The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canadian GP Thread - Sponsored by Groundhog Protection Unit 2.0

+8
bogbrush
beninho
Good Golly I'm Olly
CaledonianCraig
Gerry SA
dyrewolfe
Bull
Fernando
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Canadian GP Thread - Sponsored by Groundhog Protection Unit 2.0  - Page 2 Empty Canadian GP Thread - Sponsored by Groundhog Protection Unit 2.0

Post by Fernando Wed 05 Jun 2013, 8:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

After two races in Europe, Formula One once again moves into flyaway mode, travelling to Montreal and the Canadian Grand Prix. The Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve hosts the seventh round of an enthralling 2013 FIA F1 World Championship.

Canada never fails to provide an entertaining grand prix. The high speeds and heavy braking zones make it a paradise for overtaking, while the unforgiving walls which hem in the race track on all sides provide a drama all of their own. Additionally, the weather rarely fails to play a part in the race: searing heat and tremendous downpours have both been commonplace in recent years – either of which can serve to turn race strategy on its head.

While the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve creates a host of challenges for engineers, the standout problem around its 4.361 kilometres is braking performance. The long, thin course is a stop-start race track, with a succession of straights broken up by chicanes and a hairpin. The combination of heavy braking zones and relatively short straights sees pads and discs pushed to their limits but denied decent intervals in which to cool down. It means brakes are pushed harder here than anywhere else on the grand prix calendar.

F1 comes to Canada with the familiar sight of Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull Racing leading their respective World Championships – but neither the German driver nor his Anglo-Austrian team has demonstrated any conclusive superiority this term. Four teams have recorded victories in the opening six races of the season, and despite each proving itself capable of dominating under the right circumstances, none has reached the top step of the podium without being made to work exceptionally hard for the privilege. The Canadian Grand Prix promises no less.

Schedule

Friday June 7, 2013
Practice 1 – 15:00 GMT
Practice 2 – 19:00 GMT

Saturday June 8, 2013
Practice 3 – 15:00 GMT
Qualifying – 16:00 GMT

Sunday June 9, 2013
Race – 19:00 GMT

Facts

The have been 43 Formula One Canadian Grands Prix, the first being won by Jack Brabham in 1967. That race was held at Mosport Park, as were the races in 1969, 1971-74 and 1976-7. In 1968 and 1970 the race was held at Mont-Tremblant. It moved to its present home in 1978. The Canadian Grand Prix was not held in 1975, 1987 or 2009.

McLaren is the leading constructor at the Canadian Grand Prix with 13 victories, to Ferrari’s 11 and Williams’ seven. Nine of McLaren’s total came at this circuit, including a hat-trick of victories in the past three years.

Michael Schumacher is the leading driver at this race by some distance, with seven victories. Lewis Hamilton is the only multiple winner in this year’s field. He has three victories here (2007, 2010, 2012). Other winners racing this year are Kimi Räikkönen (2005), Fernando Alonso (2006) and Jenson Button (2011).

Of the seven braking points at the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve, four have loads in excess of 5G, the harshest of which is the approach to the hairpin, at which cars will brake from 300kph down to a first-gear 60kph for the tight turn.

The Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve offers a rare opportunity to compare various elite series. Champ Car made its final appearance here in 2006 and Sébastien Bourdais took pole position with a time of 1:20.005. When F1 visited in the same summer, Fernando Alonso had pole with 1:14.942 (though went quicker in Q2). The 2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series race had Alex Tagliani on pole with a time of 1:40.865, in contrast to Sebastian Vettel’s 2012 F1 pole time of 1:13.784.

Unlike the previous grand prix, held on the streets of Monaco, the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve does not confer any particular advantage on pole position. Since 2000, the race has only been won from pole on four occasions. It has also been won from second on the grid four times in this period.

On his way to victory in 2011, Jenson Button occupied last place as late as lap 40. That notwithstanding, the race doesn’t particularly favour a charge through the field: it has never been won by anyone starting outside the top ten, and then only once from the fifth row, when Jacques Laffite won from tenth position for Ligier in 1981.

Originally named the Île Notre-Dame Circuit, it was renamed in honour of Gilles Villeneuve after his death. In 1978 Villeneuve won the inaugural grand prix held on the island. Of the current F1 calender, the other circuit named in honour of a former driver is the Autódromo José Carlos Pace, home of the Brazilian Grand Prix. Like Villeneuve, Pace was a grand prix winner and local hero at the circuit now bearing his name.

Villeneuve’s win was the first of his six grand prix victories. Four other drivers have taken their debut win at this circuit: Thierry Boutsen (1989), Jean Alesi (1995), Lewis Hamilton (2007) and Robert Kubica (2008).

Weather Forecast:http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6077243
Source:RaceDepartment

Last edited by Fernando on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Canadian GP Thread - Sponsored by Groundhog Protection Unit 2.0  - Page 2 Empty Re: Canadian GP Thread - Sponsored by Groundhog Protection Unit 2.0

Post by Bull Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:15 am

Im not saying he is rubbish, dont get me wrong he is a good driver but people make him out to look like he is amazing

Bull

Back to top Go down

Canadian GP Thread - Sponsored by Groundhog Protection Unit 2.0  - Page 2 Empty Re: Canadian GP Thread - Sponsored by Groundhog Protection Unit 2.0

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:36 am

I don't really see who is making him out to be amazing though. In fact when Hamilton burst on the scene and when Di Resta burst on the scene there is no comparison between the hype. And bear in mind Hamilton had the luxury of driving one of the best cars on the grid.

I can see why people don't rate Di Resta - it is because of his unspectacular driving style. He is not a Senna-esque or Hamilton-type driver of going for banshee overtakes at the risk of crashing out if they don't make the moves stick, That style of driving will win more fans. He is more methodical - I'd say more in the Alain Prost mould where he drives conservatively to try to maximise his options. Unspectacular but still gets the job done. That is my take on it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:57 am

i never said though i liked him or not and i prefer him to Hamilton lol

no i am not a Mclaren fan if you think that haha.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:01 am

No not saying you are. I was using Hamilton as an example of real hype. We got that in bucket loads when he first arrived in F1 on a totally different scale to Di Resta yet people claim Di Resta is being 'bummed up'. Now I watch Sky coverage and have never heard any bumming up just truthful comments that he is a good, solid driver. No comments that he is bound for a world championship or anything so how is tyhat 'bumming up'. And I'd hazard a guess that even the BBC haven't been making claims like that either.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:24 am

Bottas for the win!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:27 am

6 fingered tractor boy wrote:Bottas for the win!

Its better for him to win than Ham or Vettel lol

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:58 am

Bull wrote:Considering the Mclaren one is due to them having a rubbish car?

Lol, the McLaren isn't a contender, but neither is the FI. They're roughly equal.

I'm not sure where all this talk came from tbh. All I saw of Di Resta on the beebs coverage yesterday is his interview.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:06 pm

As for this race, I struggle to see anything more than a Williams which isn't quick in the dry, and a couple of Mercedes that are permanantly in tyre saving mode providing a few bodyguards for Vettel to get out of the clutches of Webber and Alonso. Hard to see past a Vettel win unless Mercedes have a miracle cure from their testing Wink.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Jun 2013, 1:06 pm

GSC wrote:As for this race, I struggle to see anything more than a Williams which isn't quick in the dry, and a couple of Mercedes that are permanantly in tyre saving mode providing a few bodyguards for Vettel to get out of the clutches of Webber and Alonso. Hard to see past a Vettel win unless Mercedes have a miracle cure from their testing Wink.

Unfortunately, couldn't agree more. If its dry, Vettel strolls. Think there could be some action first corner in the pack and a few moves down the DRS back straight early on and getting rid of bottas. While Vettel escapes, we will have the boring mid section of the race and then a big ending for the rest of the podium places

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:22 pm

Alonso pretty much has to take Webber early. Bottas shouldn't be much of an obstacle, and the Mercedes likely wont be able to fight too hard after a few laps.

Everyone starting on fresh tyres will be interesting. Imagine Vettel will start on the option, but Webber/Alonso/Raikonnen could all opt for primes.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 09 Jun 2013, 4:43 pm

#Bottasforthewin
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 09 Jun 2013, 4:52 pm

#BeLuckyToFinishTop8

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:11 pm

Yawn fest.

And people do not want Pirelli to spice it up.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:37 pm

Vettel just in a league of his own, and all the 'poor Ferarri' stuff from last year is in the bin too.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:41 pm

Not really sure it was a "thrilling" race Mr Coulthard, weren't terrible, just very average.

Good drive by Di Resta actually today, commence the "bumming"
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:08 pm

Vettel in a different league today. Basically all the predictions were spot on. A few good battles and Massa was entertaining but the main point is Vettel strolling and looking like a four time world champion. Oh dear.

McLaren should focus on 2014. Silverstone will see Mercedes struggle with the high loading, fast corners. Lotus qualifying means Kimi has no chance of WDC in my opinion. Two horse race for title, fully expect Vettel to consistently keep bagging points for no.4.

Last edited by John on Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:15 pm

Good race, Vettel as said above, miles ahead of anyone. Lewis did well to hang onto 2nd for so long, but a good 3rd place. Well done to Alonso also, he was awesome today as was Massa.

Anyone else think Sutil appeared to stay in the way a bit too long - confirmed by the penatly. Odd considering the interview yesterday with him saying saying he'd moved on from the Lewis/Court case situation. He needs to grow up and move on imo.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:35 pm

I don't see the point in the Sutil penalty there was much worse going on in the race plus all he did was save Hamilton a extra lap with DRS over Alonso plus the Mercedes didn't really seem that close to him until on the straight he got close under braking but then Sutil seemed to get a gap again.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:40 pm

Yea very harsh penalty, i really doubt Sutil would risk losing points just to hold Hamilton up for a few corners too many.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:09 pm

Thats what it looked like to me.. well not holding him up... rather not getting out of the way.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:48 am

If Vettel goes on to win a fourth consecutive title, he still will not earn the respect of his rivals and, more importantly, from the fans. His reputation in F1 has taken a significant hit in the last 12 months, did you hear the booing of Vettel in Canada, backs up this point. He wants to become a 'great' but in my opinion this will not be achieved in the eyes of the F1 paddock and it's die hard fans until he survives what I am calling 'Judgement Season'. This term refers to 2014. It also refers to the time when Vettel is forced to compete on a equal footing with a driver worthy of him and who will be able to lay out in front of us, how good or great Vettel really is. I'm talking about the time the embarrasing Mark Webber finally retires and Kimi Raikkonen steps into the Red Bull. Once again it's 7-0 to Vettel in race head to head with Webber this seasonand quite frankly it's difficult to watch people drool over Vettel's record when compared to the ability of his teammate.

Judgement day is coming for Vettel in 2014. If he can step outside his comfort zone and beat Kimi, if, as expected, he joins Red Bull, then mine and many others people opinion of him may change. Until that day happens, Vettel will continue to dominate at Red Bull in the fastest machinery when tyre degradation is low, as shown yesterday. Number 4 is on it's way, however, joining the list of 'greatest of all time' is certainly not, regardless of his record.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:03 am

Same excuses year after year. 4 WC in a row put him well up the list at the tender age of 25.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:13 am

His record is phenomenal, no denying that fact. All I'm saying is that 'Judgement Season' is coming when Webber is finally put to bed and then we will know for sure, how 'great' Vettel is. If he comes through that season on top in his inter-team battle, then for sure my opinion of his will change. I just can't accept the fact, this guy could do this to Alonso or Hamilton like what he does to the embarrasing Mark Webber. Whoever thinks Mark Webber is doing a good job needs to follow another sport, irrespective of team favouritism or whatever other excuses are thrown his way.

I would also like to say R.I.P to the marshal who lost their life yesterday at the race.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:22 am

Im actually starting to warm to Sebastien You don't become a 3x WDC for no reason it's like saying Schumacher is a terrible driver for having a dominant car and a teammate who won't challenge.

In sad news a Marshall has been killed after stumbling under the Caterpillar truck whilst recovering Esteban Gutierrez's car.

rose R.I.P

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:27 am

Who has Alonso taken on in the same car? A rookie Hamilton?

Hamilton might have had stronger competition in Button and Rosberg, but you could also argue its hurt him in the WC hunt. Vettel and Alonso are both clear #1s and they're the two consistently in the title hunt.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:27 am

Unless I'm severely underating the talents of Fisichella, Piquet Jr and post crash Massa
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:34 am

Anyone else thinking this is a poor season so far. It's clearly a two horse race already and with high loading, fast corners coming at Silverstone, will only see Mercedes drop back. Kimi's qualifying single handedly means he's not a contender for the WDC either. Webber is continually AWOL. Another duel between Vettel & Alonso to come but for me this season is lacking some spark.

Red Bull only get stronger as the season goes on......

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:41 am

It's because people want no tyre wear so people can go flat out and realistically the RB is faster then everyone else so unless go back to 3-4 stops it's going to be a long season for Vettel haters

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Mon 10 Jun 2013, 12:08 pm

Gerry SA wrote:Those of you claiming BBC don't bum Di Resta are deluded.

They're at it all the time.

Di Resta is an average driver. Come Brazil Sutil will beat in the standings, just like he did in 2011.

Nobodies saying he is the next Schuacher but he's had a very good start to the season, he's so far ahead of Sutil already i doubt it. Most rookies get a pass on their first season but it appears not the same with PDR. They were even on pace all season, now PDR has more races under his belt he seems the better driver, certainly over one lap and makes less mistakes.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 10 Jun 2013, 12:51 pm

Well, that certainly wasn't a classic. Had its moments though, with some great duels involving Massa, Webber, Raikkonen and most notably Hamilton and Alonso.

As for Sutil, I don't think he was holding Hamilton up that badly. Alonso was catching him at such a rate, I think 2nd place would have been his, regardless. Lewis also reported his DRS wasn't working towards the end of the race.

Drive of the day, for me, was Di Resta. Had a lousy qualifying but made his tyres last an incredible 57 laps so he only had to 1-stop, earning another handy points finish and making up more places than anyone else. Disappointing race for Sutil, who was looking good for a top 6 finish at one point, but spun and was immediately passed by several cars.

Another good drive from Alonso, biding his time when he had to and charging when he could. Given how dominant Vettel was, I think 2nd was the best he could have hoped for, even starting higher up the grid. Massa had a fantastic first half of the race, charging up the field, but again seemed to stall towards the end...would have expected better than 8th.

Good result for Mercedes, getting both cars in the top 5. Actually thought they were being conservative up to the first pit stop, trying to look after their tyres as they did in Monaco, given the way Vettel opened up his lead. Forgot how good Vettel is at controlling races from the front. Lewis showed the Mercedes is up there with the best of the rest (Ferrari, Lotus etc.) and was surprised how badly Rosberg faded...still his 5th place wasn't too shabby.

Weekend to forget for Lotus - awful qualifying and never looked on the pace during the race. Raikkonen again seemed to be the victim of poor tyre strategy. Lets hope this was just a blip.

If Lotus had a lousy weekend McLaren's was even worse, for much the same reasons. Something is badly wrong, both behind the scenes in terms of car development, as well as at the track in terms of race strategy. I can't believe they were telling Button to drive to set lap times! Given the McLaren isn't especially hard on its tyres and Button tends to be able to make his last anyway, why the hell didn't they just let him drive as fast as he could? Right now it seems they're shooting themselves in both feet, hands and head!

Last but not least, well done to Vergne, getting 6th place for Toro Rosso.

And finally, my condolences to the family and friends of the marshal who was killed when the crane recovering Gutierrez's car ran over him.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Jun 2013, 6:08 pm

BBC Formula 1 co-commentator David Coulthard believes a compelling Montreal Grand Prix has reignited the season.

"I felt genuinely stirred by the fact it looked racy. You could see people physically on the limit," he writes in his BBC Sport column. "We know the difference between seeing people cruising out of a corner and working it out of a corner. We saw drivers pushing, exploiting their performance; we saw aggressive wheel-to-wheel racing. Just like Formula 1 should be."

Is this guy stupid or what?Yeah, we saw racing, why do you think. The teams and drivers were on a smooth racing track with no real high-loading, fast, long corners and the temperatures were pretty average. They also had all their sets of dry tyres basically available after the previous wet weather. Therefore, of course they were able to push to the limit and the natural characteristics of the track, allow for good racing. Will this happen at Silverstone, at a fast track with high loading and numerous long corners.....I don't think so. We will be back to conservation of tyres, I'm pretty confident about that. The Mercedes' rears will be crying all weekend, I fear. Montreal is a stop-start track, whereas Silverstone is a flowing relentless test of a modern day F1 car and it's tyres.

He says re-ignited the season??????? Not for me in a million years. The title is barely a two-horse race with Vettel basically strolling away with it again. I guess it reignited his love for F1 because Vettel in a Red Bull won and Di Resta had such a good end result.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 10 Jun 2013, 8:11 pm

monty junior wrote:

Di Resta is an average driver. Come Brazil Sutil will beat in the standings, just like he did in 2011.

Nobodies saying he is the next Schuacher but he's had a very good start to the season, he's so far ahead of Sutil already i doubt it. Most rookies get a pass on their first season but it appears not the same with PDR. They were even on pace all season, now PDR has more races under his belt he seems the better driver, certainly over one lap and makes less mistakes.
Get off your high horse

Sutil get an undeserved penalty and Maldonado spun him during the race as well.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:10 pm

Sebastian Vettel's domination of the Canadian Grand Prix was all about the circuit layout.

The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is fundamentally a traction track. There is only one quickish corner and the lateral forces are low. To be quick, a car needs good traction coming off the corners and for the tyres not to grain - where the surface starts to tear.

All that plays to the strengths of the Red Bull and minimises its weaknesses - there are none of the high cornering forces that caused them such trouble in Spain, one of only two places so far this season where Vettel has not been on the podium.

As with Monaco, Canada is a unique track with unique demands. So, impressive as Vettel's win was, it does not necessarily mean he is going to carry on like that for the rest of the season.

Having said that, there is no denying that the Red Bull is a good car and Vettel's early laps in the race were like so many of his victories have been - blistering pace to take him out of the DRS range. The difference this time was that he kept pushing afterwards as well, rather than just managing the gap.

It was interesting that Vettel's team-mate Mark Webber had a fairly major part of his front wing knocked off but continued to be competitive, even setting the fastest lap of the race. That is an indication of the lack of high-lateral-force corners in Canada. Had there been, Webber would have killed the front tyres with that damage.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Tue 11 Jun 2013, 1:53 pm

Gerry SA wrote:
monty junior wrote:

Get off your high horse

Sutil get an undeserved penalty and Maldonado spun him during the race as well.

What high horse? Sutil was behind Di Resta anyway at the time of the penalty and Maldonado did not spin him, rather hit him in the back. Did you watch the race or imagine it..

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 11 Jun 2013, 2:56 pm

Fernando wrote:Sebastian Vettel's domination of the Canadian Grand Prix was all about the circuit layout.

The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is fundamentally a traction track. There is only one quickish corner and the lateral forces are low. To be quick, a car needs good traction coming off the corners and for the tyres not to grain - where the surface starts to tear.

All that plays to the strengths of the Red Bull and minimises its weaknesses - there are none of the high cornering forces that caused them such trouble in Spain, one of only two places so far this season where Vettel has not been on the podium.

As with Monaco, Canada is a unique track with unique demands. So, impressive as Vettel's win was, it does not necessarily mean he is going to carry on like that for the rest of the season.

Having said that, there is no denying that the Red Bull is a good car and Vettel's early laps in the race were like so many of his victories have been - blistering pace to take him out of the DRS range. The difference this time was that he kept pushing afterwards as well, rather than just managing the gap.

It was interesting that Vettel's team-mate Mark Webber had a fairly major part of his front wing knocked off but continued to be competitive, even setting the fastest lap of the race. That is an indication of the lack of high-lateral-force corners in Canada. Had there been, Webber would have killed the front tyres with that damage.
Good points.

The tyre problem is still there; I'd like a competitive season but not by effectively making it a handicap event.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 11 Jun 2013, 4:19 pm

Fernando wrote:Sebastian Vettel's domination of the Canadian Grand Prix was all about the circuit layout.

Some nice analysis there. Hope you're right about Vettel not necessarily continuing to dominate, considering we've still got more than half the season to go.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 11 Jun 2013, 4:22 pm

It's not mine it's what Gary Anderson put in his BBC column he makes sense 99% of the time

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Tue 11 Jun 2013, 5:36 pm

Fernando wrote:It's not mine it's what Gary Anderson put in his BBC column he makes sense 99% of the time

He's a Ballymena man hi! That's why he makes sense hi!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Jun 2013, 5:42 pm

Yeah, but the Red Bull's evolution and understanding through Newey continually improve throughout a season, therefore hoping that they would not have improved their running on high loading tracks with fast corners is hard to see. The tyres are more durable, well the one's Pirelli have tested, therefore I can only see Vettel winning the title. Mercedes will not understand the tyre issues there having, it's inherent in the design of their car which is unfortunate. Depending on the tribunal result, Mercedes focus will probably be elsewhere, especially if it's a Constructors ban and the financial loss of millions going into next season occurs. Lotus' are probably showcasing why they are not a top team with a ruthless streak and their clear financial limit in comparison to Red Bull/Ferrari. They can't keep up with the development race and losing James Allison was a key blow. Their qualifying is also woeful and has, in my opinion, already cost Kimi any chance of the world title. Our hopes are basically resting with Ferrari but even they are unpredictable.

It's a clear Vettel/Alonso showdown already and I can really only see title Number 4 for Vettel. I'm withholding any judgement on Vettel's achievements and his standing in F1 history until Kimi is sitting in that Red Bull next season. That's my opinion and I will stick with it, people can label him a great after this season but I certainly wont. Once again 7-0 head to head against Webber says everything. I'm fearing the worst for the remainder of this season and probably already looking forward to 2014 and a Hamilton title run.

Vet tel has also just extended his Red Bull contract.....what a surprise. Remain where life is easy.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 13 Jun 2013, 8:41 am

Drive of the race had to be Paul Di Resta - from 17th to 7th. If that had been a driver from a top team we'd be enthusing about it but Di Resta was in a Force India. Hmmm gave Gerry's hero Sutil a nine place start on the grid and still beat him comfortably. Sutil to beat Di Resta - oh please you must be having a giraffe.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 13 Jun 2013, 4:07 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Drive of the race had to be Paul Di Resta - from 17th to 7th. If that had been a driver from a top team we'd be enthusing about it but Di Resta was in a Force India. Hmmm gave Gerry's hero Sutil a nine place start on the grid and still beat him comfortably. Sutil to beat Di Resta - oh please you must be having a giraffe.

You should be slapped senseless for that comment

Sutil span alongside Bottas/got hit by Maldonado and had a drive through and finished 6 seconds behind Di Resta

it's a 10-15 second pitlane 

You do the maths

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 13 Jun 2013, 4:07 pm

Pirelli have announced their rubber will remain unchanged after the teams failed to unanimously agree to introduce the prototype tyre tested in Canada.

Running of the development rubber was limited due to wet conditions during practice in Montreal and instead Pirelli will now change the tyre production process in an effort to prevent the delaminations witnessed in the first part of the season.

"The tyre construction will remain unchanged, contrary to Pirelli's initial plans," the Italian manufacturer announced in a statement.

"This decision is due to the fact that the new tyres, which were brought to the Friday free practice sessions in Canada, could not be tested sufficiently due to rain - and that the teams failed to agree unanimously about introducing the changes.

"Instead a change in the tyre production process should now ensure that the delamination issue has been addressed.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 13 Jun 2013, 4:11 pm

Good. Devalues the whole championship otherwise
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 13 Jun 2013, 5:04 pm

Fernando wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:Drive of the race had to be Paul Di Resta - from 17th to 7th. If that had been a driver from a top team we'd be enthusing about it but Di Resta was in a Force India. Hmmm gave Gerry's hero Sutil a nine place start on the grid and still beat him comfortably. Sutil to beat Di Resta - oh please you must be having a giraffe.

Sutil span alongside Bottas/got hit by Maldonado and had a drive through and finished 6 seconds behind Di Resta

You do the maths
And can you do logical thinking please? Di Resta started streets behind Sutil on the grid (same team) and yet still beat him. Gerry should stop indulging in what he professes he hates ie 'bumming' as it would seem he is either not giving Di Resta enough credit or is guilty of 'bumming' Sutil? Which is it to be?

Obviously to get from 17th to 7th in a race you will get a modicum of luck along the way even if you are Alonso or Vettel but Di Resta did the feat in a Force India not a Ferrari or a Red Bull.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 13 Jun 2013, 5:22 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Fernando wrote:

You do the maths

And can you do logical thinking please? Di Resta started streets behind Sutil on the grid (same team) and yet still beat him. Gerry should stop indulging in what he professes he hates ie 'bumming' as it would seem he is either not giving Di Resta enough credit or is guilty of 'bumming' Sutil? Which is it to be?

Obviously to get from 17th to 7th in a race you will get a modicum of luck along the way even if you are Alonso or Vettel but Di Resta did the feat in a Force India not a Ferrari or a Red Bull.

He beat him due to a penalty it's not really something to shout about. Sutil dropped to P20 on Lap 10 due to his incidents and Di Resta was P14 at that point and Sutil pitted again for 21 seconds on lap 37 and for 15 seconds for his drive through (facts from the f1 site)

So he's gone through the pits 2 extra times for a combination of 36 seconds and Di Resta stopped for 21 seconds aswell so that's 15 seconds he lost so if he avoided the penalty which was extremely harsh he would of finished 9 seconds ahead of Di Resta yet he finished 6 seconds behind him.

There's your logical thinking Craig OK

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 13 Jun 2013, 5:31 pm

And please explain what happened for Di Resta to even be in a position to benefit. Come on Fernando you know, and I know, that drivers who get from 17th to 7th need a modicum of luck and if Alonso, Vettel or Hamilton etc had done it the praise would have been gushing everywhere. The difference is Di Resta did it in an average car. Besides form firmly suggests Di Resta has Sutil's number anyway. What is the head-to-head record between them this year again?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 13 Jun 2013, 6:24 pm

Sutil, until Australia, had been outside F1 for 15 months. 

After 7 races, the mediocre Di Resta leads him 34 to 17. 

Sutil has been unlucky in 4 races so far. 

Di Resta's luck will run out soon. 

Sutil will beat Di Resta as he's a far superior driver.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 13 Jun 2013, 6:49 pm

So what? Raikonen had been out of F1 for much longer and he came back and made an immediate impact. There you go again 'bumming' Sutil. As Force India team-mates in 2011 (bearing in mind Di Resta was a rookie) and this season then Di Resta leads Sutil having scored 61 points in that time compared to 59 of Sutil. I really have no idea where you dream that Sutil will end up above Di Resta but am curious to how a 'mediocre' Di Resta can haul a Force India from 17th to 7th, finish 4th in a Grand Prix surpassing what Sutil has achieved at Force India in a longer career at the team. Either Di Resta is better than mediocre or you are guilty of 'bumming' Sutil. Take your pick.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Jun 2013, 8:37 pm

I'm not taking sides but I do sometimes think people overrate a drive, especially when a top 6 car is out of position after another shocking qualifying performance. Also, FI were in a situation where they had to gamble with going long. The track is smooth, no high loading corners, therefore it was possible to go 50 odd laps and FI lucked out on the strategy. Yeah, it was a good drive but anyone could of done that drive in that car, while everyone around him were being cautious with tyre strategy. Look, Di Resta is having a good race season, however his qualifying is poor. He should be leading the inter-team battle regardless of Sutil`s year off. Do Resta had a full winter test programme, something no other driver had, while FI messed around with Bianchi. Sutil is doing a good job, been unlucky to a point but currently I would give it 60-40 in Paul`s favour. By the end of the year, I expect it to be pretty close and that's the most important factor here because if Paul does not beat Sutil by a large margin, then more doors will be closing than opening in terms of progressing his career.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 13 Jun 2013, 8:47 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:So what? Raikonen had been out of F1 for much longer and he came back and made an immediate impact. There you go again 'bumming' Sutil. As Force India team-mates in 2011 (bearing in mind Di Resta was a rookie) and this season then Di Resta leads Sutil having scored 61 points in that time compared to 59 of Sutil. I really have no idea where you dream that Sutil will end up above Di Resta but am curious to how a 'mediocre' Di Resta can haul a Force India from 17th to 7th, finish 4th in a Grand Prix surpassing what Sutil has achieved at Force India in a longer career at the team. Either Di Resta is better than mediocre or you are guilty of 'bumming' Sutil. Take your pick.
Is this the same Kimi who was a WDC and 18 time race winner prior to his return to F1?

You're clearly an moron. 

Nico Hulkenburg also beat Di Resta after a year out as a Test driver. 

Di Resta is average. 

After Sutil beats him in 2013, he'll be looking for a job in a different racing category.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next