The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prizefighter

+11
eddyfightfan
ArchBritishchris
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Scottrf
oxring
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
pacman79
Wright Hook
J.Benson II
azania
LivinginItaly
15 posters

Go down

Prizefighter Empty Prizefighter

Post by LivinginItaly Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 am

Managed to watch prizefighter yesterday. Was quite impressed by Mike Perez (hope I've spelt his name right). He seemed to be in a different league to the rest of the competition. What are your thoughts on him? How much potential do you think he has? What did you think of the latest instalment of the prizefighter extravaganza?

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Prizefighter Empty Re: Prizefighter

Post by azania Sun May 08, 2011 10:22 am

LivinginItaly wrote:Managed to watch prizefighter yesterday. Was quite impressed by Mike Perez (hope I've spelt his name right). He seemed to be in a different league to the rest of the competition. What are your thoughts on him? How much potential do you think he has? What did you think of the latest instalment of the prizefighter extravaganza?

I've read about him and other than a few you tube videos, this is the first time I've seen him live. He looks a decent prospect, but the level of opposition was laughable. He has very fast hands and seems quite accurate. He will eventually get a title shot (who doesn't nowadays). I'll reserve judgement on whether he will win one or be recognised as a very top contender.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Sun May 08, 2011 10:30 am

Agree that the level of competition was dreadful. Have not watched many of the other prizefighter shows, so I don't know how the standard compares this time, but it looked like it was the first time that some of them had ever stepped into a boxing ring.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun May 08, 2011 10:31 am

LivinginItaly wrote:Agree that the level of competition was dreadful. Have not watched many of the other prizefighter shows, so I don't know how the standard compares this time, but it looked like it was the first time that some of them had ever stepped into a boxing ring.

Yeah. Especially the guy from France.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 08, 2011 10:32 am

I hope your not dissing Mr Moobs from Russia Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sun May 08, 2011 10:35 am

I rate Perez as one of better HW prospects and I knew he would end up winning Prizefighter quite easily once I saw that some of the superior boxers (such as Johnson) had pulled out.

Despite the dud opposition, the manner in which he won the contest was still quite impressive.

If he continues to progress, he should get a title shot within the next few years. Perhaps he should consider fighting in a title eliminator next, against another top contender.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Wright Hook Sun May 08, 2011 10:36 am

He looks a good prospect from what I saw, impressed in all 3 fights and clearly the best fighter on show. Hopefully he'll have a few fights over here with some of our heavyweights so we can get a better look at him, somebody like Sexton or Harrison, maybe even throw him in with Rogan which would be a fairly big fight in Ireland.

Wright Hook

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun May 08, 2011 10:39 am

What the hell is a cuban doing in the boxing hot=bed of Ireland??? Shocked

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Sun May 08, 2011 10:41 am

From Russia with Moobs!

At least in his defence the legendary Mr Moobs was a late entry due to withdrawals.
Is there a future for the concept if that is the standard of talent that the competition draws?

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Wright Hook Sun May 08, 2011 10:45 am

azania wrote:What the hell is a cuban doing in the boxing hot=bed of Ireland??? Shocked

Exactly what I thought!

Funny thing is McGuigan said that Perez isn't even the best of the Cuban defectors that they have back in Ireland!

Wright Hook

Back to top Go down

Post by pacman79 Sun May 08, 2011 11:31 am

azania wrote:What the hell is a cuban doing in the boxing hot=bed of Ireland??? Shocked

He's fighting out of my home city, Cork lol
We also have two other former Cuban junior world champions - Luis Garcia and Alexei Acosta
Cork businessman Gary Hyde, brought all three boxers to Cork. He lives just up the road from me

pacman79

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun May 08, 2011 12:27 pm

Might actually work in his benefit a lot defect to Miami and the lifestyle and freedom gets to them and they lose their dedication.

Not sure the bright lights of Cork will have the same affect.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun May 08, 2011 12:39 pm

Well - I picked Perez or Johnson - and I was supporting Perez so I was happy with the night.

But really - the other opposition was there to demonstrate Perez' ability. Class above. The Frenchman was woeful.

There is an issue with Perez' height - he's only 6'. Now - whilst I will tune in to watch him fight again - he needs to work on slipping punches more rather than relying upon that swimming RH.
'
Shame about Johnson's failure to arrive. Johnson-Perez should be a decent fight.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun May 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Don't think much to him tbh. No accuracy, variety or subtlety.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun May 08, 2011 1:10 pm

He looked wild in his first fight. Bit better in his other 2 but the standard of opponent was no challenge to him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun May 08, 2011 2:01 pm

The thing about the cubans is that they are very skilled, they have putboxed about 300 opponents in the amateurs. He hits hard, is accurate and quick. My problem is that he is a bit Short and doesn't seem to have the style to get past a strong jab i.e, klitscho. If he bobs as bit more or slips the shots he could become a force. He's got a decent future as they HW division is looking strong but without any special fighters.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Sun May 08, 2011 2:24 pm

The prizefighter tournament usually consists of boxers who are just starting out or middle ranked pro's. In the Super Middleweight version it was a similar situation, the only star was an aged and back from retirement Robin Reid.

While, the quality of opposition overall last night wasn't great, a number of the fighters had some decent experience. Our own Sprott, Fields and Manswell have all been around the block. Its a feather in the cap for Perez, who does himself no harm in claiming the title. Its a shame Sprott couldn't pull a bit more out of the bag, was hoping for a good showing.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun May 08, 2011 7:22 pm

On what we seen last night I would like to see Perez v Chisora. That has the potential to be a good matchup both can be open and throw big punches. Would actually pick Perez he looks like he has better boxing skills than Del Boy.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun May 08, 2011 10:38 pm

just got back from london, went to watch prizefighter. have to say i was very impressed with fields, sprott, airich and especially perez (who won me $30).

think sprott was unlucky to get paired with fields who looked very strong all the way through to the final. sprott managed to land a few nice shots and nearly took fields head off in the second, giving him a lovely shiner for the rest of the competiton.

airich was a lot lively than i expected and looked like he might have have the best of tye until fields landed a left hook too the armpit of airich that looked like ribs were broken, airich still wincing and limping 15 mins later.

perez was another level though and looked like he hardly stepped out of first gear. can see him going very far. can see tye fields providing a stern challenge for most british heavyweights at the moment, but struggling at world level, but fail to see were perez falls short, he had excellent chin, reflexs, strengh and speed- as well as vicious intensions when he senses his man is hurt. look forwards to seeing how far he can go.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon May 09, 2011 9:29 am

i had a bet on perez to win and manny to win on points, not bad gambling weekend for me. i also had stoke united and celtiic to win yesterday (bookies gave me 4-1 on stoke!!!), won poker on friday and won a tenner on the lottery.

perez looked the stand out fighter in this, i was worrried about his lack of size for a heavy at only six foot but he took care of fields alright. could still stop him from reaching the highest level.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Benelio Mon May 09, 2011 12:16 pm

Perez seems to have leapt up to 26 on box rec for world ranked heavies since the Prizefighter win. I had a brief look before the contest and he was much lower down. Maybe 50-something? Can't remember exactly.

I don't think he's getting a major title shot for now, but might only be 2 or 3 fights away if he gets matched wisely.

Benelio

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon May 09, 2011 1:01 pm

Benelio wrote:Perez seems to have leapt up to 26 on box rec for world ranked heavies since the Prizefighter win. I had a brief look before the contest and he was much lower down. Maybe 50-something? Can't remember exactly.

I don't think he's getting a major title shot for now, but might only be 2 or 3 fights away if he gets matched wisely.

Prizefighter seems to be well recognised now Benelio and in my opinion the winners deserved to be pushed up the ladder a bit, they've shown the desire and commitment to win the tournament so it's good to see them get a bit of a push, Audley excluded. Not expecting huge things from Perez but he could go a bit if managed correct. Defintely some raw talent there.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon May 09, 2011 7:15 pm

i'd like to see tye fields match up against some british HW contenders, would be a good challenge to any of the HW's at the moment (ie tyson, chisora, dallas, price, towers etc)

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Wed May 11, 2011 9:38 pm

Three nice wins for Perez to add to his resume and all in one night. I liked the way he went about it and he is certainly one to watch.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down