The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who would you (realistically) like to see in a Gwent Dragons shirt

+17
bedfordwelsh
Taffineastbourne
doctor_grey
Welsh Magician
Cardiff Dave
Jhamer25
LordDowlais
Scrumdown
whocares
ScarletSpiderman
formerly known as Sam
Scarpia
thebluesmancometh
pioden gorllewin
Stone Motif
Luckless Pedestrian
Kingshu
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Who would you (realistically) like to see in a Gwent Dragons shirt Empty Who would you (realistically) like to see in a Gwent Dragons shirt

Post by Guest Fri 24 May 2013, 11:04 am

Keep it clean, no Linda Lusardi calls!

I was thinking about the NWQ and the WQ conundrum, and how in an ideal world the Welsh players who have fallen out of favour at other regions or overseas clubs would all automatically like to come to the Dragons. It doesn't happen for one reason or another, be it financial, aspirational or just plain snobbery! So, I was wondering which players you realistically (in terms of money, not necessarily likelihood) would like to see at the Dragons, a player that would help to tick a number of the boxes in terms of promoting the welsh agenda, developing a strong region, nurturing Wales ambitions, bringing in the odd quality overseas player, etc. Remember, we're not too flush so Dan Carter at 10 is unlikely.

I'll start:

I'm always been a fan of Andrew Bishop. He's not the flashiest, but he is solid in defense and dependable - like a better version of Ashley Smith for me. Ashley has gone apparently so Bishop would be a good replacement. He seems to have fallen out of favour slightly at the O's so this would give him a chance to get back into regular rugby and give us a stronger midfield.

Another would be Craig Mitchell. A very good prop who I'd like to see shore up our scrum. Playing in Exeter, probably on a good salary and loving life, but I'd like to bring him home to improve our region.

Jonathan Thomas - linked to a move away, out of favour at the O's. We were doing OK for backrow options, but with Lydiate going and Coombs looking more like a lock option I think Thomas could come in and be a very useful addition. It may help him get back in the Wales team window if he can get a load of games under his belt.

I'll think of some more as I go...

Back to top Go down

Who would you (realistically) like to see in a Gwent Dragons shirt Empty Re: Who would you (realistically) like to see in a Gwent Dragons shirt

Post by Guest Fri 24 May 2013, 11:22 am

I thought Ash had another year?

I wouldn't really be interested in JT, to be honest. I'd love Mitchell, but that won't happen

Back to top Go down

Who would you (realistically) like to see in a Gwent Dragons shirt Empty Re: Who would you (realistically) like to see in a Gwent Dragons shirt

Post by Kingshu Fri 24 May 2013, 11:45 am

Henson won't stay with LW in the Championship.

I'd say as soon as its confirmed they are down, Dragons could make a move for him??

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 24 May 2013, 11:57 am

I wouldn't want Jonathan Thomas either.

As for Andrew Bishop, I've never rated him in the context of who should get called up to the national side, but at regional level he'd be useful enough to have, but I'm not sure we need any more cover in midfield.

I'd love us to get Craig Mitchell, but Exeter are on the up and up.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 24 May 2013, 12:29 pm

Allty and Scrumdown. Loosehead and Tighthead. Lord D at Hooker.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Fri 24 May 2013, 12:40 pm

here is my list:

Owen Williams (Leicester Tigers)

Shame he signed for the Tigers, but wouldn't command a huge salary. Personally think this guy is potentially the future Welsh 10.

Rhys Gill (Saracens)

Sure he would be on a decent salary with Saracens. However with Gethin's career in it's twilight. He might see this as an opportunity to cement his claim for the Welsh LH ersey

Lee Thomas (Wasps)

Would add a bit of creativity to the centres, got a bit of a hardened edge about him, also another kicking option.

Aled Brew (Biarritz)

Know he will probably have plenty of offers after his contract is up with Biarritz. However he has fond memories of Rodney Parade, and might be tempted to sacrifice a bit of salary to become a worshiped figure down the Dragons again.

Other players worth considering and would offer something to the Dragons are:

Nick Mcloed (Sale) = Mr Consistent.

Ed Shervington (Worcester) = Highly rated Hooker

Olly Kohn (Harlequins) = would add some beef and experience to the Dragons boiler room.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 24 May 2013, 12:58 pm

JT???? Really?

I don't think Bishop would add much either!

Realistically Mcloed would be a good shout, as would Peel.

Owen Williams wouldve been doable too I think (still don't understand why he was let go for Shinglar to return)

Aled Brew would command too much wage, as would Gill, Delve, Peel Mitchell, and possibly Henson!

Dragons will need and have always needed tight 5 players, without the platform the potential of players like Dixon, Amos, Jone, Evans, Prydie, Hughes etc is all wasted and they will fall well short of where they promised they could go (ala Ashley Smith who I thought was going to become a Welsh international a few seasons ago)

Theyve signed poorly in the past, especially in the tight 5, theyve signed cheap and theyve got what theyve paid for, with Sidoli and Jones all but retired now too they are getting weaker again.

Without some beef and some money spent Zebre will be competing with the Dragons very soon!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 24 May 2013, 1:10 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:JT???? Really?

I don't think Bishop would add much either!

Realistically Mcloed would be a good shout, as would Peel.

Owen Williams wouldve been doable too I think (still don't understand why he was let go for Shinglar to return)

Aled Brew would command too much wage, as would Gill, Delve, Peel Mitchell, and possibly Henson!

Dragons will need and have always needed tight 5 players, without the platform the potential of players like Dixon, Amos, Jone, Evans, Prydie, Hughes etc is all wasted and they will fall well short of where they promised they could go (ala Ashley Smith who I thought was going to become a Welsh international a few seasons ago)

Theyve signed poorly in the past, especially in the tight 5, theyve signed cheap and theyve got what theyve paid for, with Sidoli and Jones all but retired now too they are getting weaker again.

Without some beef and some money spent Zebre will be competing with the Dragons very soon!
The disparity in wage costs for decent tight five players compared to other positions still escaping you then Blues? By all means list other tight five forwards we should have signed, bearing in mind we don't spend anywhere near the salary cap as it is.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Fri 24 May 2013, 1:54 pm

Griff wrote:

I'm always been a fan of Andrew Bishop. He seems to have fallen out of favour slightly at the O's so this would give him a chance to get back into regular rugby and give us a stronger midfield.

Injured, I think, rather than out of favour.

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 May 2013, 2:06 pm

I've got no problem with people slating my suggestions, but please make some reasonable ones yourselves too!

I'd like us to sign more good WQ players, we need to bolster the tight 5 as everyone says, but the question is who? Realistically? We promote the ones with some potential already, and as is to be expected it's rather hit and miss. Any players who've proved they are decent but are not getting much game time at their regions???

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 24 May 2013, 2:11 pm

Nick McLeod is now in competition with Joe Ford (same type of 10 but younger and with a better kick percentage) and the creative element in Cipriani. He could well consider a move away from Sale.

Shervington at Worcester must be fairly cheesed off as Wuss have signed both Creevey (Argie international from Montpellier) and Brooker (England Saxon from Quins) for next season. Could be a good time to make a move.

Martyn Thomas hasn't been offered a new deal at Glaws yet. Oakley has just left Saints but appears to have gone as a player/coach to Plymouth.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 24 May 2013, 2:23 pm

Stone Motif wrote:Allty and Scrumdown. Loosehead and Tighthead. Lord D at Hooker.

picard I could just see the whole Dragon's faithful getting behind that front row.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 24 May 2013, 2:23 pm

What about Eifion Lewis-Roberts ? he could bring some valuable experience to your young props.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 24 May 2013, 2:45 pm

I hear a lot about Eifion, but I don't think I've ever seen him play.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 May 2013, 3:12 pm

Same here Luckless. Not saying he's not good, but it's hard to judge a player without first seeing him. Seems to get a lot of praise on these boards though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Fri 24 May 2013, 3:13 pm

With Board members such as Martyn Hazell, Tony Brown and Dylan Matthews whose combined wealth is over £1billion, the dragons could 'realistically' outbid any team in Europe for any player in the world.

All the names mentioned on this thread however are second rate because Dragons supporters have swallowed the board's claims of impoverishment at the hands of the WRU.

It is all rather pitiful.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 24 May 2013, 3:37 pm

Scrumdown, if the WRU let them buy its 50% stake in the Dragons, maybe they'd be more willing to invest - but even then, the regions are operating under a salary cap, in case you weren't aware of it.

We're also reminded by certain posters that we shouldn't be signing NWQs because they block the progress of young Welsh players.

Given those things, precisely who should we be signing?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 24 May 2013, 4:10 pm

To be fair the Dragons are not any poorer than any other region, but are honest about their lack of free cash, and also more hamstrung by the union due to ownership.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 24 May 2013, 4:15 pm

Stone Motif wrote:Allty and Scrumdown. Loosehead and Tighthead. Lord D at Hooker.

Where would you play stone ? Ahhhh, come to think of it you will probably have a journeyman NWQ player taking your place. Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Fri 24 May 2013, 4:15 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Scrumdown, if the WRU let them buy its 50% stake in the Dragons, maybe they'd be more willing to invest - but even then, the regions are operating under a salary cap, in case you weren't aware of it.

We're also reminded by certain posters that we shouldn't be signing NWQs because they block the progress of young Welsh players.

Given those things, precisely who should we be signing?

Salary cap is self imposed and set at a level which means that their main costs (wages) are already covered by tv money and wru funding received of £3.75mllion. If they can't make a profit now then heads should roll.

The 50/50 ownership structure with the WRU is a bit of a red herring.

The dragons have net liabilities and therefore it is not surprising that Martyn Hazell and the gang are not pushing for 100% ownership.

They already own 100% of Newport RFC which in turn owns the main asset used by the dragons which is Rodney Parade. The WRU are effectively a sleeping partner and pretty much powerless because without rodney parade Dragons would have nowhere to play.

There's no need to sign nwq players. There are enough wq players playing for foreign clubs already.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 24 May 2013, 4:16 pm

Scrumdown wrote:With Board members such as Martyn Hazell, Tony Brown and Dylan Matthews whose combined wealth is over £1billion, the dragons could 'realistically' outbid any team in Europe for any player in the world.

All the names mentioned on this thread however are second rate because Dragons supporters have swallowed the board's claims of impoverishment at the hands of the WRU.

It is all rather pitiful.

Except they haven't plead impoverishment, they've said the WRU curtail their ability to grow the business. This is an undeniable fact, and to be aware of the potential the board have to invest in the team, and then claim the only thing stopping them is their own parsimony, is utterly absurd.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Fri 24 May 2013, 4:17 pm

Their are a few who could strengthen the region.
The best and most likely option would be Rhys Gill, i'm sure he is out of contract with the Saracens and he is looking to come back to Wales. He was linked with a move back to the Blues at the beginning of the year but they have brought Gethin back now so i'm not sure if that deal is still on the table.
Scarlet's already have a lot of youngsters coming through in Rhodri, rob evans and Gareth Thomas.
Ospreys don't need anymore help with props cause they all ready have a star line up of props.
Dragons have no good props their at the moment and no promising one really coming through. So rhys would be a great addition.
Another I would agree with is craig Mitchell, great tight head, has a few years left with Exeter but would also be an awesome signing. or another promising tight head who would get more game time at the dragons is Nicky Thomas who in the U'20's six nations this year made the strongest scrum out of all the nations (along with nicky smith)
Two other are Gavin Henson and obvisoly I would like Luke Charteris and and aled brew to return.
I did want Nicky robinson to go to them and they did try but he chose Bristol. Another would have been owen Williams of the scarlets but he has now gone to Leicester, can't see him getting much game time at Leicester though so maybe in a season dragons could try and snatch him.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Fri 24 May 2013, 4:19 pm

whocares wrote:What about Eifion Lewis-Roberts ? he could bring some valuable experience to your young props.

to get back on track with the thread. only reason i didn't mention ELR was because I'm guessing he's on a hefty age at Sale. Also he came back from Toulon to be closer to his farm in North Wales (Ruthin) so although a good player, don't think he's realistic for any of the regions. Maybe RGC1404 one day.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 24 May 2013, 4:24 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Where would you play stone ? Ahhhh, come to think of it you will probably have a journeyman NWQ player taking your place. Laugh
I didn't think it mattered? As I am WQ, I am at least as good as anyone from outside Wales and will only get better if simply given game time.

Joking aside, I reckon I genuinely could beat Steffan Jones at most fitness tests at the moment.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 24 May 2013, 4:27 pm

Phil Dolman I'd like to see back. Or Darth. Or even the Emerickan at a push. I like the idea of a Dixon/Hughes midfield but if we have to play Stef at ten at the same time that's too much inexperience.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 24 May 2013, 6:02 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

I didn't think it mattered? As I am WQ, I am at least as good as anyone from outside Wales and will only get better if simply given game time.

Joking aside, I reckon I genuinely could beat Steffan Jones at most fitness tests at the moment.

There we have it. That's the front row and 10 sorted.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 24 May 2013, 6:11 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

There we have it. That's the front row and 10 sorted.

Not really, my goal kicking's shart. Burton would prolly keep me out of the side stopping me becoming the next Neil Jenkins an' all
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Fri 24 May 2013, 6:19 pm

Stone Motif wrote:Phil Dolman I'd like to see back. Or Darth. Or even the Emerickan at a push. I like the idea of a Dixon/Hughes midfield but if we have to play Stef at ten at the same time that's too much inexperience.

good call on dolman and darth. did think of dolman but think he's enjoying exeter too much to return to dragons. darth is probably one of the most under rated players in the regional game. captain material, true pro of the game.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 24 May 2013, 7:53 pm

pioden gorllewin wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:Phil Dolman I'd like to see back. Or Darth. Or even the Emerickan at a push. I like the idea of a Dixon/Hughes midfield but if we have to play Stef at ten at the same time that's too much inexperience.

good call on dolman and darth. did think of dolman but think he's enjoying exeter too much to return to dragons. darth is probably one of the most under rated players in the regional game. captain material, true pro of the game.
Never ever understood why we let Dolly go, he's a great little player. Not sure if Exeter want to really kick on they will want to upgrade across the backs though which may open the door.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 24 May 2013, 8:20 pm

Who would you (realistically) like to see in a wet Newport Gwent Dragons shirt?
Some bird I saw shopping in Tescos earlier today.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 24 May 2013, 9:15 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Who would you (realistically) like to see in a wet Newport Gwent Dragons shirt?
Some bird I saw shopping in Tescos earlier today.

book her in for the half time entertainment some time around nov-feb and tell her to bring her mop, she'll be soaked in no time
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Welsh Magician Sat 25 May 2013, 11:17 am

How is Bishop out of favour at the O's? He's first choice 13 there.

Welsh Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 May 2013, 11:40 am

Magician, my mistake I didn't realise he was injured. Just thought they were trying a few other people instead.

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 25 May 2013, 1:06 pm

Who would you (realistically) like to see in a Gwent Dragons shirt?
(Realistically), there is this little brunette I worked with in Colombia last week. She was a'likin me.
(Avtually), I would prefer to see her out of it

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat 25 May 2013, 1:57 pm

Linda Lusardi was always a favourite of mine.Not sure how secure under a high ball she is but would bring plenty to the team photo.Might put a few on the gate as well.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 25 May 2013, 7:31 pm

Well I would love to see Kingsley Jones and Shane Howarth in training kit as director/coach for a start.

Then as for players:

Someone along the lines of Gill, Lewis-Roberts or Mitchell in the front row.

Bew back

Bishop would be great if he is out of favour

McCloed also or even Nicky Robinson
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 May 2013, 12:33 am

I do think Brewy will come back soon enough anyway. I would love Gill or Mitchell, but not sure how we can pull that off. Hopefully with Ystrad Mynach due, we can be a bit more appealing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 28 May 2013, 10:05 pm

Hooped black and amber is the way forward.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 May 2013, 10:24 pm

Not for me vomit

Unless you mean in a Risca RFC sense, then yeah buddy notworthy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 28 May 2013, 10:42 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Not for me vomit

No I don't mean Risca, wherever that is. Rodders is where it's at ie NEWPOOOOORT in black and amber.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 May 2013, 11:02 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

No I don't mean Risca, wherever that is. Rodders is where it's at ie NEWPOOOOORT in black and amber.

Then definitely vomit

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 28 May 2013, 11:17 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Then definitely vomit

Oh I see. The name "Newport" to you means puke.
How sad.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 May 2013, 11:23 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Then definitely vomit

How sad.

Why is it sad? You're on form tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 28 May 2013, 11:29 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Then definitely vomit

How sad.

Why is it sad? You're on form tonight.

You tell me. It was you that gave NEWPORT the vomit emoticon.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 29 May 2013, 10:26 pm

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't NEWPORT Gwent Dragons the correct spelling of the pro team playing at Rodders yet supporters of the said team were persuaded/encouraged not to mention the "N" word? How mad is that?
I don't get it. I really don't.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 May 2013, 10:54 pm

Well then you're either a poor wum, or a simpleton.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 29 May 2013, 10:59 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Well then you're either a poor wum, or a simpleton.

I'm neither, but please educate me if you will because i'm sick and tired of the regional pretendings.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 May 2013, 11:16 pm

If you really want to know, start a thread and stop trying to disrupt this one. Any Welsh rugby person would know why Newport doesn't get shouted at games, why supporters chant Dragons and why me as a Crosskeys and Risca supporter/player wouldn't be keen on Newport being shouted. Pretty basic that, so I'll refer you to my last post where I suggest you're either slow or on the wum.

I won't respond to you again, should you decide to try and stir things up on this thread again. Try to stay on topic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 29 May 2013, 11:40 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Any Welsh rugby person would know why Newport doesn't get shouted at games.

I'm a Welsh rugby person I reckon, but I must have missed this explanation. Please enlighten me Risca.
Actually there isn't an explanation.

Last edited by Cardiff Dave on Thu 30 May 2013, 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : welsh rugby nonsense)

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 30 May 2013, 8:44 am

The explanation is pretty simple: 'Newport' gets chanted at Newport RFC matches; no one chants 'Newport' at Dragons games because it's not Newport RFC playing. it's the Dragons, hence 'Dragons' is the chant.

That seems simple enough to me.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next