The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dubs do it better with sticks!

+3
Gaelic-Warrior
sportydan
Cari
7 posters

Go down

Dubs do it better with sticks! Empty Dubs do it better with sticks!

Post by Cari Mon May 02, 2011 8:55 am

After the disappointment of the Dublin football loss (by just ONE point!!) last week, the hurlers more than made up for it yesterday afternoon with their win in the Allianz Hurling Final. It had been a long time coming for them - about 72 years to be exact and it was a much needed win over Kilkenny - a side normally so difficult to overcome in hurling. In fact the Dubs were pretty much written off by pundits when they won the semi. They'd never beat Kilkenny who've dominated in hurling and have more titles than cooked dinners.

I haven't seen the match yet, although I was listening to the event via the radio - the atmosphere there sounded amazing, and the match wasn't without some drama. Kilkenny were reduced to 14 men when Eoin Larkin, having lashed out at Conor McCormack, is sent off on a red card. He's said to have thrown his hurley and helmet in anger as he left the field. One commentator thought the red card was harsh, so perhaps Larkin was more frustrated than angry. Extra injury time was added following Joey Boland being stretchered off earlier, which added another nail biting six minutes, but there was no getting over the blue wall. The Dubs won it 0-17 to 1-07 giving their first league win since 1939!

I'm just really chuffed for them - not only as a Dubs supporter, but for a team that have worked so hard to win something which statistically, and by some people's standards they'd never win. You can't fault a David beating Goliath win in sport too. Yahoo

Cari

Back to top Go down

Dubs do it better with sticks! Empty Re: Dubs do it better with sticks!

Post by sportydan Mon May 02, 2011 11:23 am

Great win for the dubs, Whats more lets hope they can be a challenge in the all ireland, because hurling needs new competitors since the loss of Offaly and Wexford.

Cmon the Dubs Very Happy ,

also well done to roscommon Whistle

sportydan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Mon May 02, 2011 11:48 am

From a Meath supporter- congrats to the Dubs. Didn't catch any coverage of the game but hoping to see highlights later. I'll admit I didn't expect them to win either. A great result for Dublin hurling and great for hurling overall. Although the championship is a completely different kettle of fish this will help the Dubs confidence no-end in the coming campaign.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed May 04, 2011 9:25 am

That Kilkenny team was weakened but stilla great win for the Dubs.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by CorkGeordie Wed May 04, 2011 11:15 pm

Huge win for Dublin but now the big question is can they kick on from here and challenge in Leinster. They've got a nice bit of momentum now and hopefully they'll have a large crowd in Croker for the Offaly game.

I wouldnt put it past Offaly though to cause a shock. They have dangerous forwards like Carroll and Shane Dooley (who was superb last year) and there is a risk of the Dubs looking too far ahead which would be a massive setback after the league.

CorkGeordie

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:50 pm

Very nice to see some support from Wales for the GAA.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:34 pm

leinsterbaby wrote:Very nice to see some support from Wales for the GAA.

I love it Leinster. Beats the rubbishy sport we have over here for the summer. I only wish I could get to see more games live. There's a team in Cardiff who play occasionally but otherwise I have to rely on the internet.

Incidentally, I'll pop this link here as it's about the dubs. There's a great blog about the Dubs worth reading which is regularly updated here:

http://www.thedubhub.ie/

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:23 pm

Dubliners lack bottle in both codes.We'll see where they are come September.(Yes I know this going to bite me in the bum)

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:52 pm

we won't have to wait till september to see the back of the dubs with sticks.

I wish them the best of luck though. If it isn't us, i wouldn't mind it being them.....but it definitely won't be.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:49 pm

That's fightin' talk Caark boy! Hurleys at dawn! boxing

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:37 pm

You needn't worry, we'll have our hurleys safely ensconced in the shed by the middle of august as well
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down