The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eddie Jones appointed Director of Rugby at Suntory Goliath (on a consultancy basis)

4 posters

Go down

Eddie Jones appointed Director of Rugby at Suntory Goliath (on a consultancy basis) Empty Eddie Jones appointed Director of Rugby at Suntory Goliath (on a consultancy basis)

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 14 Nov 2019, 9:59 am

Not entirely sure what "Director of Rugby on a consultancy basis" might be

He is scheduled to be in Japan in the middle of next month, subject to England commitments. Part of me wonders how this sits with the RFU, while another part thinks he's such a workaholic, having another outlet for his attention isn't necessarily a bad thing.

https://twitter.com/FreemanrugbyJPN/status/1194829662758682624

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Eddie Jones appointed Director of Rugby at Suntory Goliath (on a consultancy basis) Empty Re: Eddie Jones appointed Director of Rugby at Suntory Goliath (on a consultancy basis)

Post by Gooseberry Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:11 am

Not quite on the Gatland/Lions scale is it.  A lot of international coaches have other jobs roles as consultants and/or media work. if his contract with the RFU allows it then they cant really have an issue with it, although he cant really moan about being away from home a lot etc. 

Id imagine an international coach has quite a lot of quiet spots in their diary, followed by periods of intense stressful work. Probably why the RFU felt Lancaster as a PE teacher was well qualified for the job.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Eddie Jones appointed Director of Rugby at Suntory Goliath (on a consultancy basis) Empty Re: Eddie Jones appointed Director of Rugby at Suntory Goliath (on a consultancy basis)

Post by SecretFly Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:17 am

First tentative publicity step for a route out of the England job?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:19 am

It seems the new home of mucho bucks Rugby will move from France to Japan.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:31 am

SecretFly wrote:First tentative publicity step for a route out of the England job?
He's had a high profile in Japan throughout his England tenure. He's published books, given speeches, and featured in marketing campaigns for several major firms (including Suntory).

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:43 am

Rugby Fan wrote:
SecretFly wrote:First tentative publicity step for a route out of the England job?
He's had a high profile in Japan throughout his England tenure. He's published books, given speeches, and featured in marketing campaigns for several major firms (including Suntory).

I get all that.  Eddie has Japanese blood - married to a Japanese woman.  I get that it's no eye opener that he has continuing active associations with the country.  
And now he's a 'kinda' director of rugby with a real rugby team operating out of Japan.  So, he's already made hints that he mightn't go on in England's high pressure zone even before the WC, thus not a totally pointless question regarding his full intentions in the months ahead.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:47 am

I'd say he feels his job with England is largely done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 14 Nov 2019, 11:34 am

miaow wrote:I'd say he feels his job with England is largely done.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is giving his future some thought. Since his experience losing the Australia job, and then the Reds, he's left every subsequent post on his own terms. He's seen how quickly England pundits can turn on you, so he knows it's unlikely to be a smooth run if he does decide on another four years.

Then again, England must be a great toy box for any coach who can live with the scruting you inevitably get in the job. I heard Jones say he hasn't watched the final again, and doesn't think he'll ever get around to it. I felt the same about the Lions Second Test loss in 2009. He'll probably have a better idea of whether he wants another World Cup cycle with England after the next Six Nations campaign.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 14 Nov 2019, 12:31 pm

He'll see out his two years then leave.

I hope the RFU get the Grand Slam/6 Nations Champion t-shirts on order.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down