The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 606v2 Lions Selection Flyhalf

+11
Taylorman
glamorganalun
SecretFly
Duty281
nobbled
theslosty
GunsGerms
munkian
LondonTiger
Ozzy3213
pete (buachaill on eirne)
15 posters

Go down

Who would YOU start against the Wallabies (flyhalf)?

The 606v2 Lions Selection Flyhalf Vote_lcap83%The 606v2 Lions Selection Flyhalf Vote_rcap 83% 
[ 49 ]
The 606v2 Lions Selection Flyhalf Vote_lcap8%The 606v2 Lions Selection Flyhalf Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 5 ]
The 606v2 Lions Selection Flyhalf Vote_lcap8%The 606v2 Lions Selection Flyhalf Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 59

The 606v2 Lions Selection Flyhalf Empty The 606v2 Lions Selection Flyhalf

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:02 am

Alright guys!

I figured we could get this going to give us a bit of a heads up on the general consensus of opinions for Lions Test shirts. We'll have a starting XV in no time BUT I am going to leave vote cancelling on so people can change their minds over the next 8 days or so.

Keep the debate honest and punch above the belt.  The 606v2 Lions Selection Flyhalf 496889

ps: remember this is not a prediction, it is a "who would YOU select" poll.

Sexton
The overwhelming favourite for the shirt. He is a big game player as evidence in some of Leinster's bigger games. His range of passing is simply excellent and he runs the ball to the line to create options for others or take it on himself. He kicks the line well and is an excellent defender. His one main weakness is his goal kicking which is very good but perhaps not perfect.

Farrell
Has really underwhelmed on tour so far, has made some bad decisions and has executed some aspects of his game badly at times. At the same time his goalkicking is outstanding and he offers some toughness in defense.

Hogg
A massive long shot placed in here but Gatland did the same when selecting him as the third flyhalf. Showed against Combined Country that he can play the position but we have no idea to what level. His goal kicking appears good and he is a very smart rugby brain with excellent skills. He also has a rifle kick from hand.

Ok guys get the debate started and get the votes coming in. 
Much love.
Buachaill

Back to top Go down

The 606v2 Lions Selection Flyhalf Empty Re: The 606v2 Lions Selection Flyhalf

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:19 am

I'll be astonished if this is not a 100% selection for Sexton.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:24 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:I'll be astonished if this is not a 100% selection for Sexton.

I hate any one being elected unopposed. always reminds me of a dictatorship Wink

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:25 am

Farrell has done better than I thought, Sexton has looked a little shakey.

Saying that, Sexton is less volitile and is an attacking 10, Farrell stands too deep for my liking.

If Phillips is 9 I think we need an attacking and creative 10 so Sexton for me with Farrelll to steady the ship if need be from the bench
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:28 am

Farrell has been good. Sexton offers more and is also a good leader. Sexton to start. Farrell able deputy.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Farrell had a poor first game and a decent second game. That is not enough form to displace Sexton who looked very good in his only full game, albeit with an armchair ride.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:55 pm

Looking forward to seeing Sexton tomorrow in a tougher game and with some starters around him

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:55 pm

How do i deactivate my account?

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Sexton - he's the key to getting the backs in and scoring.
Farrell is fine as understudy. He is only 21 after all.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:18 pm

It should be a no-contest, I voted for Sexton.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:58 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Ozzy3213 wrote:I'll be astonished if this is not a 100% selection for Sexton.

I hate any one being elected unopposed. always reminds me of a dictatorship Wink

You're right. I think there should be a fight-off between Charles and William for the crown. Wink A joust maybe. Charles wins coz he knows more about horses and things.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:10 pm

Is Sexton going to be fit? I voted Sexton as there is little choice, we are not well off for 10's, even Seton is flakey.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:29 pm

3 full tests with Sexton still looking like he's coming off injury and not having played a match of test match intensity has to be a concern- for one if hes injured, and another if hes not. lets hope we dont find we have to find late in the second test that he should not have played.

Being selected for ability is one thing, being selected beacause youre the best of 3 average to poor choices is another.  Easily the biggest concern for this side...10.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:31 pm

I voted for Farrell. Because no one knows if Sexton is going to be 100% fit. 

How can any one say on this tour that Sexton is better than Farrell or Farrell is better than Sexton? when neither of them as been put under pressure yet.

Then again if, if Gatland had brought more than 2 fly half's the Lions would not be in the mess they are tight now.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:23 am

Taylorman wrote:3 full tests with Sexton still looking like he's coming off injury and not having played a match of test match intensity has to be a concern- for one if hes injured, and another if hes not. lets hope we dont find we have to find late in the second test that he should not have played.

Being selected for ability is one thing, being selected beacause youre the best of 3 average to poor choices is another.  Easily the biggest concern for this side...10.

Given that a side needs a 10 to play, who would you have taken for the Lion's tour?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:16 am

Sexton for me, with Hogg on the bench.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:40 am

SecretFly wrote:
Taylorman wrote:3 full tests with Sexton still looking like he's coming off injury and not having played a match of test match intensity has to be a concern- for one if hes injured, and another if hes not. lets hope we dont find we have to find late in the second test that he should not have played.

Given that a side needs a 10 to play, who would you have taken for the Lion's tour?

Sextons clearly the best option, its just whether he's up to leading the attack at this level given the last few months. Its bigger than anything he's had to do so far and with so little experience/ confidence in others behind him the buck stops there with him.

The two 10's that have gone are the right two, but one coming off injury and one off his game puts the Lions in a fragile state in this area. Forget the leadups, the club form from the Lions perspective- they mean nothing in this context- past Lions tours prove this completely. Theyre going to have to pick 1/2p as a back up kicker as Sextons shoulders have to pick up the weight there as well. Injury to Sexton- and that is not an unlikely scenario over three tests will bring Farrell into the equation and more weight on ones shoulders with the limited experienced.

Nothing wrong with the selections...theyre just in a very fragile state for the magnitude required for this.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:41 am

How the new software/ version allows the quote to updated the 'quoted' I don't know...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:14 am

I have to disagree here. Sexton has a tight hamstring but if he does it is down to this tour. He started an amlin semi and final and also a pro12 semi and final. The amlinn may have been second tier but I can tell you right now the games against Glasgow and ulster were HEC level in terms of intensity and at a higher level of impact that anything seen on the lions tour thus far (reds possibly excepting). He came through those games in superb fashion. Im not sure what better prep he could have got.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:53 am

Regardless of where he got the injury if hes injured then they have a problem obviously. It means between the 3 they have one carrying injury, and two nowhere near experienced enough to carry a series like this, with Farrell showing Priestland like confidence through most of this year.

They'll need a good break somewhere. All I'm saying is if they have an achilles heel, 10 is likely it.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:59 am

Meanwhile its good to see an alzheimer complete Dwyers comments that all the Lions need to do is cheat to win the series- which is why they have chosen a Kiwi as coach...interesting...that Kiwi coaches are getting chased all over the world so they can spread the art of...cheating!

Well said Dwyer...your room's ready...

http://au.eurosport.com/rugby/lions-tour/2013/former-australia-coach-labels-lions-serial-cheats_sto3802782/story.shtml

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:22 am

I cannot believe it.............!

10 posters voted for either Farrell or Hogg, I though this was a Rugby site!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down