The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords

+28
LivinginItaly
dyrewolfe
hampo17
mystiroakey
kiakahaaotearoa
Shelsey93
Take it to the house
Carrotdude
Hibbz
Dorothy_Mantooth
msp83
Mike Selig
aucklandlaurie
Corporalhumblebucket
KP_fan
NickisBHAFC
JDizzle
VTR
Mad for Chelsea
dummy_half
Duty281
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
trebellbobaggins
alfie
Biltong
Good Golly I'm Olly
Liam
GSC
32 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords - Page 2 Empty England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords

Post by GSC Thu 16 May 2013, 10:38 am

First topic message reminder :

England: Cook (c), Compton, Trott, Bell, Root, Bairstow, Prior, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Finn.
NZ: Fulton, Rutherford, Williamson, Taylor, Brownlie, McCullum (c), BJ Watling, Southee, Wagner, Boult, Martin

England win the toss and will bat first
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords - Page 2 Empty Re: England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords

Post by Biltong Thu 16 May 2013, 9:54 pm

Are the English already batting for a draw?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords - Page 2 Empty Re: England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords

Post by Duty281 Thu 16 May 2013, 10:20 pm

Just a bit of rustiness I'll say. Things will look a lot brighter tomorrow - I just wish we would stop starting a series so slowly, I think it's been that way since the last Ashes series!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 16 May 2013, 10:36 pm

Only bright spot today is that this thread has helped take cricket posts on this site past 100,000. Rolling Eyes

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 16 May 2013, 11:06 pm

Duty281 wrote:Just a bit of rustiness I'll say. Things will look a lot brighter tomorrow - I just wish we would stop starting a series so slowly, I think it's been that way since the last Ashes series!

Are we playing for the Ashes? Do our players know this?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 17 May 2013, 6:43 am

Root, despite not scoring all that quickly, looked busier than the rest, and Bairstow and Prior usually score at a decent clip. This approach of nothingness will not help England, so one can only hope they all will stick to their natural game.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 17 May 2013, 7:14 am

The Problem England has here is that slow rate, even if they score at 3 runs an over and bat the whole day their score will only be 430 after day 2, that does not leave much time to get the Kiwi's in and bowl them out twice (unless of course there are some serious collapses).

I predict this will be a draw.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 17 May 2013, 8:41 am

It is obvious Englnad is missing KP.
he is the one man that turns an other-wise moderate 10 into a top-11.

All Englnad should be praying that he gets healed......and timely enouhg that he gets some practise also
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 17 May 2013, 8:44 am

We need the return of the messiah angel

God save KP notworthy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 17 May 2013, 10:10 am

Morning all,

Didn't watch the whole day yesterday, but thought even early on Cook and Compton were a bit passive. From what I saw, England missed out on the bad balls by trying to hit them too hard (at least 4 or 5 full tosses went unpunished) which follows from not putting enough pressure on the fielding side by not looking to score off their good balls.

KPF is right to some extent in that without KP England's batting order look a bit one-paced and containable, particularly on slow wickets where someone like Bell will always find quick scoring difficult because he relies on timing rather than power. With that in mind I think they missed a trick in putting Bell at 4 and not promoting Bairstow. I've said a few times before that I think he's naturally more of a top order than middle-order (shades of Ponting about the way he bats) who likes to dominate, and here would have been an ideal time to give him a go at 4.

Having said that, the criticism of Bell is harsh. His strike rate wasn't noticeably worse than Compton's or Cook's and he made more runs.

I don't understand how in one breath you can criticise England's slow scoring, and in the next Compton's shot, which was a calculated risk to hit Martin over the top (it wasn't a swipe across the line or anything like that) and put the field back or put Martin off. You don't win any cricket matches without taking such risks, so whilst it is regrettable it didn't come off, the intent was good and to be encouraged.

Similarly I am bemused by some of the criticism of Cook's decision to bat first, by people who also criticised him for bowling first in identical conditions in the final test in New Zealand. Personally I would have bowled first both times, but for people to suggest Cook got it wrong both times is 20:20 hindsight. In fact New Zealand bowled better, and England batted with less discipline which explains the difference in fortunes. Today does show though why it is probably preferable to bowl first on such pitches, because it is probably easier to control the game on slow pitches when you are bowling - in today's game control is paramount, and New Zealand controlled the pace expertly.

The pitch is disappointing.

For England to win now will require either a drastic change in scoring rates today and then a brilliant bowling performance first up, or some pretty ordinary batting from both sides. A New Zealand win is at the moment more likely, but the draw is firm favourite, depending partly on the weather.

A bit disappointed to see Duty is still amongst us I have to say. In real life I would confront such a person, but on message boards it is all too easy to run away or simply repeat the same nonsense over and over again. Time for the ignore button then.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 17 May 2013, 10:50 am

Mike Selig wrote:Morning all,

Didn't watch the whole day yesterday, but thought even early on Cook and Compton were a bit passive. From what I saw, England missed out on the bad balls by trying to hit them too hard (at least 4 or 5 full tosses went unpunished) which follows from not putting enough pressure on the fielding side by not looking to score off their good balls.

KPF is right to some extent in that without KP England's batting order look a bit one-paced and containable, particularly on slow wickets where someone like Bell will always find quick scoring difficult because he relies on timing rather than power. With that in mind I think they missed a trick in putting Bell at 4 and not promoting Bairstow. I've said a few times before that I think he's naturally more of a top order than middle-order (shades of Ponting about the way he bats) who likes to dominate, and here would have been an ideal time to give him a go at 4.

Having said that, the criticism of Bell is harsh. His strike rate wasn't noticeably worse than Compton's or Cook's and he made more runs.

I don't understand how in one breath you can criticise England's slow scoring, and in the next Compton's shot, which was a calculated risk to hit Martin over the top (it wasn't a swipe across the line or anything like that) and put the field back or put Martin off. You don't win any cricket matches without taking such risks, so whilst it is regrettable it didn't come off, the intent was good and to be encouraged.

Similarly I am bemused by some of the criticism of Cook's decision to bat first, by people who also criticised him for bowling first in identical conditions in the final test in New Zealand. Personally I would have bowled first both times, but for people to suggest Cook got it wrong both times is 20:20 hindsight. In fact New Zealand bowled better, and England batted with less discipline which explains the difference in fortunes. Today does show though why it is probably preferable to bowl first on such pitches, because it is probably easier to control the game on slow pitches when you are bowling - in today's game control is paramount, and New Zealand controlled the pace expertly.

The pitch is disappointing.

For England to win now will require either a drastic change in scoring rates today and then a brilliant bowling performance first up, or some pretty ordinary batting from both sides. A New Zealand win is at the moment more likely, but the draw is firm favourite, depending partly on the weather.

A bit disappointed to see Duty is still amongst us I have to say. In real life I would confront such a person, but on message boards it is all too easy to run away or simply repeat the same nonsense over and over again. Time for the ignore button then.
Mike, agree with most of the things related to the match there, other than the bit on Bell. I think Bell is up for some chastisement not just about the way he batted. Compton and Cook had the new ball in the first session to deal with it has to be remembered. And Bell, the way he got out, and the timing of that wicket left England in a real corner. If you bat that long, you most certainly have to convert it into a substantial effort. So if he's getting some stick, I have to say Bell has deserved every bit of it.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 17 May 2013, 11:03 am

The new ball is possibly the best time to score though, given the nature of the pitch.

Excellent point made by Nasser on sky about the England batsmen running inside the line against Martin, because he bowls further outside off than most spinners.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 17 May 2013, 11:05 am

Surprised the kiwi bowlers have changed ends. Hard to adapt I'd have thought, and particularly given the way they bowled yesterday.

The slope doesn't really help swing, so not sure what the reasoning behind it is.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 May 2013, 11:44 am

First 10 overs seen off with no alarm, only 16 runs added though. When will the acceleration come?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 17 May 2013, 12:03 pm

More of the same this morning then. The old adage is not to judge until both teams have batted. Everyone has struggled for timing so far, is the pitch really 2-paced?

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 17 May 2013, 12:03 pm

Mike Selig wrote:

The last thing this section needs is fewer posters. Considering England were playing yesterday there was only one page of comments which is quite poor. I have never/will never be a regular poster but have noticed a severe decline in activity on this section since last year.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 17 May 2013, 12:15 pm

Root's gone, caught down the leg side by Watling of Southee. He goes for 40, and England are 192-5.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 17 May 2013, 12:15 pm

Root gone, tickling one down the leg side off Southee. Another start gone, and Prior reaches the crease with plenty of work still to do.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 May 2013, 12:15 pm

Root's gone caught down the leg side and now, at 192/5, England are in trouble. Prior has to lead the counter-attack now, no more scratching around!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 May 2013, 12:16 pm

Oh England.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 17 May 2013, 12:16 pm

and Prior gone first ball, England in trouble!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 May 2013, 12:18 pm

Not enough runs on the board, all the hard work of the first hour undone in 2 balls. I thought yesterday morning that 375+ would be a good score, I'd take 300 right now.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 17 May 2013, 12:18 pm

while the first wicket had an element of fortune, the Prior wicket was a lovely piece of bowling from Southee.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 17 May 2013, 12:20 pm

Nice bowling from Southee to Prior. Root out to one of those things, but both wickets arguably came because Southee had just started to get the ball to move.

England will have to bowl well here, and resist the temptation to be overly aggressive.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 17 May 2013, 12:23 pm

Broad's dire batting form continues, England desperately need something from these last three wickets here.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 17 May 2013, 12:25 pm

Prior goes first ball, and Broad joins him 3 balls later. South with the wicket of Prior, and Wagner picked up Broad. England in serious trouble at 195-7.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 May 2013, 12:25 pm

Negative batting, slow scoring, tight bowling, and the decision at the toss to bat, have all contributed to a rather awful display with the bat in this innings. 7 down, our hopes lie with Bairstow to get us as close as possible to 300. England have been overly respectful.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 17 May 2013, 12:27 pm

First ball I've seen well timed on the up... by Swann. Good follow-up bouncer by Wagner.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 17 May 2013, 12:28 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Broad's dire batting form continues, England desperately need something from these last three wickets here.

Why is above Swann in the order these days is anyone's guess. Its alarming how much he has declined with the bat, I would say he is a number 10 or 11 these days.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 17 May 2013, 12:29 pm

England are going to have to be careful with the ball not to be too aggressive. So far it's been mostly the full half-volleys that have been driven, England need to make sure not to go too full in search of the magic delivery...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 17 May 2013, 12:34 pm

Just shows the old Boycottism holds true ("add two wickets to the score to see how you are really placed")

One loose shot , one good ball first up , and a reasonably sound position becomes perilous...worse now after Broad follows.
Didn't think much of the Broad footwork there.

Will not get too judgmental until NZ have batted. It is notable all six batsmen got settled in and yet none went on past forty. Have seen plenty of matches in the past where that sort of trend continued throughout.

Nice to see Southee rewarded this morning...thought he bowled pretty well yesterday without much to show for it. Bit lucky with Root , but he probably deserved a break.

Chance for Bairstow to do something here...although now Swann is gone so perhaps he will run out of partners...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 17 May 2013, 12:35 pm

The collapse continues, Swann goes. Wagner gets his 3rd.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 17 May 2013, 12:35 pm

Swann gone, the procession continues Sad

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 17 May 2013, 12:35 pm

This is starting to look horribly like this. A terrible match in the worst home series I can remember:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63842.html

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 May 2013, 12:35 pm

Safe to say, this isn't the best way to approach an Ashes series.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 17 May 2013, 12:37 pm

well this is a big worry.

some guys seemed to be in form but the NZ away form is back.

either NZ are bowling very well or we're in a bit of a mess. Not good in an Ashes year if they can't turn this form around.

NZ in the box seat for this one if they bat with some application.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 17 May 2013, 12:39 pm

Oh Boy...I went out for Lunch and came back to see 8 down Shocked

I am shocked....but so expected...you dig a hole in cricket...and then you fall deeper and deeper in it.

After two failed attempts in NZ this time...McCullum muxt bee feeling he can nail England.

Only rain can save England
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 17 May 2013, 12:39 pm

Swann nicks a good one, nothing he could do about that really.

England going down fast.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 May 2013, 12:40 pm

KP_fan wrote:Oh Boy...I went out for Lunch and came back to see 8 down Shocked

I am shocked....but so expected...you dig a hole in cricket...and then you fall deeper and deeper in it.

After two failed attempts in NZ this time...McCullum muxt bee feeling he can nail England.

Nonsense. Jimmy Anderson can save England, as can Finn, maybe Swann, or possibly Broad.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 17 May 2013, 12:40 pm

Finn needs to find his batting form from the previous series here to save England yet again.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 17 May 2013, 12:40 pm

far too early to say, let's see what NZ do on this pitch first, and we all know Lords pitches are usually incredibly flat on days 4 and 5 so England could well bat a couple of days to save the game should they need to anyway.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Fri 17 May 2013, 12:41 pm

Looks like ANOTHER first innings failure to start a Test Series. Starting become a real issue from England.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 17 May 2013, 12:43 pm

absolutely shocking running from the pair there, should easily have got three and got Bairstow back on strike...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 17 May 2013, 12:45 pm

nz just look too good.

Englands new team looks a worry. Seems we're on the way down if we can't find some better and more consistent batting.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 17 May 2013, 12:46 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:

far too early to say, let's see what NZ do on this pitch first, and we all know Lords pitches are usually incredibly flat on days 4 and 5 so England could well bat a couple of days to save the game should they need to anyway.

which makes the toss decision even more baffling really.

but yeah we shall see. if they fail in this series then they have problems.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 17 May 2013, 12:52 pm

I would like to see a little more credit to NZ. In conditions that haven't really been batsman friendly , they have bowled generally pretty well.
They appear to have had plans for each batsman , and have executed them quite well. Nothing ferocious about their attack , but they have nagged away , not giving easy runs , and you can see the results...

Sure England might have played with a bit more urgency at times (I am a bit critical of some of the running ) , but overall I think NZ have earned their handy position.

Of course , they still have to bat. Will be interesting to see if England can maintain similar control...perhaps the selection of Finn rather than Bresnan might be regretted in hindsight ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 17 May 2013, 12:55 pm

alfie wrote:I would like to see a little more credit to NZ. In conditions that haven't really been batsman friendly , they have bowled generally pretty well.
They appear to have had plans for each batsman , and have executed them quite well. Nothing ferocious about their attack , but they have nagged away , not giving easy runs , and you can see the results...

Sure England might have played with a bit more urgency at times (I am a bit critical of some of the running ) , but overall I think NZ have earned their handy position.

Of course , they still have to bat. Will be interesting to see if England can maintain similar control...perhaps the selection of Finn rather than Bresnan might be regretted in hindsight ?

I agree. NZ have bowled well on a pitch well suited to their bowlers (not much pace but plenty of movement). You're equally right to point out the lack of urgency in England's running between the wickets, which has been pretty poor for an international side.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 17 May 2013, 12:59 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:

NZ will bat the 2nd and 4th inning............so on D5 it's NZ who is more likely to bat....unless Eng is battling to avoid innings defeat....whihc would imply NZ had a HUGE first inning
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 17 May 2013, 2:06 pm

Both NZ bowlers doing plenty with the ball at present : credit to Bairstow and Finn for hanging in there and adding a few runs.
On the other hand if conditions are so good for bowling right now England might be wondering if they'd be better off smashing a few and getting in the field...

Won't be long anyway now as Finn goes.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 17 May 2013, 2:08 pm

Finn gone, Southee bowls what looks like an outswinger but just doesn't swing and he's trapped plumb in front. I suspect Anderson won't want to be batting for too long here today, get out there and bowl, these are good conditions to bowl in. Yep, wild swoosh at his first ball right there suggests he doesn't want to hang around.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 17 May 2013, 2:11 pm

Very Happy

Jimmy certainly looks as if he'd rather a breezy couple of boundaries and off to start bowling...not sure what Bairstow thinks of that plan...especially as Jimmy has nicked the strike...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next