The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Sergio Martinez Retire?

+10
Strongback
TRUSSMAN66
JabMachineMK2
jimdig
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
BoxingFan88
Seanusarrilius
DynamiteChris
owen10ozzy
davidemore
14 posters

Go down

Should Sergio Martinez Retire?  Empty Should Sergio Martinez Retire?

Post by davidemore Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:59 am

I mean he lost that fight. And from recent performances has been shipping some punishment. Now that his reflexes are going could we see a RJJ situation emerge?

I think so if he faces GGG. I think so.

Sergio Martinez, a very skilled and entertaining fighter born into an era where their just weren't enough defining fights available.

Retire now please.

Or get pancaked. boxing heart Shocked

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Should Sergio Martinez Retire?  Empty Re: Should Sergio Martinez Retire?

Post by owen10ozzy Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:45 am

Davidemore,

Can you not just pose this question on a Martinez/Murray thread...or at least be a bit more detailed. Sorry to seem like a moody bugger but seeing so many 3 line articles started by you recently is clogging the board and in my view needless.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DynamiteChris Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:59 am

Agreed.

Great fighter but his body can't take it any more.

Heavy KO waiting to happen if he fights the wrong guy.

The signs were there towards the end of the Chavez fight, & it was evident last night that his reflexes are slowing badly, dodgy knee, constantly breaking his hands I hope he hangs them up whilst still at the top.

DynamiteChris

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:51 am

Great post dynamite, he's one hitter away from a beating IMO.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:10 am

I think he should retire, but his stock is as high as it has ever been so he won't.

Lost a step in speed and reflex and his style depends on those two attributes.

GGG KO's him
Quillin would have a shot
If he drops to 154 Canelo would beat him
Mayweather would outpoint him at 154, too

Great career but he is 38 and injury prone. Knocked down by Williams, Pavlik, Macklin, Chavez and Murray. Geting tagged regularly and losing output.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:28 am

Huge fan of Sergio, have been for a while but he really looked like a shot fighter last night. Martin Murray was absolutely excellent and was a little unlucky not to get the nod.

He took what Barker and Macklin did and improved on it.

I hope he retires now, he has been a great champion but with his style you can grow old overnight, he gets hit too much and even seems to have lost quite a bit of his speed. I don't want Sergio to be one of those fighters other people make a name off.

Credit to the sport, fought the best fighters available even when he had nothing to gain and everything to lose. He has earned enough money and should get out now.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:43 am

He wont, but he should

Thought for a while that he had been slipping. Poor outings against 2 good but not great brits was the first real signs. He was good against JCC, but Jr is rubbish and martinez absorbed a lot of punishment in that 12th. Heavy injuries at his age are never good and his style is all about speed, agility and reflexes

Someone did a thread a while back on how its the right time for GGG to beat Sergio and i agreed and pretty much everyone will agree with this now

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:48 am

He should fight Canelo, at 160lb, make a load of money, get KO'd and retire. Setting up Canelo v GGG.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:55 am

davidemore wrote:I mean he lost that fight.

No he won a hometown decision. it wasn't exactly a 120 - 108 to Murray was it? The fact is even though i think Murray won, a case could be made for the man who was willing to engage and was coming forward for the majority of the fight. It was close, I had it 116 - 112 to Murray, but I gave Murray the close rounds in the middle that perhaps the judges didn't.

davidemore wrote:And from recent performances has been shipping some punishment.

Being knocked down does not constitute "shipping punishment" he hasn't been busted up beyond all recognition, he's shown heart and recovery ability aswell as the ability to hold on. he's not Enzo Macarinelli.

davidemore wrote:Now that his reflexes are going could we see a RJJ situation emerge?

What you mean going up in weight? Unlikely considering he's a tiny middleweight.

davidemore wrote:I think so if he faces GGG. I think so.

You've never seen GGG fight. look at his record. Go and Youtube him.

davidemore wrote:Sergio Martinez, a very skilled and entertaining fighter born into an era where their just weren't enough defining fights available.

Pavlik, Williams, Chavez Jr.

You really are like a dog with a bone aren't you? You saw the British fighter lose last night so you've decided to rubbish one of the best boxers of the last few years?

Change the record Davide, you're sounding retarded.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:56 am

Wouldn't worry every time a thought enters his head.....he writes a thread about it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:00 am

I thought you'd want the best looking man in boxing to stay in the sport eMore.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:26 am

He once called me a two bit something-or other because I said what happened last night wasnt a robbery. Still dont know what he was saying!!!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:14 am

10000 hits on my previous post and you still hating.

I seen GGG nearly decapitate my Japanese brother in Monte Carlo. He absolutely would beast Sergio now, beast.

Sergio should fight Canelo for a cool 10 million, get KO'd and retire.

Never thought he was the best looking because it's good to stay hungry in this sport.

TRUSSY don't turn on me, not after what we've been through together.

Jab Machine you just don't know. I meant in terms of getting KO'd in reference to RJJ. I'm not such a patriot I can't accept a Brit losing. I've lived all over the world and England turned it's back on me when I got there as a young Scottish boy so back up. A fight can be close and clinically won. A fighter wins by one clear round then it's as much a win as twelve rounds. Listen to me before you drop another God awful cliche on my thread.

Kingraf you got caught in the crossfire it happens sometimes but you play like a champion and keep your d*** up. Hell of a game son, hell of a game.

Feel me?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:16 am

davidemore wrote:10000 hits on my previous post and you still hating.

I seen GGG nearly decapitate my Japanese brother in Monte Carlo. He absolutely would beast Sergio now, beast.

Never thought he was the best looking because it's good to stay hungry in this sport.

Jab Machine you just don't know. I meant in terms of getting KO'd in reference to RJJ. I'm not such a patriot I can't accept a Brit losing. I've lived all over the world and England turned it's back on me when I got there as a young Scottish boy so back up. A fight can be close and clinically won. A fighter wins by one clear round then it's as much a win as twelve rounds. Listen to me before you drop another God awful cliche on my thread.

Kingraf you got caught in the crossfire it happens sometimes but you play like a champion and keep your d*** up. Hell of a game son, hell of a game.

Feel me?

10000 hits.....and that's what it's all about isn't it kid??...You're so transparent..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:25 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Feel me?

10000 hits.....and that's what it's all about isn't it kid??...You're so transparent..

One Direction get a lot of hits on youtube (so I'm told...), doesn't make them good either.

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:28 am

Tumbling Dice, how be thee? Who are One Direction. Those four guys who used to be on Jonathon Ross back when it was on BBC 1? The ones that loved to wear pink. Do you know them?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:42 am

Martinez has nothing left, he will be punished badly by a world level fighter with KO power now.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:43 am

Well if last night is anything to go by, retirement is perhaps something Martinez should at the very least be considering.

Granted, talk of his demise hasn't come totally out of nowhere, as we've seen that he took a little while to warm to the task fully against Barker and Macklin and, with his age pushing forty in the not too distant future, there was always that nagging doubt at the back of everyone's mind.

But I have to admit, I was having trouble believing that I was watching the same fighter in the early hours this morning! Sergio's always taken liberties with his dangling hands, but his speed still seemed in pretty fine fettle in the aforementioned fights, as well as the Chavez bout. But if the Murray fight was indicative of where he's at right now, his speed may have deserted him in a hurry, as it did with Roy a few years back, because I've never seen him look so sluggish, and Murray is hardly a speed merchant himself.

I was a little surprised at how repetitive his attacks were as well. Murray's got his strengths, but for all of them he is incapable of countering (as his defence is to simply stick the ear muffs on and always to take the full combination on them before looking to reply once the other man retreats or just stops throwing - he's never really in a position to counter), and as a result Martinez did have time to set things up. With that in mind, I'd have expected more variation from him, but he seemed extremely reliant on his one-two, which had lost a lot of its snap by about the seventh or eighth round and, of course, which Murray had a fairly easy time catching on his gloves for the most part.

Murray's a good fighter, but I do think that a 2010 Martinez would have claimed a much more convincing and impressive win over him.

Not a totally shot fighter, but looks to be one in decline.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Feel me?

He would still beat canelo IMO

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:32 pm

Thing about Martinez is the energy he uses up fighting the way he fights. He's defensively solid but not through bobbing or slipping but by using so much lateral movement and always throwing punches while he does it

He just can't sustain it for 12 anymore. Throughout his career, he has always seemed to struggle in te middle rounds, but always gets a second wind in the latter rounds. Perhaps he can't seem to get that second wind anymore which makes his defence extremely loose and open to clean hard shots

He broke his hand against Murray and Dibella said he's 90% likely to be out for the rest of the year, another 7+ months out of the ring that will hurt his body even more. He always picks up injuries when he fights and as you age it becomes harder and harder to recover from them

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:40 pm

The hand injury, I think, is a minor problem (I mean his a boxer!!). The real problem is that the knee is stuffed again. Like Schalk Burger (rugby player, admittedly) said, the knee/leg area is the engine room, if that has failed you doubts start to creep in, as well as the very real fear that he may never regain full mobilty.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:58 pm

Not so much the injury, although the frequency of them is a little worrying, but the time out of the ring/gym that he's going to have at his age. Dibella has already said that they won't fight again this year which means its perhaps more serious than they have told us

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Martinez's biggest problem is that he's now rated as one of the best fighters on the planet and can earn himself a decent wedge for the first time in his career but recognition has come far too late. If he was 28 there wouldn't be anyone complaining about him carrying on but as he's only got a a couple of years left, he's going to push himself for that "one last big payout" then ""one more" and "ok, just one more then that's definitely it"

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:23 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Change the record Davide, you're sounding retarded.

Jabmachine, you seem absolutely obsessed with constantly sniping at emore. It seems like about 1/2 your posts are insults or calls for him to get banned. Strange because you only really adopt this superior attitude with him. I would have thought you'd maybe have a bit more humility after the whole 'I sparred with Kell Brook" incident complete with awkward apology. I don't usually get involved in the non-boxing related squabbles on here (aside from finding myself getting occasionally drawn in by a lengthy and sustained Az wind up), but I felt the need to point this one out.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:27 pm

Thanks Boxthis. TRUSSY it aint all about the adulation, baby.

I think Sergio will take a real beating if he doesn't retire now. He wont step down from world level, and at world level you have big hitters: Kid Chocolate, GGG, Mack the Knife, CW fighter Chavez Jr. I mean he will take some punishment and could suffer badly for it.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:27 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
JabMachineMK2 wrote:Change the record Davide, you're sounding retarded.

Jabmachine, you seem absolutely obsessed with constantly sniping at emore. It seems like about 1/2 your posts are insults or calls for him to get banned. Strange because you only really adopt this superior attitude with him. I would have thought you'd maybe have a bit more humility after the whole 'I sparred with Kell Brook" incident complete with awkward apology. I don't usually get involved in the non-boxing related squabbles on here (aside from finding myself getting occasionally drawn in by a lengthy and sustained Az wind up), but I felt the need to point this one out.
I agree, personal insults and wind-ups are only for the stupid...you idiot!

Hang on........

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:29 pm

When I think of fighters like: Sergio, Khan, RJJ in his prime, I worry.

They love to entertain and be flash, but that means they need to remain uber fit and injury free, and... retain speed and reflexes. When their attributes go they don't adapt, that's when it gets ugly IMO.

Naz was smart in that sense.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:29 pm

I suggest you go through all my posts and name the 500+ occasions I've "sniped" at Davide before making such a statement. I've been here for a long time and considering the fact I have been banned and kicked around by the moderation team in varying shapes and forms for considerably less than the tripe I see Davide getting away with - yes you'll see me getting irritated. I like these boards, and they're a considerably poorer place with Davide posting 3/4 topics a day based on the same things yet with him subliminally or openly insulting others.

Infact I may just leave until he's kicked off.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:32 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:I suggest you go through all my posts and name the 500+ occasions I've "sniped" at Davide before making such a statement. I've been here for a long time and considering the fact I have been banned and kicked around by the moderation team in varying shapes and forms for considerably less than the tripe I see Davide getting away with - yes you'll see me getting irritated. I like these boards, and they're a considerably poorer place with Davide posting 3/4 topics a day based on the same things yet with him subliminally or openly insulting others.

You'll be gone a while...DAVIDE is immune to censure for some inexplicable reason

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:37 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:

It maybe wouldn't be a bad idea. He seems to incite an inordinate amount of anger in you.

Last edited by Boxtthis on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:42 pm

Tell me how other people manage to cope? When I see the guys I respect called "numpties" and having the same cliches bandied back and forth again and again, anyone who disagrees with him being insulted and then when people agree or post on his topics he posts things like "I agree" and "good insight"

Honestly, I do this with no agenda other than to preserve the boxing board, I appreciate its unpopular to bash someone else on these boards, god knows me and Truss had our run ins but this is genuinely something that bothers me. It shouldn't!

HOW DO I COPE. I FOE THE GUY AND HE'S STILL SPAMMING TOPICS SO I CAN'T IGNORE HIM FULLY. HE'S INSULTING PEOPLE I RESPECT...

rawrawr

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:48 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Tell me how other people manage to cope? When I see the guys I respect called "numpties" and having the same cliches bandied back and forth again and again, anyone who disagrees with him being insulted and then when people agree or post on his topics he posts things like "I agree" and "good insight"

Honestly, I do this with no agenda other than to preserve the boxing board, I appreciate its unpopular to bash someone else on these boards, god knows me and Truss had our run ins but this is genuinely something that bothers me. It shouldn't!

HOW DO I COPE. I FOE THE GUY AND HE'S STILL SPAMMING TOPICS SO I CAN'T IGNORE HIM FULLY. HE'S INSULTING PEOPLE I RESPECT...

rawrawr

My posts hold true.

The grass is always greener on the other side, Jabmachine. You don't have to leave because you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Things will look better in the morning brother, what goes around comes around, don't make it rain cats and dogs on here...

Are you not entertained? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Boxing's an entertainment sport, so why shouldn't we have some of that on here, some Mayweatheresque beauty (me), who manages to annoy others, unintentionally.

Like I said at the start, my posts hold true. Show me another post that clocked 10000 this week. The fact of the matter is i bring far more conversation to this board than i take away from it, far more. If someone HAD to go it be you because all you do is get upset, cranky, a bit well, you can be a mook mate, a real mook.

Just chillout and come on the journey. Be entertained.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:54 pm

davidemore wrote:
JabMachineMK2 wrote:Tell me how other people manage to cope? When I see the guys I respect called "numpties" and having the same cliches bandied back and forth again and again, anyone who disagrees with him being insulted and then when people agree or post on his topics he posts things like "I agree" and "good insight"

rawrawr

My posts hold true.

The grass is always greener on the other side, Jabmachine. You don't have to leave because you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Things will look better in the morning brother, what goes around comes around, don't make it rain cats and dogs on here...

Are you not entertained? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Boxing's an entertainment sport, so why shouldn't we have some of that on here, some Mayweatheresque beauty (me), who manages to annoy others, unintentionally.

Like I said at the start, my posts hold true. Show me another post that clocked 10000 this week. The fact of the matter is i bring far more conversation to this board than i take away from it, far more. If someone HAD to go it be you because all you do is get upset, cranky, a bit well, you can be a mook mate, a real mook.

Just chillout and come on the journey. Be entertained.
The "fact" is DAVIDE that you (in this guise and the rather sad and pathetic persona you crafted on the old 606) may very well bring conversation to the board but when the majority of it is from posters asking you not be be such a (fill in favourite Davide relate comment), it hardly constitutes a postive. Whilst some will say, ignore him if you don't like him" there's also another school of thought which suggests certain aspects of your behaviour should be curtailed with immediate effect.

Yes, you may create a few good articles occasionally but please don't labour under the misapprehension that you're giving us 24 carat gold on a regular basis.

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:14 pm

Who began this not boxing related debate Dave667? And who continues to react to it? I rest my case.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:16 pm

davidemore wrote:Who began this not boxing related debate Dave667? And who continues to react to it? I rest my case.
If only you would

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:39 pm

Lol.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:54 pm

There's no shame in admitting you like me and my posts when related to boxing. I like you guys. I do.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:57 pm

previous post 11:39hrs... next post (by same poster) 13:54hrs

Davide, animal necrophilia and bestiality isn't endearing. Move on son, move on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down