The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who are the contenders for LTA chief exucutives job and who should get the job?

+4
barrystar
lydian
erictheblueuk
shaun.mahon.9
8 posters

Go down

Who are the contenders for LTA chief exucutives job and who should get the job? Empty Who are the contenders for LTA chief exucutives job and who should get the job?

Post by shaun.mahon.9 Sun 17 Mar 2013, 10:23 pm

With Roger Draper announcing in midweek that he's stepping down in late September, i was wondering if any names were being mentioned as contenders?

Only names i know are Mark Petchey, Judy Murray (according to Andy, she won't be taking job on), Jean-Yves Garbeau (mentioned by Andy Castle) and Chris Kermode, Richard Lewis, Debbie Jeavons and Craig Tiley.

Out of that list of names, i would go for Chris Kermode.

Thoughts?

shaun.mahon.9

Back to top Go down

Who are the contenders for LTA chief exucutives job and who should get the job? Empty Re: Who are the contenders for LTA chief exucutives job and who should get the job?

Post by erictheblueuk Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:49 am

Rafa Benitez
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Who are the contenders for LTA chief exucutives job and who should get the job? Empty Re: Who are the contenders for LTA chief exucutives job and who should get the job?

Post by lydian Mon 18 Mar 2013, 12:00 pm

David Lloyd. Wont happen though.

I don't have faith they'll pick the right person - it'll be a face-fits selection rather than someone who can assess and do what's actually needed, i.e. root and branch reform.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 18 Mar 2013, 12:18 pm

Someone who understands what motivates people to pick up and play at grass roots level, what challenges and difficulties such people face, and who is prepared to break a few eggs to lower such challenges and increase participation in the sport.

Perhaps a bit more ruthlessness with the "elite" players would help foster more of a winning mindset?

It's not impossible for people from cold northern countries to make it - viz Sweden.

barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 18 Mar 2013, 1:08 pm

I posted this a while back about petchey's thinking for the lta's future.

Former British number one Mark Petchey would be willing to replace Roger Draper as Lawn Tennis Association chief - and for "substantially" less money.
Draper received a £640,000 salary last year, despite Sport England criticising the LTA's plans for participation.
Petchey, who used to coach Andy Murray, admits he would relish the job - if he was allowed to do it on his own terms.
"If the LTA board agreed with my vision for British tennis, it's a job I would want to do," Petchey told BBC Sport.
"This would be a massive 24/7 job, but seeing British tennis succeed has always been a passion of mine. And I would do it for substantially less than Roger received this year."

Draper - who received a £200,000 bonus as part of his salary package - was heavily criticised when Sport England announced before Christmas that it would be giving the LTA only one year's grassroots funding.
The number of people playing tennis once a week had fallen from 487,500 in 2008 to 445,100 in 2012, and Sport England chief executive Jennie Price said: "We need to give them a year to step up their game and prove they can deliver."

Petchey, 42, who reached number 80 in the world as a player and coached Croatia's Silvija Talaja to the world's top 20 and Slovenia's Tina Pisnik into the top 30, and also had a spell coaching current British number one Murray, believes British tennis needs to be "turned on its head".
"Very basically, the LTA needs to focus on grassroots, not the elite end of the game," he said. "The lion's share of its money should be directed to the bottom of the game rather than the top.
"So that means investing in clubs and coaches, building more courts and indoor courts and broadening the participation base, looking at schemes like tennis for free. It also means improving the links between local clubs and schools.
"France, Spain and Germany all have a very good club structure but there aren't enough people playing the game in the UK. The salary bill at the LTA is huge and millions have been pumped into performance tennis, which hasn't provided value for money."

The LTA had an average of 311 employees in 2012, spent £13.2m on salaries and more than £600,000 on pension and insurance costs. It also spent £12.3m on performance tennis.
"This is a long journey though - from here it would take about 15 years," warned Petchey, who lives in Cape Town, South Africa and spends his time commentating for television and coaching his two daughters, who are aged 14 and 11.
Draper has been chief executive of the LTA since 2006. Only the LTA board has the authority to replace him and an LTA spokesman said there was "absolutely no prospect" of this happening.
The spokesman added: "Our focus is participation and the majority of our investment is into the grassroots.
"We've done a lot of work in building club-school links through our clubmark, mini tennis and Aegon Schools programmes."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/20899357

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 18 Mar 2013, 1:28 pm

Nice info LS, Petchey used to annoy me with some of his comments but in recent times talks a lot of good sense - they need a man with a vision, Petchey seems to have one and understand where we're going wrong. I think he's ruffled too many feathers along the way though...you can imagine how brass-necked some of the senior LTA guys are...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Mar 2013, 1:58 pm

I think Petchey has made sense ever since he parted ways with Murray. Least that gave him objective to fair and more impartial.

I agree with his thinking, but like him and many other fellow pro's have stated the LTA does require a business brain at the top that streamline change and stop the waste of money and get confidence growing back into the LTA.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 18 Mar 2013, 4:28 pm

Petchy? Pfft! Judy Murray? Good grief! What it needs is someone used to running a business who will spread the money thinly at grass roots level so the maximum number of people get a chance to participate in this great game. It does not need someone with a connection to a big name who will demand a big fee because of who they are chums with or (cough) gave birth too.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:30 pm

What about having a non-british born guy such as Greg Rusedski? Anyway in all seriousness though, why were guys of the calibre of Paul Annacone and Peter Lundgren failures when they were employed by the LTA?

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:49 pm

It needs a business brain and someone who knows and is passionate about tennis. I'm not a great believer that someone who ran British Gas, say, can run the LTA.
David Lloyd fits the bill, but there's no way it'll happen.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by shaun.mahon.9 Tue 19 Mar 2013, 11:06 pm

Its gone very quiet in press and media regarding potential contenders.

shaun.mahon.9

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue 19 Mar 2013, 11:26 pm

What about Sue Barker as the new LTA chief executive?

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down