The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

+49
LastDamnation
Conehead
themightyone
1GrumpyGolfer
Adam D
GSC
CJB
Plunky
golfermartin
Seve_The_Great
Redrage
djlovesyou
monty junior
Dave.
Sand
MontysMerkin
Diggers
Lairdy
Good Golly I'm Olly
John Cregan
ALPanorak
AlciG
Hibbz
dynamark
SmithersJones
bluestonevedder
EmmDee57
GunsGerms
McLaren
super_realist
mystiroakey
GPB
Shotrock
princedracula
Bob_the_Job
Skydriver
twoeightnine
incontinentia
beninho
gaelgowfer
Sheldo25
WillyGilly
ralphjohn69
navyblueshorts
JPX
sirbenson
pedro
NedB-H
kwinigolfer
53 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 7 Empty PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 15:34

First topic message reminder :

1).Martin Laird of course; you didn't think I was talking about the guy who's on the cover of every golf magazine and even some others did you? Or even that young Northern Irishman we've heard so much about?

No, Martin Laird's fantastic final round last Sunday in San Antonio not only stuck two fingers through the Ballwasher who doubted his resolve after a dismal nine-month spell. But also earned a ticket to Augusta National and finds himself in the "long shot, stranger things have happened, but not many" category for The Masters. More on that later.

2).The TPC San Antonio, ("Greg Norman designs golf courses to test professional golfers, not to please professional golfers," said Padraig Harrington), certainly looked much easier on the eye than in years past and it seemed that most pros who turned up enjoyed their week; some will hopefully even be back.
But play was dreadfully slow and one young American is just another guilty party who I hadn't spotted before. Daniel Summerhays, good lord, how long does it take you to hit the golf ball? Summerhays seemed to turn to Winterhays during some of his pre-shot routines.

3).And, while our thoughts turn to Magnolia Drive, our annual word in tribute to the Welshman from Bangor, Errie Ball, who played in the first Masters and is still alive today, hopefully to tell the tale, at 102.

4).Billy Payne has two new members this year, one who's just gone up one rung, presumably, on the list of the World's most evil women, the other who got her invite the old-fashioned way, thru' connections. (Have a personal interest in Darla Moore's richly endowed University of South Carolina's Moore School Of Business, so pleased to see her being honoured with a membership.)

5).With McIlroy and Woods striking form, I'd say this Masters, more than most, is almost certain to go to a favourite if, not necessarily, THE favourite. So let's look at some long shots and the owgr Top 25 for a form guide, with all the usual biases of course:

"Long shots, stranger things have happened, but not many":

#269: Angel Cabrera: You may think there's more chance of him attending Thatcher's funeral but, hey, this man hasn't forgotten how to play the game, he's physically fitter, has shown glimpses of form, and knows how to win - and how many can say that?

#56: Well, Martin Laird certainly can! 20th first time around Augusta, 50-something last year, but if he can putt like last week who knows? He hits the ball perfectly for the course, but it will be all about course management and his short game for Martin. The Laird of San Antonio with 22 Sunday putts, or the Laird of Florida when he took eight 3-putts each at Bay Hill and Tampa?

#41: Henrik Stenson: Eccentric as ever but plenty long enough and can putt well. On my e.w. list at 75/1.

#38: Scott Piercy: Thinks he's the best golfer the world has ever seen. Still seething at the perceived injustice of not being interviewed on TV after his demolition of Luke Donald at the MatchPlay. The favourite, in his eyes anyway, and don't you dare discount his chances!

6).21 - 25:
#25: Furyk: Planning to attack Augusta with two drivers but hasn't done better than 4th here and not likely to this week.

#24: Els: Terrible year so far, seems to have lost confidence just when he needs it most.

#23: Watney: Jekyll and Hyde, Would love to see him take the proverbial next step but don't see it this week.

#22: Hanson: 3rd last year but in much better form coming in than this year's version. Wouldn't count him out completely, top ten material.

#21: Mahan: A couple of Masters' top tens under his belt, but something's been missing this past year and I can't see him finding it at Augusta.

7).16 - 20:
#20: Simpson: His US Open win apart, hasn't really had that great a last 18 months. Can't see it improving here.

#19: Dustin Johnson: Augusta National is made for Dustin - no par 5's here for him, but nothing inside the Top 30 here yet, and his dodgy short game will frustrate him again this week.

#18: Dufner: Good start a year ago but faded. If his Dufnering pic's are anything to go by he's still asleep.

#17: McDowell: Top 15 material, doesn't fancy some of the tee shots here and, until he does, can't see him contending.

#16: Garcia: This place frustrates the sh1t out of him. Shame, might get close, but not close enough.

8).11 - 15:
#15: Schwartzel: 2011 winner and no reason to think he can't win another one. Except none of the five South African Major (and Players) winners these past eight years have won since on the PGA Tour. Top three candidate.

#14: Bubba Watson: It's all about his emotions - I fancy a left-hander but perhaps not this one.

#13: Westwood: Nope, not this year, Lee, not until your short game and your long game are on the same page. But, if he can somehow be -10 on the par fives, he'll be right there. Nah.

#12: Poulter: Would love to see Poults win a Biggie but reckon Augusta National is too long for him, too much pressure on his mid and long irons. Top 15 though.

#11: Bradley: Lots of top tens this year and may score another one. Plenty long enough but can't see that short game winning a Green Jacket.

9).6 - 10:
#10: Kuchar: 3rd last year, plods along with that inane-looking, sh1t-eating grin of his and, hey presto, he's right there. Top 5 perhaps, but Green Jacket? Perhaps not, e.w. value though at 33/1 or 40's.

#9: Mickelson: My choice last year and should've, would've and certainly could've . . . . Those triple bogeys did him in. My idea of the man to beat, not scared to win and probably doesn't want it so manically much as Number One.

#8: Stricker: Says he's "still trying to figure out Augusta". I bracket him with Poults, his long game puts too much pressure on his world-class short game; top 20 probable but can't see him in the shake-up.

#7: Scott: No form to speak of this season; plays a bizarre schedule and who knows if he's up for this? Not worth the risk.

#6: Oosthuizen: Difficult for me to separate the two South African Kings: He was devastated by last year's play-off defeat, but can he bounce back? Sh1t or bust I'd think - at his best a sure-fire contender.

10).1 - 5:
#5: Snedeker: Has been out injured for most of the past two months, no cuts made since his early season super form. Certainly has the game, but feel he's still slightly under-cooked for this week. The Sneds of the past year a certain Major winner - just not this week.

#4: Donald: No form for ages. The 2011 model Luke would be a contender anywhere, but not the short-and-crooked version of years ago which has made an unwelcome return - might get away with it at Hilton Head but not 150 miles up the road at Augusta.

#3: Rose: Which Justin will we see? The winner at such top courses as Aronomink and Muirfield Village, or the strutter who flatters only to deceive, but then burns up the final nine holes for a back-door podium finish? Until he can prove that he won't wilt when the heat turns up, I'd have him down as a likely top tenner, not a winner.

#2: And then there's Rory. If his confidence right now was as high as Scott Piercy's I'd ink him in to his first Green Jacket, but his driver left him a bit last Sunday and he won't be "back" until he's back. Not many would be surprised to see him win; me neither, but perhaps not this year.

#1: Tiger: The only person who can beat Tiger is Tiger, and his ambition and anxiety to earn his next Major. Until he does it, I'd bet against him and gamble that Tiger will beat Tiger. As we saw at Bay Hill, though, the old intimidation factor is back and, if he putts like he did in Orlando and hits 60% of the fairways, he'll win this. For me, I'd bet the field against him.

Can't wait though, although we'll have to put up with the unctuous, over-reverential tones of CBS - would be nice to think they'll have a commentator under the age of 50, a breath of fresh air so sorely needed, but no chance of that. The weather should have the course in perfect condition, but there's a chance of severe storms Thursday p.m. into Friday, after which the sun will shine.

I fancy Phil to win, but Bones (perhaps the only born-in-Britain winner this year?) has to keep him focussed. Reckon Louis and Charl will be right there and fancy Kuchar as best outsider, Stenson best complete long-shot.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 19:11; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 7 Empty Re: PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Sand Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 15:47

mystiroakey wrote: I do remember him winning 2 euro events now you mention it back to back.. Very weak fields.. But as I said I can only remember one tourney where he strung 4 good rounds together.. In the majority of PGA events where he has played some class golf he has also played some shocking stuff in the next round or something..

Not sure they were in very weak fields, his second win the week after (winning at his home course) was at Valderama and thats always a decent field. He won last year in Aug on the PGA tour too. Nevertheless, yes your point stands about him not stringing 4 rounds together normally stands.

Sand

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 7 Empty Re: PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 15:49

very week fields. valderama is at the same time as that massive invit only money tourny in asia(forgetton the name). I say it every time valderama is on that they need to scedule it for another time. As it sxhould be a flagship event on the euro tour

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 16:01

mystiroakey wrote:very week fields. valderama is at the same time as that massive invit only money tourny in asia(forgetton the name). I say it every time valderama is on that they need to scedule it for another time. As it sxhould be a flagship event on the euro tour

I disagree about Valderama.

Jimenez, Hanson, F.Molinari, Gonzo, Bjorn, Kaymer, Colsaerts, Rose, McDowell & Quiros were all playing in the tournament that Garcia won in 2011. Missing a few of the top guys but not many.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 16:07

That's good. Maybe better than a normal event. But it would have been missing at least 6 top euro players at the time..

It is still hindered by that other tourney. It does deserve better

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 16:08

I guess the biggest weakness in Sergio's major game is him saying he doesnt think he has what it takes to win one. Or maybe that will just take all the pressure of him, who knows.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 16:10

Weird attitude. I would bet he is on meds.. Up and down dude..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 16:20

Nice to see Alan Dunber playing better today - and Paul Lawrie now two under for his round.
Spain's Armada sinking . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 16:25

mystiroakey wrote:Weird attitude. I would bet he is on meds.. Up and down dude..

Something about him Ive never warmed to personally. Nice swing though.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 16:26

Sergio absolutely did have that "hang dog" look about him yesterday at the post round press conference. I hope he contends and would truly love to see him win this major (or any major for that matter).

Interesting interview with Monty the other day where they replayed his post 3rd round press conference in 97, where Tiger was taking his large lead into round four ... according to Monty reporters "insinuating" that the lead was not insurmountable given what happened the prior year with Faldo and Norman. Monty made it very clear that Woods was NOT Norman!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 16:29

Typical of Phil that he pars the easy par-5 second and birdies the third that everyone else is making a total horlicks of.

Somewhere Tiger's chuckling - and not just because Lindsey's giving him a jolly good pre-round seeing to.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 16:37

tough cut prediction.. Unless one player can go low for the second day on the spin there could be loads within 10 shots..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 16:56

Sandy's gone birdie birdie at 2 & 3 to go -1 for the tournament!!

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 17:07

I would think the +4's will be inside the Top Fifty unless the course plays a lot easier this afternoon . . . .
There won't be any of those squalls and it looks like the afternoon guys will have a significant advantage.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 17:38

Those who have the red button, Garcia's last nine will be shown in a featured group.

And DJ'S group as well I think.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 17:51

Why does Couples always look like such a miserable tw@ on course? Surely at his stage of his career he could raise a smile or two?

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 17:53

he might be in serious back pain.. he might just be a grumpy old man

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 17:59

Garcia hits it into the water on 11

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 17:59

sirbenson wrote:After Harrington more than likely misses the cut today....it will be the first time in quite a while where he isn't exempt already for the following year's masters.....worrying times
Really? It would be a real shame not to see him next year.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 18:02

mystiroakey wrote:he might be in serious back pain.. he might just be a grumpy old man
Well if it is serious back pain, I would ask if he should really be playing golf.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 18:06

JPX wrote:Why does Couples always look like such a miserable tw@ on course? Surely at his stage of his career he could raise a smile or two?

You want Grumpy, look at Garcia, Monty or Poulter.
Freddie behaves wonderfully on the course and respects the galleries........................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 18:08

JPX wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:he might be in serious back pain.. he might just be a grumpy old man
Well if it is serious back pain, I would ask if he should really be playing golf.

he has had it for years on years.. he deals with it, at the end of the day its a pay day

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 18:11

John Cregan wrote:
JPX wrote:Why does Couples always look like such a miserable tw@ on course? Surely at his stage of his career he could raise a smile or two?

You want Grumpy, look at Garcia, Monty or Poulter.
Freddie behaves wonderfully on the course and respects the galleries........................
Fair point, I suppose they all look miserable really, just would have thought someone like Couples at his stage in his golf career would enjoy it a bit more, can't be too many more appearances left for him?

Might just be me, perhaps I'm the miserable one, but I find watching him as painful as, well, reading the "tell us about your game today" thread.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 18:16

Dustin Johnson making his presence known!

Nice.

Too early to start to see the contenders from the pretenders?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 18:18

Finally, Roryyyyyyyyyy!!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 18:19

Just looking at Billy Paynes announcement on the Qualification Changes:

Fall series PGA Tour winners now are invited
Top 4 instead of Top 8 in US Open now exempt
Top 12 instead of Top 16 now exempt from previous Masters
Top 30 PGA Tour Money List exemption now scrapped
All Top 30 Fed Ex remain invited

The qualification criteria remain an insult to the European Tour.

Any of you know whether any European journos questioned Mr.Payne on the Masters continued bias toward the PGA Tour??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 18:25

Eagles are coming fast... another one for Schwartzy at the 2nd...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 18:33

the euro tour is being swallowed. it must be in its worse shape ever.

Rose moving up to 1 under for the day Smile

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 18:37

Dustin Johnson and Lucas Glover as close to local boys as we have this week, apart from Larry Mize who comes from Augusta.

Sleet and freezing rain up here on the West Coast of New England - hopefully the sort of weather you lot will get for Thatcher's funeral on Wednesday. Would be fitting.

Excellent round from Paul Lawrie; there won't be many better today unless conditions ease up for the late starters.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 18:48

Hunter/Franny/Fuji group carrying the wooden spoon in Rd2, together are +20 after 12 holes today Shocked

DJ set to move to -7... that could send home a few, Olesen for sure...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:10

Back to -6 now so the +4's are back in, but for how long.....?

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:12

Great effort so far from an old Ryder Cup pairing (Langer & Lyle), who says the old champions shouldn't be allowed in? Whistle

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:22

ralph,
I'd say they should be allowed in but not allowed to make a mockery of things.
Woosnam admittedly doesn't try to prepare himself.
Stads can't break 79.
Crenshaw can't break 80.
Plus O'Meara's just unsightly!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:26

ralphjohn69 wrote:Great effort so far from an old Ryder Cup pairing (Langer & Lyle), who says the old champions shouldn't be allowed in? Whistle

Let them in if they have a World ranking in the Top 600.............if not, invite them for the dinner!!

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:30

I actually agree kwini; just don't know exactly how you distinguish between past champions of a certain age, especially when, for example, Langer & Woosnam are of a similar age yet their preparation & general attitude to golf these days is so different. Langer gives himself a chance to play well (as does Lyle to a certain extent) but Woosie, Crenshaw & Stadler have no chance of doing anything these days.

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:31

El Pato en fuego!!!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:33

Johnson goes in the drink at 15 somehow after setting himself up for an easy chip onto the green. I could have made that shot
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:34

DJ doubles 15, if it stayed like it is now only 15 players would miss the cut!!

My brother has a couple of quid e/w on Cabrera at about 110/1, not looking too shabby at this (relatively) early stage..

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:35

Has Dustin just done a dozen golfers (plus Tiger) a huge favour?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:40

Life from Rory . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:42

. . . . and a 6 on a par-5 from Padraig - Haven't we heard that before somewhere?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:43

More life from Rory . . . . two shots off the lead!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:44

This is wide open at the moment, unless somebody jumps out of the pack over the next 4 hours half the field are still in with a chance..

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:45

14 YR OLD.

slow player, belly putter. Shocked

he has been fined a shot!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:47

1-shot penalty for the young amateur for slow play, very strange decision considering the amount of slow players who haven't been penalised over the years. Apparently he is about as slow as a week in the jail though.

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:50

Lets see if Paramour has the ba##s to pick on someone who isin't a 14 year old boy as the week goes on.......................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:51

Unfortunate for the little guy but rules are rules
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:54

Only in America.

Bradley, Na, Simpson, China just took one for you.

incont: But the rules are never, ever applied here . . . . . . .

This would be the first time a golfer has been penalised a stroke for slow play since the 90's.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 20:02

What a ridiculous decision, that young man was in no way slower than a number of those mentioned by kwini and maybe others as well... shameful! What a bunch of old sods...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 20:03

Too funny -- that penalty is about as toothless as a UN resolution.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 20:05

1 hour 20 mins to play 3 holes????

What the hell!!!!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next