The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scott Johnson appointed as Director of Rugby

+5
SecretFly
tigertattie
RDW
Imperialbigdave
GLove39
9 posters

Go down

Scott Johnson appointed as Director of Rugby Empty Scott Johnson appointed as Director of Rugby

Post by GLove39 Fri 03 May 2013, 1:12 pm

Johnson, who coached Scotland to a third place in the 2013 RBS 6 Nations Championship, will remain as head coach of the national team until that position is filled and will continue to have involvement with the Scotland team through until the 2015 Rugby World Cup and beyond.

For June’s quadrangular tournament involving South Africa, Samoa and Italy, Johnson will be joined by Jonathan Humphreys, as Scotland’s forwards coach, a man who has steered his club to the most league titles in Celtic rugby.

A worldwide search to identify the head coach who will take Scotland to the 2015 Rugby World Cup is on-going.
Scottish Rugby’s Chief Executive, Mark Dodson, has been working with Johnson for some time to assemble the required coaching talent for both the national team and Edinburgh Rugby.

Mark Dodson said: “It’s imperative that we get the right candidate as head coach of the national team to take us to the 2015 Rugby World Cup and Scott and I are working together on this and have thought long and hard about the best solution and people for Scottish Rugby to continue to head in the right direction.

Be interesting to know who the SRU are speaking to as part of this worldwide search..?

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Scott Johnson appointed as Director of Rugby Empty Re: Scott Johnson appointed as Director of Rugby

Post by Imperialbigdave Fri 03 May 2013, 1:28 pm

So weve just hired an assistant coach, and now it appears that Johnson will not necessarily be the head coach... you couldnt script this kind of farcical thinking by the SRU.

Dont get me wrong, I think Johnson could be a very good appointment, but you dont hire assistants before heads...
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Scott Johnson appointed as Director of Rugby Empty Re: Scott Johnson appointed as Director of Rugby

Post by RDW Fri 03 May 2013, 1:32 pm

Really don't know what these 'Director of Rugby' people actually do....

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 03 May 2013, 1:39 pm

Hmmm. Looks like Johnson is not going to be the head dude! Surely they cannot say he is going to look after the role till they find somoene then give it to him?

Said it before and I will say it again. Johnson is not the man for the top job but he should be kept on as an attack/backs coach which seems to be were this is heading.

Happy Tiger
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 03 May 2013, 1:52 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Really don't know what these 'Director of Rugby' people actually do....

They do a lot of knowing frowns and wise-eyed deep-though staring in the stands as they hover close to or above the Head Coach. I know they do that - but the other stuff? Yeah, I sometimes wonder about that too.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by wanderingdragon Fri 03 May 2013, 2:04 pm

Johnson can be great in press conferences if nothing else. When he was in charge of Wales he upset the kiwis by describing New Zealand as 'a poxy island in the South Pacific'. He was told to apologise at the pre-game conference and came up with 'I apologise for describing New Zealand as a poxy island in the South Pacific. It's not one island , it's two!" Genius!

wanderingdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Fri 03 May 2013, 2:16 pm

This is some weird behaviour from the SRU, I can see them having to remove Humphries from his post when the new head coach decides he wants to appoint his own forwards coach (or if the new head coach is a forwards man himself of course)! But we know the SRU don't like sacking people as it costs too much, so they will just move him into another position in the organisation, for example - hmmm... oh I don't know - maybe Edinburgh coach!!!

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 03 May 2013, 3:45 pm

It sounds crazy in isolation, Pat, but it's entirely plausible given the SRU's past performance.

Even if he doesn't get shunted to the Edinburgh job, the SRU will create a quango-type position like 'Regional Coordinator for Player Development, Skills, Passion and Love-making'.

I already have my application drawn up.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 03 May 2013, 3:47 pm

IanBru wrote:It sounds crazy in isolation, Pat, but it's entirely plausible given the SRU's past performance.

Even if he doesn't get shunted to the Edinburgh job, the SRU will create a quango-type position like 'Regional Coordinator for Player Development, Skills, Passion and Love-making'.

Laugh

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 03 May 2013, 3:53 pm

IanBru wrote:It sounds crazy in isolation, Pat, but it's entirely plausible given the SRU's past performance.

Rumour has it that is Chunk's next role...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 03 May 2013, 6:10 pm

SecretFly wrote:

Laugh
I can provide glowing references.

RDW_Scotland wrote:Rumour has it that is Chunk's next role...
Chunk would take it - the man even has a theme song.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 03 May 2013, 8:01 pm

I'm not concerned about this, it seems the SRU are at least aware of Johnsons weaknesses. Best of a bad situation imo. Let's hope they make a good choice with our new head coach.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down