The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England summer tour of Argentina

+71
Bristolian
wales606
jaydubs1977
flankertye
LeinsterFan4life
gregortree
HammerofThunor
BamBam
Rugby Fan
Duty281
Rugby Uberlord
broadlandboy
timhen
nathan
RubyGuby
markb
Portnoy's Complaint
Sgt_Pooly
stnick88
mbernz
Hound of Harrow
100%beefy
BigWilly
damage_13
Bathite
Toadfish
HongKongCherry
jelly
Rory_Gallagher
jeffwinger
WELL-PAST-IT
Bathman_in_London
Bigyak
Fluxy
Breadvan
robbo277
niwatts
B91212
thomh
No 7&1/2
propdavid_london
Alex_Germany
DaveM
nlpnlp
ChequeredJersey
Triangulation
formerly known as Sam
funnyExiledScot
Chjw131
lostinwales
fa0019
Jimpy
Wi11
Cumbrian
BigTrevsbigmac
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Effervescing Elephant
bluestonevedder
maestegmafia
englandglory4ever
doctor_grey
Barney McGrew did it
Tiger/Chief
LondonTiger
yappysnap
beshocked
sirtidychris
Geordie
sickofwendy
majesticimperialman
king_carlos
75 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

England summer tour of Argentina - Page 14 Empty England summer tour of Argentina

Post by king_carlos Sun 24 Mar - 18:16

First topic message reminder :

Updated prior to Consur XV game:

Forwards (18)
Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby, 2 caps)
Rob Buchanan (Harlequins, uncapped)
Calum Clark (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Alex Corbisiero (London Irish, 18 caps)
Paul Doran Jones (Northampton Saints, 4 caps)
Tom Johnson (Exeter Chiefs, 5 caps)
Matt Kvesic (Worcester Warriors, uncapped)
Joe Launchbury (London Wasps, 9 caps)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 20 caps)
Joe Marler (Harlequins, 10 caps)
Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby, 10 caps)
David Paice (London Irish, 6 caps)
Ed Slater (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)
Henry Thomas (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
Billy Vunipola (London Wasps, uncapped)
Rob Webber (Bath Rugby, 3 caps)
David Wilson (Bath Rugby, 26 caps)
Tom Wood (Northampton Saints, captain, 18 caps)

Backs (14)
Mike Brown (Harlequins, 16 caps)
Freddie Burns (Gloucester Rugby, 1 cap)
Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints, 7 caps)
Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
Ben Foden (Northampton Saints, 30 caps)
Alex Goode (Saracens, 11 caps)
Jonathan Joseph (London Irish, 4 caps)
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, uncapped)
David Strettle (Saracens, 13 caps)
Joel Tomkins (Saracens, uncapped)
Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester Rugby, 4 caps)
Christian Wade (London Wasps, uncapped)
Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens, 12 caps)
Marland Yarde (London Irish, uncapped)

With Kearnan Myall and Haydn Thomas added to the squad for the Barbarians game.

Sides for the Consur XV game - KO 19.30

England: Ben Foden (Northampton Saints); Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby), Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints), Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby), David Strettle (Saracens); Stephen Myler (Northampton Saints), Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens); Joe Marler (Harlequins); David Paice (London Irish); Henry Thomas (Sale Sharks); Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints); Kearnan Myall (Unattached); Tom Wood (Northampton Saints, captain); Tom Johnson (Exeter Chiefs), Billy Vunipola (London Wasps)

Replacements: Rob Buchanan (Harlequins), Alex Corbisiero (London Irish), Paul Doran Jones (Northampton Saints), Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby), Matt Kvesic (Worcester Warriors) 21 Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints), Freddie Burns (Gloucester Rugby), Jonathan Joseph (London Irish)

CONSUR XV: Tomás Carrió (Argentina); Belisario Agulla (Argentina), Francisco Sansot (Argentina), Juan Socino (Argentina), Leandro Leivas (Uruguay); Benjamín Madero (Argentina), Tomás Cubelli -C- (Argentina), Bruno Postiglioni (Argentina), Arturo Ávalo (Uruguay), Mario Sagario (Uruguay), Cesar Fruttero (Argentina), Pablo Huete (Chile), Tomás de la Vega (Argentina), Javier Ortega Desio (Argentina), Antonio Ahualli (Argentina)

Replacements: Alejo Corral (Uruguay), Óscar Durán (Uruguay), Nicolás Klapenbach (Uruguay), Diego Magno (Uruguay), Juan Gaminara (Uruguay), Agustín Ormaechea(Uruguay), Mosiés Duque (Brasil), Santiago Gbernau (Uruguay)

http://www.espn.co.uk/england/rugby/story/184014.html

The game contains plenty of developing players on both sides who won't have played together much so should be interesting. From an England perspective I can't to see how Foden does back in the 15 shirt and also really looking forward to Jonny May getting a chance on the wing as I've been pushing for him to be selected all season (and before that even!).

To be completely honest I know little about most of the Consur XV players but as a Tigers fan I'm looking forward to seeing Horacio Agulla's younger brother Belisario on the right wing. I always rated Horacio very highly and enjoyed his style of play so I'm hoping for much the same from Belisario!

Last edited by king_carlos on Sun 2 Jun - 17:22; edited 3 times in total

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

England summer tour of Argentina - Page 14 Empty Re: England summer tour of Argentina

Post by propdavid_london Wed 22 May - 12:05

OK - so you see Eastmond as a distributor.
Thats what I wasnt sure about, i've seen highlights and you only really see the hard running side of him. Therefore I was thinking that he would slot well into the 13 mould outside of a guy like 36.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

England summer tour of Argentina - Page 14 Empty Re: England summer tour of Argentina

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 22 May - 12:09

Well that was his role in RL. He does have a good running side to him as seen from the highlights but that is more down to his quick feet than a turn of pace.
To be honest I would be interested to see how he would go with Burns and 36, far better players than those around him at Bath, which may allow him to use that footwork more and then put the wingers away.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 22 May - 12:12

But maybe a good distributor with quick feet is perfect for the 12 role...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 26 May - 21:13

yappysnap wrote:Carlos do you want to update the OP with the actual squad that's touring mate? Unless that is the squad... but I don't think Lowe is going to Argentina is he?

Just been updated yappy - sorry for taking a while, had a hectic few weeks!

So what were peoples thoughts on the game today and what effect it will have on choices for the tour?

Obviously it was a disappointing game in terms of overall quality but they can only beat what's in front of them and as such it was a promising performance IMO. I though the backline especially showed lots of skill and genuine threats with ball in hand from many positions rather than throwing the ball to one player and hoping something will happen.

It was also good to see a searing try from Daly who I would've loved to have seen in the squad!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 26 May - 22:44

Cheers buddy, no worries.

On the game I have to say I'm 60/40 happy/disappointed. Englands counter attacking looked good and the back three plus 10/12 played very well ball in hand. But on the down side we kicked far too much possesion away, doubly upsetting as the BaaBaas defence was clueless for most of the game. We also failed to bring in any real strike moves off first phase ball, or build up an attacking platform and break down the BaaBaas the few times that they were defending well.wigglesworth and Jj were both poor, Wiggs just offered so little while Jj struggled to get into the game.

On the plus side the pack went well, especially in the front 5. Attwood and Wilson were my stand outs and I may be biased but Marler had a quality cameo as well. The only let down was Kvesic who after all the hype and talk about being a fetcher disappointed in a game I thought would be perfecct for him.

Overall there's little to learn except that if you actually play form players theyll generally do well and proper wings work best on the wing!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 27 May - 8:45

JJ looks a bit out of condition to me & as you say Yappy Wiggs didn't set the game alight real shame Joe Simpson hasn't progressed as we all expected.

He has still got the searing pace that Wigs lacks though & I think a SH should have.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 27 May - 10:09

Yep Wigglesworth just slowed everything down and kicked away possession (Who'd have predicted it?), he doesn't complement Burns at all. He is the sort of player you bring on to close out games.

Marler was good, but so was Corbisiero so there are no complaints there at all from me. Wilson was the stand out though, could he be ramping up from back up to genuine challenger to Cole? His carrying game is better than Cole's but Dan's scrummaging and break down work are a lot better IMO. Perhaps we aren't dancing on the edge of disaster, expecting to be screwed when Cole gets injured/ knackered.

It was great to see Attwood make barging runs, knocking people out of the way. It is even more promising that he was calling the lineouts, he could be genuine competition to Parling in that area. He is still only 26 and seems to be coming into his own.

Kvesic wasn't bad, he just wasn't stand out. I think it will take time for him to get into the rhythm at international level, that will be the problem though. There are at least two other players chomping at the bit to take his place, the back-row is so competitive these days.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 27 May - 10:43

I only caught the second half I wasn't impressed by 36 or JJ. JJ was a complete non-entity and 36 showed flashes in attack, not enough from phase ball for me knowing his ability and in defence he was bypassed by Daly on three occasions in the second half including Daly's try. His defensive discipline needs to be better as at the minute he is pointing his body inwards meaning if the opposition get on his outside he struggles to make the hit. An issue for a 12.

Burns looked decent, Yarde was excellent, Wade looked classy though I'd like to see him more involved, the front row looked extremely good at the set piece and in the loose which gives us valuable options going forward and Attwood seems to be coming good at the right time (replace Myall with Slater on the bench and we have great options going into the Argue games).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 27 May - 21:22

Yappy - I agree the front 5 impressed which was great to see, especially with Slater and Lawes returning to the squad for the tour. Kvesic didn't set things alight but had a solid game IMO - I believe it was him that created the turnover which led to Yarde's break and then Burns try early on.

Sam - The issue with Twelvetrees allowing himself to get caught out positionally sometimes is one of the reasons I really wanted to see Lowe in the squad as he's technically/tactically very clever alongside being very fast and having better distribution than Tuilagi, Tomkins and Joseph (though those three offer more physicality and off-loading....). I'd have loved to have seen the below side for the tour:

1.Corbs 2.Webber 3.Wilson 4.Attwood 5.Launchberry 6.Wood 7.Kvesic 8.Morgan
9.Care 10.Burns 11.Yarde 12.Twelvetrees 13.Lowe 14.Wade 15.Brown
16.Lindsay 17.Marler 18.Thomas 19.Slater 20.Vunipola 21.Wigglesworth 22.Eastmond 23.May/Foden

To be fair the side we'll see isn't looking a million miles from that anyway though which is a hell of an improvement on what we've been able to say about some selections in recent years! Erm

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 27 May - 21:40

Agree with that Carlos, I like the look of that team too, Lowe is class but for what ever reason seems to always be over looked.

Kvesic did indeed get that turn over but then just seemed to fade after that, bit of a shame but hopefully as the team gel he'll show a bit more. At the moment I'd still go with Wood/Robshaw although honestly Wood was fairly anonymous against Tigers (and Sarries) too.

Billy V was pretty hit and miss, i'd like to see him start as he seems to come off the bench and want to try too much, starting may help him ease in to the game a little more and get his hands warmed up as well.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Tue 28 May - 8:53

yappysnap wrote:Agree with that Carlos, I like the look of that team too, Lowe is class but for what ever reason seems to always be over looked.

In fairness he was taken to South Africa last year and scored in midweek before going home injured, and then missed half of this season through injury and subsequently losing his place to Hopper. Very good player but needs to work on his passing and occasionally he can get beaten on the inside shoulder in defence.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 28 May - 10:27

Gold is working his magic on Wilson and Attwood at Bath...great to see.

Kvesic didnt impress at all...though it was his first game...still way behind Robshaw for that 7 shirt.

Parling may find himself going on a Lions tour then being dropped by his country.

And the backs - well not a great Baas Baas side (good individuals) but it just felt good to see those young England backs passing quick, running lines...trusting their ability and scoring tries. Lets see how they go against the Argentinians...and if they cope well...then i will be dispondant if we still see Farrell and barritt at 10 and 12 come the AI's...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Tue 28 May - 12:37

Ed slater ruled out.
Myall called up

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 28 May - 12:39

Shame for Ed, but i guess that means we roll with a second row of an inform Attwood and Mr Consistantly class Launchbury...and i'd take that no problem...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 28 May - 12:46

Are the Argentina-England games being shown on TV anywhere in the UK? Can't see it listed on Sky Sports at the moment.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 28 May - 12:46

Did we already know that Calum Clark is out of tour as well?

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 28 May - 12:59

Ed Slater out - thats a real shame as I'd wanted to see him play in an England shirt.
His time will come hopefully.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 28 May - 13:04

Duty281 wrote:Are the Argentina-England games being shown on TV anywhere in the UK? Can't see it listed on Sky Sports at the moment.

Doesn't seem to be shown by anybody, not quite sure why as you would think ITV, BBC ESPN would all jump at the chance even if it is developmental.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Tue 28 May - 13:12

Clark just can't catch a break,can he? chin

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 28 May - 13:19

You'll be able to stream it in from somewhere i would think. Theres no way it isnt going to be televised.

Do you think we'll start the 1st test with the team we started the Baa Baas?
I think pack will be...but with Wood replacing Johnson.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 28 May - 13:33

Would not be surprised if Lancaster played Wood at 7 not 6
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 28 May - 13:42

Was just thinking he seems to like Wood at 6, and for all im wasnt totally impressed with Kvesic's performance, it was his first game and id be loathe to throw him out...id rather give him another few games to get used to the pace and see if he has what it takes.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 28 May - 13:45

GeordieFalcon wrote:Was just thinking he seems to like Wood at 6, and for all im wasnt totally impressed with Kvesic's performance, it was his first game and id be loathe to throw him out...id rather give him another few games to get used to the pace and see if he has what it takes.

Oh, I'd start Kvesic at 7, but I won't be surprised if Lancaster plays Wood there
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 28 May - 13:54

Yeah true CJ...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 28 May - 17:47

Calum Clark and Ed Slater ruled out.

Kearnan Myall the only replacement. Touch disappointed for Graham Kitchener, he has been excellent for us all season, and had another good display in the AP final.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 28 May - 18:21

LondonTiger wrote:Calum Clark and Ed Slater ruled out.

Kearnan Myall the only replacement. Touch disappointed for Graham Kitchener, he has been excellent for us all season, and had another good display in the AP final.

Agree Kitchener can feel a bit aggrieved as he's been a stand out for us for much of the season as you say. With Deacon struggling and Parling on England duty the second row could have been a problem for us but Slater and Kitchener both stood up in a big way and it would've been nice to see both on tour. Also with Kitchener he offers real dynamism to go with his size - as seen for his try at the weekend.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Wed 29 May - 16:53

Tweet from Brian Moore:

"Brian Moore ‏@brianmoore666 Rugby - Argentina v England update - both games live on BBC2 at 8.00pm."

Woo Hoo!!!!!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 29 May - 17:09

Excellent news!

I thought Moore was supposed to be in Oz with talksport though?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Thu 30 May - 10:17

It's official.
Just announced on 5live that bbc2 television both games.
Yahoo

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 30 May - 10:19

sickofwendy wrote:It's official.
Just announced on 5live that bbc2 television both games.
Yahoo

Get in!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 30 May - 10:21

Well done the Beeb. True public service broadcasting there!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 30 May - 10:23

Commentator Eddie Butler - Every silver lining etc...

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 30 May - 10:28

Yahoo

Can not wait for this, way more exciting then the Lions game!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 30 May - 10:29

Teams being put up today?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 30 May - 10:32

Well done BBC, good to have a couple of England games on free to air TV. clap

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu 30 May - 10:37

lostinwales wrote:Commentator Eddie Butler - Every silver lining etc...

What are you talking about? I can't wait for his montage fuelled monologues and amazing poetry. Rolling Eyes
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 30 May - 10:39

Cumbrian wrote:
lostinwales wrote:Commentator Eddie Butler - Every silver lining etc...

What are you talking about? I can't wait for his montage fuelled monologues and amazing poetry. Rolling Eyes

At least he won't have any French names to pronounce!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 30 May - 10:40

And the players have numbers on their backs s it doesn't matter than he can't get the players right. Also the ref mic means were can find out what the penalty was really for that way.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 30 May - 10:46

Butler is fine with me...is his wife Mr Moore alongside him....best commentary duo in the business...like an old married couple..but as knowledgeable as the best out there...

When are the dates for the Argentina games...great news that they're on TV...

Edit : Ah
South America XV is on Sunday 2nd
Argentina 1st test Saturday 8th
Argentina 2nd test Saturday 15th June

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Thu 30 May - 10:58

I'm in northern Cyprus from the 12th.
Anyone know if I can get bbc2 out there?

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 30 May - 11:03

Yeah i would imagine they'll have it on in the bars if you ask them...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Thu 30 May - 11:05

thumbsup

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 30 May - 13:27

GeordieFalcon wrote:Butler is fine with me...is his wife Mr Moore alongside him....best commentary duo in the business...like an old married couple..but as knowledgeable as the best out there...

Looks like Brian Moore is in the studio with SCW etc
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 30 May - 13:37

GeordieFalcon wrote:Butler is fine with me...is his wife Mr Moore alongside him....best commentary duo in the business...like an old married couple..but as knowledgeable as the best out there...

Can someone post the BBC scheduled prog & ko times @ GMT ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 30 May - 13:37

8pm for both tests
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 30 May - 13:54

thank you CQ thumbsup

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 31 May - 15:18

England team Vs CONSOUR 15

15 Ben Foden (Northampton Saints)
14 Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby)
13 Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints)
12 Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby)
11 David Strettle (Saracens)
10 Stephen Myler (Northampton Saints)
9 Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens)
1 Joe Marler (Harlequins)
2 David Paice (London Irish)
3 Henry Thomas (Sale Sharks)
4 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
5 Kearnan Myall (Unattached)
6 Tom Wood (Northampton Saints, captain)
7 Tom Johnson (Exeter Chiefs)
8 Billy Vunipola (London Wasps)

Replacements
16 Rob Buchanan (Harlequins)
17 Alex Corbisiero (London Irish)
18 Paul Doran Jones (Northampton Saints)
19 Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby)
20 Matt Kvesic (Worcester Warriors)
21 Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints)
22 Freddie Burns (Gloucester Rugby)
23 Jonathan Joseph (London Irish)

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 31 May - 15:18

Team vs the South American XV:

England
15 Ben Foden (Northampton Saints)
14 Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby)
13 Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints)
12 Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby)
11 David Strettle (Saracens)
10 Stephen Myler (Northampton Saints)
9 Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens)
1 Joe Marler (Harlequins)
2 David Paice (London Irish)
3 Henry Thomas (Sale Sharks)
4 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
5 Kearnan Myall (Unattached)
6 Tom Wood (Northampton Saints, captain)
7 Tom Johnson (Exeter Chiefs)
8 Billy Vunipola (London Wasps)
Replacements
16 Rob Buchanan (Harlequins)
17 Alex Corbisiero (London Irish)
18 Paul Doran Jones (Northampton Saints)
19 Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby)
20 Matt Kvesic (Worcester Warriors)
21 Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints)
22 Freddie Burns (Gloucester Rugby)
23 Jonathan Joseph (London Irish)

Basically the players who didn't get to go against the Baabaas. Looks a little weaker to me, also, isn't Burrell a 12 and Eastmond more of a 13? And Wood/Johnson look the wrong way round to me...

Should still easily win and nice to see Foden back, see what May can do and if Strettle can bring his AP recent form along. Odd that Wrigglesworth plays again
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 31 May - 15:18

Jinx, propdavid
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 31 May - 15:18

I saw that ESPN will be showing this game too - happy days

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next