The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would be your dream Wimbledon Final?

+12
Silver
summerblues
socal1976
The Special Juan
CAS
HM Murdock
Henman Bill
Danny_1982
_homogenised_
Gerry SA
JuliusHMarx
User 774433
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What would be your dream Wimbledon Final? Empty What would be your dream Wimbledon Final?

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:18 pm

Bonjour tous mes amis,
Hope you've all been keeping well thumbsup

With the French Open final sealed as Nadal vs Ferrer, I've been hearing there have been widespread celebrations all across the UK and France. Apparently the French in particular were really disappointed that Jo limped out, but when they realised they would get to see Nadal vs Ferrer in the final they were so excited they didn't mind anymore.
That's what I'm hearing anyway. Whistle

Anyway on a more serious note, and back to the title, what would be your dream Wimbledon Final? The only caveat is that it can't include your favourite player, or we would just make picks to suit that.
Murray hopefully should be back from injury, Federer I think is more comfortable on grass- so it should be an exciting event.

For me, my preferential non-Nadal final would be Federer vs Berdych.
The H2H lies 11-6 in Fed's favour I believe, but Berdych has won their two previous meetings, including USO and Dubai. He has also won their last 2 slam meetings. Both players I think are fantastic to watch, and Berdych gets under Federer's skin a bit- so that would be interesting.

What would be your pick?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

What would be your dream Wimbledon Final? Empty Re: What would be your dream Wimbledon Final?

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:25 pm

Connors vs Federer, of course Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

What would be your dream Wimbledon Final? Empty Re: What would be your dream Wimbledon Final?

Post by Gerry SA Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:27 pm

I've got three preferences

Nadal vs Murray
Murray vs Djokovic
Djokovic vs Nadal

I'm a huge Federer fan, but he's slipped a bit in recent times and IMO would lose to the 3 above names at Wimbledon this year.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by _homogenised_ Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:28 pm

Tsonga and Raonic or any 2 good attacking players like those 2. Please please no Nadal, Djokovic or murray.

_homogenised_

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:30 pm

Murray v Bogdanovic.

Or, from a less biased perspective, as its the big clash we've not seen since 2011... Murray v Nadal.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:31 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Connors vs Federer, of course Smile

Wnat am I saying?! Connors vs Henman, of course. C'mon Tim!!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:33 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

Firstly, if you read the article I did say you shouldn't be allowed to include your favourite players. Smile

Secondly, this is Wimbledon 2013 I'm talking about, not some pensioners Champion Tour match warning

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:35 pm

My thought was Federer vs Nadal, boring but honest, until I saw your caveat. In that case I would choose 2 players who have never won a slam, and perhaps had never been in a final.

Someone from the list of players like Warwinka, Gasquet, Gulbis etc.

I'll say Nishikori v Dolgopolov or Dimitrov v Fognini.

I'll go Dolgopolov vs Fognini. Final answer.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:37 pm

Ana Ivanovic v Maria Kirilenko

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:38 pm

Rafter vs Agassi
Agassi vs Djokovic
Nadal vs Borg
McEnroe vs Sampras

Edited after realising it was for 2013! oops

Del Potro vs Tsonga
Gasquet vs Wawrinka
Nadal vs Murray
Del Potro vs Nadal

Last edited by CAS on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:39 pm

Red wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

Firstly, if you read the article I did say you shouldn't be allowed to include your favourite players. Smile

Secondly, this is Wimbledon 2013 I'm talking about, not some pensioners Champion Tour match warning

Spoilsport

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:40 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Ana Ivanovic v Maria Kirilenko

Seconded.

Mmmmm....

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:52 pm

Just read the full article and realised I can't include Murray.

In which case I'll go for Federer v Djokovic.

I lije watching both and they are really aggressive when they play each other .... And on grass I think Roger would have a shout.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:55 pm

Federer-Djokovic these days I think Djokovic will have the edge... I watched Fed against Tsonga and his level was not as high as I expected.

The reason I chose Federer- Berdych, is because I think in a slam these days it's a genuine 5050.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 07 Jun 2013, 10:01 pm

Would you give Djokovic the edge over Federer even on grass?

At the moment I would go with

clay Djokovic 75/Federer 25
slow outdoor hard Djokovic 60/Federer 40
fast indoor Djokovic 50/ Federer 50
Wimbledon Djokovic 50/Federer 50

What do you think?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 07 Jun 2013, 10:04 pm

Probably Tsonga v someone. I love watching Jo on grass when he plays well as he's old school with his serve and volley which is nice to see. I don't think I could handle another baseline slugfest on grass between Nadal and Djokovic so I'll plump for Tsonga v Federer; two super grass court players.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 10:05 pm

It's tough to call HB.

I think for the past few months, Federer has actually been severely restricted by back injury. I've watched him play quite a bit, and I think on some days he does look hindered by that.

If he is a fully fit, I would still put Djokovic as favourite on any surface, just because I think Djokovic is a touch quicker these days.
I'd say 55-45 Djokovic at Wimbledon.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 10:06 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Probably Tsonga v someone. I love watching Jo on grass when he plays well as he's old school with his serve and volley which is nice to see. I don't think I could handle another baseline slugfest on grass between Nadal and Djokovic so I'll plump for Tsonga v Federer; two super grass court players.
Juan, did you watch the SF today? It's was a slugfest at all, quite different from AO 2012 etc.
Nadal hit 61 winners, that must be some sort of record for him Whistle Djokovic hit 54 too, not shoddy at all.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 07 Jun 2013, 10:12 pm

Red wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:Probably Tsonga v someone. I love watching Jo on grass when he plays well as he's old school with his serve and volley which is nice to see. I don't think I could handle another baseline slugfest on grass between Nadal and Djokovic so I'll plump for Tsonga v Federer; two super grass court players.
Juan, did you watch the SF today? It's was a slugfest at all, quite different from AO 2012 etc.
Nadal hit 61 winners, that must be some sort of record for him Whistle Djokovic hit 54 too, not shoddy at all.

I did. It's not quite Stan's 92 though, is it? Very Happy They are normally baseline dominated matches which I don't mind on the other two surfaces but I like to see a bit of variety on grass.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 10:15 pm

Henman Bill wrote:

I'll go Dolgopolov vs Fognini. Final answer.
That would be fun I admit.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 10:16 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:Ana Ivanovic v Maria Kirilenko

Seconded.

Mmmmm....
Petra Uberalova vs Maria Kirilenko

What would be your dream Wimbledon Final? Petra210

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 10:18 pm

Ignoring the rules, the slam match I really want to see is Murray v Nadal.

Murray's game on paper matches up fairly well, not overly concerned by the loopy forehand and likes unloading on high balls which Rafa does give up.

But I've always thought Murray gave Rafa too much respect. He almost used to appear in awe of him. He's a bit nastier since Lendl came on board and I'd love to see the improved Murray - more aggressive on the forehand, a metre further up the court - face Rafa.

I think it would be a belter.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 07 Jun 2013, 10:19 pm

Oh the irony of having a name perilously close to "Uberlova"
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 10:22 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Ignoring the rules, the slam match I really want to see is Murray v Nadal.

Murray's game on paper matches up fairly well, not overly concerned by the loopy forehand and likes unloading on high balls which Rafa does give up.

But I've always thought Murray gave Rafa too much respect. He almost used to appear in awe of him. He's a bit nastier since Lendl came on board and I'd love to see the improved Murray - more aggressive on the forehand, a metre further up the court - face Rafa.

Have to agree on that, with the British crowd on Murray's side as well... what a hyped final that would be. As Murray has won a slam before, I think he'd have extra belief compared to normal.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 10:23 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Oh the irony of having a name perilously close to "Uberlova"
What a name.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:10 pm

Red wrote:It's tough to call HB.

I think for the past few months, Federer has actually been severely restricted by back injury. I've watched him play quite a bit, and I think on some days he does look hindered by that.

If he is a fully fit, I would still put Djokovic as favourite on any surface, just because I think Djokovic is a touch quicker these days.

Hurray Red is back!!! Finally my lobbying and a Nadal win over Djoko brings you back.

Djokovic and Federer for me. I just love watching that rivlarly and I have a feeling it would be a big challenge for Novak as the surface suits fed's game. I don't know if on grass Novak would win or not, I think it would be very close.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:28 pm

socal1976 wrote:
Red wrote:It's tough to call HB.

Hurray Red is back!!! Finally my lobbying and a Nadal win over Djoko brings you back.

Djokovic and Federer for me. I just love watching that rivlarly and I have a feeling it would be a big challenge for Novak as the surface suits fed's game. I don't know if on grass Novak would win or not, I think it would be very close.
Hi Socal Smile

It was the lobbying that did it Smile

Yes, Djokovic-Fed would be a great game, as long as Fed can get rid of his back problems.
Against Tsonga he was really struggling on serve.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:30 pm

Tut, socal, you're not allowed to pick your favourite player. Red seems to have overlooked that in your case. I got a right telling off!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:33 pm

Now that I think of it, my dream Wimbledon final would be me vs my mate Steve. He is useless, and I wouldn't mind the trophy, the prize money and my name in the record books.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:37 pm

Is it not a little too early for this article. Technically, RG is not finished yet.

But I like the idea of having to choose someone other than your favorite player.

I gave it some thought, and for me it would probably be Dimitrov vs Nole, or maybe Dimitrov vs Rafa. I enjoy the matches best when it is someone I like against someone I do not like so much, and these two fit the bill.

Now, I am cheating a bit, because I just effectively replaced Roger with Dimitrov in there. Also, not sure whether it is really fair to pick someone as unrealistic as Grisha. If I am forced to pick two players neither of whom I am a fan of, and who have a decent chance to get there, then I think it would be Nole vs Rafa again.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:38 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Tut, socal, you're not allowed to pick your favourite player. Red seems to have overlooked that in your case. I got a right telling off!
Good point.

Naughty Socal, pick again warning

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:39 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Now that I think of it, my dream Wimbledon final would be me vs my mate Steve. He is useless, and I wouldn't mind the trophy, the prize money and my name in the record books.
Yeah but you may support yourself*, and if you read the caveat that's not technically allowed.

*The exception being if you manage to play without supporting yourself.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:40 pm

summerblues wrote:Is it not a little too early for this article. Technically, RG is not finished yet.

But I like the idea of having to choose someone other than your favorite player.

I gave it some thought, and for me it would probably be Dimitrov vs Nole, or maybe Dimitrov vs Rafa. I enjoy the matches best when it is someone I like against someone I do not like so much, and these two fit the bill.

Now, I am cheating a bit, because I just effectively replaced Roger with Dimitrov in there. Also, not sure whether it is really fair to pick someone as unrealistic as Grisha. If I am forced to pick two players neither of whom I am a fan of, and who have a decent chance to get there, then I think it would be Nole vs Rafa again.
kl kl
I thought the quality of Nole and Rafa today was probably the best they have played, 61-54 winners in Nadal's favour.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:47 pm

Red wrote:I thought the quality of Nole and Rafa today was probably the best they have played, 61-54 winners in Nadal's favour.
I actually thought the match was somewhat patchy though obviously great drama in the end. I did like that they both played quite a bit more aggressively than usual. For the most part, this match was quite unlike their typical matches - and more entertaining (for me at least) even though not necessarily better quality.

I am puzzled why they played so much more aggressively - and they both did. Especially in Novak's case, I would have thought he would have preferred to play patient tennis and change to aggressive only if that did not work. But he came out blasting right from the first game. Rafa was also far more aggressive than usual, but I can kind of see why - he needed to change the patterns to get a different result.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:56 pm

Gasquet vs Haas would be my choice. Could be some quality shotmaking on display!

Ignoring the favourite player caveat, it'd be Federer vs Djokovic.

(Welcome back!)

Last edited by Silver on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:57 pm

I think the US Open stands as their best (slam) match, but this one was a good one, at least better than last year's final at the FO.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:57 pm

Silver wrote:Gasquet vs Haas would be my choice. Could be some quality shotmaking on display!

Ignoring the favourite player caveat, it'd be Federer vs Djokovic.
Who do you think would win Gasquet vs Haas? Smile

btw you have a PM from moii

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:58 pm

Henman Bill wrote:I think the US Open stands as their best (slam) match, but this one was a good one, at least better than last year's final at the FO.
In terms of defensive play- nothing beats the USO match in 2011.

In terms of attacking tennis, this was the best meeting so far.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 12:04 am

Red wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Tut, socal, you're not allowed to pick your favourite player. Red seems to have overlooked that in your case. I got a right telling off!
Good point.

Ok I will go for Gasquet (2nd favorite) against Jerzy Janowicz

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 12:06 am

socal1976 wrote:
Red wrote:
Good point.

Ok I will go for Gasquet (2nd favorite) against Jerzy Janowicz
They played in Rome I think, it was a really great match and Jerzy won in 3.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 12:08 am

Yep, bitter sweet for me, my second favorite player and my favorite young player battling it out.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 08 Jun 2013, 12:10 am

Danny_1982 wrote:Ignoring the rules, the slam match I really want to see is Murray v Nadal.

Murray is basically a poor mans Djokovic. Murray's ground strokes cause Nadal considerably less issues than Djokovic.

Murray's forehand, for all the claims of being vastly improved, is no way near the standard of Djokovic's, Nadal's or Federer's.

The only think in Murray's favour in a Wimbledon final with Nadal would be the crowd.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 12:11 am

Joao Sousa v Joao Souza (for comedy value)
Andy Murray v JWT

Nightmare

Gilles Simon v Anybody (unless Simon from Sunday turns up)

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 12:11 am

ryan86 wrote:Joao Sousa v Joao Souza (for comedy value)
Andy Murray v JWT

Nightmare

Gilles Simon v Anybody (unless Simon from Sunday turns up)
Simon vs Robredo Smile

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 12:12 am

Gerry SA wrote:

Murray is basically a poor mans Djokovic. Murray's ground strokes cause Nadal considerably less issues than Djokovic.

Murray's forehand, for all the claims of being vastly improved, is no way near the standard of Djokovic's, Nadal's or Federer's.

The only think in Murray's favour in a Wimbledon final with Nadal would be the crowd.
Despite all of that, did Murray not beat Djokovic in straight sets in their only match on grass so far??

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 08 Jun 2013, 12:19 am

Red wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

Despite all of that, did Murray not beat Djokovic in straight sets in their only match on grass so far??
What's Murray vs Djokovic got to do with a potential Nadal vs Murray Wimbledon final?

Unless I'm wrong Nadal's 3-0 vs Murray at Wimbledon ?

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 12:20 am

Gerry SA wrote:

Despite all of that, did Murray not beat Djokovic in straight sets in their only match on grass so far??[/quote]
What's Murray vs Djokovic got to do with a potential Nadal vs Murray Wimbledon final?

Unless I'm wrong Nadal's 3-0 vs Murray at Wimbledon ?[/quote]
Apologies I was responding to your 'Murray is basically a poor mans Djokovic' quote.
Against Nadal, I agree that Djokovic has a much better record.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 08 Jun 2013, 12:39 am

the out funnying contest is in full flow i see!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 08 Jun 2013, 12:45 am

LuvSports! wrote:the out funnying contest is in full flow i see!
Pick a final warning

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 08 Jun 2013, 12:46 am

ahh and now that contest is well and truly over.
Thanks a lot buzz killington.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next