The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!!

+11
Haddie-nuff
socal1976
Stealth Maestro Agro Love
I AM AWESOME
Mad for Chelsea
michael_o
rafandready
legendkillar
Solerina
cats_r_cool
Wooffie
15 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!! - Page 3 Empty Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!!

Post by Wooffie Wed 04 May 2011, 10:39 am

First topic message reminder :

Mutua Madrid Open

ATP World Tour 1000
Madrid, Spain
date: 1st – 8th May, 2011
surface: Red Clay
prize money: € 2,835,000

Order of Play

Sunday, 8th May, 2011

Centre Court – Manolo Santana

Not before 6:30 pm (5:30 pm GMT)
Rafael NADAL (ESP) vs. Novak DJOKOVIC (SRB)

The Road to the Final ...

RAFA NADAL

def. Marco BAGHDATIS 6-1, 6-3
Juan Martin DEL PORTRO (walkover)
def. Michael LLODRA 6-2, 6-2
def. Roger FEDERER 5-7, 6-1, 6-3

NOVAK DJOKOVIC

def. Kevin ANDERSON 6-3, 6-4
def. Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 6-1, 6-2
def. David FERRER 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
def. Thomaz BELLUCCI 4-6, 6-4, 6-1

So this is it ... after their hard fought battles on the US hardcourts, the world's two best players transfer their craft to the red clay of Europe ... where something will have to give.

Rafa is defending Champion and holds an un-beaten 37 match winning streak on the dirt ... Novak has won everything he's played for this year, and is defending a 31 consecutive match winning streak.

One of those records will be broken today. Will it be the King of Clay's or that of the new Heir Apparent?

Links:
Draw
Order of Play
Live Scores
Official Tournament Website

Last edited by Wooffie on Sun 08 May 2011, 11:19 am; edited 12 times in total
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!!

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Fri 06 May 2011, 7:14 pm

Aw, Sod! Cool untill the tie-break, then Fed stepped up. A shame, I wanted to see the Sod do well, but then Federer is his worst nightmare...

Back to top Go down

Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!!

Post by I AM AWESOME Fri 06 May 2011, 7:20 pm

COME ON! Fed's definately getting into form slowly but surely. Gonna be exciting tomorrow to see that if Federer loses, how long it'll take him to regain his form like Miami.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Fri 06 May 2011, 7:22 pm

Soderling looking much nervier in the 2nd set. This'll be over quickly once Fed breaks, which should be in the not too distant...

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Fri 06 May 2011, 8:04 pm

And there we go. Rafa vs Roger: Round 24 will begin tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Fri 06 May 2011, 8:06 pm

Federer practising the drop shot. Erm

Seems pretty windy out there and evening drawing in. Wonder how that will effect things for this match.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 06 May 2011, 9:05 pm

Djokovic takes first set, Ferrer is just having too many problems holding against Djoko's returning prowess. 0-30 again first service game of set 2.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Fri 06 May 2011, 10:02 pm

Ferrer takes the second set courtesy of some rather dodgy Djokovic serving.

Come on Nole, I want the final to actually be exciting, not another slaughter! mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Fri 06 May 2011, 10:09 pm

Well, well, well. Verrrrry interesting.

Lets see how this pans out ...
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Fri 06 May 2011, 10:31 pm

BOOM!

Djokovic breaks! Very Happy

The match so far has basically hinged on Djokovic's serving. It was solid in the first set, and it gave him a base on which to attack Ferrer, and he seems to be getting back to that level in the third. Early days though...

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Fri 06 May 2011, 10:46 pm

A nightmare service game sees Ferrer hand Djokovic the break to love, and the match, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3! Match of The Day Thread : Mutua Madrid Masters - Day 8 - THE FINAL !!! - Page 3 479796

Bellucci next for Djokovic, should be a bit more predictable than Roger vs Rafa! Bellucci deserves respect for the convincing walloping's of Muray and Berdych though; could be a banana skin for him...

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Fri 06 May 2011, 10:52 pm

Well ... its what happens to Daveed when he faces those players that are better than him. Good for him to at least take it to 3 sets.

It wasn't quite the imperious Nole and will Bellucci have the game of his life tomorrow??

Rafa-Rog first though ...
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 06 May 2011, 10:56 pm

He, he.....Wink
What a match from both, and what shotmaking from Nole....pure beauty!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 06 May 2011, 10:57 pm

Woffie,
what time are the matches tomorrow?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 06 May 2011, 11:03 pm

Novak should have taken it in straights, he just lost focus up a set and break. Credit to Ferrer though, he fought really hard and when he was presented with an opportunity he took it.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Fri 06 May 2011, 11:11 pm

Matches are Rafa-Rog 3pm UK time, Nole-Bellucci at 6 pm.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 07 May 2011, 7:01 am

I almost don't want to watch the Rafa-Roger match, i think it is going to be one-sided and ugly in favor of Rafa. I can't see Roger winning this match on clay, Rafa looks in real top form as he always does on this surface.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Sat 07 May 2011, 12:04 pm

Looking to be a great day today!

Belluci v Djokovic is gonna be interesting. Seems like Belluci is on great form, but he's up against another guy who is on great form too, gonna be interesting.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by graf_the_greatest Sat 07 May 2011, 12:57 pm

I'm looking forward to this great rivalry between Nadal and Federer continuing for the 24th time.

But to put it into perspective a truly great rivalry was Navratilova vs Evert. They met 80 times over 15 years with Navratilova holding a close 43-37 edge. That's astounding, wish I'd seen more of their early match-ups.

It's a shame we don't have women on the current WTA Tour who can be consistent over many years and provide these sort of rivalries. I used to favour the WTA over the ATP for this very reason but in the last few years due to the consistency of Nadal, Federer, Djokovic & Murray I barely watch the women's tour.

Glad to see safe, defensive 'World No. 1' Wozniacki getting trounced in Madrid. A very boring player to watch. Clijsters, Sharapova & Serena are much more exciting shot makers.

Anyways, hope Nadal beats Federer today and easily as Djokovic is going to be a tough final opponent.

graf_the_greatest

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Sat 07 May 2011, 1:01 pm

graf_the_greatest wrote:I'm looking forward to this great rivalry between Nadal and Federer continuing for the 24th time.

But to put it into perspective a truly great rivalry was Navratilova vs Evert. They met 80 times over 15 years with Navratilova holding a close 43-37 edge. That's astounding, wish I'd seen more of their early match-ups.

It's a shame we don't have women on the current WTA Tour who can be consistent over many years and provide these sort of rivalries. I used to favour the WTA over the ATP for this very reason but in the last few years due to the consistency of Nadal, Federer, Djokovic & Murray I barely watch the women's tour.

Glad to see safe, defensive 'World No. 1' Wozniacki getting trounced in Madrid. A very boring player to watch. Clijsters, Sharapova & Serena are much more exciting shot makers.

Anyways, hope Nadal beats Federer today and easily as Djokovic is going to be a tough final opponent.
Sure as hell ain't boring for me. 8)

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Sat 07 May 2011, 2:54 pm

I hope Rog could get some sleep last night... Smile

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 May 2011, 3:30 pm

Any chance of a Bellucci vs Federer final?

I suppose the way everyone has been playing this tournament Nadal should have less trouble with Federer than Djokovic with Bellucci.

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Sat 07 May 2011, 4:23 pm

Federer takes the 1st set! :huh:

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 07 May 2011, 6:08 pm

Roger played well in the first set, but Rafa just kicked it into 5th gear and blew him out in the last two sets. Hurray Rafa loses a set on clay!!!

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Sat 07 May 2011, 7:16 pm

socal1976 wrote:Roger played well in the first set, but Rafa just kicked it into 5th gear and blew him out in the last two sets. Hurray Rafa loses a set on clay!!!

Actually he didn't ''blew'' Roger, because Roger was still excellent. Roger just didn't capatalise on those break points however, but he was still immense. It's just that Rafa is a clay god.lol.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Sat 07 May 2011, 7:40 pm

I have to agree with Awesome. The 3rd set was a lot closer than the scoreline suggests.

Nole in a bit of bother at the moment. Set and a break down. Bellucci is playing really well.

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sat 07 May 2011, 7:43 pm

Bellucci belts a backhand wide, Djokovic breaks back. 3-3 in the second. Potential turning point?

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Sat 07 May 2011, 7:44 pm

Think I just jinxed poor Bellucci. Nole just broken back!

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Sat 07 May 2011, 7:45 pm

Great minds Stealth Very Happy Think this might well be when Djoko takes control.

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sat 07 May 2011, 7:46 pm

Interesting on Djokovic's serve there. Belts it to Bellucci's forehand, and tries to finish the point with a smash at the net, but his racquet just touches the net and he gets a point penalty. laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sat 07 May 2011, 7:52 pm

A superb, clinical hold to love by Bellucci, 4-4.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sat 07 May 2011, 8:02 pm

Fantastic rally between Djokovic and Bellucci there. About 15 shots in Bellucci just clips the net with a cross-court backhand and it dribbles over the net, but Djokovic somehow gets to it and Bellucci can only set up Djokovic to thump it down for 2 set points.

6-4, 4-6 now.

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Sat 07 May 2011, 8:03 pm

And indeed it's going to a 3rd. I get the feeling Nole might run away with it now.

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Sat 07 May 2011, 8:07 pm

An excellent tennis semi final day it's been for us!!! We haven't had one for a long time.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Sat 07 May 2011, 9:46 pm

Novak seemed a bit lethargic in the first set and a half... TBH, at 3:1 in the 2nd I thought the end of the streak had come. But then Novak had a little talk with himself, got a cheer from the crowd for breaking back, which made him smile Smile, and he was again his old self.

This tournament is not over yet and another Masters starting tomorrow! Erm (The MotD thread will be up in a minute...)

Last edited by Green on Sat 07 May 2011, 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 07 May 2011, 10:42 pm

Green, Nole is going to lift that trophy tomorrow....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 07 May 2011, 10:43 pm

I AM AWESOME wrote:An excellent tennis semi final day it's been for us!!! We haven't had one for a long time.

couldn't agree with you more, great tennis, different matches but top drawer. loved it!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Sat 07 May 2011, 10:57 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Green, Nole is going to lift that trophy tomorrow....
keep your tissues close by...

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Sat 07 May 2011, 11:04 pm

sonic_boom10 wrote:
Yeah, we Djokovic fans have been crying since December! Rolling Eyes

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Sat 07 May 2011, 11:05 pm

Green wrote:
sonic_boom10 wrote:
Yeah, we Djokovic fans have been crying since December! Rolling Eyes
Won't be any victory tears tomorrow my friend.

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Sat 07 May 2011, 11:16 pm

sonic_boom10 wrote:
Won't be any victory tears tomorrow my friend.
You're right, Novak winning all these titles... it's got a bit boring and predictable.

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 08 May 2011, 7:08 am

Bellucci played out of his mind in the first set and half, but I knew that match was in the bag when Novak broke back in the second set. Then at the start of third Bellucci looked like he injured his groin and Novak went for the jugular. No wonder he beat up on Berdych and Murray the guy has a lot of potential. Even after he injured his groin he was moving pretty well and hitting well during the points. The story of the match for me 19 errors for Novak in the first set, 9 errors in the second set, 5 errors in the third set. Bellucci was on fire in set one but Novak was missing a boatload of easy groundies.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 08 May 2011, 5:16 pm

WOOFFIE!!!
Good job I checked the time in your article, I thought the match was starting at 6 ...so it's in 15 minutes....GULP!GULP! GULP!!!

I've been listening to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL66n6icM2g&feature=related
for the last half an hour....so am quite tranquil and ready for the match...I wonder what Nole is doing at the moment....crazy stuff tennis is....which is why I love it, GO NOLEEEEEEEEE Yahoo

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 08 May 2011, 5:33 pm

Here we go NITB, I am so excited. I think this is going to be tough, I need some of your world class faith because I am always negative before a big Novak match.(Esepecially when playing Rafa on Clay) I really want him to get this win, it would be another big milestone.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 08 May 2011, 5:42 pm

What a match, what an ocasion for all tennis lovers, off I go...."see" you with a glass of wine in a couple of hours Wink GO NOLEEEE, LIFT THAT TROPHY , PAYBACK TIME, YOUR TIME!!!!!!!!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Sun 08 May 2011, 8:10 pm

And there you have it. A convincing Djokovic win, 7-5, 6-4. Nadal was a bit poor in that match but you have to hand it Djokovic, he was superb and whenever Nadal had a chance to turn it around, Djokovic found a way to thwart him....

On another note, I did tell you all that Nadal wouldn't go unbeaten this clay season. Wink (Neither will Djokovic, for that matter.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 May 2011, 8:26 pm

I personally dont think Djokovic was that brilliant... he played better l against Ferrer and Bolluci... .. Tonight He just waited for Rafa to make the errors... which he did and plenty of them. Rafa was pathetic to be frank. A win is a win but what a boring match

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 08 May 2011, 8:29 pm

Nitb, I am so proud of Novak. And I don't buy all this stuff about Nadal being below par. The guy hits some remarkable shots, he was just beat by the better man today. He was the same player who ran roughshod through Barcelona and Monaco. Nadal came back from a double break in the first set, he hit maybe the most remarkable between the legs lob I have ever seen. He just thought he was playing federer and that if he attacked the backhand he could force Nole into errors. Nole's backhand was on fire today and it needed to be. Haddie Novak hit a whole boatload off winners especially off the backhand.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Sun 08 May 2011, 8:51 pm

YESSS!!! Come on Djokovic! Hopefully will play some part in not allowing Nadal to surpass Federer! Very Happy:D

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Sun 08 May 2011, 8:55 pm

Well, that was a fine match to watch...Smile

And it was about time, I mean 9-0 wasn't a fair record at all.

Only one "invincible" on the tour now.

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 May 2011, 8:57 pm

socal1976 wrote:Nitb, I am so proud of Novak. And I don't buy all this stuff about Nadal being below par. The guy hits some remarkable shots, he was just beat by the better man today. He was the same player who ran roughshod through Barcelona and Monaco. Nadal came back from a double break in the first set, he hit maybe the most remarkable between the legs lob I have ever seen. He just thought he was playing federer and that if he attacked the backhand he could force Nole into errors. Nole's backhand was on fire today and it needed to be. Haddie Novak hit a whole boatload off winners especially off the backhand.

Your opinion Socal. I wont bother to debate it further. But that performance was not the performance of the King of Clay... maybe a HC performance.. but certainly the worst I have seen Rafa play on clay. MY OPINION. He made no modifications to his game during that match.. that is not normal for Rafa

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next