The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!!

+11
Haddie-nuff
socal1976
Stealth Maestro Agro Love
I AM AWESOME
Mad for Chelsea
michael_o
rafandready
legendkillar
Solerina
cats_r_cool
Wooffie
15 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!! Empty Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!!

Post by Wooffie Wed 04 May 2011, 10:39 am

Mutua Madrid Open

ATP World Tour 1000
Madrid, Spain
date: 1st – 8th May, 2011
surface: Red Clay
prize money: € 2,835,000

Order of Play

Sunday, 8th May, 2011

Centre Court – Manolo Santana

Not before 6:30 pm (5:30 pm GMT)
Rafael NADAL (ESP) vs. Novak DJOKOVIC (SRB)

The Road to the Final ...

RAFA NADAL

def. Marco BAGHDATIS 6-1, 6-3
Juan Martin DEL PORTRO (walkover)
def. Michael LLODRA 6-2, 6-2
def. Roger FEDERER 5-7, 6-1, 6-3

NOVAK DJOKOVIC

def. Kevin ANDERSON 6-3, 6-4
def. Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 6-1, 6-2
def. David FERRER 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
def. Thomaz BELLUCCI 4-6, 6-4, 6-1

So this is it ... after their hard fought battles on the US hardcourts, the world's two best players transfer their craft to the red clay of Europe ... where something will have to give.

Rafa is defending Champion and holds an un-beaten 37 match winning streak on the dirt ... Novak has won everything he's played for this year, and is defending a 31 consecutive match winning streak.

One of those records will be broken today. Will it be the King of Clay's or that of the new Heir Apparent?

Links:
Draw
Order of Play
Live Scores
Official Tournament Website

Last edited by Wooffie on Sun 08 May 2011, 11:19 am; edited 12 times in total
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!! Empty Re: Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!!

Post by Wooffie Wed 04 May 2011, 10:41 am

Morning all

I think Green isn't around this week, so I've followed her excellent lead and just put something up so that anyone who wants to, can follow today's matches.

There's some good ones today, and all the Big Guns are coming out to play.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!! Empty Re: Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!!

Post by cats_r_cool Wed 04 May 2011, 11:11 am

Great stuff, thanks Wooffie. Good to see all the big boys out today. Wonder how many shock results there will be today Shocked

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed 04 May 2011, 12:38 pm

Thanks Wooffie!

What a fantastic day of tennis.......I'll be watching as much as I can of it, on bet365 : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Wed 04 May 2011, 12:46 pm

I shall mostly be watching livescores ... Sad

Good luck to Rafa and Feli!! Vamos!!
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 04 May 2011, 1:07 pm

I am fortunate to be watching it on the TV.

Think the upset could be in the Berdych v Granollers match

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by rafandready Wed 04 May 2011, 2:14 pm

I'm at work and just following on livescores - is anyone watching the Djokovic/Anderson match? Just wondered how Djokovic is looking so far...
rafandready
rafandready

Back to top Go down

Post by michael_o Wed 04 May 2011, 2:54 pm

Djokovic seemed to me to be quite close to his best. Anderson is a much-improved player and was no pushover. Thought it was a high-quality match and I expect to see Novak in the Final on Sunday.

michael_o

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 04 May 2011, 2:55 pm

watched a bit of it rafandready. Djokovic was solid, nothing more nothing less really. Served well (very good first serve percentage, only faced breakpoints once). Anderson as we know has a big serve and Djokovic struggled a bit with it, but was able to up his level at the important moment (3-3 in the second set) and force the issue.

In a word, solid.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 04 May 2011, 3:58 pm

well Del Potro has just bagelled Cilic in the second set, and that means it's Murray-time

Yahoo

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed 04 May 2011, 4:16 pm

Yes Chelsea....it's Murray time Yahoo

They're warming up right now........ camera hasn't gone to Andy yet....how bizarre....oh it has now.

Come on Andy!!

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 04 May 2011, 4:25 pm

Murray happy to work his way into the match so far, keeping the ball in play. Understandable as he hasn't played for a couple of weeks remember. It pays dividends as Simon makes a few errors and it's a break!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Wed 04 May 2011, 4:26 pm

Did anyone watch the JMDP match? Are there any comments?? I'm interested as he seemed to have that leg injury yesterday and was wondering how he faired with it.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Wed 04 May 2011, 4:27 pm

Wonder if the Simon/Murray match will have any "juice" from Simon, remembering their MC match. Wink
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 04 May 2011, 4:31 pm

Murray looking a bit rusty as he serves poorly and misses a few forehands to hand the break back

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed 04 May 2011, 4:35 pm

Wooffie wrote:Did anyone watch the JMDP match? Are there any comments?? I'm interested as he seemed to have that leg injury yesterday and was wondering how he faired with it.

The lady who was commentating on another match on bet365 said there was no sign of his leg injury

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Wed 04 May 2011, 4:37 pm

Thanks Solerina thumbsup
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 04 May 2011, 5:12 pm

all a bit scrappy and untidy so far, Murray hasn't quite found his rhythm yet, while Simon is trying hard to attack and making a few errors. Break points come and go for both, and Murray pings down an ace while breaking his string as he holds for 4-4.

Last edited by Mad for Chelsea on Wed 04 May 2011, 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Punctuation)

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 04 May 2011, 5:21 pm

Murray takes the first set! Scrappy affair but Simon breaks down a bit at 4-4, three poor errors give Murray three break points and he takes the second after a brilliant defensive lob puts him in charge of the rally which he finishes off at the net.

He then serves out pretty comfortably

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Wed 04 May 2011, 5:51 pm

Come on FED!!!!!!

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed 04 May 2011, 6:03 pm

Chugging along quite comfortable at 6-4, 3-4 on serve, Murray suddenly forgets how to play tennis. MY PICKS DEPEND ON YOU MAN, GET ON WITH IT!

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 04 May 2011, 6:05 pm

Andy looks like he is in trouble, so far a real nice match between the two guys. Simon is a really tough draw in the second round on clay just moves so beautifully and hit the balls so clean. A real tough match. Murray I think will take set three though unless he blows his top again.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 04 May 2011, 6:11 pm

http://network.yardbarker.com/tennis/article_external/francesca_schiavone_and_andy_murray_support_pre_match_sex/4671721

Maybe this is his problem !!!!! Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!! 590675

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 04 May 2011, 6:16 pm

A lot of old football managers ban their players from sex before a big match. It does kind of take all the aggression out of you. Haddie you are rather risque for a respectable pensioner!!!

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Wed 04 May 2011, 6:19 pm

Why has murray revealed that to the public? It's not exactly something we would in particular be interested in... Shocked

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed 04 May 2011, 6:21 pm

Ohhhh this is rather close, isn't it? Murray 2-0 up in the decider but Simon is fighting hard for it, that's 3 deuces now isn't it.

IAA, it depends on whether you count Kim Sears a member of the public, surely?

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Wed 04 May 2011, 6:22 pm

Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:Ohhhh this is rather close, isn't it? Murray 2-0 up in the decider but Simon is fighting hard for it, that's 3 deuces now isn't it.

No, I mean as in, it's something very personal and I wouldn't feel that comfortable revealing that sort of thing to the world. Each to their own though I suppose.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 04 May 2011, 6:23 pm

The last thing I want to think about is Andy Murray getting freaky deaky before a match or Schiavone for that matter.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Wed 04 May 2011, 6:26 pm

socal1976 wrote:The last thing I want to think about is Andy Murray getting freaky deaky before a match or Schiavone for that matter.
Erm

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed 04 May 2011, 6:27 pm

socal1976 wrote:The last thing I want to think about is Andy Murray getting freaky deaky before a match or Schiavone for that matter.
Schiavone was going on about it too?! *shivers*

Murray holds, that should probably kill off Simon's resistance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed 04 May 2011, 6:30 pm

I AM AWESOME wrote:
Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:Ohhhh this is rather close, isn't it? Murray 2-0 up in the decider but Simon is fighting hard for it, that's 3 deuces now isn't it.

No, I mean as in, it's something very personal and I wouldn't feel that comfortable revealing that sort of thing to the world. Each to their own though I suppose.
I was kidding. Very Happy

I do agree with you, but that's the world of pointless celebrity gossip for you, isn't it? Some people avoid it, some people try to milk the attention. That's just the way it goes.

Simon's resistance is indeed broken, and so is his serve for the second time in this set.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed 04 May 2011, 6:34 pm

4-3 in the first set between Federer and Lopez on Lopez's serve; traditional Federer break time. Very Happy

And break he does! 5-3 to Federer, he serves for the set.

Last edited by Stealth Maestro Agro Love on Wed 04 May 2011, 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Wed 04 May 2011, 6:36 pm

Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:4-3 in the first set between Federer and Lopez on Lopez's serve; traditional Federer break time. Very Happy

For sure you were correct. Wink

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 04 May 2011, 6:39 pm

Fed looks real nice so far first set, playing very smooth and effortlessly like only he can do.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 04 May 2011, 6:40 pm

well it was always going to be a tough opener for Andy, but at least he's stepped it up in the third.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Wed 04 May 2011, 6:41 pm

socal1976 wrote:Fed looks real nice so far first set, playing very smooth and effortlessly like only he can do.

TBH the same happened last time at MC. Then look what happened...... Crying or Very sad

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Wed 04 May 2011, 6:45 pm

BRAVO FELI!! Yahoo

This is turning into quite a nice match.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed 04 May 2011, 6:45 pm

Murray through 6-4, 3-6, 6-0!

Meanwhile, Lopez and Federer are still battling out the first set, another break point for Lopez though... taken! Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 04 May 2011, 6:48 pm

Murray through Yahoo

Tough first match, and he did well to battle through. Unlucky Gillou, he didn't deserve the third set bagel.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 04 May 2011, 6:49 pm

Comon Feli you are doing a grand job Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!! 479796

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Wed 04 May 2011, 6:52 pm

OMG Federe saved a break point ! Very Happy

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Wed 04 May 2011, 6:53 pm

Keep going Feli ... you're doing great so far. Smile
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 04 May 2011, 6:56 pm

the centre court looks quite a bit faster than court 1, or is this just my impression?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed 04 May 2011, 6:58 pm

Picks wise Federer vs Lopez doesn't matter, so i'm not too bothered about that one... I already botched my picks up after being lured in by Nicolas 'flatter to decieve' Almagro. The semi finals, dammit! Sad

Ah well, at least the majority of the rest have gone according to plan. Like Hanescu, and Montanes, and Ferrero.......... Sad Sad Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 04 May 2011, 7:00 pm

hmmm, tie break time, interesting...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed 04 May 2011, 7:01 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:the centre court looks quite a bit faster than court 1, or is this just my impression?
Maybe it's just the players? 8)

Federer, Lopez, both relatively flat hitters, Simon, Murray, both not very flat hitters. As a result, Federer v Lopez is always going to be a damn sight faster than Simon vs Murray.

Another thing, Murray and Simon in particular are both baseliners to the very end. Federer and Lopez are less baseline inclined. Again, results in a faster match.

Not everything is down to court speed. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Wed 04 May 2011, 7:01 pm

Good luck Feli !!! Yahoo
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 04 May 2011, 7:06 pm

Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:the centre court looks quite a bit faster than court 1, or is this just my impression?
Maybe it's just the players? 8)

Federer, Lopez, both relatively flat hitters, Simon, Murray, both not very flat hitters. As a result, Federer v Lopez is always going to be a damn sight faster than Simon vs Murray.

Another thing, Murray and Simon in particular are both baseliners to the very end. Federer and Lopez are less baseline inclined. Again, results in a faster match.

Not everything is down to court speed. Wink

Yeah you may be right, also the fact that Murray and Simon are great defenders, so make more balls than Fed and certainly Feli could have something to do with it.

Still think looking at the serving that court 1 was playing slower, but not as much as I first thought...

Last edited by Mad for Chelsea on Wed 04 May 2011, 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : esrving isn't much of a word really)

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Wed 04 May 2011, 7:08 pm

Of course I was only seeing court 1 on the telly, but it looked a right mess.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 04 May 2011, 7:10 pm

gosh that's brave, Federer serves a second serve ace on set point down, 6-6 at the changeover

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next