The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland Tour of USA & Canada

+53
Portnoy's Complaint
RDSguru
Pot Hale
clivemcl
HammerofThunor
Hookisms and Hyperbole
MrsP
kingelderfield
wolfball
Ledge the ledgebag
Artful_Dodger
debaters1
Submachine
ME-109
RubyGuby
gleesonisgod
Jenifer McLadyboy
Feckless Rogue
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Biltong
theslosty
The Boss
asoreleftshoulder
Mcgavin Sean
Gibson
GunsGerms
sickofwendy
LondonTiger
Rory_Gallagher
Gretgael1
Mickado
Thomond
Sin é
Glas a du
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Golden
brennomac
profitius
stevetynant
LeinsterFan4life
doctor_grey
Notch
B91212
Standulstermen
The Great Aukster
UlstermaninGlasgow
geoff998rugby
rodders
marty2086
George Carlin
Ozzy3213
SecretFly
red_stag
57 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ireland Tour of USA & Canada - Page 14 Empty Ireland Tour of USA & Canada

Post by red_stag Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok so we're headed over for a two test tour of Canada and USA. Personally I think that there is little to be gained from such a tour. A once off match with USA and another with the Canadians but ce la vie.

The point is who do we want to see out there. We will have some guys on Lions Tour - I suspect Healy, Best, O'Connell, O'Brien, Sexton, O'Driscoll, Bowe and Kearney.

Other guys - like Mike Ross - I wouldn't bother bringing on tour. The man is currently invaluable as we have no depth. Giving him the Summer off rugby increases his longevity and also allows us to find new options.

Our objectives simply should be:

- To win both games
- To find new options in centre
- To find new options at tighthead
- To find new options at fullback
- To play for the full 80 minutes (like against Fiji)

I would be looking at the following team:

01 David Kilcoyne
02 Sean Cronin
03 Stephen Archer

Kilcoyne and Archer were our backups in the 6 Nations and I think its logical we give them a go. Sherry would be a good choice in that it makes an all Munster front row but I think its important to get our props used to scrummaging with a different hooker.

04 Donnacha Ryan
05 Mike McCarthy

Assuming that Paul O'Connell makes the Lions, why not keep our lock pairing from the 6 Nations. We need to make changes in other positions so some continuity is important.

06 Iain Henderson
07 Tommy O'Donnell
08 Jamie Heaslip (c)

Not a popular captain this is a good tour for Heaslip to become the leader he needs to be. The "grown ups" of the team are gone or rested, this is the chance he gets to prove his merits. I think O'Donnell is a better #7 than Peter O'Mahony who I think would make a good bench player. We need to learn how to use a bench and O'Mahonys aggression will raise the intensity whenever he is introduced.

09 Kieran Marmion
10 Ian Madigan

The all Ulster pairing of Marshall and Jackson is probably the more likely given they were ahead in the 6 Nations and already know each others game (especially with Marshall playing at 12). However I think Madigan needs to go into the Summer as the leading flyhalf and Marshall to me is the ideal #21. Its why he looks so good for Ulster, he comes in and changes the pace of the game attacking the fringes of the breakdown like Care does for England. Marmion has been a stand out player for Connacht starting every game and deserves to start. Let Murray have a break along with Reddan and Boss - we know what these guys can do.

12 Luke Marshall
13 Darren Cave

It makes sense. We always knew it really. He hasn't got bags of pace and he ain't the next O'Driscoll but he is an outside centre (a very difficult position to develop). There aren't many out and out #13s in world rugby, why ignore the only proper one we have outside of BOD. He's done the business for Ulster and sandwiched between Marshall and Gilroy he should be in his comfort zone delivering what we saw them do against Fiji. Marshall has been a good introduction during the 6 Nations and should continue in the role.

11 Simon Zebo
14 Craig Gilroy
15 Robbie Henshaw

Regardless of whether Kearney makes the Lions Tour I think its important to see Henshaw start at 15. We badly need options at fullback, we've seen Zebo at 15 but realistically Henshaw should play there. Zebo and Gilroy have I think always looked great for Ireland and should add competition when Bowe returns.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Ireland Tour of USA & Canada - Page 14 Empty Re: Ireland Tour of USA & Canada

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 07 Jun 2013, 8:16 pm

I don't entirely agree with that Stand, I think he should play both 6 and 5 next season. Steve Luatua, who is likely next in line for the All Blacks at 6 played for the U20s at second row (and still plays there from time to time) and said it helped improve his game at 6. At second row he was forced to work harder in the tight exchanges and is now a much more balanced player.

I think the same sort of thing could be useful for Hendy as well. Whether he ends up at second row or 6.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 07 Jun 2013, 8:21 pm

I'd love to see BOTH Henderson and O'Connell in a match together.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by gleesonisgod Fri 07 Jun 2013, 8:34 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I don't entirely agree with that Stand, I think he should play both 6 and 5 next season. Steve Luatua, who is likely next in line for the All Blacks at 6 played for the U20s at second row (and still plays there from time to time) and said it helped improve his game at 6. At second row he was forced to work harder in the tight exchanges and is now a much more balanced player.

I think the same sort of thing could be useful for Hendy as well. Whether he ends up at second row or 6.

Exactly what I was going to say. I think every lock should be able to play 6. I see no reason why they couldn't or shouldn't. The traditional 6 role of being a hard working grafter is what a 2nd row should be doing aside form his unique duties.

Hopefully Schmidt will play a backrow that suits the opposition and if we want a big ball carrying one we should be able to call on 6.Hendo 7.SOB 8.Jamie or 6.Hendo 7.SOB 8.POM. I know Schmidt would probably go for SOB at 7 and POM at 8 tho. For defensive, groundwork backrow I'd like to see 6.SOB 7.TOD/Henry 8.Jamie/POM, or perhaps Henry at 6, there are many potential combos.

On a side note, where is Trimble?

gleesonisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 07 Jun 2013, 8:35 pm

I suspect Schmidt will change very little. There wasn't actually much wrong with Kidneys selections.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 07 Jun 2013, 8:41 pm

red_stag wrote:I suspect Schmidt will change very little. There wasn't actually much wrong with Kidneys selections.

Maybe not the selections but the game plan and the thinking needed change. nice to see Madigan getting the nod. Jackson looks like he is improving as a player too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Fri 07 Jun 2013, 8:52 pm

red_stag wrote:I suspect Schmidt will change very little. There wasn't actually much wrong with Kidneys selections.

Nonsense Stag and you know it. You either pick your very best players for a team and pragmatically develop a tactical plan around them, or you set out your tactical stall first and pick the best players to carry it out. Kidney did neither and presided over a debacle.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 07 Jun 2013, 8:54 pm

It isn't "nonsense". Most of the problems were not selection but rather tactical failures.

Schmidt will bring new tactics but selection won't change much.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:03 pm

red_stag wrote:It isn't "nonsense". Most of the problems were not selection but rather tactical failures.

Well you never know really. There probably will be some changes.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:04 pm

Kiss has already bumped Madigan ahead of Jackson it seems. Who knows what Schmidt will do.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:04 pm

red_stag wrote:It isn't "nonsense". Most of the problems were not selection but rather tactical failures.

No Stag, it really wasn't. It was a key combination of both. Even if his tactical outlook was conservative (which it was) he continually picked square pegs in round holes. Using your best ball carrier (SOB) close to rucks and mauls instead of POM who stood about waiting to carry ball in the wider channels. A simple swap would have done wonders. Of course if you don't pick a backrow player who excels at the breakdown (Henry) and can turnover ball then they will never see it. You cannot play a quick counter attacking game when you have a scrum half who is clearly under instructions to slow everything down (as he is more than capable of accurate quick ball when playing in red) or a 13 (Earls) who lacks basic footballing skills to execute basic moves. Those are just the tip of the iceberg that sank Kidney's Titantic. Warren Gatland has shown that you can succeed with a limited gamplan, and some rather limited players if you pick the right players to fit the tactics (Lydiate over Tipuric or Jones; Phillips over anyone who can pass; Priestland over any 10 with an ability to walk, two legs optional; Roberts over Williams at 12).

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:11 pm

Well lads I don't think I'll watch that lot again in this tournament. They were a joke and didn't even try tackling the limited opposition. Looking at the lineup before the match I thought to myself that its not really an emerging Ireland team. Only Jack McGrath, Heaney, Kearney and maybe Bent would be Ireland potential IMO. Most were making up the numbers. That sounds harsh but its probably true.

Theres no rush with Henderson. He is just starting out and should be gradually introduced. I think Schmidt will rotate his team a lot more than Kidney and EOS did. Gone are the days when Ireland have a first 15.

Really looking forward to seeing Madigan and Olding link up tomorrow night and I hope Henshaw has a good game. Henshaw looks a bit raw but working with coaches like Schmidt and Lam might help him along.

Standulstermen wrote:
I worry for Ruddock and Ryan though. I fear injuries have robbed the latter of seriosu development time and the former just doesnt seem to cut it. With Gilsenan, Leavy etc coming through i would be very surprised if leinster retained both of them.

I've watched Dom Ryan and Ruddock for years and I think they're ordinary enough players if I'm being honest. I was really impressed with Gilsenan for the U20s last season and think he'll go on to have a good career. After hearing the hype for years it was great to see Dan Leavy put in a classy performance last night. At the breakdown and in attack he looks really talented and has another year at U20 level.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:38 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Kiss has already bumped Madigan ahead of Jackson it seems. Who knows what Schmidt will do.

I don't think he has unless Madigan starts again against Canada. If they get a start each I'd say the pecking order is whoever does best on this tour.

At the end of the day, Kidney didn't change many players from O'Sullivans team and Schmidt won't change many from Kidneys because we don't have huge depth- we have a core of key players that any coach in the world is going to pick in this job at any one time. This is always the case with nearly all international sides. 9 of the 10 guys with the Lions are all guaranteed starters along with Mike Ross.

Schmidt will almost certainly pick Healy, Best, Ross, O'Connell, O'Brien, Heaslip, Sexton, O'Driscoll, Bowe and Kearney. That leaves numbers 4, 7, 9, 11 and 12 up for grabs.

I think the scrum-half/halfback combination he picks is an interesting one- who feels complements Sexton best. How he confronts the issue of balance in the Irish backrow is also interesting- Chris Henry could benefit if he decides we need a groundhog 7, O'Donnell if he decides we need a link man, O'Mahony if he decides O'Brien can stay there.

Centres are the biggest undecided element- I think we could see any one of Madigan, Marshall or Olding in there. Given Kidney handed out a very large number of new caps in his last year its not like he can surprise us in any way with a left-field selection.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:40 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I don't entirely agree with that Stand, I think he should play both 6 and 5 next season. Steve Luatua, who is likely next in line for the All Blacks at 6 played for the U20s at second row (and still plays there from time to time) and said it helped improve his game at 6. At second row he was forced to work harder in the tight exchanges and is now a much more balanced player.

Thats another argument Rory. From all that i have seen of irish internationals though ie earls, mcfadden, fitz, donncha ryan etc shifting them about has invariably led to hindering their development.

Im not saying this is an absolute truth but to my mind it makes more sense letting him focus on learning one position but then again he is at the mercy of form/injuries in both departments. He certainly wouldnt have had the gametime and (most likely) the caps had fez been fit.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:45 pm

Standulstermen wrote:all i really hope for going into next season is that Henderson has 1 position and if it is 6 that he is allowed to iron out the flaws in his game. To my mind he needs to up the workrate for a 6 and discipline is an issue although it has improved in the 2nd half of the season.

In terms of raw potential he is the best thing we have seen since POC

Right now, I disagree- I think there is a massive amount he can learn from playing 5 and 6. In both positions he needs to up his workrate and hit more rucks, whether he's at lock or backrow. Getting the experience of playing both will make him a more rounded player in the long run. Hopefully Anscombe gives him gametime at lock and six next year, I think the way Ulster have handled him has been top class this year. There's a lot in common between the two positions. By the time he's 22 I want him settled on one position.

The guy is 20- we keep forgetting that. In terms of second rows most aren't making their international debut until they are 23-25. I think the next two seasons are just about him learning as much as possible, he's still so raw. I think we should just let him learn the game at his own pace with Ulster and let him develop in whichever position he plays best in instead of getting too constrained in thinking about where he should play.

By the time he's 22 he should be ready for a starting Ireland spot in whichever position he's proven best at. He still has a huge amount to learn about the game and lets let him get on with it instead of slapping a label on his head and dare I say- rushing him into the test arena before he learns to smooth the rough edges off his game.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:48 pm

Yeah we have messed up a few players by moving them around, for sure. However, certain positions should be very similar for certain players. For example, Hendy can play effectively at both second row and blindside flanker. Either way, he needs to improve his workrate for both positions. He may have more opportunities to do this at second row (like Luatua had, NZ love to use their tight 5 as primarily winning ball for the faster backs). However like it was said above, I reckon his style of play should be very similar whether he is at lock or at 6. No drastic change.

Another example is the back three. Certain players like Zebo (and even Earls when he remains in the back three) can switch to 15 and look just as good or even better in certain circumstances. Conway is another capable of doing this as far as I am aware. These positions all require positional awareness, a half decent boot, and obviously great attacking and finishing ability. Quite similar in the modern game.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:58 pm

You see when you consider the young forwards that were (to an extent) thrown into international rugby its a short list. Healy was and 3 years later he has become one of the best LHs in the world.

My fear is that we dont see emerge until he is closer to 30 than 20 like Donnacha Ryan. Its a tough one but i would like to see him nail down a position and become world class at it rather than a jack of all.... (not that that necessarily will happen)

There is no right or wrong and i suspect he will have to go between both positions given Mullers injury profile and the fact that Tuohys isnt great either and his form dips. Perhaps i am expecting too much but thats how good i think he is. Thats why the coaches are paid the big bucks

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 07 Jun 2013, 10:04 pm

There's no way he's going to wait until he's 30 before he emerges. He's getting regular gametime at the age of 20. You need to relax- the danger is not that he will take a long time to emerge but that we will rush him. Let him develop at a natural pace.

When he's ready to specialise in one position let him specialise. When he's ready to be an international regular, let him. And not a moment sooner.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 10:15 pm

Oh dear ...a little bit of disagreement creeping in...

Even though i rarely agree with him Stag is of course right. The team wont change much despite the fantasising of some posters..for example Henry is never going to be more than a backup (at best). Or banging on about how a concussed POM did for ten minutes against tuperic (in a game we won).

Regarding oh. Its great to see Madigan get the start this weekend. Its the beginning of the end of Sextons short but limited attempt at being an Intl outhalf...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:48 am

What sunk Kidney, amongst other things, was his total lack of understanding on the role of the backrow, midfield and most important of all the number 9 in implementing attacking patterns.

I'd expect that all these units will be tweaked by Schmidt, even if the personnel doesn't change radically in terms of squad selection.

Really looking forward to seeing how Madigan and Olding go here, these guys along with Hendo are the most exciting players in the country right now imo.

What's clear from the Lions selection is that compared to the other home nations our top players are much older and we really need players to shine on this tour and put pressure on the established guys.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sat 08 Jun 2013, 8:21 am

Awk now DOD you are failing to comprehend me here. I understand why of course- a diet of turnips washed down with turnip juice just isn't balanced enough for a growing boy like you. Side effects include one eyedness, wailing and nashing of teeth. The blood to my brain is pumping thanks to my diet of the Old Testament (King James version thank you, none of your modern nonsense) and marching on her majesty's highways.

It's not about where players are from and your allusion to Henry is beside the point. Kidneys use of his backrow didn't work. His use of SOB, Ferris and Heaslip didn't work. When you bring in POM who isn't fit to lace Ferris' boots in many parts of his game you should change the roles of the unit to make sure it excels. Instead POM tries to play like Ferris and ends up like an inferior version of Tom Croft hiding out in the backs. POMs best games for Ireland are when he played with Henry were the backrow was balanced in their roles, or against France where POM worked tirelessly at the breakdown and at close quarters. Murray wasn't MOTM, it was obviously Picamoles but POM was Ireland's best player by a considerable margin and I said that clearly at the time.

Schmidt might not change the personnel but he will at least look at the players roles and try and change the failing dynamic. However it is obvious that unlike Kidney and EOS he values the role of a more traditional type 7. Leinster are at their best when Jennings is playing. The best individual players don't make the best unit. Look at Wales and Dan Lydiate- by some distance the most overrated player in international rugby. Yet he plays his limited role in a limited gameplan to perfection. Ireland need a more balanced backrow and that means that only two of Heaslip, POM, SOB and maybe Ferris should be selected. You can debate who those players are on their form at any one time. I suspect Schmidt will pick a more traditional type 7 which will either be Jennings, Henry or TOD. On the game this weekend Henry has been picked in what looks like a pretty damn good unit. However on form TOD should be in there instead. Though Henry should have been in green in front of POM in the Six Nations, so should TOD. Henry's outstanding form has faded after his injury and TOD was magnificent at the end of the season and deserves an opportunity.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat 08 Jun 2013, 3:41 pm

Is this game on TV?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by gleesonisgod Sat 08 Jun 2013, 3:51 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:Awk now DOD you are failing to comprehend me here. I understand why of course- a diet of turnips washed down with turnip juice just isn't balanced enough for a growing boy like you. Side effects include one eyedness, wailing and nashing of teeth. The blood to my brain is pumping thanks to my diet of the Old Testament (King James version thank you, none of your modern nonsense) and marching on her majesty's highways.

It's not about where players are from and your allusion to Henry is beside the point. Kidneys use of his backrow didn't work. His use of SOB, Ferris and Heaslip didn't work. When you bring in POM who isn't fit to lace Ferris' boots in many parts of his game you should change the roles of the unit to make sure it excels. Instead POM tries to play like Ferris and ends up like an inferior version of Tom Croft hiding out in the backs. POMs best games for Ireland are when he played with Henry were the backrow was balanced in their roles, or against France where POM worked tirelessly at the breakdown and at close quarters. Murray wasn't MOTM, it was obviously Picamoles but POM was Ireland's best player by a considerable margin and I said that clearly at the time.

Schmidt might not change the personnel but he will at least look at the players roles and try and change the failing dynamic. However it is obvious that unlike Kidney and EOS he values the role of a more traditional type 7. Leinster are at their best when Jennings is playing. The best individual players don't make the best unit. Look at Wales and Dan Lydiate- by some distance the most overrated player in international rugby. Yet he plays his limited role in a limited gameplan to perfection. Ireland need a more balanced backrow and that means that only two of Heaslip, POM, SOB and maybe Ferris should be selected. You can debate who those players are on their form at any one time. I suspect Schmidt will pick a more traditional type 7 which will either be Jennings, Henry or TOD. On the game this weekend Henry has been picked in what looks like a pretty damn good unit. However on form TOD should be in there instead. Though Henry should have been in green in front of POM in the Six Nations, so should TOD. Henry's outstanding form has faded after his injury and TOD was magnificent at the end of the season and deserves an opportunity.

altho i agree with alot of what you said there I think many games that backrow unit i've highlighted provided us with good go forward ball but our ineffective backline failed to use it. hopefully schmidt changes it up for certain games and has a traditional 7 on the bench when a big backrow are playing so we can introduce plan b, and vice versa.

gleesonisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sat 08 Jun 2013, 4:08 pm

Notch wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Kiss has already bumped Madigan ahead of Jackson it seems. Who knows what Schmidt will do.

I don't think he has unless Madigan starts again against Canada. If they get a start each I'd say the pecking order is whoever does best on this tour.

At the end of the day, Kidney didn't change many players from O'Sullivans team and Schmidt won't change many from Kidneys because we don't have huge depth- we have a core of key players that any coach in the world is going to pick in this job at any one time. This is always the case with nearly all international sides. 9 of the 10 guys with the Lions are all guaranteed starters along with Mike Ross.

Schmidt will almost certainly pick Healy, Best, Ross, O'Connell, O'Brien, Heaslip, Sexton, O'Driscoll, Bowe and Kearney. That leaves numbers 4, 7, 9, 11 and 12 up for grabs.

I think the scrum-half/halfback combination he picks is an interesting one- who feels complements Sexton best. How he confronts the issue of balance in the Irish backrow is also interesting- Chris Henry could benefit if he decides we need a groundhog 7, O'Donnell if he decides we need a link man, O'Mahony if he decides O'Brien can stay there.

Centres are the biggest undecided element- I think we could see any one of Madigan, Marshall or Olding in there. Given Kidney handed out a very large number of new caps in his last year its not like he can surprise us in any way with a left-field selection.

Completely agree with this. I think the main backbone of the team will remain for the Autumn and some of the 6Nations anyway.

I think Schmidt will change the way we play rather than who it is playing. To me that means a complete tactical revamp, the S.African style is not what Ireland are suited to and it's not Schmidt's style either, so the team will be reinvented tactically IMO. I am very excited. It will have a huge impact on certain positions though: our scrumhalf is going to have to play quick heads up rugby as opposed to defense orientated pressure rugby, our locks are going to be asked to do more and be more dynamic in what they are doing. Our backrow are going to be asked to get us quicker ball also, their carrying skills will be used but they will be asked to win quicker ball so that our scrumhalf has the platform to deliver it.

In one sentence what killed Ireland under Kidney was: the slow service in attack

That encompasses many things, the 9, the poorly timed pick and drives, the one out runners, the up and unders. All of these systems have a place, however we did use them badly and at bad times.

Schmidt isn't going to change personnel hugely but what will change is the type of players the Irish coach is going to want. First of all they will need high skill levels. That is immediately going to put some guys at a disadvantage in comparison to the treatment they got with Kidney.

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sat 08 Jun 2013, 4:27 pm

What are the chances of Zebo being called up to replace Bowe? If that happens I can't see Zebo playing tonight as he will want to be starting on Wednesday for the Lions to get up to speed

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:11 pm

Looking forward to this now after seeing the US team. They have a serious backrow!

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:34 pm

Manoa and La Valla at 6 and 7- they both play lock for their club sides!

Plenty of ball carriers in the USA side, they've picked a pretty big team.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:37 pm

Manoa plays a lot in the backrow for Northampton and anytime Ive seen LaValla play for the US its been at 7. So they know the positions. Both really good players and Clever is a beast at 8.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:59 pm

Yer 'avin a giraffe Stag.

Id bet Schmidt will fast promote and test Madigan, Marmion, Toner, Henshaw and others, pre RWC. I also predict that Strauss will be No. 1 hooker by then. Some will make it, some wont. But he will bring the very best out of all of them. Its what he does best. Proactive selection rather than reactive selection.

And he has the balls, nous and confidence to do it.

Nuff said.

Last edited by Gibson on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 11:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:07 pm

Notch wrote:Manoa and La Valla at 6 and 7- they both play lock for their club sides!

I have played with and against Scott and he can cover the entire back 5 of the scrum. He's an absolute machine also

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:07 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:What are the chances of Zebo being called up to replace Bowe? If that happens I can't see Zebo playing tonight as he will want to be starting on Wednesday for the Lions to get up to speed

Less than the chance of Madigan being called up, if he shows his stuff tonight. 10, 12 and 15 covered. I believe we need another inventive 10/12, rather than a winger. Both Sexton and Farrell in the same team today illustrates that. If one of them had have been injured, we are phhoked.

I really hope the Lions don't pick him. Really don't. We need him to grow on this Irish Tour. And Lions Tours have destroyed a lot of confident players, after the experience. Or they can make them World Stars.

And he'd thrive in that scenario.

Be nice tho eh? He would be a sensation. zen

Last edited by Gibson on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:10 pm

Pretty sure the Lions need a winger now Gibson, unless Kearney/Halfpenny/Hogg start playing on the wing.....don't see it happening

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:18 pm

McFadden?

Cue the Ulster fans...

Id back Trimble tbh. He is in great form and has the experience and cool to cope with it all.

Will they replace Irish with Irish?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:21 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
Notch wrote:Manoa and La Valla at 6 and 7- they both play lock for their club sides!

I have played with and against Scott and he can cover the entire back 5 of the scrum. He's an absolute machine also

Ulster had him in the Academy and wanted him to wait a year until an NIQ spot opened up, but Stade swooped in.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 08 Jun 2013, 9:41 pm

DOD wrote:Hook..i started reading your reply but couldn't be bothered. I have forgotten if you are a dimwitted anti taig or a d4 head. Either way your poorly disguised sectarianism is a little bit like your views. Old, stupid and not even worthy of an orange lodge in the eighties...as is obvious your beatings as an ail player by the turnip munchers has clearly got to you..

Ah now Decco, get real man. An Oranje Lodge (the cops, the Law, the status quo, the controllers), in the 80's, over the terrified and abused Kafflics, can not even begin to compare to being a Cork man, having to watch Munster play in Limerick.

That must really hurt man.

I like Hook. I also like SIN E. Like the cut of their multifarious virtual jibs.

Cant phhokin stand you tho. You're a very intelligent chancer. guinness
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sat 08 Jun 2013, 9:48 pm

DOD wrote:Hook..i started reading your reply but couldn't be bothered. I have forgotten if you are a dimwitted anti taig or a d4 head. Either way your poorly disguised sectarianism is a little bit like your views. Old, stupid and not even worthy of an orange lodge in the eighties...as is obvious your beatings as an ail player by the turnip munchers has clearly got to you..

Magnificent. A tour de force. In fact that needs italics. A tour de force i say. Completely misses the point and not based on anything approaching reality, but still. I love you. Don't ever change.

If you think I'm sectarian, you should hear me on the poor. I hate them, I really do. I look down at them through my monocle sipping the distilled tears of gypsy children who work as slaves on my farm and just think 'plebs!'.

Don't even get me started on communists. And liberals!

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sat 08 Jun 2013, 9:50 pm

And goths

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sat 08 Jun 2013, 9:52 pm

And people who pronounce foreign words in a faux foreign accent, like spaghetti. In my dictatorship they will be rounded up first

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 08 Jun 2013, 9:52 pm

Jesus wept Sad

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 9:58 pm

I forgot to mention hook...your some langer boy...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 08 Jun 2013, 9:59 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Jesus wept Sad

Which of them? The Prod or the Tadhg?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:03 pm

Gibson wrote:

Ah now Decco, get real man. An Oranje Lodge (the cops, the Law, the status quo, the controllers), in the 80's, over the terrified and abused Kafflics, can not even begin to compare to being a Cork man, having to watch Munster play in Limerick.

That must really hurt man.

I like Hook. I also like SIN E. Like the cut of their multifarious virtual jibs.

Cant phhokin stand you tho. You're a very intelligent chancer. guinness

I am an eigenwijs klootzak....on Saturdays anyway....after te veel rode wijn...however being from Cork that is fairly standard.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:03 pm

SecretFly wrote:

I blame the Buddhists for being smug. Its like Wales not being a real country... its not a religion.

Last edited by Gibson on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:04 pm

SecretFly wrote:

The alliance party.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:04 pm

Your game on TV in UK?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:06 pm

Gibson wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

I blame the Buddhists for being smug. Its like Wales not being a real country... its not a religion.

Wrong..
Definition of a Welshman...prays on his knees on sunday and on his neighbours for the rest of the week...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:07 pm

Eagles History on BEEB 2 right now.

Call me a hippy an ting, but...

Spliffin up children. zen
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:10 pm

DOD wrote:
Gibson wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Wrong..
Definition of a Welshman...prays on his knees on sunday and on his neighbours for the rest of the week...

guinness
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:45 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:

Phook moi, that's impressive there Pete.

Respekt
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:49 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Your game on TV in UK?

I'll send you a link Thunor.

I know you have weird media-morals an ting, but... just in case you are awake bud.

Check your PM.

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Sat 08 Jun 2013, 11:09 pm

I was going to stay up, but I'm failing! Alarm set for 1.40am, see you all then!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next