The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Race for London

5 posters

Go down

Race for London Empty Race for London

Post by banbrotam Thu 12 Sep 2013, 8:11 pm

An race that is more interesting than usual, simply because there is more than a good chance that a certain Mr Federer will fail to qualify

Back to that in a minute, realistically Ferrer will be joining the others soon, so it could be argued that's it's four from the six below. Then again Tsonga is injured and what if Raonic continues his improved Masters form, i.e. it could be four from a dozen!!

Reality bites and I think Berdych and Del Potro (assuming his wrist is OK) will be there again - leaving a realistic fight between the next three for the final two places

I actually think Roger will make it, simply because I'm unconvinced that Gasquet can kick on. If ever Stan was motivated to qualify, it will be now and that's why I'm expecting him to get 7th place

If Roger doesn't qualify then he could drop out of the Top 10. Imagine meeting him in a hot fast Aus Open in R16, if you're any of the Top 3!!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Race for London Empty Re: Race for London

Post by lydian Thu 12 Sep 2013, 8:29 pm

Hard to believe the 2 USO finalists are playing DC this weekend and Federer isn't even though Switzerland are playing too and need him to help qualify for the World Group. Disappointing and reinforces Federer's usual lack of interest in playing for his country. Stan is playing though, and hoping to lead them into the WG...which next year could have been Federer's last chance to help them win it. No wonder Stan gets cheesed off with Federer sitting it out. If nothing else DC could have got him some valuable practice and ATP points. Have to say its disappointing from Federer...and maybe one of the reasons which prompted Murray to say playing DC should be mandatory.

Federer will likely enter more indoor events to get points for WTF if he needs to.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:16 pm

Agree about Fed's lack of interest in DC

Not certain about him chasing for points though. Problem is, everyone sees him as cannon fodder

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:28 pm

lydian. Federer is an old man in tennis years he should do whatever he thinks necessary to prolong his career. I think he has made the correct decision. Sadly I think the days of him and Wawrinka winning the Davis cup for Switzerland are over.

The schedule is ridiculous and much as I love the Davis Cup I feel worried for both Djokovic and Nadal feeling obliged to play this event. Read elsewhere that Rafa arrived back in Madrid on Wednesday morning having completed all his media obligations in New York... slept for three hours and then had his first practice on clay... then fell asleep on a physio table afterwords whilst being treated. As I said ridiculous.

Murray has said this! Pfft! He talks way too much.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:49 pm

hawkeye wrote:I feel worried for both Djokovic and Nadal feeling obliged to play this event
But not Murray?

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:57 pm

^ Murray should be well rested as he went out in the quarters of the US and only played a few matches post Wimbledon. Am I correct in thinking that Murray has played the fewest matches this year? Maybe Tsonga has played less but only because he has been injured.

It's funny that he's talking about making participation in the Davis Cup compulsary. Don't you think? Especially when he is on record as saying he was choosing not to play.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 12 Sep 2013, 10:03 pm

Murray was also injured HE. Keep up.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 12 Sep 2013, 10:29 pm

hawkeye wrote:^ Murray should be well rested as he went out in the quarters of the US and only played a few matches post Wimbledon. Am I correct in thinking that Murray has played the fewest matches this year? Maybe Tsonga has played less but only because he has been injured.

It's funny that he's talking about making participation in the Davis Cup compulsory. Don't you think? Especially when he is on record as saying he was choosing not to play.

I'm a bit surprised by Murray's comments, but having read them in full he actually makes a very good case.

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 13 Sep 2013, 11:30 am

banbrotam wrote:
hawkeye wrote:^ Murray should be well rested as he went out in the quarters of the US and only played a few matches post Wimbledon. Am I correct in thinking that Murray has played the fewest matches this year? Maybe Tsonga has played less but only because he has been injured.

It's funny that he's talking about making participation in the Davis Cup compulsory. Don't you think? Especially when he is on record as saying he was choosing not to play.
I'm a bit surprised by Murray's comments, but having read them in full he actually makes a very good case.
Do you have a link where they are in full? I only caught a snippet.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down