The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most disappointing part of this year's 6N?

+8
lostinwales
Geordie
thebluesmancometh
The Great Aukster
bluestonevedder
Impossible Standards
LondonTiger
InjuredYetAgain
12 posters

Go down

Most disappointing part of this year's 6N? Empty Most disappointing part of this year's 6N?

Post by InjuredYetAgain Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:09 am

While Wales deserved the title, it is fair to say that this was not a vintage year. But what, for you, was the most disappointing feature?
For me, it was Scotland's back row. It lacked balance (not helped by injuries to our main 3 open-sides) and definitely lacked a ball carrier who would get over the gain line.
Other possibilities; dodgy SH refereeing at the scrum, dodgy engagements by one team at the scrum leading to being given penalties over and over, the English back 3 who were pretty mince, Ireland's disastrous run of injuries, PSA's insistence that Fofana really isn't that good a centre and is much better standing freezing his nuts off on the wing.
Any other offers?

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Most disappointing part of this year's 6N? Empty Re: Most disappointing part of this year's 6N?

Post by LondonTiger Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:13 am

I doubt there has ever been a "vintage" year - except in the sepia tinted memories of old farts like me. Any title win is a great achievement - and whilst winning the GS gives greater kudos - there is one hell of a lot of spirit displayed by a team that can recover from the humping Wales got for 47 minutes against Ireland to then come back and win the title.

But back to the OP - the most disappointing thing about my team is that as the tournament went on they seemed to get worse.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Most disappointing part of this year's 6N? Empty Re: Most disappointing part of this year's 6N?

Post by InjuredYetAgain Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:15 am

Fair point. You right royally and deservedly pulled our trousers down in round 1 but never (were allowed to?) hit the same heights again.

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:18 am

there is one hell of a lot of spirit displayed by a team that can recover from the humping Wales got for 47 minutes against Ireland to then come back and win the title.

From a welsh point of view this has made it one of the best 6N. Myself and most of Wales didn't have much hope after a torrid AI and first half against Ireland. To then win it in such a way was fantastic.

Again back to the post - I think the weather dictated some unspectacular rugby in the middle of the comp which was a shame.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:26 am

Agree about the weather affecting matches. How about being disappointed at the quality of the pitches? It will be interesting to see how Sarries get on with their astro. If it improves the quality of rugby but still allows for some good old fashioned scrummaging, I would have no problems about all 6N pitches being artificial

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:28 am

Impossible Standards wrote:
there is one hell of a lot of spirit displayed by a team that can recover from the humping Wales got for 47 minutes against Ireland to then come back and win the title.

From a welsh point of view this has made it one of the best 6N. Myself and most of Wales didn't have much hope after a torrid AI and first half against Ireland. To then win it in such a way was fantastic.

Again back to the post - I think the weather dictated some unspectacular rugby in the middle of the comp which was a shame.

Agree with that. The opening weekend was one of the best I can remember, can;t remember exactly how many tries were scored, but it was a hell of a lot. The weather really ruined a lot of the games.

Also, on a side point, the second break between the games? Is it necessary? So annoying, and really loses momentum for the competition and the players I'm sure.

Last edited by bluestonevedder on Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:29 am

The lack of rugby genius.

There was a paucity of rugby skills that fans could Oooh and Awhhh at. Usually France add some zest in that regard but PSA is trying to coach that out of them and their fall from nearly winning the RWC to winning the WS is stark.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:31 am

16 tries on the opening weekend. Good point about the astro turfs, that French pitch was cutting up bad again on sat...
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:39 am

The Great Aukster wrote:The lack of rugby genius.

There was a paucity of rugby skills that fans could Oooh and Awhhh at. Usually France add some zest in that regard but PSA is trying to coach that out of them and their fall from nearly winning the RWC to winning the WS is stark.

Nearly winning the RWC??? They were awfull going into it, were very fortuitous in a few matches and then were oblitirated by a disgrace of a ref in the final.

France have been very poor for 2 years despite the last AI's!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:48 am

I think for me some of the worst things has been the injuries and selection puzzles from France.

We want to see players like Sexton (and half of the Irish team thats injured) and Ben Morgan etc playing.

I also want to see a top French side...not continued weird selection policies...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 18 Mar 2013, 12:12 pm

Scrums - given the lack of completed scrums (and the penalty lottery) something has to change. After a certain point you cant just blame it on the players all the time.

Refereeing. Wales had their best display for a number of years (their equivalent of England NZ) but the Mr Walsh breakdown - ignore anything else wait for English player to commit offense then blow up didnt help. Same for MV's first scrum. You could see him talking and talking to Youngs amongst others and you could just see Youngs thinking it doesnt matter what they do hes going to blow up anyways. Its not good to complain about them all the time but it is happening more and more. There have been plenty of other rants about other refs, some more deserved than others.

Pitches - France the worst of the lot.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 18 Mar 2013, 3:20 pm

The lack of a Genuis?

I thought what St Andre managed to achieve with that talented french squad was nothing short of genius, that alongside the selection of Michalek was of pure genial proportions thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 18 Mar 2013, 3:23 pm

RubyGuby wrote:The lack of a Genuis?

I thought what St Andre managed to achieve with that talented french squad was nothing short of genius, that alongside the selection of Michalek was of pure genial proportions thumbsup

Laugh OK

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Mon 18 Mar 2013, 4:06 pm

The back play. I was feeling pretty hopeful of a Lions victory before, but now I'm left wondering how we are going to compete with the Aussies.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 18 Mar 2013, 4:17 pm

gelodge wrote:The back play. I was feeling pretty hopeful of a Lions victory before, but now I'm left wondering how we are going to compete with the Aussies.

I agree, the Walesonline site I voted 3 -0 to Aust for this very reason unless the Lions pick Shane Williams.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 18 Mar 2013, 5:17 pm

St Andre's eyebrow gesticulations were always fun. He's a man who can't sit still and even when he is sitting still his eyebrows rebel. He's like a colobus monkey - all darting eyes and half smile/half surprise tics.

But I like him. He might be doing strange things but he looks a nice guy and seems to be able to find the fun in adversity.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down