The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who would you (realistically) like to see in a Gwent Dragons shirt

+17
bedfordwelsh
Taffineastbourne
doctor_grey
Welsh Magician
Cardiff Dave
Jhamer25
LordDowlais
Scrumdown
whocares
ScarletSpiderman
formerly known as Sam
Scarpia
thebluesmancometh
pioden gorllewin
Stone Motif
Luckless Pedestrian
Kingshu
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Who would you (realistically) like to see in a Gwent Dragons shirt - Page 2 Empty Who would you (realistically) like to see in a Gwent Dragons shirt

Post by Guest Fri 24 May 2013, 11:04 am

First topic message reminder :

Keep it clean, no Linda Lusardi calls!

I was thinking about the NWQ and the WQ conundrum, and how in an ideal world the Welsh players who have fallen out of favour at other regions or overseas clubs would all automatically like to come to the Dragons. It doesn't happen for one reason or another, be it financial, aspirational or just plain snobbery! So, I was wondering which players you realistically (in terms of money, not necessarily likelihood) would like to see at the Dragons, a player that would help to tick a number of the boxes in terms of promoting the welsh agenda, developing a strong region, nurturing Wales ambitions, bringing in the odd quality overseas player, etc. Remember, we're not too flush so Dan Carter at 10 is unlikely.

I'll start:

I'm always been a fan of Andrew Bishop. He's not the flashiest, but he is solid in defense and dependable - like a better version of Ashley Smith for me. Ashley has gone apparently so Bishop would be a good replacement. He seems to have fallen out of favour slightly at the O's so this would give him a chance to get back into regular rugby and give us a stronger midfield.

Another would be Craig Mitchell. A very good prop who I'd like to see shore up our scrum. Playing in Exeter, probably on a good salary and loving life, but I'd like to bring him home to improve our region.

Jonathan Thomas - linked to a move away, out of favour at the O's. We were doing OK for backrow options, but with Lydiate going and Coombs looking more like a lock option I think Thomas could come in and be a very useful addition. It may help him get back in the Wales team window if he can get a load of games under his belt.

I'll think of some more as I go...

Back to top Go down

Who would you (realistically) like to see in a Gwent Dragons shirt - Page 2 Empty Re: Who would you (realistically) like to see in a Gwent Dragons shirt

Post by munkian Fri 31 May 2013, 8:59 am

Anyway, moving on....

I think J Thomas would have been a solid signing for us - experienced and can cover lock and all the back row if needed.

I'd love someone like Ken Owens or Rhys Gill to add some clout to the front row.

I'd love Brew back, quite happy with Prydie so Martyn Thomas can stay where he is I reckon.

Henson would be a great signing

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Who would you (realistically) like to see in a Gwent Dragons shirt - Page 2 Empty Re: Who would you (realistically) like to see in a Gwent Dragons shirt

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 31 May 2013, 9:48 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The explanation is pretty simple: 'Newport' gets chanted at Newport RFC matches; no one chants 'Newport' at Dragons games because it's not Newport RFC playing. it's the Dragons, hence 'Dragons' is the chant.

That seems simple enough to me.

It may be simple to you, but it's illogical to me.
The team is called Newport Gwent Dragons right so why is chanting Newport frowned upon (as if I didn't know)? How do you explain this though to visiting fans or local kids just joining in the fun who are not accustomed to Welsh rugby regional nonsense? Those same youngsters must be well confused with the N word emblazened across the flags they wave. Is there another team in the world where their first name is basically not allowed to be chanted? Maybe it would be a good idea to drop the N word and the G word altogether and just have Dragons? Or do the opposite of course.
We've had similar down Cardiff way where the chanting of Bloos was frowned upon and all it caused was aggravation between fans.

http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 31 May 2013, 10:00 pm

munkian wrote:Anyway, moving on....

I think J Thomas would have been a solid signing for us - experienced and can cover lock and all the back row if needed.

I'd love someone like Ken Owens or Rhys Gill to add some clout to the front row.

I'd love Brew back, quite happy with Prydie so Martyn Thomas can stay where he is I reckon.

Henson would be a great signing

I'd love it too if the Newport based outfit could atract these players you mention. It would certainly make my team take note.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 May 2013, 10:37 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The explanation is pretty simple: 'Newport' gets chanted at Newport RFC matches; no one chants 'Newport' at Dragons games because it's not Newport RFC playing. it's the Dragons, hence 'Dragons' is the chant.

The team is called Newport Gwent Dragons right so why is chanting Newport frowned upon (as if I didn't know)? How do you explain this though to visiting fans or local kids just joining in the fun who are not accustomed to Welsh rugby regional nonsense? Those same youngsters must be well confused with the N word emblazened across the flags they wave. Is there another team in the world where their first name is basically not allowed to be chanted? Maybe it would be a good idea to drop the N word and the G word altogether and just have Dragons? Or do the opposite of course.
We've had similar down Cardiff way where the chanting of Bloos was frowned upon and all it caused was aggravation between fans.

Start this argument on another thread, bone 'ead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 31 May 2013, 10:45 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

bone 'ead? argument?

Last edited by Cardiff Dave on Fri 31 May 2013, 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Welsh rugby nonsense again.)

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Jun 2013, 12:44 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

bone 'ead? argument?

Bone head is fair considering I've already asked you not to disrupt a transfer thread further. If you looked at the shirt etc, you'd see Newport Gwent in one colour and Dragons in another, so it isn't hard to differentiate. Also, why would a visiting fan shout for the Dragons anyway?

Do Manchester United supporters get confused with two names? No they don't. Same thing. Give it a rest. Your discussion is boring and off topic. I'll happily educate you on all of this, if you start a new thread and stop trying to disrupt this one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 01 Jun 2013, 1:40 am

OK Risca you win, i'm a boring bonehead, the Drags aint Newport at all and I promise i'll never mention the "N" word ever again.
Who would you (realistically) like to see in a Gwent Dragons shirt - Page 2 Logo-Wide-Dragons_rdax_530x400

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Jun 2013, 2:32 am

I'm glad you proved my point about Dragons being a different colour. Too easy. See the G logo too? I don't see a G in Newport, unless it's silent? Where is a Dragons tail part of the logo relevant to Newport either? You're right though, I do win. If you really can't get your head round it, start a thread for yourself. It's getting tiresome proving you wrong on this one.

If the Dragons were Newport, how come our stronger released players were at Bedwas this season and Keys the season before? You are out of your depth here. Try a new stick to beat the Dragons with (on a new thread).

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 01 Jun 2013, 5:49 am

heard an interesting fact yesterday that thee a couple of commercial people who are already involved looking to invest further into the region....

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 01 Jun 2013, 5:54 am

and I would like to see tovey back if I am honest. He is going to be second fiddle to patchell at the blues from now on....

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Jun 2013, 7:54 am

I know I shouldn't but I can't resist: Cardiff Dave, the fans have been the ones to drop the 'Newport'. That the board haven't is up to them, but the fact that 'Newport' chants have dried up on the terraces years ago tells you a lot about what the fans want. Newport fans go to watch the RFC side in the prem. I know a lot of them, some of them mates who refuse to support a regional side and just want to support their town. That's fine of course, fans support clubs at all league levels so I don't feel that all Newport fans had to make the switch to support regional rugby, it's up to the,, and regional rugby allows regional fans and club/town fans to exist in that way. Yes, the badge says Newport but you speak to Dragons fans and we are just Dragons representing Gwent. Risca Rev is an example of this. Bedford is an example too. Our group at the Dragons includes people from outside Newport who were not Newport fans under the old structure (Cwmbran, Chepstow and Abertillery people). And I'm an Ex Newport RFC fan (well not ex, I still follow their welsh prem results) who supports the region wide rugby at the Dragons.

A final thing too - if this was a Newport side then why would we be shifting our training base to Caerphilly? As I see it Newport will just be the venue for our games from now on. Most things will be done in Caerphilly.

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 01 Jun 2013, 8:09 am

i only started following domestic rugby in wales when regionalism was formed...living in Monmouthshire I felt enfranchised being part of a greater gwent region...

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Jun 2013, 8:39 am

Gavin clap

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 01 Jun 2013, 10:33 pm

My dad and I had season tickets for the Dragons in their second season (when the promise of our first season under Mike Ruddock dissipated under that Aussie league coach who gave kicking duties to Ceri Sweeney rather than Percy Montgomery, who in fairness looked like his heart wasn't in it any more). Anyway, there was a split in chanting that season: most of the time it would be 'Dragons', but now and then you'd hear the old 'Newpo-ort' chant start up, and every time it would be countered by the 'Dragons' chant again. Point is, it's years since 'Newport' was chanted at Dragons games, because everyone in Gwent knows that the Dragons aren't Newport RFC and never will be. If people outside the region want to tell us that they are, then let them. It won't make any difference.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 02 Jun 2013, 8:04 pm

Hi Griff: the Dragons moving their traning to Caerphilly. is confusing as Caerphilly.is not in Gwent, if I remember correctly it was in Mid Glamorgan when Gwent etc existed. Looking at road signs it seems Caerphilly. have clained half of what was Gwent.

Anyway back on subject, the Dragons need a front row which is not news to any of us, the Scarlets seem to be offloading, they should try to get S Lee on board before he is known outside of Wales. JT would have been a god option for the second row but it is too late. The Dragons should have Waters back from injury for L Evans to play 6 in stead of Lydiate.

Hope for a better season.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 02 Jun 2013, 8:21 pm

samson lee has signed a 5 year dev contract with the scarlets, and even if they were looking to offload he wouldnt come to us

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jun 2013, 8:27 pm

glamorganalun wrote:Hi Griff: the Dragons moving their traning to Caerphilly. is confusing as Caerphilly.is not in Gwent, if I remember correctly it was in Mid Glamorgan when Gwent etc existed. Looking at road signs it seems Caerphilly. have clained half of what was Gwent.

Anyway back on subject, the Dragons need a front row which is not news to any of us, the Scarlets seem to be offloading, they should try to get S Lee on board before he is known outside of Wales. JT would have been a god option for the second row but it is too late. The Dragons should have Waters back from injury for L Evans to play 6 in stead of Lydiate.

I don't know what the deal is with Caerphilly etc, as it would seem like it should be in the Cardiff regional cover thing. I was surprised when Darren Edwards trained Senghenydd a couple of seasons back ready for their swalec plate/bowl final to learn that Sneggy were in our region.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jun 2013, 9:47 pm

glamorganalun wrote:Hi Griff: the Dragons moving their traning to Caerphilly. is confusing as Caerphilly.is not in Gwent, if I remember correctly it was in Mid Glamorgan when Gwent etc existed. Looking at road signs it seems Caerphilly. have clained half of what was Gwent.

No, Gwent consisted of Newport, Torfaen, Monmouthshire, Blaenau Gwent and Caerphilly (Islwyn). Gwent doesn't actually exist anymore obviously, since it was broken down into the unitary authorities.

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 03 Jun 2013, 1:39 pm

Griff wrote:

No, Gwent consisted of Newport, Torfaen, Monmouthshire, Blaenau Gwent and Caerphilly (Islwyn). Gwent doesn't actually exist anymore obviously, since it was broken down into the unitary authorities.

Hi Griff:

I am shwing my age, prior to 1996 Caerphilly and surrounding area was Mid Glam, I know this as I worked breifly for Glam County Council based in Cardiff and visited schools, fire stations and old people homes etc. Caerphilly came under "Rumney Valley area" of Mid Glam.

See link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid_Glamorgan

This is why I find it odd seeing Caephilly road signs on the heads of the valley road, heading to Ebbw Vale and on the M$ nowhere near Caerphilly.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 03 Jun 2013, 3:15 pm

GavinDragon wrote:i only started following domestic rugby in wales when regionalism was formed...living in Monmouthshire I felt enfranchised being part of a greater gwent region...

clap

I know a hell of a lot of people in Pembrokeshire who watched the odd game now and then on TV (pre-regionalism) who have done exactly the same and bought into their region, as it is theirs not just a town that is near-ish. And I reckon there are far more people like them, you (and me to a point) than there are dis-enfrancised fans.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Jun 2013, 8:00 pm

glamorganalun wrote:
Griff wrote:

Hi Griff:

I am shwing my age, prior to 1996 Caerphilly and surrounding area was Mid Glam, I know this as I worked breifly for Glam County Council based in Cardiff and visited schools, fire stations and old people homes etc. Caerphilly came under "Rumney Valley area" of Mid Glam.

See link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid_Glamorgan

This is why I find it odd seeing Caephilly road signs on the heads of the valley road, heading to Ebbw Vale and on the M$ nowhere near Caerphilly.

It's the Islwyn thing that's confusing. Islwyn was part of Gwent, and consisted of places such as Abercarn, Mynyddislwyn and Risca, Bedwellty, Aberbargoed, Cwmsyfiog, New Tredegar and Phillipstown. All of these places are in Caerphilly County Borough Council now. Therefore, parts of Caerphilly CBC have always been in Gwent. I think maybe where we're at odds is that you may be referring to Caerphilly the town and I'm talking about the whole county borough??? Not sure. But Gwent in rugby terms has Bedwas and Cross Keys as part of their region, and they're both in Caerphilly County Borough. If they were mid glam (if Caerphilly CBC was part of mid glam) then they'd both be in the Blues region wouldn't they?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Jun 2013, 8:09 pm

Just to add for clarity that the Dragons have moved their training facilities to Ystrad Mynach, which is in Caerphilly county borough. They haven't moved to Caerphilly town. Although they're not too far apart.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Jun 2013, 8:13 pm

"When it existed, the administrative area was divided into several districts: Blaenau Gwent District, Islwyn District, Monmouth District, Newport District and Torfaen District. The successor unitary authorities are the Blaenau Gwent County Borough, Caerphilly County Borough (part of which came from Mid Glamorgan), Monmouthshire (which covers the eastern 60% of the historic county), City of Newport and Torfaen County Borough.

In 2003 the preserved county of Gwent expanded to cover the whole of Caerphilly County Borough;[5] the Gwent Police area having already been realigned to these boundaries in 1996. In 2007, the population of this enlarged area was estimated as 560,500,[6] making it the most populous of the preserved counties."

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 04 Jun 2013, 8:22 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:i only started following domestic rugby in wales when regionalism was formed...living in Monmouthshire I felt enfranchised being part of a greater gwent region...

clap

I know a hell of a lot of people in Pembrokeshire who watched the odd game now and then on TV (pre-regionalism) who have done exactly the same and bought into their region, as it is theirs not just a town that is near-ish. And I reckon there are far more people like them, you (and me to a point) than there are dis-enfrancised fans.

yes i grew up in the caldicot/chepstow area on the border and know and see plenty of people I grew up with at Rodney Parade so not as if they are armchair fans either

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 04 Jun 2013, 11:44 am

Do the boundaries really matter?

It's not like the provinces are used for anything other than sports, the councils, admin politics all have completly different areas, County Dublin in Leinster, has long since broke into 3 Councils, but for sporting purposes its one county.

Can Gwent not just exist for sports?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:13 pm

It sort of does Kingshu. One of the strengths of the Irish model is that the 4 boundaries are well established. People know whether they're Munster men, Ulster men, etc. They're born into it, and have family traditions for the area. People bleed their province, or so it seems. It's very hard to support Gwent, for example, if you're living in Caerphilly county borough which used to have some bits in Gwent, but some of that is possibly in the Blues region and some is now in the Dragons. It's confusing. With club sides they very much represent a town or city. With regions they are meant to represent a defined region. When the lines are blurred then it is difficult to know who you 'belong' to. This didn't happen clubs for obvious reasons. A bit like the Irish provinces, the clubs had die hard people who identified with their town. That's always been the way in Wales.

There's too much 'no mans land' in the welsh model that either excludes some fans or confuses others by overlapping the boundaries (at least in terms of what people traditionally understand to be the boundaries). Calling one region after a no defunct county (Gwent) only adds to the confusion, although I've always maintained that we in Gwent should have it the easiest in terms of identity as we're the only one with an actual region (at least historically) in our title.

I'm not saying let's go back to clubs at all. Just responding to Kingshu that names existing just for sport does not make it easy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 04 Jun 2013, 1:07 pm

What I maybe find confusing is, people identify with thier clubs, but are not sure about region, but are all th eclubs not assigned to regions?

So someone who support Bedwas RFC (can be any club), know that as they support that team and its affiliated to Dragons, then Dragons is thier regional team. If every club is assiged to a region then the supporters sould be able to follow it up to regional level?

I know that it doesn't always work, when there are fallings out, Neath with Ospreys, Ponty and Blues etc, but surly this is the same as when you used to see Munster tops in Leinster?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 04 Jun 2013, 1:32 pm

Griff wrote:There's too much 'no mans land' in the welsh model that either excludes some fans or confuses others by overlapping the boundaries (at least in terms of what people traditionally understand to be the boundaries). Calling one region after a no defunct county (Gwent) only adds to the confusion, although I've always maintained that we in Gwent should have it the easiest in terms of identity as we're the only one with an actual region (at least historically) in our title.

The Scarlets have never had Dyfyd in their title, however that is basically what their region is, especially now the North is set free (and I don't mean George sob).

The ones who must really struggle are the Blues and Ospreys, when it comes to where belongs to them, as they not only had to deal with their original boundaries but then had to deal with how the Warriors territory was carved up between them too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 04 Jun 2013, 1:38 pm

Kingshu wrote:What I maybe find confusing is, people identify with thier clubs, but are not sure about region, but are all th eclubs not assigned to regions?

So someone who support Bedwas RFC (can be any club), know that as they support that team and its affiliated to Dragons, then Dragons is thier regional team. If every club is assiged to a region then the supporters sould be able to follow it up to regional level?

I know that it doesn't always work, when there are fallings out, Neath with Ospreys, Ponty and Blues etc, but surly this is the same as when you used to see Munster tops in Leinster?

I think given time the general rugby public will 'learn' what region they are in, and from the sounds of it the regions are all trying to push their identity to the clubs in their regions. It will take a fair bit of time, and probably a generation or two of players coming from the regional clubs for the regional concept to really filter through. But IMO once people see a few lads from their local club, like Bedwas for example, running out for the Dragons then the fans of Bedwas will feel more inclined to class the Dragons as their region etc.

As for the odd 'wrong shirt' in the regions, I doubt that will ever change, there will always be folk who want to follow the best team around, or who have moved from one area to another and want to let everyone know where they are from. I know that I am a sod for making sure I wear a Scarlets jersey whenever I am in Swansea, Cardiff or Newport, just so people know I am not a local, so I guess if I moved there I would constantly be wearing the shirt.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 04 Jun 2013, 2:00 pm

The regional concept is still relatively young. Some people will never get behind it and I don't think anything can be done about them; but over time, I'm sure you will see more and more people identifying with their regions, provided they're given a fighting chance.

Do the regions do enough to get people to buy in? Probably not.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 04 Jun 2013, 2:18 pm

Rumours are that the Dragons' coaches and director of rugby are on their way out...

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 04 Jun 2013, 2:42 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Griff wrote:There's too much 'no mans land' in the welsh model that either excludes some fans or confuses others by overlapping the boundaries (at least in terms of what people traditionally understand to be the boundaries). Calling one region after a no defunct county (Gwent) only adds to the confusion, although I've always maintained that we in Gwent should have it the easiest in terms of identity as we're the only one with an actual region (at least historically) in our title.

The Scarlets have never had Dyfyd in their title, however that is basically what their region is, especially now the North is set free (and I don't mean George sob).

The ones who must really struggle are the Blues and Ospreys, when it comes to where belongs to them, as they not only had to deal with their original boundaries but then had to deal with how the Warriors territory was carved up between them too.

Oops!
Better get the website updated, sharpish;
http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/rugby/clubs.php

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Jun 2013, 6:23 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Rumours are that the Dragons' coaches and director of rugby are on their way out...

It's more than a rumour, it's as good as done. It should've been finalised by the board today. Beale and Appleyard gone, Lyn Jones in so I hear. I'm not convinced by the Jones part of it, as I thought he was staying with Welsh, but it seems pretty genuine.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 04 Jun 2013, 8:15 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Rumours are that the Dragons' coaches and director of rugby are on their way out...

It's more than a rumour, it's as good as done. It should've been finalised by the board today. Beale and Appleyard gone, Lyn Jones in so I hear. I'm not convinced by the Jones part of it, as I thought he was staying with Welsh, but it seems pretty genuine.

That would be a real shake up and definitely for the better. Although getting shot of Edwards is really needed.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Jun 2013, 8:37 pm

I think Edwards is alright as a backs coach, just never as a head coach.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Jun 2013, 9:19 pm

That would be great Risca. Heard a few rumblings on other forums such as Dragged Up. I've never understood what Beale brings to the party. Happy to be told otherwise, but I see a lot of other directors of rugby as being at least head coaches somewhere else first. Not sure that Beale has done that anywhere. At least not in my time. Although saying that, I'll be the first to admit that I probably don't fully understand the DoR role!

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 04 Jun 2013, 9:55 pm

Happy Days!!!! Very Happy

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 04 Jun 2013, 10:02 pm

Lyn Jones in would be great though Kingsley would be better in my opinion. As for the concept of Regionalism then some of us older generation will never accept the Regions and the way they were formed.

All Regions should aim their marketing at the youth and the kids because they are the future as people say.

If a young lad wants to go and watch current Welsh Internationals play then they have to follow a Region (or move to France Whistle ) but that doesn't mena they cant still be part of and play for the local club.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Jun 2013, 10:14 pm

I asked about Kingsley and it doesn't seem too concrete yet. I think we will get him at some point, but maybe when his time with Russia is up. A watch this space maybe?

I'm very happy with the coaching changes though. Not sure who will be our guru for defence now. I'd expect a few interesting weeks up until the season starts.

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed 05 Jun 2013, 6:54 am

whats colin charvis up to nowadays? Our defence was very good when he was defence coach

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 05 Jun 2013, 7:59 am

I think Appleyard had to go really, our defence got worse as the season went on and it was a joke in some games. That said, it's a leap of faith at this stage to assume his successor will be any better!

I'd love to see Lyn Jones involved, and he did work with us in some capacity a while back, albeit briefly. Two things in particular I liike about Lyn Jones: his ability to build great team / squad spirit wherever he's worked, and his willingness to think outside the box. He's not afraid of trying things. So if we do manage to get him, he'll get the best out of the players and we won't die wondering.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 05 Jun 2013, 4:08 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I think Appleyard had to go really, our defence got worse as the season went on and it was a joke in some games. That said, it's a leap of faith at this stage to assume his successor will be any better!

I'd love to see Lyn Jones involved, and he did work with us in some capacity a while back, albeit briefly. Two things in particular I liike about Lyn Jones: his ability to build great team / squad spirit wherever he's worked, and his willingness to think outside the box. He's not afraid of trying things. So if we do manage to get him, he'll get the best out of the players and we won't die wondering.

Totally agree, I just hope he gets the support from above to invest in players, he like other coaches can only do so much. Lyn Jones has proven himself with Neath, Treorchy, Ospreys and L Welsh and he knows the game starts with the forwards which is the Dragons weakness.

Great news for Gwent rugby (and parts of Mid Glam, joke).

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:04 am

One of my first games, just before regionalism by the way, was Cardiff v Newport at CAP and more than 16000 attended that day.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 07 Jun 2013, 6:42 am

Saw the rumours Lyn Jones and Gavin Henson to Dragons...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 07 Jun 2013, 7:18 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:

One of my first games, just before regionalism by the way, was Cardiff v Newport at CAP and more than 16000 attended that day.

what year was that? If CAP's capacity is 9 or 10000 now (correct me if im wrong) how could it have been so much bigger back then?

and secondly I dont see why you felt the need to point that out to me Cardiff Vs Newport RFC even if played now in front of 20,000 would be of little interest to me as newport is not my team as I am not from newport...(doesnt mean to say I wouldnt want them to win as I would-as i do for all the gwent based clubs)

dragons vs mogliano in front of 1000 is of interest because they are MY region, its where I am from and I want them to do well....

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Jun 2013, 8:49 am

GavinDragon wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

what year was that? If CAP's capacity is 9 or 10000 now (correct me if im wrong) how could it have been so much bigger back then?

and secondly I dont see why you felt the need to point that out to me Cardiff Vs Newport RFC even if played now in front of 20,000 would be of little interest to me as newport is not my team as I am not from newport...(doesnt mean to say I wouldnt want them to win as I would-as i do for all the gwent based clubs)

dragons vs mogliano in front of 1000 is of interest because they are MY region, its where I am from and I want them to do well....

Double clap for that one Gavin. Good man. clap clap

Some people it seems will never be happy to let people enjoy and embrace regional rugby if that's what they want to do. Cardiff were allowed to stand alone, and Cardiff Dave you've got your reasons for still feeling that it is solely a club side, and that's fine. But the Dragons were given a region, we embrace it (but could probably do better), our fans embrace it, and the only thing left in is one small word (Newport) that the important people (our fans) are happy to ignore for the most part in the hope that the people in charge drop it one day.

What I would say though is that if Cardiff Blues are essentially just the club side of old, not the regional side, then Cardiff RFC should not be allowed to play in the Welsh Prem as they already exist in pro rugby. Seems little point having two teams the same. Maybe it would free up a space for another club from the 'region' to go into the prem???

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:54 am

no some people will never get it but its ten years in now in another ten years a group of fans 20 and under wont know any different,

still think we need to do more as a region, id drop the newport gwent to just the dragons

and i would love a few games played at EXP

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Jun 2013, 8:32 am

I would deffo drop 'Newport' but for me every team needs a location identifier of some sort. For that reason I'd stick with Gwent as it does describe our area and the teams within it and at least allows fans to identify with a team that represents them. Just a personal opinion. Others may think differently. But for me Dragons doesn't tell people who the team is or where they're from.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 08 Jun 2013, 8:59 am

Griff wrote:I would deffo drop 'Newport' but for me every team needs a location identifier of some sort. For that reason I'd stick with Gwent as it does describe our area and the teams within it and at least allows fans to identify with a team that represents them. Just a personal opinion. Others may think differently. But for me Dragons doesn't tell people who the team is or where they're from.

I think Dragons on its own works, after all that is what most people called them anyhow. Also it is just Ospreys or Scarlets yet people know who / where they are.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:08 pm

In Wales yes, but I just like a team with a place. Wellington Hurricanes, Auckland Blues, Waikato Chiefs, Melbourne Rebels, Leicester Tigers, Sale Sharks, etc., etc. I just think it works better that way, rather than just dropping the place names and using Tigers, Sharks, etc. as it can get a bit confusing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next