The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Degale/Hennessey Event: My Experience

+7
Strongback
mobilemaster8
AlexHuckerby
ONETWOFOREVER
RichC101
Rowley
Valero's Conscience
11 posters

Go down

Degale/Hennessey Event: My Experience Empty Degale/Hennessey Event: My Experience

Post by Valero's Conscience Sun 09 Jun 2013, 1:44 pm

Not great!

Firstly the event was not well attended. There is no way there were 2,000 there, whatever Hennessey may say. It felt 1,500 at best.

They said many times Degale's fight would be at 9:30 and at 9:30 the MC got in the centre of the stage then a few minutes later got out and we all sat there like lemons for 30 minutes with no explanation for the delay. The last fight before eneded at 8:25 so was a long wake and didn't even play music for the interlude.

I think they may have delayed to get more people in the crowd so it didn't look empty as it was pretty sparse especially after Eubank's fight when many left.

You couldn't drink there unless you went downstairs in the bar area and no seats were reserved so many people were going to toilet, drinks etc and losing their spaces.

The doors opened at 5pm so me and a mate got there at 5:30. I went to buy a programme and they had sold out, they could of only sold 50 at best by then!

For a fairly large event there were some awful undercard fights.

Eubank Jr didn't impress at all and can't see what the fuss is about. The guy he fought hasn't won a fight in 4 years, no power and fought only 3 weeks prior to last night at LMW. If that is being matched tough then god knows what their aspirations for him are!

Hughie Fury looked ok but the guy he fought looked like he was dragged from one of the bars at Bluewater - old dirty shorty and a sweaty knee support and carrying about 5 stone of fat!

Tyson Fury appeared very friendly to everyone and full happy signing things and having photos all night.

Junior Witter was there but pretty much unnoticed by everyone.

The event was full of gypsies so there was a smell of B.O. in the air!

One more thing - the ring ladies were way overdressed!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Degale/Hennessey Event: My Experience Empty Re: Degale/Hennessey Event: My Experience

Post by Rowley Sun 09 Jun 2013, 1:52 pm

Sounds a top class evening!

To be honest watching it on TV you could tell it all looked a bit half arsed. You could see they had herded the crowd together to make it look better for the TV. On the plus side though Degale looked better than he has recently, still not convinced he has enough dig at the top level but he was moving better and slapping less with his backhand, ending was a mystery though.

The less said about the guy facing Hughie the better. I know he is a novice but that was pointless. Is of constant wonderment to me where they actually find guys like that.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Degale/Hennessey Event: My Experience Empty Re: Degale/Hennessey Event: My Experience

Post by RichC101 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 2:02 pm

I went to see Degale fight at the same venue last October when he fought Hadillah Mohoumadi.

I had a very similar experience, it was relatively full until Eubank Jr fought then the crowd thinned out. There was also quite a lot of trouble caused by what I assume was a similar Gypsy crowd to what you saw.

Tyson Fury was the best thing about the night when I was there. I don't rate him as a boxer, however he was friendly and provided amusing entertainment.

While the event that I went to was supposedly sold out the Glow Arena seemed about half full so around 1000-1200 people there and quite a poor atmosphere. It seems like a boxer of Degale's profile should be fighting in more high profile arenas than this to get more exposure. While he headlines these shows I can't help but feel he'd be better off fighting on an undercard of higher profile fights.

RichC101

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Sun 09 Jun 2013, 2:06 pm

Yeah it was no better run than many white collar events i've been to, which in some ways were better because you get 16-20 fights and no waiting inbetween.

I thought Degale did fine but yeah the stoppage looked odd. The guy was getting frustrated and I think he quit and his corner said they stopped it to save him some pride. Odd!?!

Agreed Rich re: atmosphere was pretty tame. I didn't see any trouble but there was a lot of security, maybe due to what happened when you went.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:21 pm

Degale put Hennesy on the spot in the after fight interview and the man looked really un easy in front of the camera. For a promoter he did not fill me with confidence he looked like a novice. Degale has to move on, he can't call out Froch who is selling out the O2, and real sports arenas while Degale is plying his trade in shopping centers.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by RichC101 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:24 pm

I didn't think Degale's opponent looked particularly hurt at any point other than the couple of low blows. The stoppage was a bit bizarre, but if the corner wanted to save him some pride then fair enough, I think if I was a professional boxer I'd want to go out on my shield rather than out on my stool.

Maybe they increased the security because of what happened at the last event then. When I was there the police had to be called in. People weren't allowed back in if they went for a cigarette (this was explained to them by the security staff there before the were let out) and they tried to force themselves back in attacking the security staff, a few people ended up in handcuffs during the show. One guy in particular was exclaiming that he was a gypsy and his family would kill the arresting officers, a disgrace to humanity some people. There were fights outside afterwards which the police had to break up also. Shameful really!

RichC101

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:41 pm

Sounds like an absolute shambles, I dind't even watch the fight live on Ch 5... Its sort of like, wake me up when Hennessy puts one of his fighters in with someone who isn't a half arse.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:57 pm

How on earth is hennesey even a promoter? And also, how the hell are those commentators allowed to even commentate? !?!?

Brutal finish by Eubank?! Haha!

Matched really tough?! Haha!

Best quote though was:

If any of the critics have doubts about the quality of Eubank, then this fight would have surely stopped them. Classy perfromance.

EXcuse me?!

Every show hennesey is on is a joke and after the past couple of channel 5 shambles, I for one wont be wathching.

You have Tyson Fury the worlds biggest clown and Poopie fighter for a long time being hyped and you have hennesey just talking utter garbage with the commentary team.

Really is cringe worthy. ..

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 09 Jun 2013, 4:06 pm

DeGale needs a few proper fights. He has developed seriously bad habits particularly in his defence. He is continually show boating with his shoulder roll and right hand down. He seems to relish bringing his right hand up from his waist to catch punches unfortunately many of which he doesn't catch. A quality fighter would walk through DeGales pitter patter punches and expose his open defence with big shots.

Eubank Jr struggled with a very awkward much taller opponent with the elusive Ingle style. I though Eubank did ok when he used good punch selection and speed to get the stoppage. He lacks power and looked very average at times but he found a way.

Hughie's opponent was bizarre, thats all I can say. At least he is fighting regularly.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:11 pm

I was at the one in October as well and this sounds like a re run of that in how it was run and the woeful undercard. Instead of Hughie Fury you had Dillian Whyte fighting the fattest bouncer they could see in the shopping centre, Eubank Jr is going no where fast and has to swing absolute hayemakers to put a dent in anyone, he carries very little power. Degale was good value in October though as he made what should have been a routine fight very competitive with his terrible tactics.

Nice Mexican place right by the entrance if anyone goes to a show there.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:44 pm

Went to a Fury fight in the Kings Hall and I swear I will never be back to a Hennessy promoted fight.

Every time he fights in Belfast a load of gypos run around the pubs in the city centre handing out free tickets on the Saturday because nobody has a clue there is even boxing on within a mile away. Got given a ticket by this fat oaf (not Mick) who would have put Mr T to shame he was wearing that much gold and went along for a laugh. It was the night Fury got put on his rear end by the pillow puncher, next thing all the rats started punching the lamps out of eachother!!! I was in bits laughing. They were supposedly from Antrim (were Fury tries to state hes from when he fights here) and no jokin, I would give one of you £100 if you could have translated what they were saying to eachother.

It would be some craic if Fury fought Klitschko, could you imagine the German's trying to figure out what these lot are supposed to be haha
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:20 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Went to a Fury fight in the Kings Hall and I swear I will never be back to a Hennessy promoted fight.

Every time he fights in Belfast a load of gypos run around the pubs in the city centre handing out free tickets on the Saturday because nobody has a clue there is even boxing on within a mile away. Got given a ticket by this fat oaf (not Mick) who would have put Mr T to shame he was wearing that much gold and went along for a laugh. It was the night Fury got put on his rear end by the pillow puncher, next thing all the rats started punching the lamps out of eachother!!! I was in bits laughing. They were supposedly from Antrim (were Fury tries to state hes from when he fights here) and no jokin, I would give one of you £100 if you could have translated what they were saying to eachother.

It would be some craic if Fury fought Klitschko, could you imagine the German's trying to figure out what these lot are supposed to be haha

The German's have a lot of experience when it comes to dealing with gypsies.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 10 Jun 2013, 7:54 am

RichC101 wrote:Maybe they increased the security because of what happened at the last event then. When I was there the police had to be called in. People weren't allowed back in if they went for a cigarette (this was explained to them by the security staff there before the were let out) and they tried to force themselves back in attacking the security staff, a few people ended up in handcuffs during the show. One guy in particular was exclaiming that he was a gypsy and his family would kill the arresting officers, a disgrace to humanity some people. There were fights outside afterwards which the police had to break up also. Shameful really!

This makes sense as the security were telling everyone who entered they couldn't come back once they left I.e for a smoke and then reiterated it about 3 times!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by RichC101 Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:34 am

Strongback wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Went to a Fury fight in the Kings Hall and I swear I will never be back to a Hennessy promoted fight.

Controversial stuff there! Not sure they would be able to deal with 'the gypsy problem' these days.

re: Valero - Seems that they learned from the last time then. I don't think that they did much to drive the point home before letting them out... When people realised they wouldn't get back in, after seeing the fights erupt, they just went and smoked in the toilets anyway and none of the security stopped that from happening.

RichC101

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:03 am

Sounds an awful shambles.

Only tuned in for the JDG fight which was pretty poor. Less impressed with JDG every time I see him. How the mighty have fallen, 2008 Olympic gold medallist, career progressing nicely then you lose to your big rival and now, 4-5 fights on, you're fighting in front of 1,500 drunk pikeys (and Valero) at a shopping centre in Essex.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:06 am

Strongback wrote:

Sounds like a waste of fire to be honest
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:12 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Sounds an awful shambles.

Only tuned in for the JDG fight which was pretty poor. Less impressed with JDG every time I see him. How the mighty have fallen, 2008 Olympic gold medallist, career progressing nicely then you lose to your big rival and now, 4-5 fights on, you're fighting in front of 1,500 drunk pikeys (and Valero) at a shopping centre in Essex.

There is a post fight interview on youtube with DeGale saying how he reckons he is ready for Kessler.....yet in the pre fight build up he slated Froch for beating an old shot Kessler. So he reckons Kessler has got better in the last few weeks?? He is a plank. Could you imagine Hennessy trying to lure Kessler into a shopping centre to fight DeGale for about £3000. haha

Plus he then tells Mick Hennessy to make a fight with Eubank Jr and no jokin, Hennessy actually looks like hes gonna bust into tears, his eyes have that sort of crystal look as if there is water in them. He's a joke haha. Worst promoter on TV by far. Its like a comedy show when you watch his cards.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:20 am

Sill a better undercard than this though Shocked

http://www.3news.co.nz/Dwarf-boxers-defend-position-on-undercard-for-Joseph-Parker-Vs-Francois-Botha-fight/tabid/415/articleID/300951/Default.aspx

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:25 am

Agreed Reeborn. I saw the interview and he looks shocked to say the least!

Hennessey's marquee fighters are all idiots and hard to like.

If I was Mick I would cash out this year with the following farewell fights:

Haye vs Fury

Degale vs Groves 2 (inlikely)

Degale vs Eubank Jr

In the interview Degale alleged there is bad blood between him and Eubank Jr which stems from Degale giving him a pasting in sparring which I can believe.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:45 am

Would rather see Eubank Jr in with Billy Joe Saunders, some decent bad blood there with plenty of Twitter bickering and BJS is a serious talent.

Would be a funny event too if you could get a couple of Furys on the card - full on pikey overload!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 10 Jun 2013, 6:15 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:Agreed Reeborn. I saw the interview and he looks shocked to say the least!

Hennessey's marquee fighters are all idiots and hard to like.

If I was Mick I would cash out this year with the following farewell fights:

Haye vs Fury

Degale vs Groves 2 (inlikely)

Degale vs Eubank Jr

In the interview Degale alleged there is bad blood between him and Eubank Jr which stems from Degale giving him a pasting in sparring which I can believe.

Eubank Jr was the one that said that and he said it was the other way around.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down