The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!!

+11
Haddie-nuff
socal1976
Stealth Maestro Agro Love
I AM AWESOME
Mad for Chelsea
michael_o
rafandready
legendkillar
Solerina
cats_r_cool
Wooffie
15 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!! - Page 4 Empty Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!!

Post by Wooffie Wed 04 May 2011, 10:39 am

First topic message reminder :

Mutua Madrid Open

ATP World Tour 1000
Madrid, Spain
date: 1st – 8th May, 2011
surface: Red Clay
prize money: € 2,835,000

Order of Play

Sunday, 8th May, 2011

Centre Court – Manolo Santana

Not before 6:30 pm (5:30 pm GMT)
Rafael NADAL (ESP) vs. Novak DJOKOVIC (SRB)

The Road to the Final ...

RAFA NADAL

def. Marco BAGHDATIS 6-1, 6-3
Juan Martin DEL PORTRO (walkover)
def. Michael LLODRA 6-2, 6-2
def. Roger FEDERER 5-7, 6-1, 6-3

NOVAK DJOKOVIC

def. Kevin ANDERSON 6-3, 6-4
def. Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 6-1, 6-2
def. David FERRER 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
def. Thomaz BELLUCCI 4-6, 6-4, 6-1

So this is it ... after their hard fought battles on the US hardcourts, the world's two best players transfer their craft to the red clay of Europe ... where something will have to give.

Rafa is defending Champion and holds an un-beaten 37 match winning streak on the dirt ... Novak has won everything he's played for this year, and is defending a 31 consecutive match winning streak.

One of those records will be broken today. Will it be the King of Clay's or that of the new Heir Apparent?

Links:
Draw
Order of Play
Live Scores
Official Tournament Website

Last edited by Wooffie on Sun 08 May 2011, 11:19 am; edited 12 times in total
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!!

Post by socal1976 Sun 08 May 2011, 9:03 pm

Well, haddie lets just call it a difference of opinion. As you say a win is a win, and I am sure Rafa will be there to lift the big trophy again soon. Maybe next week. But wow, I mean in the last game Novak's backhand was explosive.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!! - Page 4 Empty Re: Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!!

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 May 2011, 9:14 pm

Im taking nothing away from Nole ... but I will repeat he DID NOT PLAY the King of Clay... he played the HC Rafa. If you studied Rafa as much as I have on clay you would understand what I was saying. Rafa moves like a rabbit on clay no one can slide on both feet like Rafa .. he was playing a 10ft behind the base line defensive game he barely came in side the court..he made no adjustments but continued to play the same shots making the same mistakes. Nole was happy to let him make them. I personally did not think Nole played any better than against Belluci last night... For me to turn off a match (whether he was winning or losing) that Rafa was playing is unheard of... his game was boring beyond belief.. no variety of shots-- Nole´s backhand would be explosive because thats all Rafa did was pummel his backhand. Where was Rafa´s cross court passes, painting the line shots, drop shots. No. there was none. Sorry Nole had his win and deserved it but Rafa played terrible. Thats as much credit as Im going to give Nole sorry

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 08 May 2011, 9:22 pm

Haddie, I don't think it was Rafa's best performance, but I don't think he played really poorly either. Anyway you say that Rafa was standing too far back in the court, but that has a lot to do with your opponent. If your opponent is hitting really hard and deep and moving your around, and generally getting the better of the backcourt exchanges then you naturally give ground to try to track the shots back. As for the passing shots he hit a couple but Nole just didn't come up very often, probably out of respect for those passing shots and because he was winning the match from the back of the court. The other guy has to come to net more than a handful of times for you to come up with great passing shots.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Sun 08 May 2011, 9:27 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Im taking nothing away from Nole ... but I will repeat he DID NOT PLAY the King of Clay... he played the HC Rafa. If you studied Rafa as much as I have on clay you would understand what I was saying. Rafa moves like a rabbit on clay no one can slide on both feet like Rafa .. he was playing a 10ft behind the base line defensive game he barely came in side the court..he made no adjustments but continued to play the same shots making the same mistakes. Nole was happy to let him make them. I personally did not think Nole played any better than against Belluci last night... For me to turn off a match (whether he was winning or losing) that Rafa was playing is unheard of... his game was boring beyond belief.. no variety of shots-- Nole´s backhand would be explosive because thats all Rafa did was pummel his backhand. Where was Rafa´s cross court passes, painting the line shots, drop shots. No. there was none. Sorry Nole had his win and deserved it but Rafa played terrible. Thats as much credit as Im going to give Nole sorry

Why did Rafa play terrible? It's because the Nole didn't allow him to.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 May 2011, 9:28 pm

Yes if you say so Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!! - Page 4 56390

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 May 2011, 9:32 pm

socal1976 wrote:Haddie, I don't think it was Rafa's best performance, but I don't think he played really poorly either. Anyway you say that Rafa was standing too far back in the court, but that has a lot to do with your opponent. If your opponent is hitting really hard and deep and moving your around, and generally getting the better of the backcourt exchanges then you naturally give ground to try to track the shots back. As for the passing shots he hit a couple but Nole just didn't come up very often, probably out of respect for those passing shots and because he was winning the match from the back of the court. The other guy has to come to net more than a handful of times for you to come up with great passing shots.

No but he didn´t move in on Nole second serves either.

You all want to believe that Nole beat the King of Clay at the top of his game.. well he wasnt and thats the end to it. Ask all the other Rafa fans they will tell you the same.
But keep believing Socal.. Enjoy your moment... I hope you have some spare wheels for the bandwaggon when one will inevitably drop off !!!!! Because as we have seen in the past ... what goes up .. eventually comes down.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 08 May 2011, 9:38 pm

Haddie, move in on Nole's second serve? Nadal usually moves back on the second serve so he can run around the forehand and hit a monster spin shot, especially on clay. In fact, Nadal rarely moves in on the second and is one of the few people on the tour who actually move furthering back on the second a lot of the times. This gives him time to run around and take a big forehand cut.

But again, I am sure you are hurting and I don't want to rub salt in your wounds. I am sure Novak will lose some big matches in the future. I don't want to gloat, Rafa is a great champion and I am sure he will be back lifting many many more big trophies on all the surfaces. But its not incumbent to win when your opponent is playing his best, you just have to win. Everyone has off days on the tour, few players could even challenge Rafa when he isn't playing well on clay, Novak could and took advantage.

By the way, I can't believe we are moderating smiley faces, doesn't that seem like a bit overreaching on the moderation.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 May 2011, 9:39 pm

Well played to Novak, he gains his first victory over Rafael on a clay court, wins the Madrid title, maintains his winning record and continues to stretch the record for most number of consecutive wins at the beginning of the year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 May 2011, 9:44 pm

Its not a matter of hurting Socal so dont patronise me please.
I just dont agree with you simples
Novak won... good luck to him
I still maintain that Rafa played poorly and Novak benefitted from it. It happens Novak is the flavour of the month enjoy it. It might have been a different story had Bellucci not got injured last night.. now there is one to watch in their next encounter. Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!! - Page 4 484478

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sun 08 May 2011, 9:45 pm

socal1976 wrote:By the way, I can't believe we are moderating smiley faces, doesn't that seem like a bit overreaching on the moderation.

In all fairness on that one, the Mods are thinking of the workers there. Too many smileys and workplaces security systems will block the site. Then no-one can go on it at lunch times, assuming we are all of course well behaved. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 08 May 2011, 9:49 pm

Well, again goodnight all. Congrats everybody, Haddie I wasn't trying to patronize you, I am sorry if you take it that way. As for Bellucci I agree he played great till he gave back the break in the second set, I'll be interested to see how he backs up his result in Rome. I think though that he is in Rafa's half this time around if I am not mistaken.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sun 08 May 2011, 9:50 pm

socal1976 wrote:Well, again goodnight all. Congrats everybody, Haddie I wasn't trying to patronize you, I am sorry if you take it that way. As for Bellucci I agree he played great till he gave back the break in the second set, I'll be interested to see how he backs up his result in Rome. I think though that he is in Rafa's half this time around if I am not mistaken.
He's got him in the second round. A tired Rafa is going to have to go through trial by fire here.... potential shock result on the cards?

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 May 2011, 9:54 pm

And yes in that particular instance Nole was lucky.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sun 08 May 2011, 9:59 pm

socal1976 wrote:But again, I am sure you are hurting and I don't want to rub salt in your wounds. I am sure Novak will lose some big matches in the future. I don't want to gloat, Rafa is a great champion and I am sure he will be back lifting many many more big trophies on all the surfaces. But its not incumbent to win when your opponent is playing his best, you just have to win. Everyone has off days on the tour, few players could even challenge Rafa when he isn't playing well on clay, Novak could and took advantage.

What a highly respectful and graceful post.... Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!! - Page 4 732107 It's often considered that people should be humble in defeat, but it's nice to see people being humble in victory too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4