The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Announcement re nextbox streaming now on Microsoft

+13
The Galveston Giant
B91212
Sir. badgerhands
Hulking_up
bsando
Crimey
Pr4wn
hampo17
Bull
Gregers
Duty281
Trebs
pscott
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Announcement re nextbox streaming now on Microsoft - Page 2 Empty Announcement re nextbox streaming now on Microsoft

Post by pscott Tue May 21, 2013 6:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

Watching it now, should be an hour now

pscott

Back to top Go down

Announcement re nextbox streaming now on Microsoft - Page 2 Empty Re: Announcement re nextbox streaming now on Microsoft

Post by Guest Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:45 pm

From BBC:
Microsoft has clarified its position on selling and buying pre-owned titles for its new Xbox One console.

Confusion arose after it appeared the company would impose a fee for playing pre-owned games, a move that was highly unpopular with gamers.

The company has now said in a statement that games can be traded in, but only at "participating retailers".

Games can be freely passed on to friends, Microsoft added, but only once.

"Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends," the statement said.

"There are no fees charged as part of these transfers.

"There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once."

The Xbox One will come up against Sony's new console, the PlayStation 4.

Sony is yet to show off the console and has not set out its policy on pre-owned games.

Its worldwide studios president, Shuhei Yoshida, told news site Eurogamer that used games would not be "blocked" on the console, but would not specify whether there would be a fee for using pre-owned titles.

After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud”

Microsoft explained on Thursday that while the console did not have to be online to play, it did need to connect at least once every 24 hours.

The company said: "You can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library.

"Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies."

This policy would "raise a few eyebrows" in the gaming community, one technology blog wrote.

But Microsoft argued that these policies allow individuals greater access to their games, even if players are not on their own console.

"After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud.

"So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend's house, you can play your games."

As the console is always on, it allows developers to create "massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you're not playing", Microsoft said.

Back to top Go down

Announcement re nextbox streaming now on Microsoft - Page 2 Empty Re: Announcement re nextbox streaming now on Microsoft

Post by pscott Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:44 pm

Theres been bits I'm sure I've read that they are going to be using the cloud to deal with various things in game, the one I can remember is enemy AI.

Does that mean that when you are playing if you lose your connection then enemies will just be sitting about not knowing what to do next?

Very Happy

pscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:17 pm

They've confirmed tonight @ E3 that it will cost

Spoiler:

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:45 pm

Rip off

#PS4!

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:54 pm

If the ps4 launches for less than that then it's game, set and match

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:56 pm

I'm almost certainly not getting a new console, and growing up. Sad times Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:03 am

I don't see any real selling point of the Xbox One, especially at that cost

I imagine they'll continue making 360 games for a year or two yet so I'll stick by that

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:33 am

#longlivetheps4revolution

No DRM for used games has to be the main selling point and also the price difference being £349/$399 while the Xbox is at $499/£429.

also:

Spoiler:

Laugh

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:50 am

After last night at E3

Game.
Set.
Match.

PS4 has already won the next gen

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:24 am

Hey second place is up for grabs...

i hear the WII U is the favorite for it

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:31 am

Don't be so sure, if last generation is anything to go by, people don't want the superior gaming machine, they went the novelty item. The Wii was the novelty in the last generation and the Xbox One is certainly the novelty this one with in built Kinect and all the other rubbish.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:34 am

Oh im sure because you see the main thing is the hardcore audience as they are the people to preorder/buy first launch day games.

people dont need all that Kinect rubbish and background apps with the TV considering most people have cable boxs and smart phones to do all that background app stuff.

also Microsoft ignoring the whole used games thing with DRM is now a risk with most stores such as Gamestop,game etc make there profit from used games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwYUGtI6guY Laugh

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:56 am

Of course the main market isn't the Hardcore audience...the Wii sold 20 million more units worldwide than Xbox and Playstation. That's because they marketed it at families and as a novelty item. Hardcore gamers do not make up the large portion of the market.

Also, on the used game thing, it's well known that games developers HATE used games, as they get none of the money from it. So their game could be sold 5 times, and they only get the money for the first one, the store walks away with the money.

If Playstation get an advantage with the shops for allowing pre-owned games, Xbox will get an advantage with games developers who will want to develop games for the console that is protecting their interest and will allow them to get more money.

On the PS4 side will have the things that they do now where they will charge you extra for things if you don't buy the game new to make up for the lost money.

This is coming from somebody who thinks the Xbox looks rubbish. The amount of people who think that Playstation have suddenly buried Xbox is ridiculous though. It's been obvious from the start that Xbox aren't marketing the console at gamers.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pscott Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:25 am

On the PS4 side will have the things that they do now where they will charge you extra for things if you don't buy the game new to make up for the lost money.

Crimey what do you mean? Are you talking about horse armour? DLC? What sort of thing?

pscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:32 am

Also the Xbox is actually more focused on the American Market then the European or Japanese as im 100 percent sure that the whole TV thing will not work in every country.

You say they will charge you in order to make up for the loss but you see PSN is now 5 dollars a month while Xbox live is 15.

also PSN gives you free extra games and also now is getting Cross party chat so its pretty Obv Sony has done a better press convo.

sure not exclusives announced but its already been said that the people making Killzone are working on 2 new Ips, Naughty Dog working on 2 games( most probs Uncharted 4), Santi Monica (Order and God Of War), as well as The Last Guardian hopefully and another game from Insomniac.

So its still open but i will get the PS4, as it appeals to me as a gamer.

Sony's whole convo was a big "up yours" to Microsoft over the DRM matter and Price which lead to a lot of cheers and positive reactions.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:06 am

Crimey wrote:Don't be so sure, if last generation is anything to go by, people don't want the superior gaming machine, they went the novelty item. The Wii was the novelty in the last generation and the Xbox One is certainly the novelty this one with in built Kinect and all the other rubbish.

The Wii was cheap as well... the Xbox one is ludicrously expensive so the casual market won't buy in

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:09 am

Yeah if anything they should of learnt from the PS3 launch price.

i cant see anyone paying over 400 for a console.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:19 am

Yeah, but it's the same with anything. 20 years ago you wouldn't have paid £100 for a console.

The PS4 is also very expensive though, let's not pretend they're offering a cheap alternative, it's still £350 which is a hell of a lot.

pscott, what I mean is not just DLC, but what a lot of games do now is they offer codes with the game when you buy it new so as to offer extras in the game, over the past couple of years the extras have gotten bigger and bigger until they've covered huge chunk of the games, so for example the Catwoman parts of Batman Arkham Asylum, Ultimate Team in FIFA.

I think what will happen with PS4 games is that these things will be even more common, the game developers will need to make up the loss they make from pre-owned games somehow, so I imagine games across both platforms will have the extra content automatically available on Xbox where you can't buy it without giving the developer money, but you'll have to buy it new or pay extra for it on Playstation.

I think both consoles have been totally underwhelming. Playstation appear to have basically improved very little, while focusing on making fun of Xbox where as Xbox have gone for huge sweeping changes and tried to widen their market to much ridicule. The Wii U was also a total failure.

All in all, I think it's a sad time for gaming. This generation will be the most underwhelming ever I fear, there is no innovation, no excitement. Essentially it has devolved down to the two companies want to make a lot of money quickly, and the best way to do that is release a new console.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:23 am

Yeah i agree its a shame really as a lot more was expected.

The Gaming industry needs a new boost weather thats Nintendo actually becoming a hardcore target company again ala Gamecube etc where it actually had good hardcore games that where not aimed at kids and all the movement stuff.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:40 am

You mean the Gamecube which commercially basically flopped? Compared to the Wii which was the 5th best selling games console ever.

Targeting hardcore gamers is not a sound business idea, it's a relatively small market. Nintendo have also almost always focused on childish, fun games rather than gritty, adult games and it has brought them great success, compared to most of their adult moves which usually flop.

The gaming industry is essentially just amalgamating into the entertainment industry as a whole. It's the poisoned chalice, as it has become a bigger area of entertainment, the quality of games has gone up in terms of story, actors and gameplay with money being pumped into an area of entertainment that is actually enjoying great growth but it also means that it starts to develop the same problems as the rest of media such as quantity over quality and obsessing over certain demographics.

I think both consoles feel very rushed. For example, why did Xbox release Kinect for Xbox 360, if it'd then become redundant on the release of Xbox One. Why not release them together, it'd actually give the Xbox One a selling point, even if it isn't one that I'm attracted to.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:49 am

Sorry but i would argue that Metroid, Zelda, MGS(Before it went to Sony and then Xbox/PS)

where all adult target games during there time on the Nintendo.

but i see what you mean with the quantity over quality, I personally feel its too soon for Next gen ( i know this gen has been the longest etc) but i feel the technology is not as advanced and the switch does not seem as good as it where from such things as the jump from PS2 to PS3 which felt like a big leap while the one from 3 to 4 does not look as advanced.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:01 pm

Zelda is not an adult game.

In general Nintendo focuses on childish games and gets most of its success from that area. It makes most of its money off of things like the Wii, an inherently childish console really, and Mario and Mario Kart. To suddenly change its direction to adult games would be commercial suicide.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:02 pm

Zelda is an adult game, most of its fans are adults Crimey.

i know a lot of people over 18 who are massive Zelda fans.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:13 pm

I know a lot of people over 18 who are fan of Pokemon, Mario Kart, Spongebob Squarepants, Pixar films, swings and Calpol....it doesn't mean those things aren't primarily for children.

Zelda is a cartoon game, with cartoonish characters, there is no real violence, no nudity, no profanity...the highest PEGI rating is aged 12 and over.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:19 pm

i mean in a way that they have grown up over the franchise that they have lived with it that to them it becomes an adult game if that makes sense lol.

but i get your point.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:34 pm

The PS4 RRP is a breezy £349, so they should do better than Xbox One. Xbox One is actually a little creepy:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a484593/xbox-one-to-monitor-tv-viewing-content-watched-number-of-viewers.html

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by pscott Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:21 pm

I wouldnt really say Zelda games are aimed primarily at children they can be played by children sure. Same with Mario kart, they have a pretty universal appeal. They are ( usually ) just brilliantly made games.

some of the other things you mention also have jokes only adults would get.

using the word childish sounds like you look down on them.

On the subject of ps4 owners having to pay for extra bits Perhaps that might happen, who knows? could they charge 5 pounds extra for a game so the makers get more?

pscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:20 pm

I'm not looking down on them, I'm actually saying that's where Nintendo is better! Their adult games in general are quite poor.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TinRibs Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:37 pm

Looks like Microsoft are performing an 'Xbox One-Eighty'

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update
TinRibs
TinRibs

http://richieandrews.moonfruit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:52 pm

Announced it now, they've done a U-turn and you can share games now and don't have to connect it online.

Still think they're going to be beaten by PS4, big price gap in the console and online gaming, they've also marketed it in a very odd way which almost excludes gamers.

Saying that, Playstation look a little stupid considering a huge part of their marketing was based on the Xbox One not being any good.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:03 pm

Great news. All they need to do now is get rid of the 'we're always watching you' part of Kinect, and I'm buying it on day one!

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:05 pm

It really annoys me how badly they botched the Xbox One, as I think the Xbox 360 is pretty much the perfect games console, and in recent years it has got the balance right between gaming and entertainment by offering services like the i-Player and Youtube without making it the focus of the console.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:42 pm

Crimey wrote:It really annoys me how badly they botched the Xbox One, as I think the Xbox 360 is pretty much the perfect games console, and in recent years it has got the balance right between gaming and entertainment by offering services like the i-Player and Youtube without making it the focus of the console.

Agree with this completely. I remember when both Sony & Microsoft were getting ready to do their first official launch / introductions at the beginning of year thinking that the new Playstation will have to be absolutely out of this world good for me to consider changing from xbox after owning both the original and the 360. Instead I will end up going with the PS4 more because of what the new xbox does and isn't, as opposed to how good I feel the PS4 is.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:02 pm

I don't even know what the PS4 is doing that's so special. If they're just improving spec, so what, so is XBOX. It'd have to be pretty groundbreaking stuff to make me switch to them.

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:51 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:I don't even know what the PS4 is doing that's so special. If they're just improving spec, so what, so is XBOX. It'd have to be pretty groundbreaking stuff to make me switch to them.
You don't find the spybox kinect always on watching you thing in the slightest bit intrusive (and downright spooky)?

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:11 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Great news. All they need to do now is get rid of the 'we're always watching you' part of Kinect, and I'm buying it on day one!
Yes I do Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:29 pm

I think the problem for me is that there isn't really a great need for a new console to be released, the Xbox 360 and PS3 were fine, the jump between PS2 and Xbox to the next generation felt like a big leap, but I don't get that impression this time. I think it's a matter of Microsoft and Playstation striking while the iron is hot in the gaming industry as the fear is always there that it might just collapse.

There isn't a huge leap in technology between the two and even these two consoles are nowhere near to PC gaming, and it will never keep up because of the sheer speed that PC gaming develops at. 

In an ideal world, Microsoft and Sony would have kept the 360 and PS3 going and just improving it and focusing on releasing good games. 

Also, it looks like the Xbox One will do fine, Gamestop a big games retailers in the US have already sold out on their pre-orders.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Great news. All they need to do now is get rid of the 'we're always watching you' part of Kinect, and I'm buying it on day one!

Yes I do Wink

Ah, sorry. The sad thing is that I even remembered reading it first time as I read your response. I need a holiday.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:57 pm

Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Crimey wrote:Also, it looks like the Xbox One will do fine, Gamestop a big games retailers in the US have already sold out on their pre-orders.

I read this the other day
- Gamestop & Best Buy have pulled all their advertising for Microsoft Games & their Console.
- GameStop is pushing Sony's Playstation 4 as the system to buy.

This was taken during E3

Announcement re nextbox streaming now on Microsoft - Page 2 X11

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 pm

I'd never buy anything from a shop that had that kind of thing on display. Very unprofessional.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:36 pm

Hulking_up wrote:
Crimey wrote:Also, it looks like the Xbox One will do fine, Gamestop a big games retailers in the US have already sold out on their pre-orders.

I read this the other day
- Gamestop & Best Buy have pulled all their advertising for Microsoft Games & their Console.
- GameStop is pushing Sony's Playstation 4 as the system to buy.

This was taken during E3

Announcement re nextbox streaming now on Microsoft - Page 2 X11

Gamestop would have been annoyed that it didn't allow pre-owned games since that favours them, but I imagine now that it allows them there will be no issue.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2