The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs warwickshire county championship

+8
kingdaveeagle
thegooch7
Shelsey93
chichestersurryfan
Carrotdude
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

surrey vs warwickshire county championship Empty surrey vs warwickshire county championship

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 04 Jun 2013, 2:38 pm

Surrey Team Director Chris Adams has named a twelve man squad for the LV=County Championship match against Warwickshire at Guildford starting on Wednesday.
Gareth Batty misses the game with a side injury and it is anticipated he will be out of action for 4 to 6 weeks. Vikram Solanki will captain the side in Batty’s absence.
there is no place again for roy king in the squad or dernbach who england need to carry the drinks out tomorrow.
The Surrey squad to play Warwickshire at Guildford CC in the LV=County Championship on Wednesday 5th June, Thursday 6th June, Friday 7th June and Saturday 8th June:
Vikram Solanki (capt)
Arun Harinath
Rory Burns
Ricky Ponting
Zander de Bruyn
Steven Davies
Gary Wilson
Stuart Meaker
Chris Tremlett
Tim Linley
Jon Lewis
Gary Keedy
probably will be department store to miss out cant have a tail that long if we left the brain out

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs warwickshire county championship Empty Re: surrey vs warwickshire county championship

Post by guildfordbat Tue 04 Jun 2013, 2:59 pm

Thanks, JimBob.

I suspect Batty won't be too upset to have an injury and miss things unravelling further over the next few weeks. As mentioned on the ''v Essex Eagles YB40'' thread I thought Solanki made a poor fist of the captaincy last night but realistically who else is there? I doubt that Ponting knows everyone's name yet.

Could well be Lewis to miss out as JimBob suggests although I don't think Linley's place is that firmly nailed on.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

surrey vs warwickshire county championship Empty Re: surrey vs warwickshire county championship

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 04 Jun 2013, 8:22 pm

Ironic that we don't have a proper all rounder. Erm Don't know whether Ansari would have been available for selection. I'd have thought exams would be over by now.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 04 Jun 2013, 8:45 pm

Lewis to miss out I would think. My hope is that Surrey don't have a completely disastrous day one.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 04 Jun 2013, 8:56 pm

Carrot if just maybe for a change we could have two faster bowlers, probably Tremlett and Meaker, both performing well, we may not be batted out of the match on day one. I guess we are looking at Harinath opening with Burns. Hopefully at least one of those can play a long innings.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 04 Jun 2013, 9:33 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Ironic that we don't have a proper all rounder. Erm Don't know whether Ansari would have been available for selection. I'd have thought exams would be over by now.
I understand that Ansari finshes his exams later this week and that he'll play the CB40 game against Lancs on Sunday.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Tue 04 Jun 2013, 11:21 pm

Well I still am looking forward to a days cricket at Guildford on Thursday and hopefully catching up with GB, Carrotdude & the Corporal and anyone else...

Just for fun.... here are my predictions for the state of play come Thursday morning....

If Warks bat first tomorrow.... endof Day 1.... Warks 340 - 6 end of Day 2... Warks 420 all out ... Surrey 170 - 6

If Surrey bat first tomorrow -- end of Day 1 Surrey 230 all out... Warks 70 - 1 end of Day 2 Warks 430 all out!!

lets see just how wrong I can be and how unduly pessimistic I am!

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 05 Jun 2013, 8:38 am

Will be interesting to see how the pitch plays here... my understanding is that Woodbridge Road is usually flat. But surely Surrey will want to be able to force a result so I wonder if they'll have issued some special instructions to the groundsman.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 05 Jun 2013, 9:28 am

Solanki as captain doesn't instill me with much confidence - he's hardly worth a place in the team!
I would also leave out Brain-less every time, but I reckon it will be Lewis.
Here's hoping for a MAJOR improvement!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 05 Jun 2013, 10:52 am

Good call guildford viscount misses out.
Warwickshire won the toss and will bat

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 05 Jun 2013, 11:56 am

Good start by Meaker, just the 15 off the over

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 05 Jun 2013, 11:59 am

and now Brain-less follows suit!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Wed 05 Jun 2013, 12:13 pm

Where is Davies?

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Kidderlad Wed 05 Jun 2013, 12:33 pm

kingdaveeagle wrote:Where is Davies?

Just noticed that too!

Must be an injury? I doubt he has been given time off, as he was given the Oxford game off to come back home to Kidderminster Very Happy .

And although the Essex game wasn't his best, he had been doing far better than others recently what with knocking out those 50's. Smile

Kidderlad

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 05 Jun 2013, 12:35 pm

Apparently he caught a cold, but I doubt he could catch anything these days!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Kidderlad Wed 05 Jun 2013, 1:19 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Apparently he caught a cold, but I doubt he could catch anything these days!

Good gag! Very Happy

But, I assume you are only joking, as ESPN Cricinfo said he has a knee problem....

Kidderlad

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 05 Jun 2013, 2:40 pm

keedy get's a wkt in his first over Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 05 Jun 2013, 3:21 pm

wkt for the brain Yahoo
178 for 2

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Wed 05 Jun 2013, 3:37 pm

Another game probably beyond us already. Odds on us not winning a 4 day game?

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:12 pm

wkt for meaker Yahoo
208 for 3

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:26 pm

From the ground - Just to make clear it wasn't any abuse from me that has resulted in Lewis being subbed by Dernbach!

Mind you, Dernbach goes for 3 boundaries in his first over!!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:44 pm

guildfordbat wrote:From the ground - Just to make clear it wasn't any abuse from me that has resulted in Lewis being subbed by Dernbach!

Mind you, Dernbach goes for 3 boundaries in his first over!!
did you see the 3rd umpire put the board up Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:46 pm

dernbach 3 overs for 25 picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 05 Jun 2013, 6:03 pm

does anyone at this club teach line and length Headscratch

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Wed 05 Jun 2013, 6:20 pm

How does it work that Dernbach is allowed to come and play? Lewis had already bowled. Mind you, my 85 year old Mum could probably bowl as well as our bowlers!

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 05 Jun 2013, 6:44 pm

kingdaveeagle wrote:How does it work that Dernbach is allowed to come and play? Lewis had already bowled. Mind you, my 85 year old Mum could probably bowl as well as our bowlers!

Players released from England squads can play a full part (players called up midway through Championship games can also be replaced). Fair enough I think, otherwise being an England reserve could be a major disadvantage.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Wed 05 Jun 2013, 6:46 pm

well my prediction if Warks batted first... not too wide of the mark...but clearly I was being a tad optomistic thinking we'd get 6 wickets...

Fully expecting a Warks big thrash tomorrow am & first part of the afternoon... maybe around 500 mark and then Surrey to respond positively (or not as the case may be! Very Happy

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Wed 05 Jun 2013, 7:49 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:
kingdaveeagle wrote:How does it work that Dernbach is allowed to come and play? Lewis had already bowled. Mind you, my 85 year old Mum could probably bowl as well as our bowlers!

Players released from England squads can play a full part (players called up midway through Championship games can also be replaced). Fair enough I think, otherwise being an England reserve could be a major disadvantage.

Thanks - does that mean that he's replaced Lewis for the rest of the game?

Can see Warks getting 500 than bowling us out for <200. Crying or Very sad

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 05 Jun 2013, 8:31 pm

Feel a bit sorry for Jon Lewis - he tweeted this earlier - "Never been subbed off before!!! Shame was really enjoying my first outing of the season in the championship."

He then tweeted this which is one of the great pictures of all time

https://twitter.com/jonlew800/status/342352048597106688

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 05 Jun 2013, 9:04 pm

At least Cricinfo shows Surrey with a 12 strong batting line up. We are going to need all of them.

What price Rikki Clarke to score a rapid 80. Pity Evans is out injured I would have liked to seem him bat, even though it would probably have rubbed salt int the wound.

Looks as tho Meaker had a bit of a shocker. I suppose (says he reluctantly) that the Brain does tend to be one of our more economical bowlers in the cc. Maybe it's because the batsmen don't want to encourage the captain to take him off?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 05 Jun 2013, 9:37 pm

Hi Carrot. Have attempted to send a PM but not sure whether it worked!

(The answer re your query is affirmative!)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 05 Jun 2013, 9:49 pm

Today was so predictably depressing that I'm beyond getting angry now.
Just glad that the weather is again going to be decent for the chaps going tomorrow. Hope you see a Surrey 'fightback' as you avert your gaze from the flying pigs!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 05 Jun 2013, 9:51 pm

Gooch - yes this is poor.

Just have to hope that Ponting does same as what KP did at last year's Guildford cricket week by smashing ball to all parts in a double century.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Wed 05 Jun 2013, 9:59 pm

kingdaveeagle wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:

Thanks - does that mean that he's replaced Lewis for the rest of the game?

Can see Warks getting 500 than bowling us out for <200. Crying or Very sad

Can Warks. not bring Woakes in then?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 05 Jun 2013, 10:01 pm

Dernbach was made available, Rankin and Woakes were not for whatever reason - I guess Jade won't be needed in the champions trophy!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 05 Jun 2013, 10:04 pm

Guildford - for some reason my "outgoing" PMs wont leave my outbox. But have received delivery thanks. Looks like a few visits to the beer tent may be in order to ease the pain of 630 for 6 decl !

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 05 Jun 2013, 10:06 pm

Carrot - sorry about deluging you. If a things worth saying, it's worth saying three times!!! Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Wed 05 Jun 2013, 10:07 pm

Carrotdude wrote:Dernbach was made available, Rankin and Woakes were not for whatever reason - I guess Jade won't be needed in the champions trophy!

Does making Dernbach available constitute pro-Surrey or pro-Warks bias on the part of the ECB?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 05 Jun 2013, 10:11 pm

Hoggy - hmm! Difficult one.

Would Warks prefer to be facing the consistently erratic Dernbach or the wicketless "never knowingly" Jon Lewis. Tbh I don't think they would mind if we had both in the team.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 05 Jun 2013, 10:15 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Guildford - for some reason my "outgoing" PMs wont leave my outbox. But have received delivery thanks. Looks like a few visits to the beer tent may be in order to ease the pain of 630 for 6 decl !
Corporal - received your pm, thanks. Should arrive about lunchtime tomorrow. Look forward to seeing you, Chichester and Carrot again. Report of today to follow.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 05 Jun 2013, 10:33 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:

Understand the reasoning and agree with the general principle as set out above by Shelsey. However, feel the detail of when a "sub" can start batting or bowling might need some refinement / restriction. Dernbach not only replaced Lewis on the field but immediately took over bowling from him. By then Lewis had bowled 18 overs on a blazing hot day and was flagging. Jokes aside about Dernbach, that didn't seem quite right.

It should be noted that this substitution also weakens the batting and increases the length of the tail.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 05 Jun 2013, 11:23 pm

Saw the match today from about 12:15.

Just for once, a bit (although not loads) of sympathy for Surrey.

Absolutely crucial toss. Beautiful day for batting. Short boundaries and a fast outfield. The groundsman said that the pitch was meant to be "a result one" and offer something for the bowlers but had gone flat. (It still looked to me like it could do something by day 3 or 4 - appeared rough in parts, mainly very brown with the odd hint of green)

Winning the toss didn't give the day to Warks at the time but gave them the opportunity. All credit to Hoggy's Bears, they took it exceptionally well and Chopra especially so. Confident and forcefully in charge but never reckless, He must be breathing hard down Compton's Test neck. Westwood provided a fine foil to begin with whilst Ambrose brought some aggression later on which virtually guarantees Warks 5 batting points.

The bowlers commendably stuck at it but without much inspiration. Lewis and the Brain were generally tidy but never particularly threatening. That would have been ok if Meaker and Tremlett had been going for a few boundaries but taking wickets at the other end. However, they - especially Meaker whose radar was too often off - generally just went for boundaries! Keedy did alright but seemed to lose some accuracy late on. Dernbach was wayward at times (having replaced Lewis) but not quite as bad as his figures suggest - some of the boundaries off him were edges which raced away.

Our fielding was pretty good. Several fine performances - particularly Roy, Meaker and Harinath. Wilson also stood in well for Davies* with a couple of excellent leg side takes.

As acting skipper, Solanki could be heard encouraging the team and generally seeed as supportive as he could be. Did feel though that he held back Keedy too long (his wicket came in his first over when almost 150 was on the board) and that the morning bowling sequences were very formulaic. However, the biggest error was in losing the toss. I doubt we would have done as well as Warks if we had batted but it would have been nice to have had the chance.

* Spoke briefly to Davies at lunchtime. Top bloke. He said his injury was nothing serious and expected to play on Sunday.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 06 Jun 2013, 6:10 pm

these pitches are doing us no good at all when we need wins
another draw it is then Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Thu 06 Jun 2013, 6:46 pm

Another mixed day - three early wickets for Dernbach (shock) and then we let their 7th wicket pair put on over 200. Could you see our 7th wicket pair ever doing that? No, me neither. Still 3 wickets for Roy.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Thu 06 Jun 2013, 7:19 pm

Cheer up all, you know the pitch has 'high scoring draw' written all over it when

1/ a No 8 makes a career best 125, but even more, when
2/ AH opens the innings with a storming strike rate of over 28 Laugh

More seriously, well done the openers for avoiding disaster in a thankless final 20+ overs. Plan from here is secure max batting points and a 10 point draw by Saturday night, in time to watch England beat Argentiona at rugby later that evening.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 06 Jun 2013, 9:41 pm

Just back from sunny Guildford, where met Guildfordbat, Carrotdude and Chichestersurreyfan. After Surrey "reduced" Warks to 398 - 6 the day was dominated by a partnership of over 200 from Barker and Javid. There seemed little that the bowlers could do to contain Barker on an excellent batting pitch.

I had rarely seen Dernbach bowl well before, but today he was pretty good and deserved his three wickets in a productive first 45 minutes. Brain took two slip catches in the morning session but his own bowling rarely looked threatening. Keedy was not disastrous but also looked largely unthreatening.

Tremlett had plenty of bounce early on and could have had a couple of wickets with edges which went at catchable height wide of slip fielders but mostly looked still a bit short of full fitness and flexibility in the field.

Meaker again not at his best - though I have seen him worse.

But witnessed career best bowling figures by le Roi king of 3 - 35. clap He was tho bowling at the tail with a score of around 600 on the board.

Burns and Harinath dug in solidly at the end, tho they looked precarious near the close, with Burns dropped at leg slip and then surviving a huge appeal off the last ball of the day.

The beer was good. Ale Ale

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 06 Jun 2013, 9:56 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Just back from sunny Guildford, where met Guildfordbat, Carrotdude and Chichestersurreyfan. ....

The beer was good. Ale Ale

As was the company. thumbsup

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 06 Jun 2013, 10:10 pm

So Le Roi and Brain-less are in the team for their bowling!
6 sessions to survive with 20 wickets - I'd snatch your hand off for a draw still!
Sounds like the 606v2 gang had a good time - thanks for the report corporal!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Thu 06 Jun 2013, 11:52 pm

thoroughly enjoyed the day.... good company, tasty beer, fantastic weather, the ground lovely... good atmosphere, conversation and "good old fashioned county cricket"... a real pleasure to be there today, notwithstanding another difficult day for surrey on the pitch!

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 12:38 pm

Great pre-lunch session for Surrey that! Just the 5 more to survive now for a draw!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next