The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who will be the stand out player for the Lions?

+26
thebluesmancometh
t1000advancedprototype
Taylorman
profitius
theslosty
George Carlin
damage_13
bluestonevedder
Taffineastbourne
Luckless Pedestrian
flyhalffactory
westisbest
Mickado
No 7&1/2
dummy_half
nathan
RubyGuby
kiakahaaotearoa
maestegmafia
Scrumpy
formerly known as Sam
GunsGerms
fa0019
LondonTiger
rodders
wanderingdragon
30 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who will be the stand out player for the Lions? - Page 2 Empty Who will be the stand out player for the Lions?

Post by wanderingdragon Fri 3 May 2013 - 4:23

First topic message reminder :

There has been lots of talk about who people don't like who has been picked. What about looking at the positives from who has? So my question is this - who will be the (let's say top 3) stand out players for the Lions?

I'm going for Halfpenny, Alun Wyn Jones and Cian Healy

Fire away!

wanderingdragon

Back to top Go down

Who will be the stand out player for the Lions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will be the stand out player for the Lions?

Post by maestegmafia Sat 4 May 2013 - 10:25

Taylorman wrote:No ones mentioned it but if the Lions win I'm guessing Farrell. He'll kick the goals, keep the ball in front of the Lions and uphold the 10 man tradition. 10's always figure well in big wins over SH sides and Farrell will be the first choice 10- Gatlands already hinted at that.

Sub Farrell for sexton in your post and you might be spot on. I think Farrell has been a big surprise making it on tour ahead of many far better players.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Who will be the stand out player for the Lions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will be the stand out player for the Lions?

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 4 May 2013 - 10:27

maestegmafia wrote:
Taylorman wrote:No ones mentioned it but if the Lions win I'm guessing Farrell. He'll kick the goals, keep the ball in front of the Lions and uphold the 10 man tradition. 10's always figure well in big wins over SH sides and Farrell will be the first choice 10- Gatlands already hinted at that.

Sub Farrell for sexton in your post and you might be spot on. I think Farrell has been a big surprise making it on tour ahead of many far better players.

Disagree totally MM, Farrell is there on merit, he was the 10 of the 6N by a country mile, followed by Biggar who did little wrong but didn't excite either.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by wanderingdragon Sat 4 May 2013 - 13:47

thebluesmancometh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Disagree totally MM, Farrell is there on merit, he was the 10 of the 6N by a country mile, followed by Biggar who did little wrong but didn't excite either.

Saying Farrell was the 10 of the 6N by a mile doesn't say much when you look at his competition:

Ireland - Paddy Jackson - improving but not international class yet
Scotland - Laidlaw, Weir - enough said
Wales - Biggar - solid but not exactly exciting
Italy - exactly
France - Michalak - comical

On that basis, yes Farrell should be there but he has had 2 really big games (grand Slam game and Heineken semi) where he has been woeful. I hope he plays really well in Aus as the Lions are in trouble if he doesn't as I don't believe Sexton will manage 80 mins in all 3 tests.

wanderingdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Tue 11 Jun 2013 - 16:39

5 standout players so far?

In no particular order...

Tipuric
BOD
North
SOB
Vunipola
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 11 Jun 2013 - 16:53

Man of the series thus far has been Vunipola... but that won't matter if he doesn't perform in the test series.

Halfpenny may get it for his goal kicking if it keeps us in the hunt.

Most of the man of the series have been blindside flankers if I recall of late. Teague in 89, Clarke in 93 (not certain but he was standout), Jones in 05.

Davidson in 97 and Roberts in 09 although I can't remember who picked up the award in 01... Rob Henderson???

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 11 Jun 2013 - 16:57

Wasnt Jones playing no.8 in 2005?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 11 Jun 2013 - 17:00

yeah you're right... he played 8 in the 2nd and 3rd test

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 11 Jun 2013 - 17:08

theslosty wrote:5 standout players so far?

Tipuric
BOD
North
SOB
Vunipola

for me in no particular order:

Bowe, Halfpenny, Vunap, POC, North, Tipuric, BOD and SOB

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by wanderingdragon Thu 13 Jun 2013 - 8:24

I think Stevens has really stood out so far - mainly because he looks completely out of his depth!

wanderingdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by valtrepkos Thu 13 Jun 2013 - 8:33

North for me so far

valtrepkos

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Thu 13 Jun 2013 - 8:51

theslosty wrote:5 standout players so far?

Tipuric
BOD
North
SOB
Vunipola

+1 i'd add heaslip to that list too

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 13 Jun 2013 - 9:53

We've had 1 real game so players standing out is a bit of a moot point until things start to get abrasive and competitive - In that 1 real game North remained consistent along with Bowe whilst the other cadidates were able to reveal some of their failings thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 13 Jun 2013 - 9:58

So far North, Vinapola and Gray have impressed me the most. Current front runner is Vinapola, the way he stepped up in the wake of injuries to the other looseheads on tour showed his fitness, strength and grit to see through those tough 1st 3 matches.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2