The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My name's Guybrush Threepwood and I want to be a pirate

4 posters

Go down

My name's Guybrush Threepwood and I want to be a pirate Empty My name's Guybrush Threepwood and I want to be a pirate

Post by Hero Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:57 pm

Don't know if anyone saw it yesterday but the news came out that as part of Disney purchasing Lucasfilm they've decided to close the games division known as LucasArts. Whilst it's spent its later years concentrating mainly on Star Wars for me it was all about the genius that was Monkey Island.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

My name's Guybrush Threepwood and I want to be a pirate Empty Re: My name's Guybrush Threepwood and I want to be a pirate

Post by GSC Fri 05 Apr 2013, 1:45 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

My name's Guybrush Threepwood and I want to be a pirate Empty Re: My name's Guybrush Threepwood and I want to be a pirate

Post by Dass Fri 05 Apr 2013, 4:16 pm

The division that was responsible for the adventure game side of Lucasarts was disbanded long ago, so in that regards I wouldn't be to sorry about things being closed.

A lot of that old adventure team at Lucasarts left for companies such as Telltale Studios and Double Fine Productions.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Apr 2013, 4:22 pm

I think this is a positive move, as LucasArts hasn't been producing top-notch games for a while now. Better to let other developers get their hands on the Star Wars franchise and see what they can do!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Fri 05 Apr 2013, 4:40 pm

Lucasarts problem was never the fact they didn't let other developers use the license rather they were quite a overbearing force in said development. Just ask both Bioware and Obsidian during their production of KOTOR I & II. Of recent games using the license I can only really think of Force Unleashed that was a in-house development.

Its debatable if the decision by Lucasarts at the time to move outta the adventure game genre was a good one financially. There's a still a market for such games there's no doubt but it would be a niche one. From a person who loves games though it killed Lucasarts for me.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 05 Apr 2013, 5:22 pm

KOTOR 1 was great though. Sadly cirumstances didn't allow Bioware to continue with that, them seem to make consistently great games (DA2 aside)
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:32 pm

No star wars republic commando
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sat 06 Apr 2013, 5:11 pm

I'd forgotten about Republic Commando being an in-house production, I know they planned a sequel that was pretty quickly shelved.

I actually prefer KOTOR II from Obsidian over the original Bioware game. It's just a shame Obsidian never got the chance to finish it and it was rushed to release. What I did see with the game impressed me more than the original and it's just a shame it's forever overshadowed by its unfinished state.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 06 Apr 2013, 5:18 pm

Eh, I wasn't overly impressed by the story, still think Bioware would've done more with KOTOR 2, Obsidian had the advantage of building on a very good game.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sat 06 Apr 2013, 5:53 pm

Story was much darker and better for me, plus Obsidian do conversation choice that much better than Bioware. KOTOR II's biggest problem was it being released a year early thus the story was very dis-jointed, unfinished and with glaring plot holes that hadn't been filled in.

Obsidian have their own issues with making games, play style being the main culprit but so far as story, choices and how they deal with good/bad in their writing then Obsidian are streets ahead for me.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down