The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Race to London - Wawrinka will rise above Fed

+3
hawkeye
The Special Juan
invisiblecoolers
7 posters

Go down

Race to London - Wawrinka will rise above Fed Empty Race to London - Wawrinka will rise above Fed

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 11 May 2013, 7:43 pm

Just on an interesting note if Wawrinka win the encounter today he will lead Fed in Race to London, I do remember how serious Race to london was considered in this forum, so is it high time according to some knowledgeable posters to call Wawrinka the Swiss no.1 player at the moment?

Federer will alteast go 1 position down to 11 in the Race and @ 12 will be his generation player Tommy Haas, whats interesting is another veteran Jurgen Melzer slated @ 20 and I very rarely remember him playing a match this year.

Back to Scores Berdych got the crucial break through to lead 3-2 in the 3rd set, looks like Stan already ran out of gas, still tipping him to win the encounter. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Race to London - Wawrinka will rise above Fed Empty Re: Race to London - Wawrinka will rise above Fed

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 11 May 2013, 8:08 pm

Wow I can't believe my call and Stan the man proved it right, from 2-4 down Wawinka stages a sensational comeback to win it.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Race to London - Wawrinka will rise above Fed Empty Re: Race to London - Wawrinka will rise above Fed

Post by The Special Juan Sat 11 May 2013, 8:11 pm

You'd still expect Federer to make it because he'll no doubt get at least 2 QFs at the US and Wimbledon, and probably the French too. Wawrinka's now back in the top 10 in the world too and if he keeps getting far in these tournaments then he has a great chance to reach the O2. I hope he does.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 11 May 2013, 8:15 pm

The Special Juan wrote:You'd still expect Federer to make it because he'll no doubt get at least 2 QFs at the US and Wimbledon, and probably the French too. Wawrinka's now back in the top 10 in the world too and if he keeps getting far in these tournaments then he has a great chance to reach the O2. I hope he does.

He was certainly unlucky in the 0z, les hope he keeps the fight on and becomes the Swiss no.1 some day officially. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 11 May 2013, 8:27 pm

He certainly will but whether his fellow countryman (not Chiudinelli Wink ) is still playing at that point is debatable. I think he's having his best year as he was so, so near to beating Djokovic in Australia, has a title and a Masters 1000 final to his name and has four wins over Top 10 players this year already.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 11 May 2013, 8:30 pm

The Special Juan wrote:He certainly will but whether his fellow countryman (not Chiudinelli Wink ) is still playing at that point is debatable. I think he's having his best year as he was so, so near to beating Djokovic in Australia, has a title and a Masters 1000 final to his name and has four wins over Top 10 players this year already.

I know very impressive CV for the year.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 11 May 2013, 8:42 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:

He was certainly unlucky in the 0z, les hope he keeps the fight on and becomes the Swiss no.1 some day officially. thumbsup

I think people are writing off the Wimbledon title holder and a player that less than a year ago was number one in the rankings a little too quickly.

This is what Nadal had to say about his loss in Madrid.

You were the only one to beat Federer here in this stadium, in Caja Mágica.
RAFAEL NADAL: It's always the same. I answered before that question in Spanish. But it's something similar. It's a surprise, yes, because happened just very, very few times in the last years, things like this.
But should not be a surprise. He played against Nishikori. He is a fantastic player, he's an aggressive player. In tennis, you are there all the time. The match is close a lot of times and you can lose.
Yesterday it happened. He played a very good second set I think, Roger; and then in the third, you know, few mistakes and Nishikori end the match playing fantastic, very aggressive, and serving well.
So that's it. Then it's not easy after eight weeks, seven weeks outside of competition to come back and play and have the best feelings.
Sure this week is going to be positive for him. He will be getting rhythm, and Rome will be better for him, I am sure.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=88935

It isn't easy coming back after 8 weeks. I would also say Federer drew the short straw and got the floating wild card (Nadal) in the quarters in IW. That meant he has had relatively little match place recently. That was reflected in all the mishits, his slow slow start and his failure to take control of the match when it was there for the taking.

Federer will get a few more matches in Rome. No Nadal or Djokovic in his half (Although saying that I really wanted to see a Federer/Djokovic match). Hopefully (for me anyway) he will do a little bit more than hang on to being the Swiss number 1...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 11 May 2013, 9:05 pm

I wouldn't place too much in Fed's ranking in the race to London considering:

---he skipped Miami and Monte Carlo and other tournaments.
---only 1 of 4 slams gone
---not in the faster surface part of the year yet

Chances are as long as he stays motivated and relatively injury free he'll move up the rankings again at some stage.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 11 May 2013, 9:14 pm

^

Exactly! I also wish journalists for want of a good story would stop harassing about retirement.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sat 11 May 2013, 9:37 pm

Let's hope Stan now maintains and starts to fufill his obvious talent

He should be winning a Masters of two and getting to a Slam final

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 12 May 2013, 2:55 am

@ Hawkeye while I appreciate your concern for Fed, I do like this man for his game as well as the human being inside but all good things do come to an end, Fed keep surprising me with all those performance in recent years but this year he gonna really find it hard, I gues his motivation is running out and thats a deadly sign.

@ Banbro

It would be a cinderalla story if Stan the man can do some magic tomorrow. Fingers Crossed

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 12 May 2013, 3:03 am

I would love to see a good competitive match on Sunday, unlike the Nadal v Andujar affair.

Berdych, IMVHO, choked, thinking perhaps about the final, while Stan played like Nadal, wanting to just win the next point.

Come on Stan, make it a good match. Fingers Crossed

@HE... Tennis history never forgets. Wink

PS: Regarding Stan - "Regardless of the final result, he will return to the Top 10 for the first time since 2008, when he reached a career-high World No. 9." - Cool

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 12 May 2013, 3:13 am

laverfan wrote:I would love to see a good competitive match on Sunday, unlike the Nadal v Andujar affair.

Berdych, IMVHO, choked, thinking perhaps about the final, while Stan played like Nadal, wanting to just win the next point.

Come on Stan, make it a good match. Fingers Crossed

@HE... Tennis history never forgets. Wink

Actually Nadal-Andujar match was pretty good, its not as if Nadal had an easy match playing a B game, Pablo panicked in the tail part of 2nd set otherwise the quality of tennis was of very high standards, just watch some Pablo magic at 4-4 in the 2nd set still he went down 6-4 in that set.
If Fed at his best struggled against this guy in clay I am not sure many really have chances.

For Stan to win, the following permutations should be applied

d[L*HP*RA*PFO] / Integral [RWD* LI* SF]
[ ____________________________________ + ND ]
[DRN*NMTO]

L- Luck,
HP - Highest performance [100% A game],
RA - Refree Assitance [i.e all line calls go by his way and Nadal doesn't challange them]
PFO - Poor Performance by opponent ,
RWD - Rafa's Worst Day ,
LI - Lack of Interest to fight , SF- Sympathy Feeling towards opponent],
DRN - Damaged Rafa Knees ,
NMTO - No Medical Timeout Allowed ,
ND - Natural Disaters

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 12 May 2013, 6:06 pm

WTF
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 12 May 2013, 9:47 pm

lydian wrote:WTF
laughing

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down