The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryan Jones is out, broken bone in shoulder.

+17
maestegmafia
RDSguru
doddieman
Knowsit17
bedfordwelsh
Morgannwg
Mr Bounce
majesticimperialman
Taffineastbourne
glamorganalun
fa0019
lostinwales
englandglory4ever
RubyGuby
youngguns6
munkian
little_badger
21 posters

Go down

Ryan Jones is out, broken bone in shoulder. Empty Ryan Jones is out, broken bone in shoulder.

Post by little_badger Tue 12 Mar 2013, 1:36 pm

How does this affect Wales' back row balance?

http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2013/rugby/story/178635.html

Quote from espnscrum.com 'Jones faces between six and eight weeks out of action and will now focus his attention on recovering from the injury in time to put himself in the British & Irish Lions mix. But the news will come as a setback for Wales as they prepare for Saturday's game against England.'

little_badger

Back to top Go down

Ryan Jones is out, broken bone in shoulder. Empty Re: Ryan Jones is out, broken bone in shoulder.

Post by munkian Tue 12 Mar 2013, 1:46 pm

Massive loss, top 6 Nations performer and back to his old form- DEVALUED ENGLISH SLAM !!!

But I digress, do we start with Tips Warbs and Faletau ? Put Coombes in and then bring on Tips ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Ryan Jones is out, broken bone in shoulder. Empty Re: Ryan Jones is out, broken bone in shoulder.

Post by youngguns6 Tue 12 Mar 2013, 1:59 pm

Coombs, warburton and faletau has the best balence. Bring on tup if we're chasing the game.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Mar 2013, 2:00 pm

Start with Warburton and Tips, 6&7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Mar 2013, 2:06 pm

Gutted for him. Means Howley has to make a massive decision now. I'm certain he will go Tips and Warbs, but the decision on whether to potentially distract Sam by selecting him as captain again is huge. I think he will be given the role though, as I don't think Howley will want to knock his confidence by picking a new captain.

Back to top Go down

Post by little_badger Tue 12 Mar 2013, 2:20 pm

I can see them starting Tips and Warbs. If, and it's a big 'if', Warbs goes missing then that's a big plus in the England column, if he doesn't then England will need to be at every breakdown extremely quickly supporting the ball carrier.

little_badger

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 12 Mar 2013, 2:22 pm

I would go with Coombs initially and give the Capts armband to AWJ - However, if England pick Croft in the backrow, I'd be tempted to go with Tips and Warburton thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Tue 12 Mar 2013, 3:02 pm

Wales won't miss him much. Pretty over hyped like most in that team.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 12 Mar 2013, 3:20 pm

Might make life tougher for the Wales scrum. Unless they pick Coombs whoever will be taking his place wont have anything like the same pushing power

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 12 Mar 2013, 3:22 pm

I myself highly rate Jones and think he's a massive loss. Captaincy is natural to him and he leads Wales very well. Yes their are better No8, better blindsides etc but any Welsh backrow is weaker without him (just like Robshaw is to England).

He carries well and puts in a lot of tackles. Tipuric is not really a ball carrier, neither is Warburton.... who else will take the game to England forwards bar Faletau in the above scenario (no real big ball carriers in that front 5 esp. with Gethin on the bench)? It looks a little off balance and without front foot ball it won't matter if they have 1 or 2 opensides on the pitch... they won't be able to secure quick possession. I think they need another ball carrier myself, not an expert on Welsh players so don't know who would best fit (assuming Lydiate is still injured etc).

In the end do they trust Warburton to take the captaincy in his full stride? I'm not so sure if they should. AW Jones looks a safe bet and it may bring out the animal in him that Wales will want to compete against this ENG pack.

Free up Warburton and let him concentrate on his game.

Hand it to him and I think that he will take too much on and his own game will suffer... and with that the match IMO.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 12 Mar 2013, 6:51 pm

I would go for King at 6 and Coombes on the bench to cover 6/8 and second row. Tips on the bench. Big loss for experience, power, tackling and line out.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 12 Mar 2013, 6:56 pm

englandglory4ever wrote:Wales won't miss him much. Pretty over hyped like most in that team.

He has only three grand slams and a Lions number 8 excluding playing a big part of this year's championship. What have England got to compare?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 12 Mar 2013, 6:58 pm

Coombs to start at 6.Tips on bench.Coombs has been the outstanding newcomer and he should have a taste of Championship glory in the decider.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 12 Mar 2013, 7:11 pm

With Ryan Jones out now. Will Sam Warburton now be given the Captains arm band? Or will the captain now go to AWJ? or some one else?

I am only asking this because Howely was hoping that with out the captains arm band. Sam Warburton would concentrate on his game and getting back to the form he was 2 years ago.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Mar 2013, 7:15 pm

Fair question Madge. It's a tough one for Howley. I think Sam would be better off without it and I guess I would go for AWJ over somebody else like Jenkins, as most players like Jenkins won't play a full game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 12 Mar 2013, 7:16 pm

As an Englishman, I am disappointed Ryan's not playing. He is a big loss in the Welsh team, both as a Captain & motivator. Will the Welsh be deeply affected? No, of course not. They will be trying to beat England for themselves as well as their country and for Ryan.

You could go on about numerous slams etc being "devalued" through the loss of various players. England have lost 2 of their most effective pack players in Corbisiero & Morgan, yet we've done ok. We missed Farrell last weekend for sure. If the perceived "weaker" team wins, it's seen as a bonus for them; a bigger achievement.

I am looking forward to a hard fought game of rugby. I of course would like England to win. Can they? Without a doubt. Will they? Unsure.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 12 Mar 2013, 8:08 pm

glamorganalun wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:Wales won't miss him much. Pretty over hyped like most in that team.

He has only three grand slams and a Lions number 8 excluding playing a big part of this year's championship. What have England got to compare?

Not much. I think this serial whinger is upset that Big Ryan will be keeping Ben Morgan outta the Lions.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 12 Mar 2013, 8:34 pm

Huge blow for Wals and for Ryan himself who I reckon was pushinh for a Lions spot, 6-8 weeks out will damage that chance now.

As for Saturday I think we will see Warbs and Tips with Warbs back as skipper.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 12 Mar 2013, 11:02 pm

Ryan is a big loss, both as a leader and player on present form. But I'll admit I'm very interested in the idea of Warbs and Tipuric starting together. Both looked terrific at the breakdown when playing side by side against Scotland, played a big part in helping Wales control the later stages.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by doddieman Tue 12 Mar 2013, 11:25 pm

Ryan is a big loss but tips and warbs worked fine together on saturday, no reason why they shouldn't start together.

doddieman

Back to top Go down

Post by RDSguru Tue 12 Mar 2013, 11:45 pm

RJ's loss cannot be overstated.... Sad

Not the right game to start King, I'd go with Shingler or Coombs to start, Tips to come on around 50 min mark. Would fit in with the way Wales approach games these days, stay in it for the first 50/60 wear the oppo down etc.

Shock re-call for Jon Thomas? Yikes

RDSguru

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:02 am

JT Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I am not a fan of playing players out of position and Coombs and king play mainly as 2nd row for their Regions.

To that end and given he has experience at highest level I think Warbs and Tips is our best option to start with Commbs and SHingler on the bench.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:03 am

RDSguru wrote:RJ's loss cannot be overstated.... Sad

Not the right game to start King, I'd go with Shingler or Coombs to start, Tips to come on around 50 min mark. Would fit in with the way Wales approach games these days, stay in it for the first 50/60 wear the oppo down etc.

Shock re-call for Jon Thomas? Yikes

JT has been in great form this season. Shingler has looked good recently for Scarlett's too. Tough call, is Coombs a good enough blindside...?

King is a ridiculous call, he hasn't played anywhere but lock for at least a year unless a sure emergency has arisen.

I would like us to not select Tips and Warbs to start. But I am unsure who I want at Blindeside. Tips and Warbs have been a very effective combo so far. It may well work.

What's great us the make up massively effects the style of our breakdown and not selecting until late will effect England's selection and tactics.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:08 am

Maes,

I think Warbs and Tips is the safe choice and maybe if the points difference had been such that we wouldn't have (realistically) been in with chance of winning the championship then maybe I might have been inclined to experiment.

But like you said King hasn't played there all season and Coombs not a lot for us and would rather him be used as 2nd row cover.

Shingler was my call to start for the Ireland game but he disappointed in that game, then again not many did impress so harsh to judge him on that.

For me despite not liking playing players out of position I think the safe bet is the way to start.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:14 am

Shingler picked up an injury early in that game so it is harsh to judge him.

I would be quite tempted to pick him vs England with Warburton at openside and bring young Tipuric on in the second half.

But Tips and Sam work so well as a combination.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:18 am

I do think it will be Warbs and Tips with the other interesting decision being who has the armband.

Howley said Ryan Jones kept it for last game to allow Warburton to concentrate on his game alone so does he give it back to him for this game or give it to say AWJ?

For me I think we will see Warburton at 6 and skipper
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:28 am

He did a good job as substitute captain last week. And for a decent amount of the game. Ryan Jones went off early, (49th minute).

I do really like the idea of AWJ taking the helm. Though I have a feeling that higher powers are requesting both Warburtons inclusion and captaincy as an audition regarding other tours.

All the arguments are so strong for each case I haven't a clue what will or should happen.

I think my decision would be Tips Warbs and AwJ Captain... May change my mind before the day is out...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:43 am

My only concern with a backrow featuring both Warburton and Tipuric is that it might be slightly lightweight. Our scrum's been a major positive this Six Nations and Ryan Jones's weight has helped there. On top of that, I keep having nightmares that England will kick to the corners and try and maul their way over the line. We still need some bulk to counter that.

On the other hand, I have other dreams where Warburton and Tipuric rule the breakdown and we have a field day!

Howley's had some big calls to make this Six Nations, some have paid off and others haven't. He has another big call to make this week.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:52 am

Team announcement is Thursday.

As you said LP he has had some big calls to make, I think he has made the right calls too, Warbs and AWJ in, Ryan to Captain, Tips over Warbs... He has done a great job, all away from home.

As the morons on 606 constantly sreech from the rafters Wales have usually lost at least two games following one of our recent Grand Slams.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:55 am

That's the thing, even if we end up second in the table, it's a major improvement over our usual 4th.

I really can't call this game at all. Another nightmare I have is of Chris Ashton scoring...

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:58 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:That's the thing, even if we end up second in the table, it's a major improvement over our usual 4th.

I really can't call this game at all. Another nightmare I have is of Chris Ashton scoring...

Ha ha ha, on a positive note Ashton hasn't had much practice scoring in quite some time. From what I read on the English fans poses he is seriously out of favour.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:00 am

Lancaster's backed himself into a corner with Ashton. He's given him all tournament to find form instead of trying an alternative, and now it would be quite a risk to throw someone in for the final game at the Millennium.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:04 am

maestegmafia wrote:Shingler picked up an injury early in that game so it is harsh to judge him.

I would be quite tempted to pick him vs England with Warburton at openside and bring young Tipuric on in the second half.

Why is Warbs just 'Warburton' but Tips is 'young Tipuric'. They are pretty much the same age - were the same age group year etc. Is it because he has more of a baby face?

I'd play them both from the start and run the English pack ragged. That isn't in the gameplan manual though, so Howley may have to find some bulk from somewhere to replace Ryan Jones, who has 'put in a massive shift' for us.

Unless we tweak the tactics though, I don't think Ryan's injury and who replaces him will make any difference.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:06 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Lancaster's backed himself into a corner with Ashton. He's given him all tournament to find form instead of trying an alternative, and now it would be quite a risk to throw someone in for the final game at the Millennium.

Poor old Howley was pinpointed for the same reasoning with a few Welsh players. It has worked for Wales.

It has seemed with Ashton that if you give him enough to worry about defencively that he loses focus. Hopefully his petulant nature and dirty play, doesn't result in one of our lads getting in trouble responding to something he's done.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:07 am

Casartelli wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Shingler picked up an injury early in that game so it is harsh to judge him.

Why is Warbs just 'Warburton' but Tips is 'young Tipuric'. They are pretty much the same age - were the same age group year etc. Is it because he has more of a baby face?

I'd play them both from the start and run the English pack ragged. That isn't in the gameplan manual though, so Howley may have to find some bulk from somewhere to replace Ryan Jones, who has 'put in a massive shift' for us.

Unless we tweak the tactics though, I don't think Ryan's injury and who replaces him will make any difference.

That is pathetically pedantic.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:11 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Casartelli wrote:

That is pathetically pedantic.

I get like that in the run up to big games. It's the tension.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:27 am

Well Maesteg - it's not as pathetic or pedantic as this insightful contribution. Rolling Eyes
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:18 am

Surely with Jones gone, England will bang it in the corners and target the welsh lineout ? The two locks who look like being fit with Croft, Wood and Robshaw all lineout specialists will be up against AWJ, Warburton and.....?
Wales have also lost a major ball carrier with Faletau only being marginally successful in that role thus far?
The welsh defensively at the breakdown will be fit for purpose but offensively not sure they have as many options as they should. I would expect Haskell to make an impact at some point, to smash the breakdown defenders too.

Lots for the England mngt to think about.

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:20 am

The and...? Recwatcher is the 6ft 8ins Ian Evans thumbsup

Offensively we do have 1 or 2 options via North, Cuthbert, JD, Jamie, Iron Mike and Scott Williams thumbsup

Last edited by RubyGuby on Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:20 am

That's exactly what I fear England will do, Recwatcher. They'll already know that we don't challenge on the opponents' throw.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:21 am

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:55 am

England would love the welsh lineout to throw to the front to Evans, which means slow ball to the midfield....which will be gobbled up by Barritt and co.
Suspect Phillips will need to have a really big game for Wales on the above scenario.

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:32 am

Gutted to see he's out. For me he has been one of the players of the tournament so far, one of his biggest strengths being such a good team player.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 13 Mar 2013, 12:57 pm

Recwatcher wrote:Surely with Jones gone, England will bang it in the corners and target the welsh lineout ? The two locks who look like being fit with Croft, Wood and Robshaw all lineout specialists will be up against AWJ, Warburton and.....?
Wales have also lost a major ball carrier with Faletau only being marginally successful in that role thus far?
The welsh defensively at the breakdown will be fit for purpose but offensively not sure they have as many options as they should. I would expect Haskell to make an impact at some point, to smash the breakdown defenders too.

Lots for the England mngt to think about.

I agree, it is what concerns me, Wales looked much weaker when Jones went off from the driving line out and rolling mauls.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 13 Mar 2013, 1:36 pm

offload wrote:

Well Maesteg - it's not as pathetic or pedantic as this insightful contribution. Rolling Eyes

I just keep that guy on the ignore setting...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down