The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HC final 2013 - ASM Clermont Auvergne Vs RC Toulonnais - Teams announced etc

+52
GunsGerms
fa0019
splenetic
Hood83
Knowsit17
Hound of Harrow
offload
John Cregan
red_stag
Jenifer McLadyboy
Portnoy's Complaint
BigTrevsbigmac
Standulstermen
Cyril
ME-109
monwy
Manu's Boxing Coach
MMaaxx
cakeordeath
R!skysports
t1000advancedprototype
VinceWLB
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Biltong
Cloggie
markb
SecretFly
Feckless Rogue
Rory_Gallagher
ChequeredJersey
tigertattie
George Carlin
maestegmafia
hugehandoff
MarcusHalberstram
Coleman
TJ1
profitius
GLove39
gelodge
wales606
thebluesmancometh
justified sinner
Kingshu
brennomac
doctor_grey
Golden
funnyExiledScot
LeinsterFan4life
rodders
ScarletSpiderman
whocares
56 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

HC final 2013 - ASM Clermont Auvergne Vs RC Toulonnais - Teams announced etc - Page 3 Empty HC final 2013 - ASM Clermont Auvergne Vs RC Toulonnais - Teams announced etc

Post by whocares Fri 17 May 2013, 2:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

I thought I would start a thread since teams are now announced. Appreciate this 100% french final might not draw loads of interest but it's still a game of rugby that will eventually decide who will be the next european top dog after years of Leinster dominance.

so here are the matchday 23 teams :

ASMCA :

15. Lee Byrne, 14. Sitiveni Sivivatu, 13. Aurélien Rougerie, 12. Wesley Fofana, 11. Napolioni Nalaga, 10. Brock James, 9. Morgan Parra, 1. Thomas Domingo, 2. Benjamin Kayser, 3. Davit Zirakashvili, 4. Jamie Cudmore, 5. Nathan Hines, 6. Julien Bonnaire, 7. Gerhard Vosloo, 8. Damien Chouly

subs 16. Ti'i Paulo, 17. Vincent Debaty, 18. Clément Ric, 19. Julien Pierre, 20. Julien Bardy, 21. Ludovic Radoslavjevic , 22. David Skrela, 23. Regan King

RCT :

15. Delon Armitage, 14. Rudi Wulf, 13. Mathieu Bastareaud, 12. Matt Giteau, 11. Alexis Palisson, 10. Jonny Wilkinson, 9. Sébastien Tillous-Borde, 1. Andrew Sheridan, 2. Sebastien Bruno, 3. Carl Hayman, 4. Bakkies Botha, 5. Nick Kennedy, 6. Danie Rossouw, 7. Juan Fernandez Lobbe, 8. Chris Masoe
subs : 16. Jean-Charles Orioli, 17. Gethin Jenkins, 18. Davit Kubriashvili, 19. Joe van Niekerk, 20. Steffon Armitage, 21. Maxime Mermoz, 22. Frederic Michalak, 23. Jocelino Suta,

It seems that there is finally very little injuries and should the weather be nice, we shall hope for a good game of rugby. thumbsup
Some interesting matchups and questions:
- Will Domingo manage to deal with Hayman power (pushed by Botha and Rossow!!).
- Who will shine between Fernandez-Lobbe and Bonnaire who are quite similar players in terms of class and ability (very smooth line out operators, not very powerful but very efficient in the rucks)
- Who between Fofana and Giteau will have the most space to express themselves?
- Will Wilkinson score more than 20 points?
- Can Palisson outpace sivivatu?
- Will Cudmore get the 1st yellow card?

whocares

Back to top Go down

HC final 2013 - ASM Clermont Auvergne Vs RC Toulonnais - Teams announced etc - Page 3 Empty Re: HC final 2013 - ASM Clermont Auvergne Vs RC Toulonnais - Teams announced etc

Post by GLove39 Sat 18 May 2013, 6:50 pm

Wow, Clermont bottled it big time

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

HC final 2013 - ASM Clermont Auvergne Vs RC Toulonnais - Teams announced etc - Page 3 Empty Re: HC final 2013 - ASM Clermont Auvergne Vs RC Toulonnais - Teams announced etc

Post by George Carlin Sat 18 May 2013, 6:50 pm

What the hell was Skrela doing in the last 5 minutes? Lying at the bottom of at least 2 rucks and his scrum half was looking for him at least twice. picard
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 18 May 2013, 6:50 pm

Best team lost, gutted for Clermont - two years running they have been so close, they were the best team in the competition this year
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 18 May 2013, 6:50 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Damn!!! Looks like you can buy the HC

That has done so much damage to rugby union in the NH, the HC is officially up for auction to the highest bidder from here on in!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 18 May 2013, 6:52 pm

profitius wrote:Could someone tell me how the Smeg Clermont managed to throw that game away???? Flukiest HEC win ever.

Harsh, I thought Toulon battered them at the breakdown and won the collisions. Clermont should have won but the team with most points deserves the title.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 18 May 2013, 6:52 pm

Agree Bluesman. The Toulon sugar daddy is going to throw even more money at Toulon now.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 18 May 2013, 6:52 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:

That has done so much damage to rugby union in the NH, the HC is officially up for auction to the highest bidder from here on in!

We knew that when Munster went out.

Well done Toulon, a win is a win. My god they are a boring team to watch. Clermont were fantastic this season. Incredible backline.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 18 May 2013, 6:53 pm

Ah well, back to the S15. Heineken Cup may be the best the NH can do, but the S15 is still a class above.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 18 May 2013, 6:55 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:

It has noticeably done the most damage to french international rugby.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 18 May 2013, 6:55 pm

As many others, I'm gutted to see Toulon buy the Heineken Cup. Hope it doesn't signal a new era for European competition.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 18 May 2013, 6:55 pm

Cotter takes one step backwards from accepting the Scotland job.

I hope to hell that Clermont win the Top 14 final. Really quite worried he'll stay in France for another year if they don't. Erm
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 18 May 2013, 6:55 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Well done Toulon, a win is a win. My god they are a boring team to watch. Clermont were fantastic this season. Incredible backline.

True but when the games are tight they've been shown to lack balls. That was a total omnishambles at the end. You don't win the Heino in the group stages, once again they've shown they simply aren't good enough.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 18 May 2013, 6:55 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:

Clermont isn't eactly poor either in finances.........

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 18 May 2013, 6:56 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Ah well, back to the S15. Heineken Cup may be the best the NH can do, but the S15 is still a class above.
Totally disagree! Nothing comes close to the HC.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Sat 18 May 2013, 6:56 pm

Really harsh on Clermont, they looked the best side for most of the match and this European season, but when it came down to it Toulon probably showed enough grit at the right moments. I guess that's what a side full of experienced internationals gives you despite what it lacks in other areas.

The expected rematch in the Top 14 final should be a cracker!

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 18 May 2013, 6:57 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:

We knew that when Munster went out.

I can't describe how dissapointed I am with that result, I know CA have spent a lot too, but at least theyve built a team with a style and ethos instead of just signing every guy who has a run of good games on the int stage, this is a dark day for the sport up here, Metro, Toulon and numerous others will now look to open their chequebooks even further in an attempt keep up with the jones's.

Sadly also the gameplan in which Toulon employ will be mimic'd by others too!

The French national team will suffer for this too!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 18 May 2013, 6:58 pm

SecretFly wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:

Yeah that's true I suppose. Clermont actually have a bigger budget than Toulon.

And I'm sure no rugby fan will begrudge Wilkinson his medal.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 18 May 2013, 6:59 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Ah well, back to the S15. Heineken Cup may be the best the NH can do, but the S15 is still a class above.

Perhaps that is because you can watch your own team compete? I have had the pleasure of watching more S15 games this year and if I am totally honest it is a class above. In almost every way.

Quite scary actually.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 18 May 2013, 7:00 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:

Yeah that's true I suppose. Clermont actually have a bigger budget than Toulon.

And I'm sure no rugby fan will begrudge Wilkinson his medal.

He's already got a medal from a different tournament... talk about greedy!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 18 May 2013, 7:00 pm

That whole Toulon pack will need to be replaced in a couple of years because they are all over 30.

We need to tie down our irish players now. Smile

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 18 May 2013, 7:02 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:That whole Toulon pack will need to be replaced in a couple of years because they are all over 30.

We need to tie down our irish players now. Smile

I doubt they will be that interested.. Whistle

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Sat 18 May 2013, 7:02 pm

Feel sorry for Clermont, but also pleased for JW, Kennedy, Sheridan (not D.Armitage), S.Armitage. Good to see English talent ruling Europe rose

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 18 May 2013, 7:03 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:

Perhaps that is because you can watch your own team compete? I have had the pleasure of watching more S15 games this year and if I am totally honest it is a class above. In almost every way.

Quite scary actually.
No I would watch any HC match whether Leinster are playing or not before any super 15 game. Ive watched plenty of super 15 this year and last year and too me it doesnt even come close for entertainment.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 18 May 2013, 7:04 pm

I wish I could agree, LeinsterFan. OK

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 18 May 2013, 7:05 pm

rodders wrote:
profitius wrote:Could someone tell me how the Smeg Clermont managed to throw that game away???? Flukiest HEC win ever.

Harsh, I thought Toulon battered them at the breakdown and won the collisions. Clermont should have won but the team with most points deserves the title.

Toulon created nothing throughout the game. I have literally never seen a team win a final having created so little scoring chances. Toulon scored 1 try in 3 games, todays try which came from a Clermont mistake.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by markb Sat 18 May 2013, 7:05 pm

A lot of people saying Toulon bought the Heineken Cup, but they're apparently not the top spenders in France, so money clearly isn't all there is to it.

It was interesting reading the ESPN piece by Tom Hamilton with Nick Kennedy on the reality within the Toulon camp compared to many's perception of them.

http://www.espnscrum.com/heineken-cup-2012-13/rugby/story/182865.html

markb

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 18 May 2013, 7:05 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:

Quite scary actually.

I wouldn't go that far, the rugby is more open, and the styles are far different but if we had some sort of world club championship I'd bet Leinster, Toulon and Cleremont would mix it with the best of them!!!

I'd call the rugby different, I personally enjoy the arm wrestle of some of the NH games as much as the 38 all draw types of super rugber!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cloggie Sat 18 May 2013, 7:06 pm

Hello everybody, I'm new and I'd like to try and contribute something meaningful to this forum going forward. First up, I'd like to raise some questions and see what you think about it:
1) How on earth did Toulon manage to steal that Heineken Cup from Clermont?
2) Who will now be ERC Player of the year? It surely can't be Fofana or Sivivatu anymore, nor Bonnaire... And Wilkinson? Not on today's showing...

Cloggie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 18 May 2013, 7:08 pm

More open, faster, more physical, MUCH more skilful (in the forwards and the backs).

Much more entertaining, much better players involved.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 18 May 2013, 7:11 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:More open, faster, more physical, MUCH more skilful (in the forwards and the backs).

Thats interesting the difference in opinion because I actually find the super 15 boring especially when SA teams play.

Even Biltong said the HC had more memorable games.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 18 May 2013, 7:11 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:More open, faster, more physical, MUCH more skilful (in the forwards and the backs).

Nope. There is some real guff in super rugby too looking decent, Sam norton knight jumps to mind, playing ok but was the worst pro rugby player I had ever seen at the Blues!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 18 May 2013, 7:12 pm

Well done and congratulations to Danie Rossouw and Bakkies Botha for now having won a Super Rugby title, HC title and RWC.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 18 May 2013, 7:12 pm

Cloggie wrote:Hello everybody, I'm new and I'd like to try and contribute something meaningful to this forum going forward. First up, I'd like to raise some questions and see what you think about it:
1) How on earth did Toulon manage to steal that Heineken Cup from Clermont?
2) Who will now be ERC Player of the year? It surely can't be Fofana or Sivivatu anymore, nor Bonnaire... And Wilkinson? Not on today's showing...

Players of the Year should not be based or even really swayed by one game
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 18 May 2013, 7:13 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:

Nope. There is some real guff in super rugby too looking decent, Sam norton knight jumps to mind, playing ok but was the worst pro rugby player I had ever seen at the Blues!!!

Nope.. Whistle

But seriously, I think we are really clutching at straws if we are trying to base the competition on the failure of one player who moved abroad to a NH competition. Shall I mention the amount of players who have shown to be a class above? For every Norton Knight, there is a Pienaar, Nacewa, Howlett, Elsom, Afoa, Payne.. and plenty more.

Last edited by Rory_Gallagher on Sat 18 May 2013, 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 18 May 2013, 7:14 pm

How many finals have Clermont lost now? Like 15?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 18 May 2013, 7:19 pm

Feel sorry for Rougerie - he's such a gent.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 18 May 2013, 7:26 pm

Delon Armitage - a terrible indictment of rugby

As, Stag, Dreamer, KiwiPete in Dublin

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sat 18 May 2013, 7:26 pm

Once Skrela came on the pitch, I knew it was over. Clermont with all their firepower couldnt go through Toulon very abrasive defense who dominated the rucks after the 60th minute. The bench might have made the difference. Gutted for bonnaire, rougerie and co. I guess they are getting closer year by year.
I think Sivivatu should get the award, he had another great game today. Fofana wasnt seen a lot. Bastareaud had a great impact today though. Who got MOTM? (I switched off after the wistle).

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 18 May 2013, 7:27 pm

I will have to rewatch it but in the last minute i'm pretty sure Regan King could have scored the try by himself instead of passing it to the replacement hooker.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 18 May 2013, 7:30 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:

Nope.. Whistle

But seriously, I think we are really clutching at straws if we are trying to base the competition on the failure of one player who moved abroad to a NH competition. Shall I mention the amount of players who have shown to be a class above? For every Norton Knight, there is a Pienaar, Nacewa, Howlett, Elsom, Afoa, Payne.. and plenty more.

Oh I agree, and I wasn't basing it all on one player, there are plenty of them! Of the players you list though most signed with big reputations, for big money deals at winning clubs, for every one of those players theres an unsuccesfull version who has traveled north and 2 more still playing super rugby!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 18 May 2013, 7:31 pm

whocares wrote:Once Skrela came on the pitch, I knew it was over. Clermont with all their firepower couldnt go through Toulon very abrasive defense who dominated the rucks after the 60th minute. The bench might have made the difference. Gutted for bonnaire, rougerie and co. I guess they are getting closer year by year.
I think Sivivatu should get the award, he had another great game today. Fofana wasnt seen a lot. Bastareaud had a great impact today though. Who got MOTM? (I switched off after the wistle).
Fat Bastareaud was MOTM and gave a very gracious interview accepting it.

ROG, Ryan and Quinnel gave fairly good analysis of the game. Who was that 10 year old who presenting the programme for Sky though?
I could have slapped him purple. He couldn't manage to utter two sentences in succession without squealing the words 'Jonny Wilkinson'.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sat 18 May 2013, 7:35 pm

Get Wilkinson to oz!

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 18 May 2013, 7:37 pm

t1000advancedprototype wrote:Get Wilkinson to oz!

No need. Leigh Halfpenny can take the kicks.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sat 18 May 2013, 7:39 pm

Is it me or is d armitage a really in unpleasant bad sport

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sat 18 May 2013, 7:40 pm

t1000advancedprototype wrote:Get Wilkinson to oz!

Why

All he did was kick some goals.

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat 18 May 2013, 7:46 pm

Riskysports wrote:Is it me or is d armitage a really in unpleasant bad sport

It was a bit of a dick move

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Sat 18 May 2013, 7:48 pm

Well done Danie and Bakkis. Most successful rugby players ever

RWC
Multiple Currie Cups, Super 15 and Tri Nations
British and Irish Lions Series win
And HC

Legends!

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 18 May 2013, 7:50 pm

Biltong wrote:Well done and congratulations to Danie Rossouw and Bakkies Botha for now having won a Super Rugby title, HC title and RWC.

I always thought Danie Rossouw was a fantastic player. Rather underrated but in the 2007 World Cup, that SA back row was terrifying.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 18 May 2013, 7:50 pm

MMaaxx wrote:Well done Danie and Bakkis. Most successful rugby players ever

RWC
And HC

Legends!

Brad Thorn did it first
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 18 May 2013, 7:52 pm

wales606 wrote:
MMaaxx wrote:Well done Danie and Bakkis. Most successful rugby players ever

RWC
And HC

Legends!

Brad Thorn did it first
yeah, but Danie and Bakkies did it better. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next