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on Wales selection for next weekend?

+13
Shifty
Glas a du
bedfordwelsh
wales606
majesticimperialman
glamorganalun
dragonbreath
maestegmafia
Dontheman
RubyGuby
Casartelli
Luckless Pedestrian
lostinwales
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Thoughts on Wales selection for next weekend? Empty Thoughts on Wales selection for next weekend?

Post by maestegmafia Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:10 am

Rather an exciting culmination of events, a turn of form post first fifty minutes of this championship, a resurgent Italy and suddenly retaining our title as champs not chumps looks possible, maybe even likely ???

Injury wise Ryan Jones is a huge concern he has been talismanic ths year, though as a replacement skipper and flanker Warburton has proved to the public form is temporary but class is a permenent gift.

So, front row looks to be fine, I am not sure whether Geth has recovered but James had a good game it would be hard to swap him out...

AWJ proved his selection, he was immense Coombs will have to stay on the bench.

Backrow, I am kinda keen to see tips and warbs combo... Though if Ryan is able to play I would keep this weekends starting backrow. Other option might be Shingler in for Ryan.

Backline went well, no need for change there, though options are always worth discussion.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Wales selection for next weekend? Empty Re: Thoughts on Wales selection for next weekend?

Post by lostinwales Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:12 am

Coombs in instead of Ryan?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Wales selection for next weekend? Empty Re: Thoughts on Wales selection for next weekend?

Post by maestegmafia Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:13 am

Nice article on Martyn Williams thoughts on AWJ captaining the side if Ryan's not fit, to ease pressure on Sam building his game back to where it was.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21737501

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:14 am

I'd love to see us start with Tipuric and Warburton (was it a coincidence that Warburton flourished when Tipuric came on?), but would we be a bit underpowered in the tight? It looks like Ben Morgan will be back for England, which is huge for them, and I think we'll need Ryan Jones at 6.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:24 am

This may not be an opinion shared by many down Newport way, but I'd go for Warbs, Ryans and Tips.

Fals is an excellent player and will enjoy a long test career, but him and Tips are Jacks of Clubs and Spades, two sides of the same finesse coin, and we'd benefit from as much beef as poss against the mighty English orcs.

Won't happen though, so Howls likely to pick the same as against Scotland if all fit and well.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:26 am

If Ryan is injured we need a big 6, Coombs is an option there as he is a powerful and agressive unit and I'd prefer him to Shingler at the moment. I'd prefer to keep this game tight and am not keen on Warbs and Tipuric starting together. God we could do with Lydiate in there thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:31 am

Forgot about Lydiate. If he's able to jog then I'd play him.

Lydiate, Ryan and Warbs together would frighten the living daylights out of the English backrow - even with Ben Morgan (who should be playing for us!)

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:42 am

Casartelli wrote:This may not be an opinion shared by many down Newport way, but I'd go for Warbs, Ryans and Tips.

Fals is an excellent player and will enjoy a long test career, but him and Tips are Jacks of Clubs and Spades, two sides of the same finesse coin, and we'd benefit from as much beef as poss against the mighty English orcs.

Won't happen though, so Howls likely to pick the same as against Scotland if all fit and well.

Most likely is that Ryan is out therefor we need Toby, I am almost amazed that anyone suggested dropping him with the form he is in, the lad is absolutely superb.

Certainly if Ryan Jones was to recover enough to play, I would not have him out of position and recently recovered, rather him in position and playing with Faletau and Warburton in the best backrow we have picked this year.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:50 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Casartelli wrote:This may not be an opinion shared by many down Newport way, but I'd go for Warbs, Ryans and Tips.

Most likely is that Ryan is out therefor we need Toby, I am almost amazed that anyone suggested dropping him with the form he is in, the lad is absolutely superb.

Certainly if Ryan Jones was to recover enough to play, I would not have him out of position and recently recovered, rather him in position and playing with Faletau and Warburton in the best backrow we have picked this year.

Lydiate, Jones, Warburton would be my first choice (especially against England where playing our three physically strongest players would be of benefit), but it's fine margins between any of them. Of all the 6N games though, this is one where a finesse player (Faletau/Tipuric) adds least value.

Won't happen though; it will be Jones, Faletau, Warbs if fit and Warbs, Faletau, Tipuric if not.

Hopefully Ben Morgan has a few twinges in training.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:52 am

Toby is the most powerful and physical back row player we have IMO and is doing a lot of the hard graft at the moment - Having a good 6 Nations to say the least. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:53 am

Casartelli wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Lydiate, Jones, Warburton would be my first choice (especially against England where playing our three physically strongest players would be of benefit), but it's fine margins between any of them. Of all the 6N games though, this is one where a finesse player (Faletau/Tipuric) adds least value.

Won't happen though; it will be Jones, Faletau, Warbs if fit and Warbs, Faletau, Tipuric if not.

Hopefully Ben Morgan has a few twinges in training.

Sorry you'll have to expand on why you don't want toby Faletau in the team? Your post still doesn't make any sense.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 11 Mar 2013, 11:07 am

MM - "Sorry you'll have to expand on why you don't want Toby Faletau in the team? Your post still doesn't make any sense."

It does to the visionaries out there.

Anyway, point is, last time we played a big, powerful (on form) pack, O'Mahoney. O'Brien et al carried the ball forward at will. They just smashed us out of the way. England also big & strong. Thus, it will happen again. Best chance of stopping them is playing our strongest backrow.

Don't try and insinuate that I am criticising Faletau - I said he's an excellent player who will have a long test career, who will almost certainly start against England, despite my repeated texts to Howley on the matter.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Mar 2013, 11:26 am

RubyGuby wrote:Toby is the most powerful and physical back row player we have IMO and is doing a lot of the hard graft at the moment - Having a good 6 Nations to say the least. thumbsup

Unless you listen to him. He'll probably still be giving himself a 5/10. I think he has to start, as I worry a little with Ryan's upright running. I'll quite gladly see Toby (and Coombsy) having some bench time though, so they're fresher for a certain game the following week.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 11 Mar 2013, 12:55 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:Toby is the most powerful and physical back row player we have IMO and is doing a lot of the hard graft at the moment - Having a good 6 Nations to say the least. thumbsup

Unless you listen to him. He'll probably still be giving himself a 5/10. I think he has to start, as I worry a little with Ryan's upright running. I'll quite gladly see Toby (and Coombsy) having some bench time though, so they're fresher for a certain game the following week.

I agree with Ruby, most consistent performing backrower we have.

I think Coombs will stay on the bench. He's been great in this campaign but not done enough to oust AWJ, who I thought was superb on Saturday.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 11 Mar 2013, 12:56 pm

Coombs for Ryan Maest if he's unfit. If England go with Croft maybe we could have Warbs and Tips thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 11 Mar 2013, 12:59 pm

When's the team announced, does anyone know? I'd be interested to know when England name theirs too.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 11 Mar 2013, 1:02 pm

Not sure when the team is announced. I wouldn't want Ryan unless a hundred percent fit. I think Coombs is seen as a lock not a blindside.

Shingler has been excellent the last few weeks. If we were not to start with Warburton and Tipuric, I'd like to see him brought back in.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Mon 11 Mar 2013, 1:26 pm

Any thoughts on Roberts being subbed for the last 10? I was surprised because I can't remember it happening this 6N. Was he pooped needing to get to the library or do they see an enlarged role for S.Williams. If not what was the point of throwing him on so late. Maybe it's mind games. N

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 11 Mar 2013, 1:29 pm

thumbsup Hasn't Roberts been taken off before this match? Change shoul have come after 60, 50 mins even

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 11 Mar 2013, 1:54 pm

He put in a massive charge prior to Hibbards try.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:11 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:When's the team announced, does anyone know? I'd be interested to know when England name theirs too.

LP Mate,

I have had a read around and cant find when they have agreed to announce the team so i guess it will be a late one at the end of the week as they await injury news on Gethin and Ryan.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:14 pm

It's tended to be on the Thursday before Saturday games, so that's when I'd expect the side to be announced. That's a long time to wait!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:14 pm

Gethin is fine thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:22 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Gethin is fine thumbsup

Apparently so...!

Howley said, "There was encouraging news on prop Gethin Jenkins, who sat out the over Scotland with a calf injury. The calf has improved over the last week and we're still hopeful that he will be fit for selection [against England],"

Tough call vs Paul James who was very good against the Scots.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:22 pm

I'd stick with James thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:35 pm

Its a tough call, James will handle Cole in the Scrum alright, but Gethin is a monster in the loose, great with the turnovers. That said James carrying in the loose was superb, always made yards.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:36 pm

The main change I would make would be to tell Biggar to stand in the same post code as Phillips. He is so deep Phillips needs binoculars to see him. No doubt this is under orders, but we will not win next week unless he steps up. England are not Scotland and we will need to score tries. Two of our tries have been the result of kicks, JDs try being especially lucky.

If we want to win we have to exploit Englands defensive weaknesess and they are out wide not down the middle. If that means we have to miss out Roberts to get it wide then just do it. I really hope that Howley now that his job is safe has the gonads to vary the game plan, he is after all supposed to be a backs coach. The way we play at the moment is unbelieveably dull. I am not so much surprised that we have only scored only 5 tries, I am surprised that we have actually scored that many. What Mark Jones is doing I have no idea, he is a waste of a seat on the bus.

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:55 pm

I would go with Coombes at 6 or even better King if R Jones is not fit, King plays 6 at the Ospreys , the Scarlets boys are too weak when against against a big back row, e.g., the Ireland game. If we play two 7's from the start the whole pack will struggle and England will win.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:57 pm

dragonbreath wrote:The main change I would make would be to tell Biggar to stand in the same post code as Phillips. He is so deep Phillips needs binoculars to see him. No doubt this is under orders, but we will not win next week unless he steps up. England are not Scotland and we will need to score tries. Two of our tries have been the result of kicks, JDs try being especially lucky.

If we want to win we have to exploit Englands defensive weaknesess and they are out wide not down the middle. If that means we have to miss out Roberts to get it wide then just do it. I really hope that Howley now that his job is safe has the gonads to vary the game plan, he is after all supposed to be a backs coach. The way we play at the moment is unbelieveably dull. I am not so much surprised that we have only scored only 5 tries, I am surprised that we have actually scored that many. What Mark Jones is doing I have no idea, he is a waste of a seat on the bus.

I thought our attacking play vs the scots was good in parts. We created a few good opportunities and the confidence of a winning side has been very beneficial to our patience with phase play. The main reason for not getting more tries was more to do with Joubert's enjoyment of blowing his whistle rather than letting people play rugby.

More carding earlier for persistent infringing would have been a massive boost for the game as a spectacle.

some of the tries we have scored in the backs have been very good. Cuthbert's vs Italy springs to mind.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Mar 2013, 5:27 pm

15. Halfpenny
14. Cuthers
13. Davies
12. Williams
11. North
10. Biggar
9. Phillips
8. Faletau
7. Tipuric
6. Warburton
5. Evans
4. Jones
3. Jones
2. Hibbard
1. James

16. Owens
17. Jenkins
18. Coombes
19. Mitchell
20. Shingler
21. Hook
22. Roberts
23. Ll Williams

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 11 Mar 2013, 5:40 pm

IronMike wrote:15. Halfpenny
14. Cuthers
13. Davies
12. Williams
11. North
10. Biggar
9. Phillips
8. Faletau
7. Tipuric
6. Warburton
5. Evans
4. Jones
3. Jones
2. Hibbard
1. James

16. Owens
17. Jenkins
18. Coombes
19. Mitchell
20. Shingler
21. Hook
22. Roberts
23. Ll Williams

What is the story with Mitchell, he wasnt used last weekend, we selected Andrews as cover for Adam. Has he picked up a knock?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 11 Mar 2013, 6:12 pm

Wales should have Gethin Jenkins fit and ready for Saturday’s Six Nations title shootout with England, but Ryan Jones remains a major doubt for the tournament finale.

Skipper Jones is due to have a scan today on the shoulder injury that saw him replaced after 48 minutes of the 28-18 win against Scotland this weekend.

While Jones has not been ruled out yet, the flanker could be seen wincing in pain as he left the pitch, with recovery for a match in five days time a huge ask.

Jones was seen with his arm in a sling as the team boarded a flight from Edinburgh on Sunday.

There is, however, better news on the fitness front for prop Jenkins, who missed the trip to Murrayfield with a calf strain.

Wales defence coach Shaun Edwards today revealed Jenkins is back in training, and the Toulon loosehead now looks set to battle it out with Paul James for the Wales number one shirt.

Edwards said at Monday’s media briefing: “Gethin is back in training and Ryan is having a scan now.

“We will have a look at Gethin throughout the week and up his training as it goes along.

“With Ryan, we will have to wait and see what the results say.

“At this point, I have no idea if he will be fit to play.”

Edwards admitted he is relishing the prospect of a final day title decider, with England bidding for their first Grand Slam in a decade.

And the Welsh defensive guru insisted all the pressure is on Stuart Lancaster’s men.

“The pressure is on them because they haven’t won a Grand Slam for 10 years.

“It is great that we will have a good end to the Six Nations.

“We have experience of Grand Slam games and a World Cup semi-final so hopefully that will work in our favour.

“The way they beat the All Blacks gave them a lot of kudos and made them the favourites at the start of the Six Nations and they will be the favourites on Saturday."

The straight-talking defence coach says Wales will build the platform for their championship shot around the solid defence that has been a success for them in the last decade, especially in the last three games, where Wales did not concede a single try on the road.

Former rugby league great Edwards said: “Our game plan will stay the same.

"We have to defend at our best and score as many points as we can when we have the ball.

“Things will change a bit at the end if we are three or four points ahead but in the first half our game-plan will be the same as it would have been.

“Our aim is to concede the fewest tries in the Six Nations as we did last year and hopefully that will give us the platform for the win we need.”

Read more: Wales Online http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2013/03/11/wales-fitness-update-gethin-jenkins-returns-but-ryan-jones-is-major-doubt-91466-32967144/#ixzz2NFwXPJGU

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Mon 11 Mar 2013, 6:40 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
dragonbreath wrote:The main change I would make would be to tell Biggar to stand in the same post code as Phillips. He is so deep Phillips needs binoculars to see him. No doubt this is under orders, but we will not win next week unless he steps up. England are not Scotland and we will need to score tries. Two of our tries have been the result of kicks, JDs try being especially lucky.

I thought our attacking play vs the scots was good in parts. We created a few good opportunities and the confidence of a winning side has been very beneficial to our patience with phase play. The main reason for not getting more tries was more to do with Joubert's enjoyment of blowing his whistle rather than letting people play rugby.

More carding earlier for persistent infringing would have been a massive boost for the game as a spectacle.

some of the tries we have scored in the backs have been very good. Cuthbert's vs Italy springs to mind.

Two of the 5 have been created so it can be done which is my point. You were happy with the Scotland game!!!!!, life must be all roses for a man that easy to please. It was rubbish man, possibly the worst game I have seen since the 80s

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:16 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:When's the team announced, does anyone know? I'd be interested to know when England name theirs too.

I believe England name their team on thursday.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:28 pm

Gethin to return at LHP,

Warbs and Tips on the flanks

If fit, Ryan could start at 6, im 50/50 - carrying a knock he may be better on the bench.

wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:39 pm

dragonbreath wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Two of the 5 have been created so it can be done which is my point. You were happy with the Scotland game!!!!!, life must be all roses for a man that easy to please. It was rubbish man, possibly the worst game I have seen since the 80s

My point was more that I don't think the bad points were the players fault. I thought the refereeing left a hell of a lot to be desired by any rugby fan. Too many silly and pedantic penalties from a man who lacks empathy with the game or the fans.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:53 pm

As I ahve said from the off, for me James has to start regardless of Jenkins' fitness.

Despite Cole struggling against France I think he would give Jenkins a torrid time.

For me that decision and the decision surrounding Jones' injury will be the only areas we will see any chnance in the starting line up

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:57 pm

Halfpenny, Cuthbert, Davies, Roberts, North, Biggar, Phillips

James, Hibbard, Jones, AWJ, Ianto, Coombes, Warburton, Faletau

Bevington, Owens, Mitchell, Shingler, Tipuric, Williams, Hook, Williams.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:59 pm

Glas,

As much as I like that backrow I do think that if Jones is injured then we will see a Warburton Faletau Tipuric combination.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:10 pm

Yes. I put up what I want not what I think I'll get! With Wood and Robshaw you would take a risk with two open sides.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:18 pm

I hope not, I prefer players not out of position i.e., they play at least 50% in the position selected for their clubs. It is fine coming on when on top but to start against England and not Scotland is a different challenge.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:20 pm

Glas copying my team again Whistle Pure plagiarism mate thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:21 pm

Great minds think of tripe Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:24 pm

I'd keep the starting team the same if possible.

And keep Tipuric to come off the bench as he did against Scotland.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:25 pm

Do Dragons play Coombs more at second row or 6?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:27 pm

We are bound to see a Tips and Warbs combo, I think. I also agree with the Beeb article (not read it), that Sam would be better off without the captaincy again, though I don't know if Howley will want to give it to somebody else if Ryan doesn't make it.

I am not sure that Coombs will ever be picked for Wales on the flank. I am delighted with what he does (on the whole), but he would be forced to alter his thinking again after converting to the second row and I'd rather have an out and out backrow v England.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:28 pm

Casartelli wrote:Do Dragons play Coombs more at second row or 6?

Lock

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:54 pm

Glas a du wrote:Halfpenny, Cuthbert, Davies, Roberts, North, Biggar, Phillips

Like the look of that! thumbsup

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:18 pm

I don't think Coombs would get Ryan's spot if Ryan is unfit.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:36 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:[quote="RubyGuby]Halfpenny, Cuthbert, Davies, Roberts, North, Biggar, Phillips

Like the look of that! thumbsup [/quote] thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next